• Published 11th May 2014
  • 9,513 Views, 416 Comments

The Shimmer of Magic - Hakuno



Sunset Shimmer is stuck again in the human world. Struggling with the consequences of her actions, she must redeem herself with the help of five girls and a very interested magician.

  • ...
24
 416
 9,513

25. Treating Trixie

Chapter 25. Treating Trixie

Golden Oak Hospital was the best private hospital in Canterlot. It had the best doctors and nurses, the best customer service, the best equipment, and the best facilities. It was Canterlot’s best hospital, and second of the whole country.

That suited Sunset just fine, because there was a very comfortable sofa in Trixie’s room, and along with the bed, it was placed right in front of the plasma T.V. that hung from the wall.

The one bad thing about Golden Oak, was that while they had the best facilities and equipment, they completely neglected the T.V. service. There were very few channels, and all of them were boring too. Sunset had been changing channels for an hour straight, looping through the same ones over and over.

“If you’re bored, go home,” Trixie said. “Or go to work… Don’t the brothers need you, or something?”

Sunset sighed, letting her arm which she used to hold the remote fall on the sofa. “Nah, I told them what happened, and that I’d be with you till you get out of the hospital. They agreed without a second thought.”

Trixie raised an eyebrow. “Really now?”

“Well…” Sunset lifted her shoulders. “I may have made them feel a little bit guilty… But honestly, if they hadn’t lost the documents, I would’ve come with you, and my bitchy doppelganger wouldn’t have hurt you.”

“Which makes me wonder what would’ve happened if you two had met.”

Sunset shrugged. “We probably would’ve furiously made out in the middle of the fair.”

Trixie rolled her eyes, but started entertaining the thought.

“And,” Sunset continued, “I was going to go home, but after seeing how laughable this T.V. service is, I couldn’t just leave you alone to die of boredom.” She changed the channel. “I mean, I don’t have a T.V. in my house, and I have better entertaining means than this so-called prestigious hospital. “She changed the channel again. “Can’t they spend a few more bucks for…” She suddenly became silent.

Trixie looked at Sunset for a moment, and then at the T.V. It was a sports channel, one that have been showing a tennis match for the past two hours, or at least that’s what Trixie gathered, since Sunset changed channel within two seconds. But now, the match had ended, and in its place, there was what looked like a motocross competition, if the irregular, brown field and the distinctive bikes were any indication.

“I didn’t know you liked motocross,” Trixie said.

Sunset hummed. “I don’t know yet, myself. What is it about? A race of some kind?”

“Yes,” Trixie answered with a shrug. “But I don’t know anything besides that.”

“Mhm, I think I’ll watch it and decide.”

“Suit yourself,” Trixie said, leaning back and looking at the ceiling. “By the way, I was thinking about your Halloween costume…”

Sunset groaned. “I can wear whatever you want, but do I really have to go out for candy?”

“Yes,” Trixie answered, nodding. “I want you to use something sexy, you can pick whatever you want, I bet Rarity will help you.”

Sunset slumped back on the sofa. “I will get my revenge. I’m just warning you.”

Trixie shrugged. “And now that that’s decided, I want to have a sleepover with you girls.”

“Really now?”

“I already asked my parents, and they said yes,” Trixie continued. “My bedroom is big enough to fit the eight of us, if you use sleeping bags.”

Sunset sighed. “I’ll tell the girls.”

“No need, I already sent messages to them,” Trixie said with a grin, showing Sunset her cellphone. “Four out of six have agreed. Only Applejack and the yellow one are yet to confirm.”

“Since when you have your phone?” Sunset asked.

“Since yesterday,” Trixie answered simply. “I knew the hospital’s T.V. service is awful, so I asked my mom to give it to me.”

Sunset huffed. “Well, ok then. You play with your phone, I’ll watch this motocross thing in the meantime.”

“Sure thing, Sunny.”

“It was sarcasm.”

“I know,” Trixie said, turning her attention back to her phone.

~~~~~~~~

Trixie was allowed to go home in the morning, and her parents had immediately taken her home. Sunset went to her apartment to get a nice, hot shower, and called Rarity to visit her after school ended.

Of course, Rarity agreed, and Sunset now found herself sitting on a fancy red couch in the boutique while Rarity worked on some costumes.

“Honestly, Sunset, I’d love to make a Halloween costume for you,” Rarity said as her hands sewed with practiced ease two pieces of fabric together. “Your shape is really enviable, and I rarely have the chance to make clothes for girls like you.”

Sunset snickered. “Maybe for another occasion. I already picked my costume, as per Trixie’s request.”

“Oh? I kind of assumed… Given you’re here and all. Why did you want to meet then?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I thought friends could visit each other without ulterior motives. Or are you saying that you and your friends only see each other when you need favors?” Rarity frowned, and Sunset laughed. “Hey, I’m kidding, no need to dig holes in my head.”

Rarity stared for a few seconds, and resumed her work. “Returning to the subject, what are you going to go as?”

“That’s a secret,” Sunset answered simply.

Rarity huffed. “Rainbow wants to be a zombie, and said she’ll just tear some old clothes. Pinkie always goes as Glinda. Always. And dear Twilight said she’ll use a labcoat and say she’s a mad scientist.” She sighed. “Only Applejack and Fluttershy accepted my help with their costumes.”

“What are they going to be?”

“Applejack will be a vampire, and Fluttershy wants to be a bear.”

“A bear?”

“A non-scary, huggable and with a full-face mask on bear,” Rarity confirmed.

Sunset chuckled. “That’s strangely fitting.”

“You tell me,” Rarity said with a roll of her eyes. “Fluttershy always brings animals to whatever she does. Don’t get me wrong, I find it cute. But it gets so predictable…” She held the fabrics in front of her for a moment before working on them again. “I love the girls, but it’s hard to experiment with different styles when they all pick the same things over and over again. That’s why I wanted to do something for you and Trixie.”

Sunset slumped back on the couch. “Trixie said she wanted to be a mummy, but she won’t be able to leave her house, so I don’t think she’ll even dress up.”

“And to make it worse,” Rarity continued. “We go to college next year. I don’t think we’ll be able to gather as much by then. We all will study different things, and I think only Fluttershy and Pinkie will go to the same college. And don’t get me started with you and Trixie.”

“Yeah, if things go as planned, Trixie will already have debuted in big scenarios, probably even on T.V.”

Rarity made a face, dropping her hands on her lap and looking at Sunset. “I sometimes wonder if our friendship will survive after high school…”

Sunset shrugged. “I don’t see why not. Even if you just gather once a year, you should still be best friends. Only immature people think that distance destroys friendships.”

“We,” Rarity said. “You are a part of our group.”

“Whatever.”

“And Trixie too, of course,” Rarity added. “It’s funny, though. I never thought we’d be friends with her. Not that she’s a bad girl, mind you, but she was kind of like you, driving everyone away by pretending to be so self-centered and obnoxious.”

Sunset looked up at the ceiling. “Yeah, I thought so, too. Imagine my surprise when she started hitting on me.” She snickered.

“I do think you two are doing so much good to each other,” Rarity said. “It would’ve been a lot harder to help you trust us without her, and she’d still be searching for a way to begin her magic career.”

Sunset sighed heavily. “The other day, at the mall, I only half joked… I seriously don’t know what I would’ve done without her, after… you know…”

“Yes,” Rarity answered with a nod. “I think you’ll be happy to know that Lyra was expelled, after all.”

“No kidding?” Sunset said, and Rarity nodded again. “Well, I don’t really know how to feel about it. And… I don’t want to think about it.”

“That’s understandable,” Rarity agreed. “Anyway, I better hurry with these costumes. I will make Applejack and Fluttershy look so good, the others will ask me to make more clothes for them!”

Sunset only laughed.

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the week went by in a blink.

Sunset returned to her work at the emporium in the mornings, and visited Rarity in the afternoons.

She had wanted to visit Trixie, maybe even with the excuse to bring her homework, but not only did Pinkie email her everything, but Trixie herself told her to go until Halloween, since she wanted to have some rest and get everything ready for the sleepover. That, and Trixie wanted to see their parents’ reaction at Sunset’s costume.

Too bad Sunset had something different in mind.

And now, the dreaded Halloween had come. Sunset had a few hours to prepare before meeting the girls at Sugarcube Corner at seven to start with their candy hunt. She had to buy a few things, but she knew it would be worth the effort at the end of the day.

It was a quarter to seven, and Sunset arrived at Sugarcube Corner, quickly spotting the group of girls waiting for her. She really didn’t want to go out for candy, but she reckoned that it was a small price to pay for what she had in store for Trixie.

“Hey girls,” Sunset said as she approached them.

“Hello, Sun-What are you wearing?!” Rarity screamed.

“My costume, obviously,” Sunset answered amusedly. She had decided to grab a blanket, cut two holes in it, and put it on, covering her whole body. “I’m a ghost.” She lifted her arms and made ghost noises, just to prove her point.

“I could have made you look like a real ghost!” Rarity said.

“Oh, come on, Rarity, give her a break,” Rainbow intervened. She had torn some of her father’s old clothes and stained them with dirt and red paint, trying to resemble a zombie. “I bet she put a lot of effort into it.”

“Laugh as much as you want, Speedy,” Sunset said. “I’m doing this for Trixie, not for you.”

“Aww that’s so sweet!” Pinkie said. She was wearing a very pink dress, a golden tiara, and a pink wand. Sunset failed to recognize where was it from. Pinkie then looked at what Sunset was carrying. “But, why do you have two candy buckets?”

Sunset made a face that was thankfully hidden beneath her costume. She held the one she had on her right hand. “This one has a set of spare clothes. Unlike you, I don’t want to return home still in disguise.”

“Aww where’s the fun in that?” Pinkie whined

Sunset rolled her eyes. She then turned to look at the rest of the girls.

Rarity was using a black dress, with a black cape, black heels, and a black pointy hat; she was a witch. Fluttershy was using a full bear suit that somehow looked stylish and cute. Applejack was using an antique suit, a black cape, and fake fangs for her vampire costume. And finally, Twilight had put on a lab coat upon her normal attire, and claimed to be a mad scientist.

Sunset felt self-aware of the ridiculousness of her own attire all of a sudden, but paid it no mind. She wanted to watch Trixie’s reaction, and it was going to be so worth it.

And so, with Sunset’s arrival, the gang began their tour through the city. Pinkie had brought a hand drawn map that started at Sugarcube Corner and ended at Trixie’s house, passing through what she called “the best candy gathering places” in Canterlot.

The streets were filled with disguised children running around, some in groups, some accompanied by their parents. Laughter and chants to either get candy or get pranked reminded Sunset of a very similar holiday back in Equestria, and made her reminisce of all those wasted years, locked away from what she considered nonsense.

And now, here she was, most likely the oldest person to ever go around asking for candy like a nine year old. She wondered if the girls were aware of her real age, and if not, how would they react?

What would Trixie say?

She supposed it was a matter to discuss later, as she approached the first door to get candy. She let her friends do the chanting while she just held her empty bucket.

“Aren’tcha girls a little old for this?” The old woman asked while dropping a piece of candy into each bucket.

“You’re never too old for candy!” Pinkie answered happily.

The old woman chuckled. “You won’t be saying that when you lose all your teeth.”

Half the rest of people they visited said something similar, and Pinkie answered the very same thing. The other half only rolled their eyes. But all of the houses they visited gave them candy. By the time they reached the last house, Sunset’s bucket was full of multicolored candy, lollipops, chocolates, and more.

“I’ll say this year was really good,” Rarity said as they walked away from the last house. “I wish we could’ve done it last year, too.”

Rarity was about to apologize to Sunset for the comment, but Sunset spoke up before she had the chance. “I think I did you a favor. A bunch of grown up girls asking for candy? Did you even notice how everyone looked at us? I’m glad no one recognized me.”

“If you don’t like it, then why did you agree to this?” Rainbow asked.

Sunset shrugged. “I guess I wanted to experience this thing at least once. I always ignored it back in Equestria, and let’s say I didn’t want to miss it this one time.”

“You have Halloween in Equestria?” Twilight asked.

“Well, it’s a very similar holiday, but its background is different, and we celebrate it during the winter solstice, when the night is longer.”

“That’s on December, right?” Twilight inquired further. “Pretty near Christmas here, what about it?”

“Well-”

“Oh! Oh!” Pinkie interrupted them. “You totally gotta wait and tell those stories when we get to Trixie’s!”

Sunset rolled her eyes, but smiled nonetheless. “Alright.”

They walked up through Canterlot towards the nicest part. As the sun hid in the horizon, and the street light began to turn on, the streets changed too, going from asphalt to cobblestone. The houses were suddenly bigger, with larger gardens and more space between them. Kids still walked around asking for candy, but Sunset noticed that their costumes were a lot better, probably a lot more expensive, too.

The girls couldn’t avoid talking about it, commenting on how nice everything looked.

Sunset recognized a little bit, since she had crossed all the way of the biggest avenue to the Rich mansion. This time, however, Pinkie, who was the one leading the group, did a turn halfway there, navigating through the ample streets until they reached a private. The houses here were a little bit bigger, but they weren’t mansions at all.

A few more minutes of walking later, Pinkie stopped in front of a three story high sky blue house with white corners. Next to it, there was a garage big enough to fit at least two cars. The front lawn was really beautiful, with perfectly well kept rose bushes. It didn’t have a fence, only a single, curvy cobblestone path from the sidewalk to the front door, which was a very fancy wooden door with a blurry window in the middle.

“This is Trixie’s house?” Rainbow asked. “It’s huge!”

“Ah reckon Ah didn’t expect this,” Applejack agreed. “Ah knew her family has money, but this is another level…”

“I think we should get moving before people start thinking we want trouble,” Twilight suggested.

“Good idea,” Rarity answered with a nod and walked towards the entrance, being closely followed by the rest of the girls. She reached the doorbell and waited.

The door opened moments after, revealing a middle aged woman with blue skin, the same shade as Trixie’s, her long emerald hair rested on her shoulders, and her eyes were soft and purple.

“Oh, I’m sorry, we’re out of candy,” the woman said.

“Ah, uh, we’re Trixie’s friends,” Rarity said. “My name is Rarity.”

The woman’s face lit up at that, and she finished opening the door. “Oh! You’re here! Please come in, come in!” She said as the girls walked inside. She closed the door behind them and guided them to the living room. “I’m Trixie’s mother, you can call me Selene. Make yourselves at home!”

The interior was elegant, yet simple. The white walls had wooden corners, and the floor was light brown tiles with rhomboid patterns. In the living room there were two stylish light gray couches and one armchair of the same color, all surrounding a single glass coffee table that was in front of a plasma T.V. that was upon a black entertainment unit. And the whole place was decorated with plans of various kinds.

“Thanks!” Pinkie said. “I’m Pinkie Pie!”

“Twilight Sparkle,” Twilight said, shaking Selene’s hand.

“Ah’m Applejack,” Applejack said with a solemn nod. “These here are Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.” The named girls waved their hands.

“And I’m Sunset,” Sunset said, with a lot less decibels than usual.

Selene looked at her, and her smile hardened a little bit, but only Sunset seemed to notice. She blinked and shook her head. “I’m sorry, I’m still wrapping my head over what Trixie told us.”

Sunset gulped and couldn’t help but ask, “about how much I look like the one that hurt her, right?”

“Yes,” Selene asked, resting her face on her left hand. “You must feel really weird, knowing that there’s a sociopath out there that is your exact same image, and even has the same name! I would cover my face too, if I were you.” She smiled weakly. “But don’t worry, we know the truth, so you’re safe.”

“T-Thanks…”

“Anyway, I’ll tell Trixie you’re here, and then return to the kitchen. I can’t abandon the cookies in the oven, you see.”

“Wait,” Sunset said. “Can I go tell her? I, uh, I also gotta give her something she asked me for.”

Selene chuckled. “I can give it to her for you.”

“She asked me to give it personally,” she lied, closing the distance with Selene and lowering her voice to a whisper. “I think it’s a surprise for her dad.”

“Oh, alright then. I will go to the kitchen then,” Selene said. “Just go upstairs, second door to the right. It has her name written on it, so you can’t miss it.”

“Thank you,” Sunset said before turning to her friends. “I’ll go get Trixie. You guys gonna be alright?”

“Just go already,” Rainbow said. “And take your time, I don’t want to see you two ki-”

Sunset immediately closed the distance between them, placing a hand on Rainbow’s mouth, effectively silencing her. She looked behind her, making sure that Selene was gone, and then at Rainbow again.

“I will tell you this just once, Speedy,” Sunset said in a low, threatening voice. “I normally don’t care about your teasing, but Trixie’s parents must not, for any reason, know about her relationship with me. If you say something about it in front of them, I swear I’ll tear your tongue apart with a pair of kitchen tongs, get it?” Rainbow’s response was a single nod. “Good.” Sunset stepped back and smiled. “Now, I’ll go for Trixie, you guys wait here!” And with that, she walked away.

After a long silence, Twilight spoke up. “Are we really sure this is the good Sunset?”

Sunset walked up the stairs, admiring the various frames that decorated the walls. They all were photos of Trixie’s family in various periods of time. There was one that caught Sunset’s attention the most; it was of a five year old Trixie, dressed with a really cute blue dress, her hair was short, and a few teeth were missing from her ear-to-ear smile. It was really cute, and Sunset made a mental note to take a photo of it with her phone later.

She got to the second floor of the house and quickly found Trixie’s bedroom door. There were a lot more portraits hanging from the walls, but she decided to ignore them for now. She got in front of Trixie’s door and knocked thrice. There was no answer, so Sunset grabbed the knob and moved it a little to make some noise, when she met silence again, she opened the door.

Trixie’s room was, indeed, quite big, probably the size of half of Sunset’s apartment. A single bed was placed in the middle of the farthest wall, covered with a navy blue quilt. The walls were a light purple with golden details. A single, white desk was placed at one side of the bed, while a drawer was at the other side, and a dresser with a big, oval mirror decorated the opposite wall. And finally, there was yet another door in the remaining wall.

It was empty, though, which Sunset found weird. “Trixie?” She called out instinctively.

“Sunset?” Trixie’s voice came from the door inside her room. “I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Alright,” Sunset said with a devious smile. It was her chance.

Sunset closed the door behind her, finding a lock in the knob and turning it. Then, she took her stupid ghost costume off and dropped it near the door. Finally free of that suffocating thing, Sunset walked up to Trixie’s bed and lied down on it. Then, she patiently waited.

Trixie opened the door of what looked like a small bathroom inside her room. She was using a set of light blue pajamas, and was using a towel to dry off her hair. “Sorry, I was taking a shower. I didn’t expect you this ear… ly…” She said, dropping her towel as she laid eyes on Sunset.

Sunset was using a very revealing set of red and black lingerie, and she had adopted a very seductive pose on Trixie’s bed. She grinned, staring at Trixie with bed eyes, and made small circles on the bed with a finger.

“Well, hello there, Trix,” Sunset said with a provocative voice. “You look like you’re recovering quite fast.”

Trixie, on her part, was gaping. Her face was frozen in what could only be described as a dumbfounded expression. She blinked slowly, and took her time to find her voice.

“What in the world are you wearing?”

Sunset faked a pout. “What? You said something sexy, and I don’t think there’s a sexier costume than…” she gestured to her own body with her hand. “... this.”

“I… You… But…” Trixie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “I trust you brought a change of clothes… You have ten minutes to change into that.”

Sunset felt a knot in her stomach. “What?” She frowned a little, feeling confused. “Don’t you like it?”

“Just do it!” Trixie said and went back to her bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Sunset straightened up, staring confused at the closed door. As she took off the lingerie and donned the loose purple t-shirt, panties, and pair of jeans, she wondered what had she done wrong. Why had Trixie reacted like that? Had it been too much?

Once she was ready, Sunset saved the lingerie inside a pitch black plastic bag to ensure nobody found it. She sat down on the bed and took a deep breath.

“You can come out,” Sunset called, hearing her own voice cracking a little bit.

Trixie slowly opened the door, peeking for a moment before fully coming out. She had taken the time to brush her hair a little bit. Her frown was all Sunset needed to know that she wasn’t happy at all.

Sunset rested her hands on her lap and looked up at Trixie. “So… Are you ok?”

Trixie didn’t immediately answer, choosing to remain silent instead for a few seconds. She forced a steady breath for a moment. “No,” was her only answer.

Lowering her head a little, Sunset gulped. Trixie didn’t seem to want to speak, and as time passed, Sunset felt more uncomfortable. She looked around, finding the bucket of candy sitting nearby. She took it and showed it to Trixie.

“Here’s the candy, I don’t know much about it, but Pinkie says it’s good,” Sunset said with a forced, awkward smile.

“I’m sure…” Trixie began. “Sunset, I…” She looked away, hugging herself. “I’m sorry, I’m not ready…”

Sunset tilted her head a little. A thousand thoughts went through her mind, but only one word came out from her mouth. “What?”

Trixie’s frown became one of guilt. “I…” Her jaw stiffened a little as she worked some silent words. “I know that you’ve done it before, but… I-I’m not ready… I know you must be getting impatient, or mad, but…”

“Woah, wait, hold on a second,” Sunset interrupted her. “Trixie, you know I was only teasing you, right?” For a moment, Trixie didn’t answer, but her widened eyes was the only answer Sunset needed. “Trixie…” Sunset started with a weak, apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, I think I went too far this time.” She breathed sharply. “You said I had to wear something sexy, but…” She sighed. “I’m sorry I made you think I wanted something else.”

Trixie blushed, but finally looked at Sunset. “You… You’re not mad?”

“No, why would I?” Sunset asked, offering a supportive smile. “I’m not a sex crazed teenager. I can wait.”

Closing her eyes for just a moment, Trixie sighed. She walked up to Sunset and sat down next to her. “Listen, I… I like you, a lot. I don’t know yet if I… you know, want to do it or not, yet… What I don’t want to happen, is that I start obsessing over you… You know it didn’t go well with my first girlfriend…”

Sunset smiled. “I see. I like you too, Trixie. And I’m sure I like you more than any other partner I’ve had…” She placed a hand on Trixie’s shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze. “I’m curious, though. What do you look like being obsessed?”

Trixie looked away. “I don’t want to talk about it. It’s… embarrassing.”

“Oh, come on,” Sunset said. “My own girlfriend told me to cover up in the bedroom. I think we’re well past embarrassing at this point.”

“Shut up,” Trixie muttered. She took a deep breath and sighed. “I… I don’t want to admit it, but I was stupid crazy, and not the good kind. I took things way too far, to unhealthy levels…” She shook her head. “I don’t want it to happen again… I don’t want to hurt you…”

Sunset placed her hand upon Trixie’s and gently squeezed it. “Don’t worry, Trix. I’ll wait till you’re ready. And I’ll also try to be less, uh… provocative.”

Trixie smiled, and leaned in for a quick kiss. “Thank you.”

“Now, I think we should get going. Your mom might get suspicious if we take too long.”

“Agreed.”

Trixie stood up and made her way to the door, and that was when Sunset finally noticed that something was different on Trixie.

She wasn’t using heels.

“Hey, Trixie?” Sunset asked as she stood up. When Trixie turned around, Sunset looked around, faking a confused expression. “Where did you go?”

Trixie’s cheeks puffed as she blushed and frowned. “Shut up.”

Sunset laughed and closed the distance between them, trapping Trixie in a tight hug, resting her chin on top of Trixie’s head. “Oh, don’t be like that. You know I like me some tiny Trixie.”

Trixie groaned, but instead of trying to pull herself away, she circled her arms around Sunset.

They hugged in silence for a few seconds, and then made their way to the living room, where the girls were engaged in a very intense game of UNO. Twilight, Rainbow, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy were silently staring at their cards, whilst Pinkie narrated every move of theirs as if she was the secondary character tasked with exposition in an animated series.

“Oh! The wild draw four!” Pinkie yelled when Rainbow made her move. “What color will she choose?!”

“Does it matter?” Rainbow asked. “Rarity will have to draw four cards, anyway.”

“You don’t know that,” Rarity said. “I may be able to do something. That’s why you have to say a color.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Alright. Red.”

Rarity grinned, and she placed a red draw two card.

“Incredible! Rarity managed to avoid Rainbow’s trap, and now is making Applejack draw six cards!” Pinkie narrated. “Will Applejack be able to save her hand?!”

“Hey!” Trixie interrupted them. “How dare you have fun in Trixie’s house without Trixie?!”

Rainbow looked up at her with a frown. “You two were taking too long! We got bored!”

“Don’t worry, Trixie!” Pinkie said. “We just started, so you two can join!”

“Do we even have enough cards?” Twilight asked. “The deck is too thin as it is.”

Pinkie’s smile widened. “I got you covered!” She said, and immediately produced a new deck seemingly out of nowhere.

The girls scooted over to make space for Sunset and Trixie while Pinkie grabbed the cards and shuffled them.

“You look good, Trixie,” Twilight said. “I’m glad your injury wasn’t that bad.”

“Thankfully,” Trixie answered. “But it still hurts a lot if I make sudden movements.”

“But, you’re going to be alright, right?” Fluttershy asked. “Oh, it must’ve been a horrible experience, to be attacked by Sunset’s version of this world…” Her eyes widened as she looked at Sunset. “N-Not that I’m saying you’re still evil! I-It’s just that-”

“Shy, it’s fine,” Rainbow interrupted Fluttershy, placing a hand on her shoulder. “Sunset knows what you mean.”

When Fluttershy looked at her, Sunset nodded. “Yeah, no need to worry.” That seemed to calm Fluttershy, as the girl’s shoulders visibly relaxed.

“Changing subject,” Rarity said, looking at Trixie with a smile. “I must say I’m impressed with your house! It’s simply divine! The decor is simple, but very stylish. You must tell me who decorated it!”

“That would be me,” Selene answered as she approached the girls with a plate of homemade cookies. “I’m an interior designer, and I have a preference for simplistic decor.” She placed the cookies upon the table. “If you want, I can give you a business card.”

Rarity’s eyes lit up. “Yes, please! I’ve been thinking of remodeling my boutique for some time.”

Selene giggled. “Well then, I’ll give you my card in a bit, and you can call me anytime during the week.” She straightened up and looked at Trixie. “Your father will arrive at midnight, so be sure to move the sleepover to your room by then.”

“Sure thing,” Trixie answered.

Selene smiled and walked away.

“So,” Pinkie said, placing the tripled deck of cards in the center and looking at everyone. “We have a few hours to see who’ll win at this. And once in Trixie’s room, Sunset shall tell us her version of halloween.”

Trixie turned to Sunset with an inquisitive raised eyebrow. “Your version of halloween?”

Sunset shrugged. “If I say no to Pinkie, her spirit will haunt me forever.”

Trixie only stared back at her.

~~~~~~~~

It was an intense showdown, with Pinkie’s absurd luck, Twilight’s strategy, and Sunset’s heartless moves, but in the end, surprisingly enough, it was Fluttershy who won. The girls argued a little bit, but in the end, they all accepted defeat and quietly moved to Trixie’s room.

They all had brought their own sleeping bag, having hidden them in their costumes. Everyone except Sunset, though, who had thought that she’d sleep with Trixie in her bed, but after her stupid stunt with the lingerie, she wasn’t so sure about it anymore. And now, as the girls prepared their sleeping bags, she wondered if she should ask Trixie’s mother for some quilts and sheets.

“What’s the matter Shimmy-Shim?” Pinkie asked.

Sunset blinked, realizing that everyone was looking at her. “I, uh… I forgot my sleeping bag,” she lied.

“Really?” Rainbow asked. “You brought a spare change of clothes, but forgot your sleeping bag?”

Sunset frowned at her. “Yes, try to keep up.”

“No worries Shimmy!” Pinkie said, producing a very pink sleeping bag from her own sleeping bag. “I got you covered!”

With a blank look on her face, Sunset stood silent for a few seconds. “You know what? I’m not even going to ask.” She took the bag and placed at the immediate right to Trixie’s bed. “I just wish you liked colors other than pink. Especially one so… garish.”

“Pink is fun!”

“Uh huh.”

“Anyway, now that everything’s in place…” Pinkie said, walking over to the light switch. “It’s time for horror stories!” She announced, turning the lights off and immediately after turning a flashlight on just below her face.

Applejack sighed. “Here we go.”

“What’s the matter AJ? Scared?” Rainbow teased.

But before Applejack could start arguing, Pinkie interrupted them. “Sunset promised to tell us a horror story!” She said, giving the flashlight to Sunset.

“No, I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did,” Pinkie replied. “You know, about Equestria’s version of Halloween!”

Sunset sighed sharply. “It’s not really a horror story. It’s just a made up legend Celestia created so that nobody would forget her sister… It didn’t really work out, though.”

“Oh, come on, Sunny,” Trixie said from upon her bed. “If you don’t tell a story, Rainbow Dash will start telling hers.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?!”

“Ugh, alright…” Sunset said, leaning back and pointing the flashlight to her face from below, casting shadows in her expressions. “Tis the story of Nightmare Moon, the mare in the moon.” She saw Rainbow rolling her eyes, but ignored her. “She haunts ponies on the longest nights, and chase them all like some puny mice. That’s why, every year, we put on a disguise to save ourselves from her searching eyes. But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: To gobble up ponies in one quick swing.”

She turned off the flashlight and stood up. “Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by.” She quietly walked behind the girls, making as little noise as possible with her feet. “If she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year. If she sees you and you must flee, there’s one trick that’ll help you live.” Lowering her voice, she made her way behind Trixie. “Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won’t return to come eat …” She paused and suddenly moved right to Trixie’s ear. “...you!”

Trixie yelled, and Sunset only recoiled back in a fit of laughter. “That wasn’t funny!”

“I disagree!” Sunset replied back, holding her stomach with both hands.

Twilight stood up and turned on the lights. “I think it was interesting. This is culture of another world we’re talking about, after all.” She cleared her throat and looked at Sunset. “So, which part of that story is true?”

Sunset took her time to calm down while Trixie only glared daggers at her. “None of it. Nightmare Moon is actually Princess Luna being corrupted, but she was sealed in the moon. The tale was created by Princess Celestia’s bards as per her request, so ponies wouldn’t forget about Luna. But after a thousand years, there are zero to none ponies that even think Nightmare Moon ever existed.”

“But then, how do you know she did exist?” Trixie asked.

“Because Celestia told me the truth,” Sunset answered simply. She then looked at Rainbow. “But anyway, it’s your time to tell a story.”

“Oh yeah! I’ve been waiting for this!”

Twilight turned off the lights again, and the girls sat down to listen to Rainbow. Sunset had conveniently forgotten to return to her sleeping bag, and stayed with Trixie on her bed for the rest of the evening, until Trixie forced her to return to her sleeping bag.

~~~~~~~~

After the story telling, the girls played a rather boring game of truth or dare. At first, Sunset had thought it would get pretty wild, but since it was in Trixie’s house, none of them dared dare the others do interesting stuff, especially after they heard Trixie’s father walk down the corridor.

And so, by three in the morning, they called it a night and went to sleep.

That was the plan, but Sunset was feeling very awake. She couldn’t just ignore the fact that she was sleeping in her girlfriend’s house, and right next to her. Especially after the lingerie fiasco. She rolled in her sleeping bag a few times over, but she just couldn’t drift off to slumber. She was starting to think that maybe it was Selene’s cookies.

After a few more sleepless turns, she heard sheets being pushed away. Doing her best to appear asleep, Sunset concentrated on the sounds. Feet quietly touching the floor, fabric brushing, and a door being painfully slowly opened, then closed.

Sunset stood up, finding Trixie’s bed empty. The first thing that crossed her mind was that maybe Trixie went to the restroom. Then again, there was one ready inside the bedroom. Thinking that maybe Trixie didn’t want to wake the girls, Sunset knelt down to tuck herself again. She waited for what felt like ten minutes, but Trixie didn’t return, so Sunset took it upon herself to see if something was wrong.

Being as quiet as Trixie before her, Sunset got out of the room. She immediately saw light coming from downstairs, so she followed it, doing her best to not make any sound, and thanking that the stairs weren’t made of very noisy wood.

Trixie was sitting on a couch, hugging her legs to her chest, and staring at a white candle upon the end table. Sunset approached her, being less quiet, as to not startle her.

“Hey Trix,” Sunset said with just enough volume to be heard.

Trixie turned her head towards Sunset and gave a small smile. “Hey.”

Sunset walked up to Trixie and sat down next to her. “Can’t sleep?”

“More or less,” Trixie answered with a sigh.

“What goes in that pretty head of yours?”

Trixie snorted, but immediately after made a face. “I don’t know… I… I feel strange…” She hugged her legs closer. “I know it’s… well, silly, but this is my first sleepover…” She paused for a few seconds in silence, then looked at Sunset. “You’re not laughing?”

Sunset blinked. “Why would I? Pinkie’s party was my first sleepover.”

“Oh…” Trixie blushed and turned to look at the candle again. “Then I feel even stupider.”

“What?” Sunset placed a hand on Trixie’s shoulder. “What’s wrong about it?”

“It’s stupid.”

“It’s not stupid. Come on, Trix, I won’t tell anyone.”

Trixie sighed heavily. “Well, it just feels really weird. When I was a kid, I always wanted to either go to a sleepover, or host one. But it never happened…” She narrowed her eyes. “I never had friends growing up… And suddenly, I find myself with six of them and a girlfriend… I-I said it was stupid.”

“Then you’re calling me stupid,” Sunset said. When Trixie looked at her, she only shrugged. “We’re in the same boat. If I don’t find it stupid, then why do you?”

“I don’t know, it’s just... “

Sunset waited for five whole seconds before asking, “Just what?”

Trixie looked away. “Nothing. Let’s go back to sleep.”

Groaning, Sunset gently shook Trixie’s shoulder. “Come on, Trix. You can’t leave me in the dark like this.”

Closing her eyes, Trixie sighed in defeat. “It’s Pinkie Pie. Of all the people with whom I’d possibly become friends, I never thought Pinkie was going to be one of them.”

“... Well, that’s the exact same thing I thought for a few weeks…” Sunset replied. “But… Why do you say that?”

Trixie shook her head in silence for a few moments. “I really don’t want to talk about it…” She turned to look at Sunset with a small frown. “Please, promise that no matter what I say next, you won’t laugh, or get mad, or just react weird.”

Sunset opened her mouth to answer, but closed it immediately. “I promise.”

Trixie smiled and looked away again. “I…” She sighed. “Pinkie’s oldest sister is my ex…”

For a moment, the only thing that Sunset did was blinking. “Really now?”

“Yes.”

“Uhm, alright… Lemme just- Lemme process it. You,” she said, pointing a finger at Trixie, “and a Pie sister?”

Taking a deep, slow breath, Trixie nodded. “I know it sounds weird now, but… At the time, it seemed perfectly normal.”

“Yeah, but… I mean, does Pinkie know?” Sunset asked, and Trixie only nodded. “Then, why does she never mention it? I mean, she doesn’t even act like she knows.”

“Not now…” Trixie could feel the raised eyebrow Sunset had, and she sighed. “After her sister broke up with me, Pinkie disappeared from my life, quite literally. I didn’t notice at first, and I really didn’t put much thought into it, but... “ She sighed again. “Sunset, have I told you I wanted to run for princess of the Fall Formal in freshman year?”

Sunset’s eyes widened in surprise. “Really?”

“Mhm… When I asked how I could sign for it, they told me to look for Pinkie Pie.” She snorted and shook her head. “I was completely and utterly unable to find her anywhere. Even though both students and teachers constantly told me that she was around, I never saw her, and thus, I was unable to run for the dance.”

“So, Pinkie was avoiding you,” Sunset said. “That’s kind of a jerk move from her part, and that’s coming from me.”

Trixie chuckled quietly. “Maybe, but Pinkie was really mad at me. I hurt her sister, so obviously she wanted to avoid even looking at me at all cost… I think she doesn’t even know I wanted to sign up for the contest.” She looked at Sunset and smiled warmly. “In hindsight, it’s a good thing that happened. Otherwise, you would’ve destroyed me.”

Sunset produced an awkward laugh.

“Well, I’m glad Pinkie forgave me. She’s proving to be a good business contact.”

“Wait, what do you mean Pinkie forgave you? You did nothing to her.”

Trixie groaned. “Are you paying attention? I hurt her sister.”

“She broke up with you. She hurt you, not the other way around!”

Trixie shushed. “Don’t be so loud.” She sighed. “I already told you I was unhealthily obsessed. I practically forced her to break up with me. That must’ve been a really hard decision. I mean, it’s me we’re talking about.” Sunset snorted. “Being serious, though. I have no idea what she told Pinkie, but it clearly made her hate me for the longest time.”

Sunset leaned back and sighed. “Have you two talked about it?”

“No… I think she knows how I feel, and that’s why she can see me as a friend.”

“I’m not really convinced about it,” Sunset said.

Trixie leaned back and rested her head on Sunset’s shoulder. “That’s how things are now. I may have felt terrible at the time, but I’m glad it happened. Otherwise, I wouldn’t’ve met you.”

Sunset circled Trixie with her arm and gently squeezed her. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right…” She closed her eyes and smiled. “Everything we’ve done have led us here, right?”

“Mhm…”

~~~~~~~~

Trixie felt something in her shoulder, and immediately after, her body was shaking. She opened her eyes, and blinked the blurriness away. A pair of sapphire blue eyes stared back at her.

“Wakie wakie!” Pinkie said, smiling brightly at Trixie.

Trixie frowned and narrowed her eyes. “Pinkie?”

“Yepperoni! I’m making pancakes!” Pinkie answered. “Also, you might wanna move a lil bit ‘fore your parents wake up.”

For a moment, Trixie didn’t understand what Pinkie was saying. Then, she felt a warm breeze at the top of her head. Looking up, her heart skipped a beat.

By the looks of it, she had fallen asleep on top of Sunset. She gasped and pushed herself up. It proved to be a grave mistake, as she felt a very squishy thing with her hand. Her face turned red and her heartbeat fastened to unhealthy levels as she retrieved her hand.

Pinkie giggled a little bit. “Well, Imma start cookin’! I’ll call you when the pancakes are ready!”

“Wait,” Trixie said as her mind started to clear up. “Pinkie, I…” She took a deep breath and gave Pinkie a sheepish smile. “Tell Maud I’m sorry.”

Pinkie opened her mouth to reply, then closed it and smiled back. “Okie dokie lokie!” And with that, she walked away.

A weight left Trixie’s shoulders, and almost instantly, there was some shifting beneath her.

“That was so cheesy,” Sunset said, still half asleep.

Trixie felt her whole face heating up. “Ah, uh, hey Sunny! Slept well?”

“Yeah…” Sunset replied lazily, not wanting to even straighten up. “Just answer me this: Why did you decide to wake me up by groping me?”

Trixie worked silent words for almost a full minute before she could answer. “I-I was not- y-you must’ve dreamt it!”

“Uh huh…” Sunset placed a hand on her chest and made a face. “Is this drool?”

“Pinkie needs my help in the kitchen, bye!” Trixie leaped to the floor, ignoring the pain in her stomach, and stormed into the kitchen.

Sunset only snickered.

Author's Note:

And thus, the myterious ex-girlfriend has been properly mentioned!