• Published 11th May 2014
  • 9,524 Views, 416 Comments

The Shimmer of Magic - Hakuno



Sunset Shimmer is stuck again in the human world. Struggling with the consequences of her actions, she must redeem herself with the help of five girls and a very interested magician.

  • ...
24
 416
 9,524

22. Never Trust a Hatless Magician

Chapter 22. Never Trust a Hatless Magician.

“I mean, I’m really grateful, honest,” Trixie said, walking down the path to the Rich Mansion’s front door. “But, a birthday party?”

For the hundredth time that week, Sunset rolled her eyes. “Trixie, seriously, I can’t find you anything better. You need experience, and this is as good an opportunity as any to build your curriculum vitae.” She gave Trixie a quick peck on the cheek. “Now, stop being a grumpy pants and put on a smile. You don’t want to give a bad first impression.”

“Fine,” Trixie said after an angry mumble. She managed to lift the corners of her mouth before Sunset rang the doorbell.

An old man in a tuxedo opened the door. He tiredly eyed the girls for a moment. “What can I do for you?”

Sunset cleared her throat. “This is Trixie Lulamoon,” she explained. “She’s the illusionist for Miss Tiara’s birthday.”

The old man breathed slowly. “Of course. Mr. Rich is expecting you.” He stepped aside. “Please come inside. He is in his office. Second door to the left.”

“Thank you,” Sunset replied and motioned Trixie to follow her.

The walk to the office was a short one, but Sunset could still marvel at the sight of the mansion’s interior. Ornaments of all kinds were carefully scattered around the place. paintings and decorative furniture and porcelain figures truly gave the feeling of wealth. It made her wonder why Diamond Tiara’s parents had enrolled her in a public school instead of a private one.

She lifted her hand in front of the office’s door, and then turned at Trixie, who had both hands inside her hoodie’s front pocket, moving them nervously. “Hey,” she placed a hand on Trixie’s shoulder. “Are you ok?”

“Just a little nervous,” Trixie answered.

Sunset glanced down at the hoodie’s pocket. “More like, really nervous,” she said, nodding and smirking at the hasty movements Trixie made. “I don’t think here’s the appropriate place for that kind of stress relief.”

Trixie rolled her eyes, taking one hand out and showing Sunset a deck of cards. “Playing with the cards like this helps me with anxiety,” she explained, then hid her hand into the pocket and began fiddling with the cards again.

“Alright,” Sunset said. She then knocked the door three times.

“Come in,” a deep voice called.

Sunset opened the door and was greeted by what she’d describe as the heaven of neat offices. The shelf at the far wall was a perfect array of books, the only decoration on the walls were the many diplomas and certificates that most likely belonged to Mr. Rich. And the desk was so clear and organized, Sunset thought she was dreaming.

The only reason she knew it wasn’t a dream was the middle age man sitting behind the desk, typing something in his laptop.

Sunset cleared her throat to draw his attention. “Good afternoon, my name is Sunset Shimmer. I’m Trixie Lulamoon’s manager.” She did her best to sound clear, calm, and professional, but for some reason, her legs were shaking like crazy.

Mr. Rich looked up at her. “Who?”

Sunset mentally smacked her face. “The Illusionist,” she answered, stepping inside the office. “I’m sure Pinkie Pie told you about her.”

“Oh, of course,” he said, looking towards Trixie, who was still at the door frame. “Please come in, and close the door.”

Trixie looked like she was going to say something, but instead nodded and did as she was told.

“You said your name is Sunset Shimmer.” Mr. Rich said, looking at Sunset again. “That name rings a few bells…”

Sunset froze, feeling a chill run through her spine. “I… Maybe you’ve heard a similar name?”

Mr. Rich observed her for five slow, unforgiving seconds. “Mhm, that’s probably it.”

Sunset felt her whole body relax. Nice save. “So, do you want Trixie to show you an illusion or something?”

“No, it’s alright,” he said, turning to Trixie. “You can use the stage in the backyard. If you need to inspect it, I’ll have someone take you there.” He turned to Sunset again. “Pinkie Pie will be the one to pay for your services, but I instructed her to do so only after the show.”

“Half now, half later,” Sunset said. Mr. Rich raised an eyebrow, and Sunset cleared her throat. “We are grateful that you’re providing the stage, but Trixie still needs to set up her equipment and run a few tests. She’ll already be working before the show even starts, so it’s fair that she receives compensation.”

After Sunset’s ramble, the only thing that could be heard was her heavy breathing, and some fiddling from Trixie’s hoodie.

Mr. Rich smiled. “I like it when the people I hire know what they’re doing. Alright, I’ll have Pinkie give you half now.” His smile disappeared, and he looked directly at Trixie’s eyes. “You better put on the best show you can and properly entertain my daughter and her guests. You are inexperienced, and don’t even have a reputation yet. It’s in your hands whether or not you’ll make a living out of this. Understood?”

Trixie’s following gulp was so hard, it probably could be heard in the whole mansion. “Of course,” she answered.

“Good,” he said, and then looked down at his laptop. “You are dismissed.” Trixie opened the door and got out, but when Sunset reached the knob, Mr. Rich spoke up. “Wait. I want to talk to you,” he looked at Trixie. “In private.”

“Sure,” Sunset said, and after a reassuring smile to Trixie, closed the door. “What is it?”

Mr. Rich observed her for a moment, intertwining his fingers in front of his chin. “I do know who you are, Sunset Shimmer,” he said. Sunset felt her heart skip a beat. “It’s hard not to remember the bully of my daughter’s school.”

Sunset paled, and her throat went dry. “Mr. Rich, I can explain!”

“Please, don’t,” he interrupted her. “Whatever you did, it’s none of my business. You never did anything to my girl, and that’s all that matters to me. I also know that you stopped attending to CHS.” He never stopped staring directly at Sunset’s eyes. “It’s not my place to ask questions about it, but you have to know that that’s not a very trustworthy curriculum.”

“I-I…”

“However, Pinkie recommended you,” he said. “And I trust her judgement. That’s why I’m letting this Trixie girl work here. I’m confident that she will deliver a proper show, but, on the other hand, my daughter doesn’t have you in a very good light.” He took a deep breath. “What I’m trying to say is: don’t upset my daughter, or I will fire you before you even begin. Trixie’s career is in your hands. Now, leave.”

Sunset could not say anything, and she just nodded and exited the office.

“What happened?” Trixie asked when Sunset closed the door. “You look like he asked you to strip or something.”

Sunset forced a chuckle. “Is that your fetish?”

Trixie raised an eyebrow.

Rolling her eyes, Sunset motioned Trixie to follow her as she made her way to the backyard. “We just discussed some business things, don’t worry.” They were escorted by the same old butler that opened the door, and they quickly arrived at the back lawn, finding Pinkie Pie near the arguably small stage.

“There you are!” Pinkie waved really fast. “Do you like the stage?”

“It’s… nice,” Trixie said, reluctantly.

Not that Sunset could blame her. The stage was, indeed, nice. It was more or less the same size as the one in the school’s gym, and it probably was more expensive to build. It was, by all means, a really nice stage, but it lacked something really important, something crucial for Trixie’s performance.

“What’s wrong?” Pinkie asked. It was weird how Pinkie could be painfully oblivious half the time, and absurdly observant the other half.

“Nothing’s wrong with it,” Trixie replied, “it’s just that I won’t be able to do the levitation illusion here.”

Pinkie blinked, nodded, paused, then gasped. “Gasp!” She yelled. “That’s terrible! That’s your best illusion!”

“Won’t I know,” Trixie said flatly. “It doesn’t matter, though. Trixie can still deliver the best show, even without her masterpiece!”

“That’s the spirit!” Pinkie said, trapping Trixie in a tight hug. “I have to go supervise the flour order!”

“Why are you taking care of the food two weeks before the birthday?” Sunset asked.

Pinkie went serious all of a sudden. “That’s Party Planning 101, chapter two, section three. Food is very important, and it’s one of the first things to consider when planning a party! I didn’t make the rules, even though I wrote the book!” And with that, she literally bounced away.

“She’s really weird,” Trixie said.

“I sometimes wonder if she’s actually an alien.”

“That would explain a lot of things.” Trixie snickered, and Sunset joined her. It felt good to laugh carelessly.

“And what, exactly, do you think you’re doing here?!” A nasal, high pitched voice distracted them. Sunset paled at the sight of Diamond Tiara, standing mere feet away from them, with her hands on her hips, and a really big frown.

“I uh… It’s a surprise?” Trixie said. Sunset was sure it was meant to be an answer, and not a question, but until that moment, they haven’t stopped to consider if Diamond was aware of whom was doing the magic show for her birthday.

Diamond raised an eyebrow. “A surprise? Wait, you’re the magician my dad is hiring?”

With the tacit question answered, Trixie saw no reason to lie. “Do not think for a second that Trixie cannot awe you with her performance! Pinkie Pie witnessed her amazing show at CHS! And so she wishes you to enjoy it, too!”

“I’ll be the judge of that!” Diamond answered, then looked at Sunset. “But what are you doing here? Came to steal something?”

“What? No!” Sunset answered. “I work for Trixie!”

There was a moment of silence, and Sunset wondered if she had done right with saying the truth. She mentally smacked her face. What if Diamond went insane and told them to leave?! That would ruin Trixie’s career! She should have said she was with Pinkie, instead! Nothing could ruin Pinkie’s reputation!

Her train of thought was interrupted with Diamond Tiara’s laughter.

“So you left the school to become a mere stagehand! I knew you couldn’t possibly have a bright future, but to think you’d get so low!” Diamond laughed some more. “Just wait until everybody knows! The almighty princess of every popularity dance at CHS, reduced to a mere workman!”

“Why you-” Trixie said, but Sunset grabbed her by the shoulder and shook her head.

“You’re right,” Sunset confirmed with an uneasy smile. “I’m broke and desperate, and Trixie here offered me money in exchange of carrying her bags. My life couldn’t be more miserable.” It was really hard not to sound sarcastic, Sunset realized.

Fortunately, Diamond didn’t seem to notice. “Serves you right!” She then grabbed her phone and took a photo of Sunset. “This goes directly to MyStable!” After pressing some buttons, she put her phone in her pocket again and looked at Trixie. “Miss Cheerilee says that your show was really good, so I’m looking forward to it. You better impress me, understand?”

Trixie puffed out her chest with pride. “The Great and Powerful Trixie will execute the most amazing and mesmerizing illusions you’ll ever see! It will be the best day of your life!”

Diamond huffed. “Yeah, I doubt you’d manage that without Apple Bloom being here-” She bit her lower lip as her eyes widened in horror. “Erm b-being here for me to humiliate her with how much better my parties are than hers!” She yelled, then turned around and jogged back to the mansion.

Once Diamond was out of sight, Trixie grabbed Sunset by the shoulder and spun her around. “Why did you do that?”

“Do what? Confirm her idea of me being your maid instead of saying I’m your manager, so that she would not get you fired before you even begin?” Sunset asked, then shrugged. “Gee why would I do such a thing?”

Trixie observed her in silence for a moment. “So that’s what Mr. Rich wanted to talk about with you?”

“Pretty much, yeah.” Sunset admitted. “I didn’t want to tell you anything, but he basically told me that if Diamond says so, he’ll fire you just because she doesn’t like me. So I thought that if I give her a reason to laugh at me, she’ll allow you to perform.”

Trixie hummed. “Ok. I will accept it just this once.” She cleared her throat. “So, what do you think was that comment about Applejack’s sister?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I think she noticed how much Apple Bloomed.”

Trixie snickered. “Would you say she’s yearning for some apple cider?”

“Maybe,” Sunset joined in the laughing. “Or maybe she’s just craving for some apple juice.” She wiggled her eyebrows.

Trixie erupted with laughter. Once she managed to calm down, she said, “Hey, is it hypocritical for us to make fun of her?”

“If it’s because she’s gay, yes. If it’s because she thinks nobody notices, then no.”

“Awesome.”

~~~~~~~~

For the following weeks, Sunset found herself working almost all day.

She would wake up at the crack of dawn, work at the emporium with Flim and Flam, meet with Trixie at the Rich Mansion to run sound and light tests, and rehearse Trixie’s magic tricks at least once.

It was exhausting, but at least Sunset had the promise of a daily date with Trixie at the end of it all.

“So, I was thinking,” Sunset began just as she finished cleaning the results of that day’s rehearsal. “We’ve been practicing for a whole week, and Diamond’s birthday is yet in another week.” She walked up to Trixie, who was sitting at the edge of the stage. “So, how about we rehearse just the two days prior to the show, and enjoy the other four?”

“Uh-huh,” Trixie answered absentmindedly.

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I also think the show would be a lot better if you use rabbit ears and fishnets.”

“Uh-huh.”

Letting out a sigh, Sunset sat down next to Trixie. “What’s wrong? You’ve been zoned out all day.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just… I had an argument with my parents today.”

Sunset’s breath caught on her throat. “What happened?”

Trixie looked down. “Just the usual. They reminding me that High School is almost over and I have to study to be a lawyer. Then I telling them I’m not going to please them. Then yelling...”

With a little hesitation, Sunset placed her hand on Trixie’s shoulder. “When are you going to tell them you’re already working as an illusionist?”

“When I graduate,” Trixie answered. “The moment I tell them, I’m sure they’ll kick me out.”

“Are you sure?” Sunset asked. “They may be overly strict on you, but they’re still your parents, and you’re their only daughter.”

Trixie chuckled dryly. “You don’t know them like I do, Sunny. There was this time, a few years ago, at a family reunion… One of my cousins confessed to everyone that he’s gay, thinking that his family would support him…” She sighed. “My father went nuts, demanding that he left his house and never came back. Fortunately, my cousin managed to convince him that it was a prank, and my father, while calmed down, told him not to joke like that again.”

Sunset’s mouth worked silent words for a few moments. “And the rest of your family didn’t say anything?”

“Oh, they were mad… They’re still mad. But my father is the only one with money, and he’s helped everyone without expecting anything in return. They all agreed that he deserved to think and act however he wants.” She closed her eyes. “And I know what you’re thinking, but I can’t go live with any other relatives. They can barely hold themselves, and I’d just be a bother.”

“Well, I got nothing else,” Sunset said, pulling Trixie into a hug. “But I support ya. If they were to kick you out, you can drop by at my place. You’re always welcome in my bed.”

Trixie giggled. “You’re an idiot.”

~~~~~~~~

Days passed, and following Sunset’s suggestion, she and Trixie decided to just hang out for a few days. And they were content with just taking quiet strolls and enjoying each other’s company.

Sunset realized that these were the most peaceful days she had ever had. Even working at the emporium felt somewhat relaxing, now that she had everything under control once again. She felt good.

On Friday, a day prior Trixie’s first official, paid show, they decided to meet at Sugarcube Corner with the rest of the girls, as per Twilight’s request. Because of her job, Sunset was the last to arrive.

“Hey there,” Sunset greeted as she approached the table where the seven girls were gathered. She sat down next to Trixie and gave her a quick kiss.

“Hi, Shimmy!” Pinkie said, leaning on the table. “Are you excited for tomorrow?!”

Sunset shrugged. “I guess.”

“Oh, come on,” Rarity interjected. “It’s also your first job as a manager. You should be excited.”

“Well, if you put it that way…”

“Give her a break,” Trixie said. “She’s tired.”

“Alright, I suppose you’re wondering why I called you here...” Twilight began.

“You’ve been waiting all this time just to say that, haven’t you?” Rainbow said with a smirk.

Twilight blushed, but ignored her. “As you know, the national Science Fair is in three weeks. My project is almost one hundred percent done, I just need to finish the last details and run a few tests.”

“Yes, yes, we all know about nerdy con,” Rainbow said. Applejack punched her in the arm.

“I’d like you to come with me,” Twilight said. “I know it might sound incredibly boring, but while my parents are driving me there, they can’t stay, and if I win, I’d like to share the moment with you.”

“Of course, darling,” Rarity said. “It’s on Saturday, right?”

Twilight nodded. “Right. The week before Halloween.”

Rainbow hissed. “Gee, sorry, Twi, but I gotta train with my soccer team that day.”

“At least try to sound sad,” Applejack scolded her, then smiled at Twilight. “Ah’ll be there. And Ah can drive y’all back here.”

“Yay! Road trip!” Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing on her spot.

Fluttershy tried to make herself invisible. “I, uhm… I’m sorry, but I already promised to help at the animal shelter that day. They will be short of volunteers, and…”

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy,” Twilight said with a smile. “If you can’t, you can’t.” She then turned to Sunset and Trixie. “What about you?”

Sunset shrugged. “I got nothing better to do.” She placed her arm around Trixie’s neck. “What about you?”

Trixie shifted in her place to get more comfortable in Sunset’s embrace. “Alright. I want to see what Twilight’s capable of.”

“Thank you, girls,” Twilight said. “It means a lot.”

“Yeah… What are you doing again?” Trixie asked.

“Wireless electricity,” Twilight answered, then leaned back. “One of my first ideas was an endless battery, but it was going to be too expensive, and it isn’t a new idea.” She looked up and hummed for a moment. “Well, wireless electricity isn’t new, either. But it’s cheaper.”

“Cool,” Sunset said.

Pinkie leaned closer to the center of the table. “I wish you girls could go watch Trixie’s show tomorrow!”

“Me too,” Rarity answered. “But it’s a private party. And without invitations, we can’t go.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Rainbow intervened. “We already saw her show, and we will again when she gets her own stage and stuff, right?”

Sunset snorted. “So you can say smart things, after all.”

Rainbow glared at Sunset while everyone else giggled.

~~~~~~~~

It was about half an hour before show time, and Sunset had watched Trixie get quieter and quieter as time went on. By now, the only noise she made was the almost insufferable, muffled sound of shuffling cards.

Sunset walked up next to Trixie, who was just an inch away from the curtain, staring at it. “You’re gonna be ok?”

“Shush,” Trixie answered after some breathing exercises. “I’m trying to relax.”

“You can’t ‘try’ to relax, you know?” Sunset teased. “That’s a contradiction.”

“Shut up.”

Sunset peeked through the curtain at the garden party. It was already sunset, but Diamond Tiara was still receiving presents. In fact, she was just in the middle of unwrapping a box big enough to contain a pony.

“No pressure, but… You’ll have to work pretty hard to top whatever’s in there,” Sunset said, glancing at Trixie.

Trixie groaned, but said nothing.

“Hey, I’m kidding,” Sunset said, placing a hand upon Trixie’s shoulder. “Diamond must be so used to big, expensive stuff, that they could gift her a plane, and her reaction would be asking why isn’t it pink.” She chuckled at her own joke. “But I bet she’s never seen a magic show, or at least, not one like yours.” She offered Trixie her most sincere smile. “You’ll do great.”

That seemed to calm Trixie down, as she relaxed her shoulders and smiled. “Thanks.” She stopped fiddling with her cards and took out her hands from the hoodie’s pocket to hug Sunset. “I needed to hear that.”

Sunset returned the hug. “Anytime, short stuff.”

“And now you ruined it.”

They giggled, and Trixie did feel a whole lot better. She felt ready for her very first official performance, and she knew it was going to be a show that nobody watching it would ever forget.

And it was, indeed, a great show.

She wasn’t able to do her best trick, her masterpiece, but everything else went smoothly, perfectly, even. The people cheered at every illusion, and they laughed the few times she made a joke. The Great and Powerful Trixie was now part of their lives, and she had come to stay.

She bowed after her last illusion and turned around, hearing the curtain closing behind her. She could still hear the clapping and cheering.

“See? What did I tell ya?” Sunset asked with a wide smile.

Trixie grinned and posed. “Was there ever any doubt?”

Sunset giggled. “You can consider yourself an official magician now.” She walked up to Trixie and hugged her by the waist. “Congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Trixie said and leaned in for a quick kiss. “I couldn’t have done this without you.”

“I know.”

Trixie cocked an eyebrow, but her smile remained.

“What? Want me to say that you did this all by yourself?” Sunset asked. “I mean, I can lie if you want, but you gotta pay for that.”

Trixie giggled, then sighed. “Alright, alright. Speaking of which...” she said with a smile. “I can finally afford taking you on a date for a change! If you thought today was mind blowing, just you wait! Tomorrow noon at Canterlot Square. How does that sound?”

“I like it.”

“Wait, you two are dating?”

Sunset and Trixie turned around to find Diamond Tiara standing just a few meters away.

“Uh…” Sunset looked at Trixie. “I’m so glad you’re still getting paid.”

Trixie rolled her eyes “Yes,” she simply replied to Diamond. “But that is not important! What matters is the reason you came here!” She placed the back of her hands on her hips. “Trixie knows that you loved her show, did you not?”

Diamond crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. “It was… nice.”

“Here, I got a present for you,” Sunset said, producing a very small, blue box with a red ribbon. “Happy birthday.”

“Hmph! You think this will change my opinion of you?!” Diamond yelled, snatching the box from Sunset’s hand. She then looked at Trixie. “The show was nice, but your egocentric persona is insufferable!” And with that, she turned away and left.

Trixie looked at Sunset with a small frown. “You didn’t tell me you were going to give her something.”

Sunset shrugged. “It’s just a little memento of the day she got out of the closet.”

“What?” Trixie asked, confused. “What did you give her?”

“An apple brooch.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay! I reached dangerously low levels of motivation. But hey! I has returned! And next chapter will be THE chapter!

Criticism is well received!