• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,568 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,568

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: To Retire An Element of Harmony

"Jeez Rainbow, what happened to you before you came here?" Twilight announced as she noticed the pegasus' split lip and swelling eye.

"Just a visit with Pinkie Pie that got a little rough." Dash said as she sat at the table in her friend's kitchen.

"Well then," the purple librarian said taking a full kettle and setting it upon the stove to heat. "maybe I should clean those up while the tea brews."

The cyan mare couldn't argue with that solution as her eye was throbbing now, and her lip stung something fierce. Twilight used her magic to direct the medical supplies to where they needed to go. The lavender mare was exceedingly precise with her magic, and it was one of the few reasons Dash trusted her above others to treat her wounds.

"So what had you breaking down at my front door Rainbow?" the unicorn asked curiously as she worked.

"Jackie." was all the cyan mare had to say.

Twilight instantly looked up at Rainbow, "What, you're still stuck on her Dash?"

"No, it's not that Twi." she answered shaking her head. "Well okay it is a little, but not in the way you think."

"Then what is--" the lavender unicorn was interrupted by the whistle of the boiling kettle. "One minute."

She got up and headed over to the cabinets and pulled out some tea pouches and cups. After placing a pouch in each cup she retrieved the kettle and poured out the heated water into the cups. Rainbow could smell hints of lavender and jasmine in the tea, it was her favorite blend. After a moment of letting the liquid steep, Twilight carried the two cups over to the table and sat them down patiently. She then sat opposite of the pegasus before beginning again.

"Now with that out of the way, what is this all about Dash?" the librarian started as she stirred her tea.

"Okay Twi, just forgive me if this gets a bit choppy." Rainbow said apologizing ahead of time. "I think I've found a new love interest."

"That's fantastic Rainbow!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Don't do that please." the rainbow maned mare asked as she reached for her tea. "The both of us have found that our past problems are putting us at odds. So we decided that we have to sort them out first, and as we all know, the best place to find a random lead is Pinkie."

"Ah, so that's why you visited her again." the unicorn seemed unable to curve her commentary.

"Yeah, anyways. Upon getting her into a normal state I didn't even have to ask, and she had a solution." the cyan pegasus began her explanation. "In order for me to find an answer to my confusion over Applejack, I had to get my element of harmony and hers."

"How would that help any though?" Twilight broke into the conversation in a tone that worried Dash. "Applejack's element jewel cracked in half the night she died Rainbow. It has no magic left in it."

"What?" was her swift reply.

If that was the case then what was the point of this? Then Dash remembered that Pinkie hadn't stopped there with her directions.

"You know what Twilight?" the cyan mare opened. "It doesn't matter. Pinkie said to return it to where true honesty now rests."

"The retiring of an element claimed in service of harmony." the librarian mused to herself.

"Come again Twi?" she asked to double check.

"Nothing, it's not important." the lavender mare answered taking a drink of her now cooled tea.

Rainbow Dash did the same while she waited for her friend to finish her thought. One sip and she was in heaven. Twilight always made the best tea in the cyan mare's opinion, and it always made her melt inside no matter the problem.

"Okay Dash, I'll give you the element of honesty, and your element of loyalty." the librarian finally said a light in her eyes as she stood up.

Twilight headed back into the library foyer and disappeared from sight for a moment. She returned with Dash and AJ's elements in hand. She sat them in front of the pegasus, and somehow they seemed almost overly close to one another. She also had a book in hand which confused the rainbow maned mare.

"You are about to retire an element of harmony Rainbow." the purple librarian began. "In this procedure you must observe a ritual. You must place the sigil stone and accompanying necklace upon the ground above the grave or within the urn of ashes of the prior bearer of the element. This must only be done during a full new moon, when magic flows strongest through all things in nature. No other time will the element be accepted and returned to the origin of whence it came."

"What, you mean I can't do it tonight?" Rainbow uttered in shock.

"Hmm, no you can't." was the librarian's response. "The full new moon will rise in two days though. So at least it isn't too long of a wait right?"

"I guess so Twilight." the rainbow maned mare said deflated.

"So that aside, who is it Dash?" Twilight asked with barely contained curiosity closing her book.

"Who is--oh you mean who is the love interest?" Rainbow started bashfully. "Well it might be a certain Wonderbolt has gotten my attention."

"Wonderbolt?" the purple unicorn said looking baffled. "Dash the Wonderbolts just went on an indefinite hiatus, because of team cohesion issues. They have practically been shut down!"

"What!" the cyan mare yelled as she rapidly stood up knocking her remaining tea everywhere. "That's not possible!"

"Well actually it is." Twilight said simply as she went back to her seat at the table. "Have you not been paying attention to the papers? Since Spitfire went off into rehabilitation, quite a few of her team mates took up her mantle of poor choices. Save for Soarin, Valkyrie, and Rapidfire."

"I can't believe it." Dash said looking wide eyed at her tea drinking friend. "Spitfire is in for far worse a challenge than either of us thought."

Twilight spit out her tea instantly, "Spitfire! The Captain of the Wonderbolts Spitfire?"

"Y-Yeah, what about it Twi?" Dash said with a slight blush.

"You're interested in her?" the lavender mare asked innocently.

"Well yeah, and I'm pretty sure she is interested back." the cyan pegasus looked away shyly. "Anyways, can you give me any more information on the other Wonderbolts?"

"Well, just that two of her team mates make her old actions look like child's play when compared." Twilight said finishing her tea. "I'm still curious about the Spitfire thing though Dash. Will you be alright?"

"Don't worry about it Twi, I will be okay." Rainbow said with a bright smile. "In fact, it looks like I'll need to call her tonight with what you've told me."

The rainbow maned mare had to silently think about things as she got up and went about the process of now cleaning up her tea. If the ones Spitfire would visit were doing things worse than she had been, what were the chances she would lose herself again? There was a great deal of worry in her mind now, but she had to keep her faith strong. The stronger she was the stronger Spitfire could be, since she could lean on her if needed.

Twilight got up from her seat and walked back into her study. It was always awkward when the unicorn did things like that, but Dash knew by now that when her mind called her to read, it wasn't avoidable. After cleaning up she went to sit back in her chair to rest a moment. She then looked up over the stove to see a plain ordinary clock, but was quite startled at how late it was.

"Wow it's already 6:43?" the rainbow maned pegasus questioned aloud. "Hey Twilight, I think I'm gonna head out now. It's getting late."

The lavender unicorn came back into the kitchen as Dash finished her tea off. They embraced in a friendly hug and the librarian had to say something it seemed.

"Okay Rainbow, but please consider what I said two weeks ago about your choice in diet and fitness." she looked sheepish now. "I don't want to see it destroy you."

"Aw." the cyan mare reached over and ruffled Twilight's mane. "Glad you're so worried about me, but don't worry about it Twilight. I won't take it as seriously as I said I would, plus I may have a bit of a distraction before it can kill me!"

The two friends laughed together as they exited the purple librarian's home, embraced once more, and went their separate ways. It was as if their fight had never happened. Dash laughed to herself as she walked away waving to her friend, as she took to the skies. Not a few moments later she could hear her phone going off in her pocket. It was a ringtone she had set for Big Macintosh, he never called. What could be wrong?

She answered the phone, "Hey Big Mac, what's up?"

"Uh, hey Rainbow." the stallion started seemingly upset. "Could y'all swing by the farm? Ah got sumthin' I need ta ask ya."

Dash realized this was quite important if he sounded like this, not to mention he actually called her. It looked like Spitfire might have to wait tonight. Oh well, she could let Big Mac know she was going to visit Applejack in two days while she was there tonight. I'll apologize to Spits later, she thought to herself.

"Okay Mac, I'll be there in five tops." she answered with a gleam in her eyes.

"Thank ya, Dash." the red stallion said with a contemplative sigh.

Tonight was going to be long and rough was the sole feeling the pegasus had in her gut. She was hoping that she would be wrong though.

______________________________________________________________________________________

As she landed in front of the Apple family home, she was greeted by no one. It was almost an eerie feeling about the home, not to mention that it lacked its usual well kept organization. Something was definitely off this evening, and to figure it out she had to at least check the house.

She walked right up to the front door and rang the crude doorbell. It took a moment, but the door was answered by Applebloom. She looked worried with her light reddish hair matted and unkempt.

"What's going on Bloom, is your brother around?" Dash asked kindly.

"So that stubborn mule finally called ya?" she exhaled with some noticeable relief. "We've been tellin' him to call y'all fer weeks now!"

"Why what's wrong?" she replied with a tinge of worry in her voice.

"Well first things first, you are gonna hafta find him." the young filly said plainly. "He sorta just walked outta the house a little while ago, and we ain't heard from 'im since."

"That's not like him at all." the cyan mare said confusion lighting her eyes.

"He hasn't been himself since we lost Applejack, but it got worse shortly after that article was published about Pinkie Pie." Bloom said with a sigh. "The two of them were sort of close after all, so maybe it was that?"

Rainbow had to think for a moment about what the light red maned filly had just told her. She was right Big Mac and Pinkie were close before Dash had even thought of getting with Applejack. After the farm mare's death the strong stallion had taken it upon himself to try to keep the pink party mare stable. It was the single reason Pinkie wasn't seen often after Jackie's death, she was far too broken up. Big Mac had tried to be the pink mare's shield, and he had failed her.

"Thanks Bloom I might have an idea on where I might find him." Dash said with a smile. "I'll go knock some sense into him!"

"Good, he needs it!" the young filly said as she turned and headed back into the house.

There was just one place the big red stallion would go if he was depressed, the apple whiskey cellar in the eastern fields. The rainbow maned mare decided to jog the distance for a little leg exercise this evening. It took her a short time to reach the door into the underground cellar, and upon opening the door she realized she could hear something from within.

A song played clearly throughout the cellar echoing off of the stone walls clearly. Her heart began to ache greatly as she listened to the words, it was the song she eavesdropped on Jackie singing months ago. Big Mac did have feelings for Pinkie, but with her mental state being what it was the stallion had to feel utterly unsure of what to do or feel anymore.

The rainbow maned mare could clearly hear a glass be set down on a hard surface as she reached the bottom of the stairs. She peered around the doorway to see the stallion had set himself up a makeshift bar counter to sit at. For make shift it was actually really well constructed, but maybe this is the reason the apple farm seemed deflated in character. It was missing its primary caretaker, Big Macintosh.

"Hey there big guy!" Dash announced herself as she stepped into the room. "What are ya doin' hiding out in here?"

He grunted and kicked the stool next to him over to her. He was being silent, and this may take a little finess to pull off. She grabbed the seat and pulled it back over to the bar sitting down facing the red stallion.

"I originally had something to ask you, but you are in a sorry state from the look of things Mac." the cyan mare said with her usual blunt tone. "You gonna talk to me, or you gonna try to run away and hide from me like Pinks tried earlier?"

That got the stallion's attention as her looked bolt upright at her. As he noticed the damage Pinkie had done he decided to speak.

"Ah'm sorry ta see she hurt ya Dash." he said with his usual accent.

"Come on big guy, you don't have to apologize for that!" Dash roared patting Big Mac on the shoulder in triumph.

"Sorry." he repeated looking back down to his drink.

"No really, it's okay Mac." the pegasus answered deflated immediately. "You know, it isn't okay. What are you doing with yourself lately, the farm doesn't seem half as bright as it usually does. You been slackin' off big guy?"

Her statements were met with a silent drink of his apple whiskey.

"Hello, Macintosh?" Rainbow pryed. "You need to get whatever it is that is on yer mind out. It's distracting you from helping your family, your friends, but mostly from helping Pinkie."

"What do y'all think ya know 'bout this situation Rainbow?" Big Mac said in almost a growl.

"S'cuse me?" the rainbow maned mare raised her tone in challenge. "Yer gonna get defensive with me, when Ah'm tryin ta help?"

Big Mac turned and stared at her for a long moment with shock in his eyes before saying, "Ya realize y'all spoke exactly like Applejack when she use ta scold me right?"

Rainbow couldn't believe it herself, but sure as the sun in the sky she had done it. Her hand now sitting square on top of her mouth in embarrassment. The stallion now turned his seat to face the cyan pegasus entirely.

"Seems like y'all got yer own ghosts ta confront as well." the blonde maned stallion accused lightly.

"So what if I do Mac?" she returned pointedly. "You need to tell me what's got you so upset first. Then I may just tell you what I needed to before this all came about, deal?"

"Ahw, fine Dash you win!" Mac finally gave in to her will. "But y'all can't go talkin' about it wit no one, get me?"

"My lips are sealed." she answered genuinely.

"Ah feel like Ah'm the cause of Pinkie's actions. Ah encouraged her ta do what she felt would relieve 'er anxiety." the red stallion confessed glumly. "Ah jus' never knew 'bout the abductions till she showed up at mah door covered in blood. She was visibly distraught, an' no matter what anypony says, she never meant to kill Berry Punch."

"Oh?" the cyan mare stated. "How can you be sure Mac?"

"Her voice." he answered. "T'was pressured and rapid when she tried to explain herself. Y'all didn't see her that day, but Ah did...and she was a mess."

"What was your solution?" Rainbow asked simply.

"Ah didn't have one." the stallion answered. "Ah jus' tried calmin' her down first. When she left she seemed okay, and then a few mornin's later Ah saw the article in the paper."

"You love her, don't you Mac?" Dash said calmly bowing her head. "You haven't even noticed you're crying yet."

She looked up to see the stallion check his eyes and the shock that quickly followed. It seemed the stallion wasn't even aware of what he was feeling. It took Rainbow dragging it out of him for his body to finally respond.

"What do Ah do then Dash?" Big Macintosh asked clueless as to what was next.

"Simple big guy." she started softly. "Be there for her. With what I did today, she should be on her way back towards her light. But she will still need the support of the ones who care about her the most. Understand?"

"Yeah but--" Big Mac tried to argue.

"Start there big guy." the cyan mare cut him off. "Everything takes time, so don't worry about anything but where you begin."

He simply nodded and reached over for his drink.

"Now I owe you an explanation I believe, right?" Rainbow opened the conversation to her own wounds. "Two nights from now, when the new moon rises in the sky, I have to visit Jackie's grave. I have to retire her element of harmony, and Pinkie seems to think it will give me the closure I need to move forward."

"Alright then, it's fine by me Dash." the stallion answered easily. "Ah'll let ya in whenever y'all should like ta go. She'd prolly like a visitor fer once."

"What not gonna question my reason why at all?" the blue pegasus responded with shock.

"Nope. You have yer reasons Ah'm sure, and you can tell me when yer ready." the stallion answered with a smile.

"Sometimes I wonder if I'm the one helping you, or if it's the other way around Mac." Rainbow said with a chuckle.

"Ah know, Ah won't make a habit of it." Big Macintosh replied with a sheepish smile now. "Yer right, Ah feel better now. Y'all better get yerself home now Dash, Ah get the feelin' tomorrow's gonna be a long day fer ya!"

"Alright then, I'll take yer word for it big guy!" Dash said slapping a hand onto the stallion's shoulder in a friendly gesture.

She then stood up from her stool and headed up and out of the cellar. When she walked out into the night air it was cool and crisp, their conversation had taken longer than she thought. Pulling out her phone she checked the time, it was 9:01. She still had time to get home, get comfortable, and call Spitfire. The thought of this victory made her heart soar as she kicked off the ground into the sky her wings pumping for speed.

It was a lovely night out tonight, but it paled in comparison to what came next in Rainbow's evening. Landing in front of her large home she quickly entered it and got to changing into her sleeping garments. A black silk tank top, no bra, and fluffy black cotton pajama pants. It was simple but that was what made it so comfortable for her. Her hair wasn't really as annoying as it was when she started letting it grow to sleep in, so no changes were necessary there.

As she washed her face in the bathroom she pondered to herself, I wonder if Spitfire's day has been half as action packed as my day? Once she was finished brushing her teeth she ran out of the bathroom into her bedroom and jumped up onto her bed. It was made of the softest cloud material that she had ever lain upon, and she was glad she had paid extra for it in the last month.

She rolled over onto her back and grabbed her phone sitting next to her pillow. Rainbow found Spitfire's number, hit call and then waited for her to answer. Upon hearing the sound of her answering the cyan mare was ready to begin their talk.

"Hey there Spitfire, you're not gonna believe the day that I had today!"

PreviousChapters Next