• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,568 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,568

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: A Light In The Darkness

Author's Note:

After Christmas and New Year's this story keeps chugging along! But how long will I be able to keep content moving along? Find out! Eventually! :derpytongue2:

"Hast thou found what thou art looking for Signature Sandwich?" Came the royal voice of princess Luna.

The two of them stood in a room, more of a giant library to be precise. They were searching beyond hope for an answer that could help Sig save his daughter from death. And where better to look than the oldest archives in the known world? Well okay, well known to Luna and Celestia. This didn't really matter to Sig in hindsight.

This was the library of the sisters mother, she was the priestess of death and the life after. She had seen more than her children, and by association knew more about life and its fleeting presence than anypony in existence. This library was only accessible to Luna though, with her dream walking abilities she could also go to places between life and death temporarily. They were in purgatory theoretically.

They had been here almost twenty four hours which was Luna's limit, and they had visited several times already. Four days in fact, and it was taking it's toll on the princess of the night. Celestia had to raise the sun and the moon during this time, and that was her end of the favor. Yet still, with all the time the two of them had searched it was looking more and more hopeless for them to find anything that could save the rainbow maned pegasus.

"These tomes just seem to go on forever!" Sig shouted throwing a tome he was looking at away.

Luna peeked her head around the corner of the shelf to check in on him, "Do not lose hope good Signature! There has to be something in my mother's library on this illness!"

"We've looked at everything from colds to plagues!" Sig roared in exasperation. "Nothing in any of these tomes gets anywhere close to what Dash's symptomology is!"

He was losing hope of finding anything of use, and they were almost out of time for today. He just turned and wandered away from Luna into the depths of the library, alone. She had warned him that this could be quite dangerous, but he was beyond grief for his seemingly vain efforts to save his daughter. If he became trapped eternally in here it would be fine, lady death would find him one day and claim him just the same.

After a while of wandering, he found an area that was separate from the countless shelves of the library. An open area with books piled about that looked to be the most recent additions in the archives. All surrounding a large sprawling desk upon which sat just one purple bound book with glimmering lettering sitting upon it. Something felt bizarre about this entire area.

"I'm not supposed to be here am I?" the stallion mused aloud to himself.

It must have been the study of the mother of death, where she recorded all knowledge of those who had passed on in her tomes. Something about this purple tome was different though, almost personal. He walked over and read the lettering on it.

"Diary of Lady Mortalitas, Volume 3,286." Sig said aloud. "Wow, she really does keep track of her own life and feelings. I guess everyone needs to feel they have a place."

He began to wonder if there would be anything in her diary. It was a very personal tome to pick up and read, but at this point he wasn't beyond trying for his daughter.

"I call out for related terms on Rainbow Dash in the Diary of Lady Mortalitas, Volume 3,286!" he called out into the air as the book came to life.

"Would you like the most recent entry?" came a voice from the very air around him. "I'm quite sure you will need to hear this to know your place, trespasser!"

"Huh... So the book is evil... Might have some nasty defenses..."

He jumped at a touch on his shoulder spinning around to find nothing.

"Not evil or enchanted, but I do watch over some things with my ethereal doubles." the voice came again. "Which you can't see, I'll leave it for them to decide if you are kind or be-damned to the ages."

"I just want to save my daughter."

"But she is not your blood, why do you care?" Came a new hollow voice.

"Because she is me and I am her." this was a test and he knew it distastefully.

"Philosophical answer." the voice breathed out. "View the passage of our lady on the condition and state of Rainbow Dash, but be ready for the pain that will come for your heart mortal."

The book opened itself and flipped open to a specific page, and Sig walked over and began to read the words as they appeared to him.

Oh what a painful day this is, to see one so shining an example of loyalty reduced to this. I fear my daughter will not be happy with another fallen element of harmony so soon! It cannot be helped though as we all have our times to go, our times chosen by our own decisions of action and inaction. She is so young though. It breaks my heart to have to retrieve her spirit, but It looks like I'll have to find her in the purgatory way station on the morning of the first of January. Such a bad new year for the one she loves, the friends she loves, and the newly appointed father... Who has already seen so much death in his own life. It is too bad I have never seen an existing medical cure for this one's condition... Lest I play the strings of the world above to get her the cure as if by miracle. We all know what happened last time I interfered in those kinds of affairs. Alas, she will die... And I must ferry her along to the other side... With a heavy heart.

"No... Dammit! NO!" Sig said collapsing to the floor in tears.

"You see, it cannot be avoided." the hollow voice of Mortalitas' double came again. "Your journey has been but a vain quest, destined to fail."

The stallion looked up, defiance in his eyes he began to see the faintest outline of an entity before him. He was looking straight at the ethereal double! He knew, because of where Celestia had pulled his spirit from, he had power... A power to overcome any odd. His instincts were what would take him forward now, and they cried out for music. An idea popped into his head, and it was a faint flicker of hope but that was enough.

"Okay, then I call forth any and all entries the Lady Mortalitas has on the enjoyment and magical theories on music!" He knew that Celestia's doings wouldn't be missed by her mother. "Specifically, on the music bearers of the elements of nature! Rainmaker, Windsinger, and Thunderbringer."

He knew the others were still alive, and he knew that there would be plenty of music chronicled here. It was a gamble, but he had to see if she could hear the magical songs that resonated from the surface.

"You wish to know if we can hear magical tunes from above?" the voice of the double seemed to read his mind. "Then this volume will also serve you well."

The sound of a guitar rang out from the page once the book stopped flipping pages, a sound that hurt all too much. It was the intro to Kirin Rush's song Wheels of Steel. He got up and began to read again.

Oh ho, the sound of that guitar echoes through all of my realm it seems! The sadness, the love, the pain, the romance, the soul! Oh it is too much to believe one of my daughter's creations could resonate sound so clearly across the realm of life and death! Though I am certain her father had a hand in this creations life, at least this time around anyways! The music just tears my heart to pieces! I wish we could hear that music more often here in my realm, but alas we only hear it when they play to summon their magical powers. I fear I haven't heard all of his music, but one day when his spirit should be retired I may just keep him around my person for a while!

"Great, the priestess of death is fanponying over me... Great..." He said aloud before continuing his reading.

It would seem the guitarist and violinist both play with a great deal of heart, and one may yet become a princess! Strange that my daughter has not warned them to avoid the more dangerous melodies. Melodies that existed in a different time. Maybe that guitarist will one day find one of those songs, he seems the likely candidate with all the life he has lost. Though the violin player is just as likely, I certainly hope neither of them stumble onto the tunes.

He felt something strange in his heart begin to blossom as he spoke the words unconsciously, "The melody of the trading winds."

A gasp loudly broke into the study, and he felt the energy that the double gave off disappear. A second later the book appeared before him with the title of the song on the cover and a warning.

Melody of the Trading Winds

By:E.S.
Warning: Do not play this song unless you are full well prepared to lose you're own life.

"Signed simply E.S.?" Sig pondered for a moment. "Guess he wanted his identity shrouded from prying eyes. Although I'll never understand why..."

Signature Sandwich opened the book and it dissolved into light around him, but he could hear the song resonate in his soul. He knew what to do with this knowledge. Should his daughter die, he actually had a final hope... A light in the deadly darkness.

"Now that you have the knowledge you so desperately sought, here is what happens next..." A familiar voice rang out. "...Unless you find my daughter in the next thirty minutes, you won't have a chance to use that knowledge Signature Sandwich."

"Then why let me make it this far Mortalitas?" Sig roared out in fury.

"For my own amusement of course, it's not often that some foolish pony wanders in here out of desperation." she laughed. "I mean you would have to know my daughters to have any hope of making it this far. Now let us see if you can finish this quest!"

Bookshelves began to enclose him on all sides. He began to laugh himself now. What a priceless outcome had played out before him!

"What's so funny you mortal fool?"

"Only that there is no challenge in this for me because of one of your most thoughtful daughters." He continued to laugh a moment more before stopping. "Profos in Nox, Tantibus ero venire ad finis."

Trust in Night, Nightmare will come to end.

He blacked out and awakened in Luna's royal quarters sweating and sitting cross legged directly in front of her. She was panting heavily as she opened her eyes to him with a brief smile. Their safe phrase had indeed been necessary just as Luna had foresaw.

"To my sister, she will get you to the hospital." She said breathlessly. "May what you learned save your daughter!"

With that Sig got up on shaky legs and began to run to Celestia's royal hall. He needed his Rainmaker guitar, and to be at Dash's side the moment her spirit wandered off.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

It was pandemonium when Signature Sandwich and Celestia arrived at the hospital on Dash's floor. He could hear Spitfire hollering with rage and sadness all at once, and the doctors and nurses filed out of the room moments later. He sighed heavily adjusting the guitar upon his back, he knew the costs of what was to come. Dash must have just passed. Walking into the room changed his thoughts on this entirely though.

Spitfire sat in her chair crying, Dash's bed sheets were thrashed about wildly. She was oddly still, rigid, and in place for one who only just passed. Looking at the screens and monitors Sig read: Deceased at 11:03 pm yesterday, now sitting silently in shock as the golden mare sobbed. It was new years eve! He still should have had time to prepare himself, but the scene before him spoke in literal volumes almost. His daughter passed during the night and every attempt hospital staff made at the body since then, Spitfire met and repelled with a protective fury.

"Spitfire..." he announced himself.

She turned on him quickly with pain bright in her waterlogged amber eyes, "She's gone already Sig, you missed her!"

"Stop yer damn crying!" He shouted at her slinging his guitar over his shoulder. "What would you give for another chance to be with her, tell me, now!"

"My life, but what difference does it make?" she wailed. "She is gone, its too late for petty words!"

"What do you think I was doing with my time, nothing?" He roared right back. "Celestia clear the hall, come in, and lock the door behind you."

"Sig what are you doing?" She questioned realizing he wasn't himself.

"Spitfire, I have to ask you to let me take your seat closest to Dash." He requested.

"Sig answer me, what are you doing?" the golden mare didn't relent.

"If you don't get out of my way you will never see, and her spirit will wander away forever!" the stallion shouted now panting. "I can't play what needs to be unless I can sit close to her... I'll only be able to do this sitting down next to my daughter."

She gave in and moved away as Celestia came back in locking the door behind her. The golden mare took a place beside the princess in stark confusion. Signature Sandwich, a stallion of many lives, was truly afraid of what would come next. She was his daughter though, and he was her father. For her, he would give anything to take back an unfair dealing of the cards of fate. He began to tune his guitar, knowing the song had to ring out with all that his instrument could give.

"Princess what's going on?" Spitfire asked the white alicorn innocently.

"Sig is about to give the most precious thing a father can give his child." She said calmly. "A second chance."

"But how is that even possible?"

"By paying a price that is fair and equivilent to the one Dash paid to save you."

"Wait, he's gonna--Sig... No!" Spitfire screamed from fear.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Dash was walking through a tunnel bathed in light, confused as to what was going on. The world around her seemed to be so intangible... So unreal. At this point, it felt like she had been walking for days in darkness and then suddenly into the light she went. She had no idea where this tunnel would lead but she felt compelled to continue onward.

"I'm dead, aren't I?" she said aloud with a heavy heart.

"Fer the most part sugar cube, yeah." came a familiar voice.

The tunnel of light was dispelled as the scene around her transformed into a massive train station's interior. Marble sculpted walls, stairs, and pillars surrounding her all bathed in a warm golden light. Many ponies, zebras, and griffons all sat around the building, communicating with others or lazing about. What is this place?

"It's Purgatory Station Sport!" Another voice that she knew from such a long time ago rang out.

She turned and saw what she could have never dreamed of seeing, her biological parents and Jackie! Her father with his rainbow mane, her mother with her passionate lavender eyes, and her lost lover Applejack with her worn Stetson still atop her head. Many that had died in recent years as well as a few that had passed on long ago were at the platform.

"Mom, Dad, AJ... But how?" Dash began breathlessly. "How are you all here, you've passed on I thought?"

"You can take the train that delivers souls, back to the station to greet your loved ones as they pass on sport." Her father said coming forward to give her a big hug. "It's just a shame that you are still so young!"

He was crying and when she looked to her mother, she saw the very same tears. They bought her sixteen years of life, they shouldn't be sad about that achievement. It was better than her only making it to five! Plus she hadn't lived a poor life, she had gone through and seen a lot in that time. True, she never became a Wonderbolt, but she could live without that because of how she chose to give her last moments to the world. She gave them to Spitfire, and an unconscious tear broke from her eyes.

"In this realm hun, emotions get expressed without yer choice." Applejack added with a smile, her own eyes glimmering from tears not yet shed.

"Despite you being so young, I'm proud of you for making it this far Rainbow, my dearest daughter!" Her mother said coming over and kissing her cheek as her father parted his hug.

But for their closeness, Jackie remained at a distance. Why?

"Ah dunno mahself Dashie why ah can't." the beautiful blonde mare answered bashfully.

"Can everypony read my mind or something?" Dash questioned in frustration.

"Hah, no." Applejack laughed warmly. "Only those who were closest to ya can see yer thoughts, through yer own eyes."

"She's definitely fresh out of the living world alright, but she will get used to it here I'm sure." her father began.

"Oh Blitz leave the child alone!" her mother demanded.

"But Lavender, she needs it!" He joked.

Rainbow Blitz and Lavender Flash, her Dad and Mom. This was typical of them, but something caught her ears at this point. It was faint... But it sounded like something she knew.

"So Dash, how was this adoptive father of yours?" Blitz began. "He seemed like a great stallion, reminded me of my younger years! Guess he hasn't had many younger years for a long time though I suppose. His spirit is Celestia's favorite after all."

"Wait what, do you know something about him I don't... Oh, wait..." Dash asked only to cut off.

She had died before he could detail his past lives to her.

"Well, him being your adoptive father is ironic I'd say." the grey blue stallion began. "I mean, the pony his spirit originates from was Valor Crest. Our family's origin and oldest ancestor."

"What?" Rainbow found herself shouting in surprise as another question crossed her mind. "Actually Sig doesn't know about the details of his orgins, most specifically, how the rainbow mane was passed down when he was the first in history to have it. He doesn't recall a wife or a lover that produced a child, and records don't help any with that."

Dash had no idea how she knew these things, it was as if she was speaking for her adoptive father. Could he be lingering around the outskirts of the station? She looked to Jackie who had a knowing smile on her face. It was odd but, in death, Applejack had seemingly been granted an all knowing foresight.

"Nopony knows that one Dash." Her father's voice broke into her thoughts. "There is no official records of anything more than him courting princess Celestia, but he died before a child could come into the picture. He was killed on their wedding day. Tragic affair really. So nopony knows just where Rainbow Shine came from, his alleged daughter."

"What is that sound ringing out faintly in the air?" Lavender questioned looking around.

In fact, the whole station seemed in an uproar over a sound they couldn't identify. Dash had noticed it long before all of them, but whatever it was it seemed to be getting louder. It was like a warmth she could feel growing in her own heart... Well, in the heart of her spirit. Applejack began to chuckle lightly.

"Is that the sound of... Guitars?" Rainbow Blitz noted aloud.

"Aye it is Mister Rainbow." AJ confirmed solemnly. "Looks like her adoptive father is tryin' ta call her back ta life, or at least someone that cares a whole lot about her."

"Heh, wonder if they are willing to pay a steep price for her soul?" he laughed darkly. "Lady Mortalitas hasn't given up a soul in centuries! Wow, the music is getting louder!"

He was right. It was a full band of instruments playing, it was like a concert in the station at this point. A train arrived at that moment, and all of the spirits began to file into it almost mindlessly. Whoever this Lady Mortalitas was, she was collecting the spirits to ferry them to the afterlife. Dash couldn't hear whatever was making the other spirits mindlessly file away, all she could hear was the sound of a guitar crying out.

"I can hear... His voice... It's Signature Sandwich." Dash knew what he was doing now. "But how is he--"

Applejack cut her off with a tight hug, "He's doin' what any real father would do fer his daughter. Don't you get on this train sugar, y'all run right back ta where that music's comin' from. What ya find there... That's what'll determine where you'll go next in this universe. Ya hear me Dashie?"

"But how do I leave the station Jackie?" She hollered over the music hugging the orange mare tightly.

The farm mare let go of her and said gently, "Yer already out o' the station Dash, now turn round and run. You'll know what ta do next."

The image of the train station faded away in seconds, and she listened to Applejack's parting words. She turned around and began to sprint with all she had. She could see a light ahead of her within moments, but it was being blocked by a figure. As she came upon it she noticed it was a tall white mare with a black shimmering mane her face cloaked in black robes and holding a large medieval scythe. Mortalitas!

"Welcome Rainbow Dash, like you I have been drawn here to this stallion's music." She began in a chilling tone. "You are not permitted to cross here until he crosses over to meet me. He has already become such a thorn in my side, and it only took him a week. But I must say he is truly a beautiful spirit, my daughter must have loved him quite gratuitously to have kept him around so long."

"And why can't I?" Dash challenged, even though she was wrought with fear.

"Because this song, is the only way for the living to even hope to make contract with me." She answered coldly. "Ironically, what we hear is the song he will play. He has not actually started yet... Care to watch?"

She stepped slightly aside so that Rainbow could peak through what seemed to be a looking glass in the endless dark wall before her. She could see her own lifeless body, her father, Spitfire, and princess Celestia. All gathered in her hospital room. Suddenly Sig's guitar lit up with magic and the room disappeared. Her looking glass had dissipated too!

"Ah it begins, he created his own pocket of purgatory!" Lady Mortalitas began in excitement. "We are now as close as we can be to them. But alas, they cannot see us."

She felt tears streaming down her face, and she knew they would be there when she awoke again too. Her father was gifted with the rare ability to channel magic through an instrument of music, and as his guitar hummed with energy the weight of what he was doing hit her like a speeding train. She knew she would never be able to express the level of love and gratitude that she now felt for her father.

I... I love you dad... Please, never forget that...

PreviousChapters Next