• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,568 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,568

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34: Landslide

Author's Note:

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL MY READERS NEAR AND FAR!
COMMENCE FEELZ!
Remember that the ~~~~ lines denote memory entrance/exit!

3 Months after the incident...

Spitfire sat at her lovers bedside in the hospital while she lay there comatose. The room was a plain beige color, and had a few false plants to keep the atmosphere up. Despite this though, Dash was still hooked into a myriad of machines keeping track of her life as it steadily beat on. A group of beeping noises that had died out in the golden mares ears a long time ago, the only one she recognized was the cardiograph that monitored her love's heartbeat.

Spitfire had taken the situation hard but when Signature Sandwich found out he burst into the room to find what he was told was true. He had dropped to his knees in loss, and had not spoken for the week after that. It had hurt Spitfire to bear her burden alone but she had done it. Sig came around eventually though and warmed her heart one night back when the long nights at the hospital began. He knew that she was bleeding inside just as he was. They both sat at opposite sides of the cyan mare's bed now an acoustic guitar in Sig's possession. Her memories with the stallion bled into her heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One week after the incident...

The nurse had come into the room while both Sig and her sat at the bedside, "Mister Sandwich, Miss Spitfire, visiting hours are over."

She had had enough of being parted from Dash, "You would have to bring all of hell itself to pry me from her bedside again! I will not leave her again!"

Sig had looked genuinely shocked at this point, but the nurse on the other hand was quite angry.

"Rules are rules young lady, now gather your things and move on!"

"I will do no such thing!" she refused to back down.

"Don't make me have you removed from the building!" the nurse threatened.

"Try to part me from her and I will make you regret it!" Spitfire got up and assumed a defiant stance.

"Then you leave me no choice, I--"

Sig had quietly come upon the nurse while her attention had been on me, "Lady I will make this clear to you, as I know your superiors very well. They know me from their associates in Manehattan, and I can assure you the damage I caused there to be with my son as he died will be quadrupled if you piss this one off."

"Sir, it doesn't matter rules are rules, and she would likely be fined for damages."

"That's adorable." he said with venomous sarcasm. "Allow for an exception under the table, or I will go to your superiors and make your life hell. If they don't budge, then I can always talk to the princess, but I don't think she will be happy to have to get involved in this. She is, after all, my band manager so getting in contact with her won't take long."

"Well I..." the nurse began to lose ground, knowing full well who Sig was.

"Look, she will be in here quiet as a mouse all night and nopony need know anymore." Sig looked over his shoulder at me. "Right Spitfire?"

"Yes sir." I answered with determination.

The nurse satisfied with the answer allowed her to stay, and proceeded to exit so she could scare off other visitors from the hospital. She couldn't believe the forest green stallion had actually pulled his influence into the argument. He hated acting like he was above others in order to get them to bend. Yet, for Spitfire he had done so.

"Spitfire, I'm proud of you." He said suddenly catching her completely off guard.

"Wh-What me?" She stuttered. "Why?"

"You kept your promise to me." he answered somberly. "Even when things got rough and the world literally fell apart under you... You still stayed by her side, In The End. Yeah sure, it wasn't perfect but things in life seldom are."

"Th-Thank you Sig, that means a lot to me." were the only words she could find after what he said.

"Keep an eye on her okay?"

Spitfire nodded her ascent as the stallion exited the room. The two pony's were about to learn a lot about one another over the next few months as they grieved the absence of Dash in their lives. So much would go through Spitfire's head too. Fear, doubt, pain, love, happiness, loss, but mostly dreaded worry. She wasn't half as strong as Dash, but she had to be right now for her. She just held her hand, and she would every night, as she nodded off looking at the dreamy expression of Rainbow's face.

There were still times when she felt like she didn't deserve to even sit at Rainbow's bedside. As if, for everything she had done to the loyal and compassionate mare was reason enough to not be here. To not be alive. Yet, here she was a memory creeping in from that day to remind her the cyan mare would have wanted her here at this very moment.

I still love you Spitfire, and I don't think I'll ever be able to stop lov-ing y-you.

With a last smile from Spitfire, she fell asleep at Dash's bedside. With the utmost loyalty.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

A month and a half after the incident...

"Sig why'd you bring that old beat up acoustic guitar today?" Spitfire asked in surprise.

"I wanted to share a song with you and Dash today." the stallion paused a moment before finishing his sentence. "A song I heard in my head when I got the news about her being in the hospital in a coma."

He took the old dark wood instrument out and began the process of tuning it to perfection. The stallion had to sit for this process. He was a musician of skill as he did this completely by ear alone. After all, Sig had been doing this most of his life. He then stood up and smiled, as he began to play the song with his fingers. It was a beautiful melody, and in the first set of deep toned lyrics, Spitfire heard Sig's soul.

Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone,
Rainbow the plans they made put an end to you,
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song,
I just can't remember who to send it to,

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end,
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,
But I always thought that I'd see you again,

Won't ya look down upon me Cel-estia,
Ya gotta help me make a stand,
You just got to see me through another day,
My body's aching and my time is at hand,
And I won't make it any other way,

I've seen fire and I've seen rain,
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end,
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,
But I always thought that I'd see you again,

He stopped at about this point seeming lost for words. The song was incomplete, and he hadn't been able to finish it. Why? It was such a beautiful song!

"That's about all I've been able to flesh out so far, but by the time she wakes up I'll have it ready for her." He said with a tear in his eye.

"Yeah, I don't doubt you will Sig."

The next month lead to her finding out about Signature's family life, and some of the stories of his past lives. Which, at first, surprised the golden pegasus to learn about, but she quickly made sense of it internally. No wonder he was so in tune with the world around him. She always snickered at that thought, him being a musician and all. Yet, as time went by hope began to fade for the mare they were connecting over. Two and a half months with no signs of any change? It began to take it's toll.

One night, Spitfire slipped away from her lover's room and off she went into the streets. She needed a drink for the pain in her heart, she arrived at a simple bar not a mile down the street from the hospital. She entered it to hear rock music playing over the sound system and it was dimly lit with party lights as well as a few old fashioned hanging lights. It was rustic and to her tastes. She sat down at the bar and ordered a drink, what harm was one?

One drink turned into three or four very quickly, as her heart swallowed down its despair. She ended up staying there longer than she intended, as it was Sig who came and found her. It had been four hours and it was now dark outside, he must have closed the shop and come to the hospital. Not finding her there he had to check up on her, but it was sad he started with a bar.

"Of course, you checked here first lemme guess?" She grumbled irritably at him.

"Well, I suppose things have been hard on the both of us don't ya think?" he said gently from behind. "I actually came here first because I wanted to get a drink before looking, but to my luck here you are."

"She risked it all for me and now she is dying." She said miserably through the alcohol haze. "She knows I'm not strong enough to bear losing her...why did she think I jumped from Dragon's Perch that day?"

"She didn't care why you did it." he answered plainly sitting down at the stool beside her and ordering a drink himself. "She only thought about saving you, she always wanted to save you from yourself. Maybe she thought it would help make you the strong mare you were once upon a time?"

"I never was strong, it was just vaunted bravado." She countered honestly. "It was just media hype they did for me as Captain of the Wonderbolts. She loves the image of me that was created by my position not me in that case. Kinda adds to my woes a bit."

"I don't think it's that at all Spitfire." he said taking his drink and drinking down half of it. "No, I know she sees that you have the potential to be the image they make you out to be... In fact, I believe Dash thinks you can be greater than anything anypony makes you out to be. She would give her very life to try to make you see it too."

She took a hard drink of her fifth glass of liquor reflecting upon the stallion's words. Reflecting on all the memories in her mind of Dash, and then a song came on the speakers that drew a strong emotion from deep inside of her. An image of a longer haired Rainbow Dash sitting upon the front stairs of her apartment in New Trottinghem glowed in her mind suddenly. A beautifully woven braid in her hair, her wings softly preened, her eyes always gentle, her heart always warm and welcoming. Tears broke from her eyes as she listened.

"Ah, now this song takes me back." Sig announced before noticing Spitfire crying. "What's wrong Spitfire?"

"I don't want her to die!" She cried as her heart was breaking. "I love her with all my soul, and I need her strength in my life! There has to be something I can do for her... Something that will reach her deep in her unconscious."

"You could always sing to her?" the stallion suggested.

"But I'm not much of a singer, and my voice is... Well..." she answered bashfully.

"Look, I can accompany you on guitar if you think it will help, but I don't think Dash will care as long as you do it with all your heart."

"What can I sing her though?" the golden mare fretted.

"Listen to this song, I'm sure you can find a song by a similar artist." Sig suggested. "Her voice was very particular as well, so it's likely you can find something in that."

As she listened to the acoustic guitar ring out and the voices harmonize in unison. She searched her heart for the answer, for what she wanted to do. Sig had agreed to help her with it, and for the next few weeks they worked on what would be her song to Dash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the night of hearth's warming eve, she had worked tirelessly for this and Sig had helped her to bring this song to life in her soul.

"You ready, you know the lyrics?" he said picking up his guitar.

"Like they were my name Sig." She said with a gentle smile. "Let's start."

Sig started in slowly and melodically. This was one of the songs he had suggested and it had found its way into the very depths of Spitfire's soul. At times her own singing voice actually sounded the same as the original artists, which Sig had said was exceptionally rare. It mattered little to her, she was singing only for her Dashie.

I took my love I took it down,
Climbed a mountain and a turned around,
And I saw my reflection,
In the snow covered hills,
Till the landslide brought me down,

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child deep in my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the shifting ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

She hummed warmly between lines believing her words were reaching her lover deep down inside.

Well I've been afraid of changing,
Cause I've built my life around you,
But time makes you bolder,
Even children get older,
And I'm getting older too,

Sig began to play off the rhythm to solo a little bit but it was no less beautiful that he could make his acoustic sound electric for just a brief time. They both put their heart and soul into this one present for Dash.

Well I've been afraid of changing,
Cause I've built my life around you,
But time makes you bolder,
Even children get older,
And I'm getting older too,
Oh yes, I'm getting older too,

Ahh ha, take my love, take it down,
Ahh ha, climb a mountain and turn around,
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills,
Well the landslide brought it down,

She felt her heart on fire as she sang into the next verse.

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills,
Well the landslide brought it down,
Oh the landslide brought it down.

"Happy Hearth Warming Dash." Spitfire said with a tear in her eye.

Dash smiled for but a moment, and yet it had happened. Spitfire would never forget that moment in all of her life. No matter what was to come for the two of them, she wouldn't forget it as the clock outside in the hall finished striking midnight just moments ago.

"I'll love you for the rest of my life Dashie." Spitfire said at last words she knew she had to say. "And I would die for you without a second thought."

"Is that how you really feel Spitfire?" Sig asked seriously.

"It is, and I know that now." was the golden mares undaunted response.

"Alright then, I have some digging to do." He said in a muted tone. "If you will excuse me."

"Of course Sig, I'll keep an eye on her."

________________________________________________________________________________________

Spitfire hadn't seen the signs that Signature had as the months had gone by. Yet, the pegasus seemed to know in her heart what was coming. Dash was seizing every week at least once, she suffered originally a weak heart attack, a slight stroke, and a total body muscular dysphoric misfiring. Well, that was what the doctors were calling it anyway. They also noted that every day it seemed she fought off a different internal bleeding, most frightening was in her lungs.

Sig knew when he saw death coming as he had stepped out of the room to let Spitfire have her moment with Dash. He knew the most frightful part about Dash's whole situation though. The doctors had said that her muscles were burning through so much that they were literally burning away themselves at this point to feed their great need for energy. Which had caused a great deal of damage to her heart and surrounding body. She was comatose because, if she was awake she would be in an immense amount of pain. They had said she would feel like she was on fire 24/7 and would cough up blood regularly if she was awake.

She would rather die than face that pain, but how long could she last in that coma? The doctors could only do so much to stop her body from fully attacking itself. They used the IV's to give her muscles something to burn other than her own body, but it seemed to do so little in the end. All they could do was slow down the inevitable.

This time Sig was determined to use what time he had left to make sure he was ready when the time came. He would not let death take this one from the world. He pulled out his cellphone and called the one pony he knew could help, or at least the one pony that would try.

"Hey, there manager." Sig said in a dead tone. "Got a favor to ask that only you can help with. Care to meet me at Ponyville general in about five ten minutes?"

He waited for the voice on the other end to respond.

"Well that's no good 'Tia, my daughter is dying and the time I have to find my answer is very, very precious." He answered when she gave him a negative response.

Her answer had changed entirely at that point, but instead of replying on the phone a bright flash covered the hallway he was in. The princess had not wasted a second in arriving. Teleporting herself instantly to the green stallion's side.

"Signature, if I can save her life... So help me I will!"

"Glad to have you on board manager." He responded in a moot tone.

PreviousChapters Next