• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,566 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,566

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: My Sacrifice

Earlier that morning...

Out in the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres, Rainbow Dash had been called upon to meet Pinkie for some reason her friend had been unwilling to bring up over the phone. The cyan pegasus could simply assume it had been about what had happened to her, and the treatments received which had freed her from her high tension mania. It was atop a hill in the middle of the eastern orchards, a place she knew, in her talks with Pinkie prior, was a very difficult place for the pink mare to venture to.

Dash of course elected to walk to the destination seeing no need for a hurry, but her muscles seemed to be restless and in pain this morning. It made her feel uncomfortable in her own skin, and she could scarcely place why this was happening. Among all the other things of negative repute in her mind, she found herself in a very chipper mood. Which yes, was quite conflicting for her and yet she had learned that the mind was rarely anything but conflicting.

Arriving on time and noticing her friend atop the hill she announced her arrival, "Hey Pinks, I made it!"

"Dashie!" The pink mare hollered before hurtling herself at Dash.

She was tackled to the ground in the biggest hug, as was Pinkie's customary greeting for almost everypony. Next was...

"Oh my gosh Dashie, it was oh so scary and terrorizing waiting up on this hill all alone by myself, but now your here and its like only a little bit better but still better than it was five seconds ago and..." Pinkie stopped to gasp for breath for just a moment.

Dash quickly put her finger to her friend's mouth to stop her, "Pinkie, don't worry. I get it, yer glad I'm here with you on the hill now. Say no more on that topic, but can we start on why you asked to meet me here of all places?"

"Oh, of course Dash." She answered getting up somberly from her friend. "I wanted to tell you about everything that happened to me in the psychiatric ward. Good and bad; information and all."

Pinkie helped the cyan mare to her hooves, and they proceeded to the top of the hill quietly. For the earth mare that was a miracle. Yet, arriving at the top she dramatically plopped down upon the grass to look up at the sky. This part of the orchard was surrounded by growth, but the trees were beginning to turn their autumnal shades. Being born just before autumn fully got into swing was always enjoyable to her. She always loved the season more than the others for the simple fact of what it could symbolize to her. Perseverance of renewal.

"You know, it was never easy to deal with that thing Gilda left inside of me." Pinkie started out in a somber tone now. "It haunted me all the time, preying on my weakness towards failing to keep my own promise to you and Applejack. Over time, it drove me over an edge I could scarcely understand, and my personality became split between two consciousnesses...es."

"Yeah, I know this part Pinks." Dash said gently.

"That's okay though, cause I've gotta say it regardless." the pink mare answered with a smile. "One moment I'd be doing something fun and normal, and the next I'd be duking it out with that voice inside. Then there would be silence and darkness surrounding me, inducing a sort of sleep. Next thing I know, I would come to with blood coating my body and matting my pelt. It would scare the living bajeebee's out of me, but no matter how hard I fought it I couldn't make it stop."

She was reliving the whole experience out loud to Rainbow, and for some reason her gut began to tell her that this might actually make a difference in her own life. This something was going to be a big something.

"Then we all know what came next, I came to one night as the last breath escaped Berry Punch's lungs." Pinkie seemed quite distraught. "I saw her die, but a part of me was thrilled. That was what scared me to death, and that was what caused me to go to the hospital. It was time to find out what was wrong with me, but they couldn't find a doctor that could work with me effectively... Until Doctor Psych came along. He was very interested in my condition and its initial write ups. He viewed it as a challenge for him to help me overcome."

"And let me tell you, it was the single hardest thing for him to figure out every day of your treatment process." The pegasus reminded her friend. "But he never gave up hope that he would find the answer."

"Yeah, and with all of your help he eventually put the pieces together." she smiled as her eyes sparkled. "Based on what had happened and what was currently happening to me, he came to the answer of the Hate Soul Manifestation. Sixty four pieces of purely evil, spiteful, and hateful black magic. It was like having another soul with a mind of it's very own, and it was all transferred into me by my contact with Gilda. She was the one that inadvertently created it within her own body after all, making her the most contagious source."

So it all started and ended at Gilda's obsession, or was it really only that that drove her over the edge to create it? She hadn't had the best life, nor had she been treated well by anyone she ever came into contact with aside from Dash. Maybe, this entire thing was inevitable for Gilda. It made Dash feel kind of sorry for her now, and she didn't like it one bit but... She felt she was slowly forgiving what had happened between them. Jackie would've forgiven her too knowing this.

"It was really a shot in the dark that he stumbled onto the idea, but during a late night study session he stumbled onto it." Pinkie chortled. "He and Twilight would really get along with their reading habits!"

Dash couldn't deny she had paired them up in the exact same manner, but knew that thought would never pan out outside an academic respect for one another. She laughed with her friend before she continued.

"But it was Mac that helped me find my way back to the surface long enough for the doctor to extract one of the sixty four pieces of the black magic." Pinkie said warmly. "He had used his magic to trap it in a crystal vial. The black icky goo filled the whole vial too! It was nasty that something like that was inside of me, but the doctor couldn't extract it until my personality and the hate soul lined up as I came to the surface of consciousness... Or something like that."

Wait, he had trapped the hate soul in sixty four containers? Dash's eyes went wide in surprise; the gears in her mind beginning to turn. What if it, or part of it, escaped those vials into the world. Would it dissipate, or would it seek out a new host?

"It took such a long time it seemed, but Macintosh was able to help me keep being drawn to the surface long enough for the doctor." Pinkie continued at full steam. "Though, near the end it got harder as the spirit began to distort it's retreat from my mind, and that part of the extraction actually kind of hurt. Then the day came for him to remove the last piece, the core of hate he called it. Even though it was a great day he seemed sad... And after the long three hour struggle with it he got out the last bit! It was blood red and nasty looking too! We also found out why he was sad at the end of the procedure. The day before, two vials were broken when one of his colleagues moved them without his permission."

Two vials broken? Something in her mind began to click into place but now she had to find the doctor to confirm her thoughts. Listening to Pinkie's story had quite possibly restored Dash's faith in her own emotions.

"After that he kept me under watch here on Apple Acres for a week and then deemed me fit for returning to society." the pink mare smiled brightly. "A fully clean bill of mental health! And every day I strive to make it up to the memory of the one life I did take. Dash, are you okay?"

Pinkie had sat up and was staring at her, the cyan mare was twitching with anticipation. Somehow, deep down she felt she was right about everything! She could feel that there would finally be some closure on everything that had happened to her in the past month.

"You always find a way to tell me the secrets of the universe Pinkie, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!" Rainbow began with excitement in her voice. "I have to go speak to your doctor right now, he may have the answer to a question I have that is ridiculously important for me to have answered! Can we try hanging out another time possibly?"

The pink party mare smiled with radiance, "Of course Dashie, go get 'em!"

With that Dash turned and ran at full speed for the hospital, this was it! The puzzle piece that had been missing the entire time in her head. And Psych had it! As she left Sweet Apple Acres she leaped into the air and continued to fly rapidly towards her destination, her muscles began to scream but her mind would not heed them right now.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Now once again she sat in the plain waiting room of the psychiatric hospital waiting for the good doctor. It wasn't long before he came out though, not a moment of delay with the message she said to give them. Although it could have been a lie, it may be truth by the end of this.

"Dash what is this I hear about a possible surge of hate soul manifestations in the city?" Doctor Psych started in a panic.

She snickered at seeing the doctor so flustered, "That may have been a teeny lie to get your attention, but my question for you may have the same consequences all the same."

"Wait, you lied to me about that?" he regained his composure quickly.

"Not quite doctor, but I do need to talk to you in private about this."

"Well, alright." He answered plainly. "We can use the hospital's botanical garden out back."

They headed out back for the botanical garden and as they came into view of it Dash was surprised at the beauty and magnificence of the plant life that seemed to flourish among the hospital. Into the canopy they headed until they came to a small yet quaint sitting area lined with benches and tables. Dash could only assume the doctors and nurses had their breaks here, and occasionally a patient who was near rehabilitation would get to visit it. Like Pinkie.

"Well Dash, what is it that could lead you to lie to hospital staff about that needs to be said?" The doctor said leaning up against a sturdy tree.

"Like I said Doc, it may not end up being entirely false." she reminded him gently. "It all depends on what you tell me about those two hate soul pieces that escaped."

The doctor simply looked at her wide eyed in shock before answering, "What do you need to know about that?"

"Being the most studied of your colleagues, I'm sure you know what happens when a containment vial is broken?" Dash immediately cut to what she wanted.

He sighed, "Yes I do know what happens, in theory that is."

"What happens?" She returned in anticipation.

"A hate soul manifestation fragment, in theory, if it should escape containment would seem at first to dissipate into the air." Psych began heavily. "This however, is not the case. It becomes ethereal for a time until it can find a new host to feed off of so it can restore and rebuild the pieces it lost from being extracted. The spirit's main objective, like most creatures in the wild, is survival."

Dash's eyes widened, "What kind of host does it usually seek out?"

"One with a weakened heart, one who is susceptible to manipulation from one of their own darker vices." the stallion answered knowing where this was leading. "Someone like Spitfire."

She knew it! The doctor had reached the same conclusion she had. The puzzle piece was almost in place in her head, but she had to confirm one last thing in her own mind.

"Can it act of its own will on that pony's vices, as if it had a consciousness of it's own?" Dash needed to know this with all of her heart. "Leaving them feeling disoriented and confused when they resurface over the hate soul?"

His answer was simple and resolute, "Yes. That is exactly what happens."

"Ha Ha! It-It wasn't her fault!" Dash shouted to the very heavens themselves.

"Did something happen with you and Spitfire, is she okay?" Psych questioned in worry.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Dash ignored him. "Thanks doc, everything is finally working out!"

She shot up out of the trees leaving Psych alone to his own thoughts. Depending on where the golden Wonderbolt was mentally would change everything. Why was the rainbow maned mare so impulsive sometimes?

"But Dash, Spitfire was suicidal before she came to my ward..." He said aloud hopelessly to the wind and trees around him.

He really hoped if things were bad, that Dash told her the good news right away. He, after all, had no way to contact Spitfire to make sure she was alright. It's days like this I hate my job... All I can do now is hope for the best. He headed back to the hospital to continue the loads of paperwork he had, tend to his patients, and try to get some more studying done for his research project.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Later that day...

It was nearly sunset as Dash and Sig sat upon a cloud looking out at the horizon to the west. They had managed to procure a single platform cloud for the evening, just as the brash older stallion had believed they would. Although, it had been directly over the city this evening. Dash had been busy relaying her tale to her father about what she had learned today.

"And that's the best part of it dad!" She said happily. "It wasn't ever her fault."

"Well figures that it was a hate soul, but I gotta say Dash, things still trouble me." Sig seemed less than enthused by her prospects, more cautious than she was ready for.

"What the heck, why cant you be happy about this?" She found herself shouting.

"I am happy, but I am curious about one thing in particular." the stallion started steady. "If she is still inhabited by a hate soul, can you tolerate her being two people? Can you tolerate her sleeping with every mare and stallion in Equestria while still being with you?"

He had a good point, but she had a counter, "Doctor Psych can draw the spirit from her body!"

"No Dash, he cannot perform a procedure like that without the express consent of the patient." the forest green stallion said firmly. "His code of ethics still applies, and you can't speak for her in that kind of situation. Not unless she is unfit to think rationally and is of harm to herself or others. And I don't think sexual deviance is of harm to others or herself... Well at least not in a court of law."

Again, she was countered into submission. Her heart had soared with the thoughts of victory, but as always her father had put her perspective in the correct place. Rainbow let out a heavy sigh, Spitfire just seemed so far away from safety. I still love her too much to give up on her though!

The sun had begun it's decent now and the rays of light it gave off were utterly breathtaking. Dash was just so overwhelmed with awe and wonder. Her life hadn't been so bad overall, but when hope of getting a chance to get Spitfire back came around... It was taken back right away. Not all things in life get to be perfect, her father and her were living proof of that fact. Their moments had always been fleeting, just like this sunset.

"Dash, do you see that?" Sig broke into her thoughts suddenly. "It looks like a... Oh dear Celestia, is that a pony falling from higher up in the skies?"

The rainbow maned mare looked up into the sky to see an orange colored dot falling from the sky. She looked to be falling from a cloud much, much higher up in the sky. Is that Dragon's Perch? It was and she knew it in her heart! Now she focused on the falling pony with all her strength trying to see them if only for a second. She couldn't see the pony clearly, but somewhere in her heart she knew exactly who it was. A black mist then erupted from the falling pony, and Dash knew one hundred and twenty percent that was her lover, Spitfire!

"What will you do?" Sig said like a prophet.

"What do you mean, what will I do?" Dash retorted in fury.

"Save Spitfire, and you have to deal with two possibilities." the stallion knew what she did about the falling mare and this wasn't surprising. "Either you bring home a mare with two minds, or you let her free herself from the demons destroying her inside... But maybe, just maybe... You will bring home the Spitfire you know and love with all your heart. Do you trust her to come home to you forever?"

"Well I..."

She had to pause a moment and think about things. Her heart began to race inside, and strangely enough a melody began in her head. A melody never heard or written out before, had begun to drive her spirit high into the heavens. This was it, this was the very crossroad of her life. Where it would go from here was entirely up to her choice.

"Again, I ask my daughter, what will you do?"

"Tch, fool..." she answered clenching her fists tightly.

Dash kicked off the cloud at full strength, she didn't have to think about a thing. No, all she had to do was act and accept the responsibilities of what she would achieve regardless of the outcome. The song began to play in her head louder, and she flapped her wings to try to gain all the speed she could. At this rate, there was no hope of catching Spitfire, she was falling too fast! She needed more power, more strength, more magic, more anything!

"I WILL NOT let you die dammit!" Dash vowed aloud.

All of her muscles kicked into overdrive, and her speed increased exponentially. She propelled herself into a sonic rainboom, but the speed only kept growing. She would give every last bit of her heart and soul to catch Spitfire, no price was too high now. Her eyes glowed with magic as her element of loyalty added its strength to her undying devotion. No pegasus had ever shot through the skies at this speed before in all of history.

Time seemed to slow as the two mares collided. Dash spun into a corkscrew after wrapping Spitfire in her arms tightly, and gradually she began slowing to a normal speed. Her spirit was aflame seeing the look in her loves eyes, it was a look of utter disbelief.

"Dash, why would you--"

"Stupid Spits, I told and promised you one thing." the cyan mare said with the boldest smile. "I always said I would catch you should you ever fall. That meant figuratively and literally."

"But we--"

"We can work things out I'm shu--guh!" Dash shuddered.

Something was dreadfully wrong, her muscles were starting to spasm and her heart rate was through the roof. Suddenly, she began to hack and cough uncontrollably, and she noticed quickly it was blood not saliva escaping her mouth. Her breathing was increased dramatically and she was blinking ridiculously fast. She felt dizzy and all sorts of terrible. Her body had surpassed the limits of a normal creature of this world, and she was now paying the price for it. Sorry Spitfire but I had to save you at least once you beautiful mare you...

"DASH!!!" Spitfire was screaming at her, blood on her face and tears in her eyes. "Dammit don't do this to me! Hang in there!"

She was trying but the muscle spasms were getting worse. It felt like all of her insides were constricting and squeezing her insides to pieces. Her heart was also a muscle, Oh no... She felt the most violent pain strike through her entire body from the exact spot where her heart was. It was a heart attack, Impossible! She was so young and had no history of heart problems, the ground seemed to be coming up fast and Spitfire was on the bottom. It was then she felt her eyes roll into her head, and a warm liquid like feeling began covering what felt like the entire inside of her skull. Her whole body beginning to twitch and writhe in a seizure. I cannot let Spitfire see anymore harm!

In her last ditch physical effort, she managed to swap her and Spitfire's position as they hurdled into the ground below plowing a decent sized crater into the planet. It was several long agonizing moments before there was a slight reduction of all the pain she was experiencing. Spitfire was still recovering from the shock of the landing. As the dust around them began to settle the golden mare came to and was immediately at Dash's side trying to get a response from her.

"Dash, sweet Celestia why?" the beautiful fiery mare fretted in utter fear. "Dash say something, say anything! Please!"

"Hey there flare butt, listen a moment." She replied with a voice tense with pain.

"You sound terrible, where's your phone I'll call the hospital!" Spitfire wasn't paying attention, her fear was too great. "You need a doctor right now! I just... I just..."

She shut the mare up by reaching up, grabbing her, and pulling her down into a deep kiss that lasted only a few seconds. The golden mare was so shocked by this moment and that it happened, instantly being silenced.

"I still love you Spitfire, and I don't think I'll ever be able to stop lov-ing y-you."

Her eyes rolled back into her head as she fell unconscious from the inferno of pain that was her entire body at this point. She had said all that needed to be said, now... Now she just needed her rest. She felt like she could sleep a century away, she felt six feet from the edge... And it really wasn't so bad.

What she didn't realize was this was not the end of her struggle. No, it was far from the perfect ending, as was always the case in her life. Now she felt like she was dying, and she didn't know how she knew this... But she just knew. It was the ultimate price to pay, but she wasn't afraid or ashamed of her choice to risk it all that day.

At least I told her what was in my heart, what was in my soul, and I can be content with it ending like that.

Author's Note:

Don't hate me for this chapter! :raritydespair: We aren't out of the storms yet! :rainbowdetermined2:

PreviousChapters Next