• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,568 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,568

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: The Last Rock Show

Author's Note:

Oh my a climactic chapter we have here, and quite the musical one as well! Hope you enjoy the music and the tale that is woven here! (Btw...this isn't the end guys!) :pinkiehappy:

The Canterlot Bowl had been packed to capacity tonight Dash and Spitfire easily noticed as they looked around from practically the front rows of seats. Dash had continued to wear her dad's jacket, and surprisingly enough her marefriend's attention was locked on her now as she clutched the cyan mare's hand tightly. They had been chatting among themselves as well as the other ponies sitting next to them. The sky above navy blue, dotted with bright stars, and utterly clear of clouds.

The weather team here is doing a great job of not gate crashing, proud of them!

Dash chuckled to herself at this thought but was soon silenced as the lights around the bowl went out and all that could be heard was the cry of a timber wolf echoing loud around the entire venue. The fans were immediately on their feet they knew what was coming even without the sound of a guitar. Suddenly the lights came up on the band, and the action came to life as Sig played in the song and then in came the bass guitar hard and heavy as all could be. In fact, it seemed like this song was mostly bass, and it sure was a deafening sound!

As they came together in harmony Sig let loose a little bit before Ace strutted up to the stage. Spitfire was already roaring out cheers as the white stallion kicked into the lyrics:

I got a silly little girl she on a my mind,
No doubt about it she looks so fine,
She's the best girl that I ever had,
Sometimes she gon' make me feel so bad!

The harmony began again and Dash could feel herself dancing along as Redd rocked back and forth while her father hopped around like a rabbit dishing out the sound of his favorite thing in the world on stage. Each of the band members really gave it one hundred and ten percent. Dash could really respect that kind of drive.

"This is amazing!" Spitfire yelled to Dash. "I haven't been this close to the stage since Ravenwood!"

"Agreed!" Was all Dash could manage as the song broke away at last.

"Heellllooo, Canterlot!" Ace sreeched over the microphone. "How we all doin' tonight?"

The crowd roared back so loud Dash could hardly believe a group of sound could be so loud. I mean she had already gone deaf after the first song, or at least things seemed muffled.

"Well heck, I'm glad to see everyone so psyched up for our return to the sound waves!" Ace rallied loudly.

"We love you Ace!" A fan screamed louder than anyone else.

"Don't tell my wife that, she WILL kill me!" The white stallion joked. "Hey Sig, you loosened up yet?"

Her dad stepped up to his mic, "Oh not just yet, lets remind em we're back in town. After all we started here, it's like our home town."

"Then get this show on the road!" Ace hollered.

Signature blasted hard power chords in timely succession, and by the time Ace ripped into the chorus Dash knew the song and was screaming her approval. Sig and Ace sang off the chorus in fact:

The boys are back in town,
The boys are back in town,
I said the boys are back in toooowwn,
The boys are back in town,
The boooys are back in town,

Every time the guitar parts came up the forest green stallion over played them. As if each and every moment was a solo leading up to an actual long streaming solo. His hands slid back and forth on his fretboard like magic hitting every practiced note with utter skill. As the notes faded Sig stepped up to the front of the stage.

"Now that I'm warmed up, I dedicate this next song to my son...who also wrote it before he passed away earlier this year." Sig readied his guitar. "Take it Brimm!"

As the drums kicked in rapidly, Sig instantly took to hopping about as he ripped across the strings on his guitar like they were made of the softest velvet and it took very little for him to elicit the perfect note. The forest green stallion was all over the place, the stage had become his playground as his smile only grew in radiance.

Wait, Brazen Winds wrote this song? She realized it with a slap, music must have been in Signature Sandwich's blood through and through. Maybe his son wanted to one day play on stage with his father, if only once.

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday Night's Alright!

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday Night's Alright!

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday,
Saturday Night's Alright!

The ending lyrics were simple but as Ace stopped singing Sig just kept going, off into his own solo he probably added for his own effect. His own tribute to his late child. As his last note sailed away, the crowd again broke into a unanimous roar.

"Thank you everypony, I'm glad you can still hear me loud and clear through my guitar." Sig thanked everyone in the audience before retiring from near the front of the stage.

The crowd was cheering still, in an unadulterated holler at this point. The band waited for it to die down a bit before continuing. A cold breeze blew through the audience at that point and Dash was glad for the jacket Spitfire had given her. It was then the scarlet bassist Redd came up to his mic.

"Hey Brimm you think it's time for something new?"

Brimm's only reply was the clacking of his drumsticks together starting the timing for the next song. He launched right into it, and Sig was one of the first to catch onto the song. Southern rock, Ace picked up his guitar for the rhythm sections. the stage lit up as Ace, Sig and Redd sang the lines among each other. All Ace had to say was, Talk that talk and Signature lit up into a wickedly beautiful solo. After that Ace started lyrics, then red took a line, and Sig finished it before they all came together again.

She's got designer jeans(Ace),
Sun dyed blue(Redd),
Break out in a sweat when she looks at you(Sig),
She loves lights, cameras, and action(Together),
To the boys on the set she's the star attraction(Together),
Just watch the way she walks(Ace),
She's got a double barrel figure(Redd),
Watch her body talk(Sig),
She's a twentieth century fox(Together),

A few lines later and Sig was back in his own world soloing. This was entirely missed by Dash though as Spitfire had wrapped her up in an embrace and pushed her lips hotly up against hers. Things got a little more sexual than she would've liked but fortunately no one could see it among the throngs of ponies everywhere. She let it go on as she enjoyed the attention, but the surprise came as Spitfire broke away clutching her stomach.

"What's wrong?" Dash asked in worry.

"I dunno, just got a massive cramp in my stomach." Spitfire responded in pain. "Dammit, and I was getting so into the moment. Now I'm just gonna ruin your birthday."

"Aw don't say that hun." Dash pleaded with her pitiful marefriend. "Can you make it one more song at least?"

"Yeah I think I can do that, but you gotta promise me something."

"Sure what is it?" Rainbow answered eagerly.

"That even if I head back to the room, you stay here and see the magic that is your father's guitar playing." Spitfire said with a gleam in her eyes. "If I can't see the show I want you to tell me all about the parts I'll miss okay?"

Rainbow hesitated but gave into this simple request, "Okay you can count on me, now come here!"

She grabbed her marefriend and pulled her in close to her and held her all through the next song. Halfway to Heaven, it was one of their classic songs where Sig shifted the sound of his guitar to where it sounded like it was screaming to the very heavens themselves. It made her realize that even though her and Spitfire were having a rough patch they really were just like the title of this song.

Spitfire was still complaining of increasing pain in her abdomen even after the song was over, so just as she promised she let the golden mare head home in defeat. It was two or three songs later that Sig was back up at the mic again, before speaking he looked down and locked eyes with Dash. Oh shit, he couldn't possibly mean to... But there he went right off the stage and into the audience to abduct her. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her along until she was up on stage with him.

"Now everyone, I want to announce something to all of you right now." she couldn't believe he was doing this. "As many of you may know, this is Rainbow Dash. And as of about a month ago she is now my adopted daughter."

The crowds silence and quiet murmuring turned into cheers of approval.

"Thank you, thank you, but that's not why I dragged her up here." Sig began impishly.

Oh my Celestia, I knew he would do this! Dammit Dad!

"No you see, it's her twenty first birthday today!" he laughed, that evil stallion. "But please don't go singing her happy birthday... I think she will die of embarrassment from that. And I would really like her to not be dead a month after the adoption!"

The crowd laughed with him and on occassion just screamed happy birthday to Dash anyways.

"Anyways, I thought I would make that announcement before the intermission!" the forest green stallion said shaking his hand out. "My fingers are killing me, it sucks getting old! Anyways see you all in twenty minutes... Or so!"

With that he quickly whisked Dash off stage, his haste was disturbing her greatly. He stopped them inside a little room in the back and indicated she should sit down. He closed the door and rounded on her worry lighting his face and mirrored in hers.

"Where is Spitfire?" He began interrogating her. "I saw her leave like three songs ago, what's up?"

"She was getting bad cramps in her abdomen she said." Dash answered honestly. "She tried to ride it out one song but they just got worse so I let her head back to the room to rest. Promised her I'd tell her everything that happened when I got back."

"She would never pass up one of our concerts because of pain, she is one of our most dedicated fans!" Sig raised his voice. "I mean hell, your wearing the jacket I gave her when she was a freezing little filly, and she has treasured that thing since. The patches on her vest? They're all from our concerts over the years, and a few of the bands we openly endorsed! She wouldn't have missed this concert for any...thing."

As her father's voice trailed off into silence her heart screamed, "What is it dad, what do you know that I don't!"

"What was she addicted to once upon a time..." he answered bleakly. "So addicted to it that she forgot about the music that once made her heart soar..."

"What! What is it DAD!" She screamed her heart wrenching in pain at the possibility forcing her to her feet.

He approached her and gripped her arms forcefully, "Leave the concert now and go follow her back to your room, but do it at a casual pace. This is something I can't tell you. You have to find it out on your own, and I hate to think what is coming for the two of you."

"Please dad, just tell me what you think is going on!" She begged him.

"I don't know what it could end up being and I don't want to be wrong about this and get you in a foul mood." He looked sullen. "We all know you tend to jump the gun on your emotions. So go on, get outta here and find your girl!"

He pushed her out of the dressing room and she, in her panic, rushed out of the backstage area and shot up into the cold, dark night sky.

______________________________________________________________________________

Sig moved back to the stage in defeat. Spitfire had gone and taken steps backwards, and Dash would suffer for it surely... He knew what was to come so the only thing he could do was play a song, and hope it reached her heart. As he walked out on the stage the guys tried to say stuff to him that he couldn't even hear. He just walked by them right up to the front mic, and swung his guitar off his back.

"This is for my daughter and me." He said in a deep sad voice.

A lone guitar note broke out and instantly his fellow band mates were ready to play alongside their oldest friend and brother. So blue and melancholy were Sig's thoughts, his heart felt like it could explode form the pain. It was in this that he knew his song would be perfect. Even if he was gonna sing it.

Some people like to gamble,
But to you always lose,
Some people like to rock and rooollll,
Yer always singin' the blues,
You got a nasty disposition,
No one really knows the reason why,
You got a bad bad reputation,
Gonna hang on yer head and cry,

You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,
You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,

Thirteen's my lucky number,
To you it means stay inside,
Black cat's gon' cross my path,
No reason to run an' hide,
You're looking through the cracked mirror,
No one really knows the reason why,
Your enemies are getting nearer,
Gonna hang on yer head and cry,

You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,
You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,

The bass broke in for a short time before Sig took the solo away. As he played he felt the tears break away from his eyes, his heart burning like fire, his soul shattering for his daughter, his fingers screaming out in pain as he played the notes so fast and hard it was ridiculous, and all of it was bleeding through. Even the pain in Dash's heart, the dread and worry that was driving her mad right now.

Some people go to church on Sundays,
Others they pray at home,
You tell 'em that there ain't no god,
And their better off standing alone,
Yer always scratchin' at the eight ball,
No one really knows the reason why,
You get to the top and then you fall,
Gonna hang on yer head and cry,

You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,
You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,

You got bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,
C'mon give it to meh,
Bad, bad luck,
Bad, bad luck,
C'mon get it!

As he finished the song with its last power chords he fell to his knees looking into the sky with tears in his eyes.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner Rainbow Dash, your father failed to protect you already...

______________________________________________________________________________

As Dash arrived at their room she put her ear gently to the door and heard two voices. TWO VOICES? What the hell was going on here, they sounded far too playful to be Spitfire and the on call doctor. In fact they sounded like they just got done doing something that shouldn't be done.

"Oh Fleet, that was just too amazing as always!" came Spitfire's sultry bedroom voice. "You always know how to hit just the right levels of kinkiness for me. I don't think I've gotten that kind of release since last time we met up a week ago!"

"And you always know just how to get me to scream Spitty." answered the breathless voice of Fleetfoot. "In fact, you're the only mare who can get me that kind of release, why don't we talk about getting back together?"

Dash felt her heart shatter and dissappear into the winds of time itself.

"We are together at this moment, so be happy with that dammit don't be so greedy!" Spitfire commanded as it sounded like she got up from a bed.

"Oh yes mistress, I'll do anything you command me to!" Fleetfoot said in mock obedience. "Aw getting dressed already?"

"Yeah, the concert will be over soon and I'd like to go see the ending at least." The golden mare answered completely heartless. "Dash will be missing me too about now I'm sure, and I have to keep everyone happy after all."

That's it, no more. I am done trying to save her from her bucking self.

Dash turned around dropped down on her hands like Jackie showed her once upon a time, and kicked the door with all of her hatred. She leaped up facing forward looking directly at Spitfire in pure anger. All she had on were her pants and as she saw Dash her jaw dropped and her demeanor did a complete one-eighty.

"Yeah you sure do have to keep everyone happy now you cheating bitch!" she said noting Fleetfoot on the bed, smiling. "And here I was thinking there was hope for you, betting everything on you, giving everything I could to you and then some!"

"Rainbow I--What's happening?" Spitfire seemed shocked and dazed, like she just came back to reality.

It was too late for her though as Dash took off the jacket she'd been given earlier and threw it at the golden pegasus mare she once felt the world for. Now replaced by a hollow numb pain as she hit the mare in the face with the garment.

"Take your damn jacket back and cover yourself up you shameful excuse for a decent mare!" Dash roared and what crossed her lips next sealed the deal. "We are officially through! Go ahead Fleetfoot, gloat you pitiful backstabbing whore!"

"Okay, I will correct you then." She replied with icy venom in her voice. "I'm not a whore as the only mare I want to be with and give myself to is the one you so piously stole from me. Now that I have her back I won't bother you anymore. You poor naive girl!"

The cyan mare stared down Fleetfoot for a second more before turning and leaving, without any of her luggage. The last thing she knew she heard was Spitfire dropping to her knees in shock. It's what she deserves when she chooses to live a double life. Dash leaped with all her might into the night sky flying as high as she could, the tears streaking across her face. Where would she go now, how could she love ever again, why should she care ever again? The pain in her chest was all too real, and the pain became more evident as her muscles began to act strange again. She was forced to land on a hill outside Canterlot, she turned and looked over her shoulder for but a moment before walking away.

I guess that's it then, everything is over and done with. Guess I don't deserve happiness. Jackie...Dad...I'm sorry...

PreviousChapters Next