• Published 24th May 2014
  • 1,565 Views, 341 Comments

This Bright Blazing Future - Dynasty-Kaine



Sequel to Our Pasts That Haunt Us. It has been a month since the last events of Rainbow's turbulent loss of Applejack, but from the ashes of that loss a glimmer of hope shows among all the terrible things going on around her. ANTHRO.

  • ...
24
 341
 1,565

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Kirin Rush, The Beginning

Author's Note:

Seeing as this is a chapter based on a band, you guys can expect a BUTT TON of music links. You can choose to stop and listen to them before continuing reading or not. I leave the choice to my readers. Well, enjoy the continuing story of Signature Sandwich and Kirin Rush!

Signature Sandwich found himself once again within his memories, but he felt far more alive than was normal for a dream. He wasn't in his body, but an observer in this world Celestia had sent him. Looking around he found himself in a hotel room, and he tried to piece together what day it was from his memories. He found it was quite hard to place the memory until a frantic knocking came to his door.

As that happened his vision switched to his past self's eyes, and into his memories he went entirely. As if they had happened only moments ago, he now had to relive his memories bit by bit. Celestia had to have some purpose for forcing him back into his past, but he wouldn't know why unless he went along with it.

This memory was a year and a half, roughly, from when the band first got together. Sig remembered plainly.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Sig threw the blankets off of himself and got up from his bed quite irritable. He absolutely hated being awakened earlier than his body was ready for, but since it sounded like Ace knocking he made an exception. Rather than kill the white pegasus, he opened the door for him with a look of grouchy disregard.

"What do you want Ace?" the green stallion growled.

"To tell you the most amazing news I could ever have gotten!" the pegasus chirped brightly.

"You realize I'm resisting murdering you extremely well right now, so get in here and tell me while I wake up more." the stallion said leaving the door ajar as he headed back into the room.

The white vocalist practically skipped into the room closing the door behind him, which struck Sig as bizarre at best. Ace never closed the door when he just left it ajar! Yet, he was still far too tired to care about that small detail. As a band they had been playing for over a year now and, with a few gigs under their belts, were beginning to cause a little stir in the rock scene. Still, it hadn't been much of an accomplishment to the guitarist at all, even if the skill of the others had gone up drastically in the last year.

As the forest green stallion headed to the bathroom he heard his friend take a seat at the small dining table in his room. If his friend had said anything, Sig didn't hear it as he turned on the faucet and cupped his hands under the water. This was his remedy to a drowsy morning; he splashed his face with the chilly morning waters briskly opening his stubborn eyes. He dried his face off with a beige towel before heading back out into the main room, the towel wrapped around his neck.

"Okay, now that I'm more awake what is it Ace?" Signature started more casually this time.

"Member how you said we would never get to compete for the Autumn Harvest Festival's Battle of the Bands this coming fall?" the white stallion's smile was bright as the sun. "You were wrong!"

"Wh-What?" the forest green stallion's eyes went wide in surprise. "No way! We actually got accepted for the tryouts? Which grouping are we in? Canterlot, Manehattan, Baltimare, Cloudsdale?"

"Oh yeah, we got into tryouts, but the grouping is of some worry this year." Ace said trailing off. "Seeing as there is none, we all play at Canterlot Amphitheater, and we are competing against every band collectively. We have to plan three rounds of songs that showcase our talent and we are next to last band to play each round."

"Oh, well that isn't too bad seeing as we have plenty of talent, and playing nearly last isn't a loss either!" Sig answered looking at his friends' worried face. "Why do you still look so upset Ace, something still bothering you?"

"We are followed by Heart and Hoof, Lectric Screams' band."

Signature's heart sank instantly. They had played a fair in the last month or so where the rival guitarist's band had also played, and it had not been a pleasant encounter in the least for them. It was like Lectric's band was playing in a relaxed but pompous way, as if they thought they couldn't be challenged. It was borderline arrogance, and the green stallion wasn't going to stand for it. They had a conversation band to band shortly after the last performance, and a fight surprisingly broke out when Lectric insulted Ace's singing skills.

Without a moment of hesitation, Ace drove his fist into the blue stallion's face and the brawl got confusing every moment after that. Eventually, it turned into such a big battle that the police showed up, broke the crowd up, and inevitably arrested Ace for starting the entire thing. That was how the "Mosh Pit" was born, but despite this both bands got their fines. We were slated with community service to repair the damages done to the town during our little scuffle. It had been worth it though as Ace had done what all of them had wanted to do; the cocky blue stallion had done nothing but subtly bash all of them the entire time they had spoken.

Lectric likely held a sore spot over being caught off guard by Ace, and he was a very likely suspect to attempting to sabotage Kirin Rush's first big break into the music scene. Not that the blue stallion's band needed to do so, they won the Battle of the Bands every year anyways. If Sig and the guys were going to prosper at this competition though, they were going to have to pull out all of their best songs. Anxiety crept into his mind, how could they be at that level by the qualifier for battle of the bands?

"Okay then we are going to have to perfect our sound before the competition tryouts the week before Fall." Signature declared. "Otherwise we will never get in to that competition."

"Then let's go get the other guys and get this party started!" Ace said with renewed conviction.

As the scene faded to black he recalled the fact that Lectric had insulted his entire band during that conversation, and how Ace had done what all of them had wanted to do. It made him smile, mostly because that act showed how proud the white pegasus was of his own skills and band. The Battle of the Bands audition had made the rest of the band want to maul the blue stallion even more. Because of him, it had been fixed from the get go and they were practically doomed from the start.

It had been spring when they received confirmation of invitation to the auditions, and they practiced their skills up till the week before. They had even worked out three new songs fully to add to the fire of their performance. There were well over forty bands that had been invited, and only the bands that placed in the top five would be chosen to compete in the finals. Playing order was extremely significant among so many other bands, and that was because your band could easily become a footnote in the judges minds if they were followed by a really strong performance.

The songs they put together for that day were intended to counter Heart and Hoofs' repertoire of songs. A song list Signature knew all too well, as he had been paying attention to their band for some time now. Images began flashing in front of him of that day, as their plans to survive the qualifier were torn apart piece by piece.

The first song they had chose to play had been one of Aces' own pieces, and he had written it to thrill the audience. Sig had gone all out on his guitar, Redd held the rhythm steady, Brim easily crushed the beat, and Ace captured a side of his voice that was rough to use. They had done amazingly well, and had impressed the judges with their practically flawless combined sound.

As Lectric Scream's band came on stage though, it was apparent to the forest green stallion something was amiss. As the blue stallion started the guitar line, Signature felt it like a declaration of war among the bands. Lectric wanted blood and he was going to get it. They had come out stronger with their sound and overall shine of performance, making Kirin Rush look like a simple footnote.

"No, this isn't possible!" Sig shouted during the performance. "How can they so easily counter us with a song like that?"

"Maybe it's just a coincidence?" Redd suggested.

"Well, we will see next round won't we?" Ace followed.

Next, was a song written by Redd, and again they went out with all they had. In the last round of scoring they placed in the top ten, but just barely at ninth place. While Lectric's band held the fifth place marker, and deep down Sig felt they weren't going to hand it over. His solo ripped through the building as Ace's scream echoed off the walls, this was the duo's kind of song. One that they couldn't get enough of.

As the last note broke away, Sig and Ace were breathing heavily. The judges seemed to approve greatly of their sound. They had showcased their lead guitar and vocals this round, surely that wasn't going to be easily countered.

"There...that...that should shut those disbelievers up!" the forest green guitarist said breathlessly.

"Especially that pansy...Lectric Scream..." Ace panted heavily. "He can't hope...to match my voice!"

As they crossed Lectric trading places on the stage though, he saw an utterly sadistic smile on his face. He now knew this entire performance was a facade to humiliate Kirin Rush. He was tired after that performance though, and headed back stage to sit down for a moment and drink some water. He found himself spitting the water out the second he heard the blue stallion counting out as he played, Sig knew exactly what song was played next.

He had hoped it wouldn't be the choice to follow, but as he arrived at the side stage Lectric had broken out into his solo. This performance was just as strong if not stronger than the last one. They showcased their guitar players more than anything, but it was a fact that wasn't missed with the blue stallion's solo skills.

"That is impossible!" the guitarist shouted in anger. "It's like they are trying to make sure our score always gets undervalued!"

"You know, I've got to agree with you now Sig." Redd admitted as he watched.

"Okay, even at our best right now, that little turd has fixed this whole event for vengeance." Ace griped. "I'll murder him for this!"

"Guys, that won't solve anything." Brimstone broke in and was instantly rounded on by the white pegasus. "Look, they are just on another level compared to us. The fact that Lectric went to this trouble over us though, shows that he is afraid of our potential. We've gotta accept this for now, we can not win."

Signature answered defiantly, "I won't accept that!"

He had been blinded by the blue stallion's petty games, and was going to burn out everything he had for the next song. Redd had helped him to put the song together so it sounded right, and the result was a mellow song with words that called Heart and Hoof out morally. Brim and Sig brought in the next song together slowly when it was next their turn on stage.

The band placing as of the second round had them in sixth place, and Heart and Hoof still holding fifth even though their performance had been of first place quality. Lectric Scream had them barred from getting in legitimately to the Battle of the Bands. This song had let them add in the voices of the guitarists along with Aces' for the chorus, and Brim had kept the drum beat strong and lively even. They had taken the atmosphere of the hall down a peg towards lively but calm, and yet Sig knew in his heart that this choice of song could come back to bite them.

After their performance he sat waiting on stage right, watching as Heart and Hoof tuned and readied their instruments. All three front stallions stood closer to the microphone than usual, and it hit the guitarist quickly. They were going to counter the vocal unity that his band had just displayed, but how was what he was left to wonder. That was until Lectric and his drummer kicked in quickly with a great degree of power. The guitar playing and drum line was absolutely perfect, and the occasional harmony of vocals was spot on as well.

He felt his heart shatter from pure unadulterated rage, they had been cheated. He hadn't wanted to stay and hear that their band had finished sixth still despite what they had gone through. Signature knew well enough to know that was the verdict coming their way, and he wanted no part of it for face value of his band. He walked out the backstage exit and did not return that evening.

Signature's sight went dark again and resumed in the park they always met at. Silent Storm had seen him leaving and had caught up to him in the Canterlot streets. She had followed him here since he had been reluctant to talk to her in the streets. At this point though, they were fighting.

"This has all just been some pipe dream that I should have never dragged anyone into!" Sig shouted. "In the end, we are just mediocre cause that little prick Lectric deems it so!"

"You didn't drag any one of us into this!" Storm returned. "We joined you of our own free will you stubborn mule! As for Lectric, who cares what he does, or what he likes for that matter!"

"Maybe you should start considering his views, seeing as he is such a better option to take interest in compared to me!" the forest green stallion fumed blindly.

His response was a hard slap to the face from the pristine white mare. As he looked at her in surprise he noticed she was wearing the black band t-shirt they had made, with a light blue denim jacket and black denim pants. Stopping for a moment he looked up into her eyes, shining like gemstones cause of tears.

"Signature Sandwich you IDIOT!" she roared viciously. "Stop your pitiful whining, and think before you speak! You know me better than that you dumb stallion."

Her voice dropped with her last sentence, and now he knew why she had slapped him. To even suggest she should go after Lectric was the worst of insults to her. What was this feeling of warmth spreading through him, he felt he couldn't look away from Storm's peridot colored eyes. Maybe he had noticed it before, but now it felt different. Stronger somehow.

"Wh-What is it Sig?" she questioned him bashfully now.

"Did you know, that you have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen?" he replied affectionately as he took a step toward her.

"Oh, so now you're done venting and going off on me?" the white mare replied defensively.

"Yeah, I am." the green stallion said gently, now standing directly in front of her. "Your eyes always seem to bring me back somehow, and I'm glad you've kept them on me. If you know what I mean Storm."

Her face flushed bright red as she turned away in embarrassment. She hadn't known what else to do it seemed. The forest green stallion reached up and turned her back to facing him although she avoided eye contact.

"Well then?" Sig questioned again softly.

"My brother would never allow it and you know it." the mare reasoned pitifully. "You would have to show him your dreams were stronger than anything in this world, and after walking out on the band tonight...I don't think he'll be too forgiving."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"Well, start by continuing to play your music with passion." Storm began. "And somehow help the band to humiliate the heck out of Lectric Scream; that would make Ace a bit more open to things."

"Oh, and then what?" Sig questioned with an affectionate tease.

"Then I'm sure he'll let you date his sister." the white mare answered staring at him with conviction in her eyes.

"Are you sure we aren't already dating though?" the earth stallion joked.

She chuckled softly, "Maybe we are."

They embraced in a tight hug after that and they seemed inseparable in that moment. She was his biggest fan, and his biggest critic. Storm was kind of a big deal to him and he was only just realizing it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature's memories broke for a moment as he fully experienced the warmth he had felt that night towards Silent Storm. This event had not been something he expected Celestia to make him relive, and quite frankly left him even more confused. Why had the princess felt this was a necessary memory for him to relive?

"Tuning my heartstrings?" he mumbled to himself.

Was she making him relive the moments that were instrumental in his and Storm's relationship with one another, or was there more to this than he could see? Princess Celestia had often been known for doing things in a riddle like manner, but this seemed to be going a bit far. Then again, considering what he knew of the princess, this wasn't actually as bad as he was making it out to be. Yet she had sent him into his memories on purpose, so was there a goal he had to reach to be released from his past?

How will I know when I've achieved what Celestia wanted though? Don't tell me I'm gonna be trapped in here if I don't figure it out!

PreviousChapters Next