• Published 5th May 2014
  • 4,462 Views, 550 Comments

Purple Guardian - DragonPony



Spike and Twilight return from the alternate world to only see that Spike has not changed back to a dragon. Spike must come to terms with his new form and fight to protect those that come to rely on him.

  • ...
18
 550
 4,462

Checkup Part 1

Chapter 2
Checkup Part 1
I wake up with the bright rays of the sun shining down on me through the window. “Thanks for the wake-up call Celestia,” I mutter out with a sarcastic groan. ‘I might as well get up and get this day started’ I say to myself as I go to hop out of bed, only to then fall flat on my face. It took me a moment to reboot my brain and remember the events from yesterday, I stood up on all fours and walk to the full length mirror and take a long hard look at myself. *Sigh* “I guess I better get used to looking like this for now on,” My eyes wander over my body taking in every inch, I take some comfort that I am at least not a puppy this time around. “You are one sexy hound dog Spike.” I say out loud causing myself to laugh. Looking at the clock on the wall I see it is around breakfast time so I figure I might as well go meet up with the girls.

As I walk down the halls many of the guards and noble ponies I past look at me with confusion, disgust, or a mixture of both. It is a shame that I can’t say this is a whole new experience for me. This seems to be an almost regular occurrence every time I wonder the halls of the castle alone, going all the way back to my younger days with Twilight. I do have to say though the few mares that thought I was cute and decided to pet me left me with a mixture of happiness and irritation for being treated like an animal. The petting though would always end the second I said a word and for one really cute mare when I ask her to scratch a little lower just to get a rise out of her.

As I walk into the dining hall I see all the girls and Celestia eating their meals. The first things that I notice were the bags and bloodshot eyes of both Twilight and Celestia. They both must have stayed up all night trying to find some way to fix the transformation. I made sure to put on a large smile so they didn’t feel guilty for not finding anything so far. “Hello ladies. How are you all doing this morning?” I say trying to sound as pleasant as possible.

“Oh, we are doing just fine. Thank you for asking Spike. How did you sleep? You must have been so tired after yesterday, if you don’t mind me asking that is…” Shy asked seeming like she is trying not to bring up the fact that I am now stuck as a dog.

“I slept just fine Shy. Thanks for asking. So after your done eating do you want to do this examination to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be?” I ask her while I walk up to an empty seat and take a place at the table. Once there I couldn’t help but think of how I couldn’t use any of the utensils like before, which made me wonder how do ponies live without hands.

“Oh most defiantly. I am looking forward to seeing how you changed and if there is any difference between you and a normal dog.” Shy says with a very cheerful tone. That was until she noticed me tilt my head and raise an eyebrow at what she just uttered which she then took notice of what she said. “O-Oh NO! I am not saying I am happy you are a dog now or anything! I am just saying that this is something that I have never seen before and I want to know all I can to try to help you get through this. I am so sorry. Please don’t be mad Spike.” Shy pleaded as she started to hide behind her mane and retreat into her seat. Really how could anyone ever stay mad at her when she acts like that?

“It’s fine Shy. I get what you were saying. If I was in your hooves I would have reacted the same way. I am just that much more special then I already was before.” I say with a cocky grin as I wiggle my eye brows to try to make the mare come out of her shell and laugh. In which I succeeded when she started to chuckle into her hoof. And as an added bonus, I was able to make every other mare at the table share her outburst of laughter as well. I was even able to get Celestia to crack a real grin, although to her credit she quickly went back into her regal ruler mode.

After everyone stopped laughing and wiped their mouths of the juice they spit out during their little fit Twilight decide to ask me a question. “Spike I was wondering would it be okay if I could also give you a magic examine as well once we finish with Fluttershy’s physical one. I want to make sure the trip back didn’t leave any other effects on you besides the clear one.” Twilight stated as she clearly was having problems keeping herself awake at the table.

“Sure Twi, I don’t have a problem with that. But only if you go get some rest while Shy gives me a once over. You won’t be of any use if you are too tired to do anything, besides do you really want to show everyone their new princess looking so run down so soon into the job?” I ask with a knowing grin on my face.

As if on queue she lifted up her spoon with her magic and noticed just how worn out she looked and quickly started to try to improve her appearance. “I-I think you are right Spike. I will try to catch a few winks so I can be rested to make sure I don’t miss anything during my evaluation of your new situation.” She says trying to make it sound nonchalant as she can but clearly blushing from embarrassment at her current appearance.

After breakfast Shy and I went out to the garden so she can give me my checkup. I figured the garden would be somewhere where Shy would feel the most comfortable which in turn will help her do an even better job. My guess seems to be right on the bit, the second we got away from all the servants, nobles, and guards in the castle Shy seemed to relax a great deal and we got started.

“Okay Spike, I am going to go over different parts of your body to make sure everything is okay. If you feel uncomfortable with anything don’t be afraid to tell me okay?” I give her a nod and she began to examine me. She looked at my eyes to make sure that everything was in order, my ears and my nose came next. Things started to get really interesting when she came to my teeth.

When she told me to open my mouth and say ‘aw’ I did it without any real though but when I notice her eyes become wide with wonder I become slightly worried. “Is everything okay in there? I didn’t grow like an extra paw on the roof of my mouth did I or something?” I asked (or tried to at least) with my mouth still open.

“Oh no it is nothing like that it is just, your teeth Spike. They seem to be the same as when you were a dragon. Your teeth are far harder and sharper than any normal dogs. I would like to test something if you don’t mind.” She asks while looking me over with a look that eerily resembles Twilight's when she finds a new field of study. I just give a shrug, curious as to where she was going with this myself.
Shy flies over to one of the suits of armor in the hallway and comes back with one of the steel swords that they are normally holding. She sticks it blade first in the ground so the handle is standing straight up. She gives my teeth one more once over before writing something down in her notes as she then looked at me.

“Okay Spike I want you to bite the blade of this sword. Try to do it slightly how you use to do it when you were a dragon.” She tells me with a serious expression on her face. I can only assume that she is very confident in her request or else she would never ask me to do something that could lead to me becoming injured.

I then take a deep breath as I walk over the sword. When I was a dragon chewing through something like this would be a piece of cake. But when I was in the human world I was a normal dog. So something like this would have lead me to cutting my face like the ‘The Jester’ from the Batmare comic series (my favorite villain by the way). I go down and bend over at the blade of the sword. I see my reflection shining in it, and I looked slightly terrified. I open my jaws and put the blade in my mouth. After taking a deep breath I bite down as hard as I can. To my happy shock the steel shatters like rock candy as I chew it up.

Shy couldn’t believe her eyes even though I figured she suspected this to happen (or at least I hope she did). She then tells me spit it out and reopen my mouth again. I do as instructed to only then have her thoroughly inspect my teeth. “Wow Spike, Not even a chip or anything. It seems that when you came back it gave you back your dragon’s teeth as well. This is really interesting. We will have to try to see what other traits were passed on to your new body.” Shy stated with a very inquisitive demeanor.

The next thing she wanted to investigate where my paws. From any other pony's perspective they would have seemed like any other dog’s paws. To an animal expert like Shy she was able to notice something about my paws, or should we say my claws, the second they were extended out. Like my teeth my claws were much harder and sharper then a normal dogs. She then told me to take my claws and run them across the now ruined blade. Similar to my bite I was able to leave very deep gashes on the shattered steel blade with very little effort.

After the shock from both my claws and teeth the rest of the examination went without much surprise. That was until she got to around my tail. She was checking the hairs and length of it that was until she lifted it up. I start to blush bright as she raised my tail. "H-Hey Shy? I think you are getting a little personal there.” I say with I slightly shaken voice. As I stand there I just keep telling myself this was a normal examination.

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with dog care so I didn’t know what a ‘normal’ examination entailed. “D-don’t worry Spike it will be over in a moment just try to stay still. Shy stammers out seeming like she is trying to keep me as relax as possible, for what I have no idea.

“O-okay? But what will be ov-WHA-WHAT THE FUCK!!!” I shout at the top of my lungs as I feel something slide inside my ass. To both our surprise, as I yelled at the top of my lungs a torrent of green flames shot from my mouth into the sky. This made Shy step back ether from the shock or out of fear. I would have turned around to try to comfort her, if it wasn’t for what I can now only assume is a thermometer shoved up my rear. “S-Shy I am sorry I scared you. I didn’t even know I could still do that anymore. B-but if you could do me a REALLY big favor and remove the tube out of my ASS that would be very much appreciated.” I pleaded with her as I stand perfectly still trying not to move an inch.

This seems to snap Fluttershy back to the realm of reality. She came rushing over and removed the thermometer out of my rear earning a much needed sigh of relief from me. “I am sorry Spike, it is just you took me by surprise when you produced flames like that. Hmm your temperature is around 100 degrees. That is far from normal for an average dog, but that seems like a normal theme with you.” Shy says in a slightly joking manner, I can only think she is doing that to try to make light of the fact she got to know me a little too personally.

“”Yea I noticed that myself,” I turn my head to face her and give her a small smile. “But you do know I am not an animal, right? I could have held the thermometer in my mouth. You didn’t have to treat me like the new guy in prison.” I say through a wider grin as I watch Shy comprehend what I was implying.

Fluttershy started to hide behind her mane once again as she explained why she had to toss my salad. “O-oh no that wouldn’t have worked as well. With your teeth as sharp as they are you would have cut right through it without any effort. Also because of your canine anatomy it is faster and easier to get a reading on your internal temperature from your… rear.” Fluttershy whispered out the last part as she couldn’t look at me at all.

I sigh accepting the fact what is done is done. But that doesn’t mean I can’t get to tease her one more time for good measure. “Okay Shy I trust you; you are the animal expert here. But you owe me dinner after this” I say while I flutter my eye lashes quickly giving her my best puppy dog eyes. Which I guess now would be just my regular eyes now.

Fluttershy cracks a grin at my corny joke as she nods and continues my checkup. She tells me we are almost done. That she just needs to take some of my blood to take to the clinic to get it worked over and checked for anything else that could be wrong. Fluttershy takes my leg and bends it at the elbow as she takes an alcohol whip and cleans the area. As she tries to take the needle and draw some blood we were given another surprise for when she tried to stick the needle into my skin the tip broke when she tried to apply pressure.

We both look at it other with a look of ‘here we go again’ written all over our faces. I crack my trademark grin and ask. “Let me guess, it seems that my skin is made of the same super tough material and texture my scales are made out of, Which will make drawing blood very difficult” I say in a treachery manner pretending to adjust a pair of glasses on my face.

“I believe you are right Spike. Since that seems to be the case we will have to do the blood work later once I can get a diamond needle to draw your blood.” Fluttershy says as she is packing up all her medical supplies and getting her notes together. “I have to say Spike, you are very interesting. It seems that the mirror sent you back as a dog with all of your traits, and the anatomy of a regular dog. However it seems to have also mixed in many aspects from your dragon body as well. From what I can see you seem to me a mix of a canine and a dragon. We will have to wait 'till Twilight wakes up and does her check-up on you to make sure everything is okay internally, but from what I can see you seem to be perfectly healthy.”

“Well that is great to hear I don’t have to worry about dropping dead at a moment’s notice. I wonder if I will be able to still eat gems like I use to, I have this aged ruby I’ve been saving and I’ve been dying to eat it,” I say as I lick my lips thinking about how sweet it must taste by now. “So Fluttershy, do you think you can go see if Twilight is up and ready to get this done. I think I will just stay here and get some rest, we have had more surprises today than when Pinkie made her ‘special cupcakes’ for that one party a few weeks ago.” I say thinking back to that crazy night. I will never have the same relationship with our toaster again.

“Oh sure that won’t be a problem at all, I want to take her these notes as soon as possible anyway,” Fluttershy says while she slowly trots towards the door leading back into the castle. “Try to get some rest Spike; I am sure Twilight will be down after she looks over my notes.” She says as she disappears behind the door. I lay down in the grass resting my head on my forelegs and just think of all the new information that I just found out about myself. I take a small breath and shot out a small sliver of green fire into the air. I grin and say to myself. “Well at least I still have some of my old tricks. Have to be careful not to set myself on fire though.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys, I just want to give a big thanks for getting this story to 300+ views. I never thought so many people would enjoy my story. So I figured I would celebrate by releasing the next chapter and art a day early. I want to keep making content you all can enjoy. I hope this chapter gave you some laughs along the. And be kind I am working on my grammar as I am writing so it is still far from perfect.
Have to give a shout-out to Killeroreo and panzerbrony for editing my work. Keep being great guys.