• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 1,218 Views, 32 Comments

The Tale of Sentry - JusSonic



When two future friends' meet, Flash Sentry's tale with Ben Mare as well as his trek to be a Royal Guard begins.

  • ...
33
 32
 1,218

Chapter 1: When Friends Meet

Chapter 1: When Friends Meet

"And then, you got to strike while your enemy is distracted." Flash Sentry said, showing some defensive moods to Nyx and her friends, they all look amazed. "I hope you all remember that when the time comes."

"Awesome," Scootaloo exclaims in amazement. "Who knew you would learn so many cool things?"

"Right," Sweetie giggles a bit. "It's like you were learning commando since foal birth."

"Well, not foal birth, Sweetie. Just when I was a bit younger," Flash remark to Sweetie with a light chuckle. "I did have some fun with my buddy Ben every now and again."

"And how." A familiar voice commented. The group saw Ben, Spike and the Mane Six arriving. The Earth pony, the one who spoke, smirks while saying, "Teaching Nyx and her friends some defensive moves?"

"Well, in the future, they may need them."

"Oh, I hope you learned how to be fashionable in the future." Rarity said, shaking her head while brushing Sweetie's mane. "Your mane is a mess, an awful mess, Sweetie."

"Awww, Rarity!" Sweetie whines a bit while pushing Rarity away. "Come on..."

"So yew fillies learned a lot?" Applejack asks her sister and her friends in amusement.

"Yep; An' Ah heard 'dat Fluttershy is a member o' Rarity's Pony Tones group." Apple Bloom remarked, giving a smile to the shy Fluttershy.

"Oh, well...I am not a member per say...just taking baby steps...or in this case, foal steps." Fluttershy said meekly.

"So still training from Chase, Ben?" Flash ask Ben curiously.

"Yeah; Geez, why are you so suspicious of him?" Ben asks Flash in concern, "Being overprotective?"

"Nope, of course not; it's just, something's off about him. And you know one of the rules when training to be a Royal Guard."

"Always expect the unexpected. Yeah, I know."

"Too bad those flank heads didn't learn it all the time when Nightmare Moon, Lorcan or the Changelings came calling." Phobos joke a bit. Of course, the others just frowns at him. "What? Sorry, it's true."

"Don't do that again." Twilight sighs a bit. She changes the subject. "So you taught Ben a thing or two?"

"Yeah, back when he's still a shy little pony," Flash chuckles, making Ben a bit embarrassed. "Oh, I meant that in a nice way."

"Yeah, say, how did you and daddy first met, Uncle Flash?" Nyx ask Flash curiously.

"Well, that is one interesting story."

"Oooh, oooh, hang on!" Pinkie exclaims, getting some popcorn and snacks from...who knows where, "Okie dokie lokie! Go ahead."

Flash see that most of the ponies (Scootaloo and Rainbow looks a bit bored for some reason) wants to hear the story. The Pegasus pony turns to Ben, asking, "Ben? You think it's okay?"

"Go ahead. They already know my story of my life with Twilight. Time for them to hear about my life with you," Ben said to Flash with a grin.

"Very well, then. It all started years ago when we were colts...I got separated from my dad who was a member of the Royal Guard to get my apple back..."

--------------

In the library, Ben sighed as he listened to his teacher who taught him the meaning of 'Royalty' as 'Prince' and 'Responsibility'. This whole thing is really boring.

Ben groaned in bore as he had some thoughts, 'I don't mind studying.....but this is getting ridiculous........'

Suddenly, some fighting noise is heard from outside. Ben quickly opened the window . He spotted his cousin, Blueblood laughing cruelly and selfishly, levitating an orange coated Pegasus with a blue spiky mane and tail whose shook his body off hard.

The colt whose is, unknown to Ben at this time, known as Flash snaps, "Get the heck off me, pal! Or you're so gonna be sorry for it!"

Blueblood chuckled, "What're you going to do? Attack me? Please, peasant. You are obliged to obey my command. And show some respect to me."

Blueblood, through his horn, magically levitated Flash close to him. The spoiled prince glared at the orange Pegasus. Flash sticks his tongue at Blueblood who groaned and glared at young colt. The Pegasus pony punched on his bully's muzzle, causing him to scream in pain, thus, allowing Flash to be freed. The young colt quickly starts running away from Blueblood.

Blueblood angrily calls out to the Royal Guards, "Guards! Get that runt!"

5 Royal Guards sighed and groaned in annoyance as they followed Blueblood, in chasing Flash across the Canterlot Castle's garden.

"What the," Ben gasp in worry and alarm. His rude cousin is trying to torment that poor Pegasus colt whose didn't even do anything to him!

The teacher, noting that the student isn't paying attention, spoke to Ben sternly, "Your highness! Please pay attention! Besides, you are the heir of Princess Celestia, it is your -!"

"Sorry! Gotta go!"

"Your highness!"

Ben stomped off quickly with haste. Ben's teacher groaned. Why his princess even took him in to begin with is beyond him. Celestia so far has trouble keeping her foals...

---------------

On the side of Flash, the Pegasus colt continued to run off as fast as he can. Prince Blueblood and his Royal Guards chased after Flash as quickly as they can. The Pegasus colt smirked as he quickly took a stone and threw it at the 5 tops of barrels in horizontal lines. The barrels rolled down right at Prince Blueblood who quickly dodged down. The barrels knocked 2 Royal Guards down.

Flash continued to ran as quickly as he can. The colt took a basket of fruits and threw it down right at Prince Blueblood and his 3 Royal Guards. The spoiled jerk panicked as he moved to his left while his Royal Guards have their legs tripped and rolled by the apples, oranges, grapes and more. Flash chuckled before he headed off.

Blueblood groaned, "I'd swear! I'm gonna rip that brat off!"

Blueblood continued charging and chasing Flash, all the way in long road. The colt turned to his left to escape. For a few meters, Flash quickly stopped in front of him as he found himself at a dead end. Not good.

"Oh great," Flash exclaims with a groan. He is in big trouble now.

"There you are!" Blueblood exclaims as he appears behind his target. Flash gasped as he turned to the front with his great concern and fears. "I'm going to-!"

Suddenly the back of Blueblood's head was hit by something sticky, wet and slimy-like. The unicorn touched his mane slowly and gently. He put his hoof in front of him and gasped in seeing his hoof is covered by something filthy.

Blueblood screamed like a girl, "My Mane; My beautiful mane!"

Blueblood cried and sobbed in sadness as he quickly turned and escaped at once. Flash sighed in relief, saved by whoever it was. The colt headed off to the front as he looked around before Flash moved out.

"Hey, are you alright?" A colt, AKA Ben, ask as he appears to Flash.

"Yeah...... Thanks, was that you?" Flash ask Ben curiously. He must be the one since the other colt is the only one around.

"Well....... um...... yeah, that would be me......."

"Dude, I could have taken him down by myself."

Ben looked down and sighed, "Sorry." The colt feels bad for getting in the way like that.

Flash chuckled as he patted on Ben's back hard, "But having a pal like you to watch my back is so my reward." The adopted son of Celestia looks at the Pegasus colt hopefully. He has never had a friend before. Normally, all Ben got to hang with is his mother, his cousin Cadance and the castle guards, as well as the staff.

"Pal; You mean...... I'm a friend?"

"Of course! I don't know who else could help me to teach that stupid prince. I can't believe that my dad is working for that spoiled pony. That is stupid."

Ben nodded while agreeing, "You said it."

"So, what's your name, buddy?" Flash ask Ben curiously.

"My name; Well.... um...... My name......." Ben said, looking down, feeling a bit shy. He spoke softly, "is Ben Mare."

"Sorry? Can you repeat that name?" Flash ask Ben puzzled, not hearing the name at first.

"It's Ben Mare." Ben spoke more softly. He is getting more shyer by the moment, just like a certain mare we know in the present.

Flash looked awkward, asking, "Are you shy or something?" Ben looked down. "Wow, easy, kid. I didn't mean to offend you that much; just asking you. Maybe, I'll go easy on you. The name's Flash; Flash Sentry; Yours?"

Flash put his hoof up and in front of Ben who looked worry. The Pegasus colt, sensing that the new pony looks scared, assures him, "It’s okay. I'm not gonna bite you or something."

Ben took his hoof up and placed his on Flash's. They both shook their hooves. Ben looked surprise and shocked as he felt his heart pounding as if getting a friend for a real. Ben shook his head.

Ben finally spoke more clearly, "My name is Ben Mare."

"Mare; isn't that a female pony?" Flash ask Ben in surprise by the last name.

Ben blushed in embarrassment, explaining, "Well........ Um........" The truth be told, his real last name is actually Maregillian but since his mother Celestia couldn't finish up the adoption certificate in time, it came out as 'Mare'.

Flash chuckled as he departed his hoof from Ben, "Wow, easy. Besides, I have some friends' names whose is lot funnier than yours."

"Really? Who?"

"Bluewimpy Brat." Flash jokes a bit. Ben looked surprised. The stallion waved his hoof at him to come near Flash. Ben placed his ears to the colt for him to speak. "Bluewimpy Brat is Blueblood's real name."

Upon hearing that, both Flash and Ben laughed together happily and in enjoyment together.

Ben calm down, remarking, "Man! That's the good one! Wow, I'd never thought I actually laugh with my friend."

Flash stopped his laugh, looking surprised upon hearing that. He asks, "You'd never had a friend before? Why?"

Ben gulped, "Aw man!" How will he explains the real why to Flashl because the colt lived his life in the castle, barely coming out?

Before the conversion would continue, a voice yells out, "Flash Sentry! Where are you?!" The colt yelps, knowing what is yelling for him.

"Aw man! It's my dad! I'd better get going." The colt groans, knowing his dad would want to see him. Flash shook Ben's hoof. "It's nice in meeting you. I'll see you again, buddy."

Ben grinned while saying, "Yeah...... I'll see you soon, somehow......."

"You know...... we could be best pals."

"What; Really?"

"Yeah. Since you'd never had a best friend in your lifetime, and of course saving my flank, I, Flash Sentry, had dedicated my life to serve Ben as his best friends and best knight eternally." Flash said, saluting Ben, making the other colt smile happily. He had never has a best friend before and now...

"Wow, easy. I'm not like royal king or something." Ben remarks with a chuckle. He may be Celestia's adopted son but that doesn't make him truly royalty...is it?

Flash rolled his eyes while speaking, "Maybe to you. But to me, you are. After all, not every royal can be nice and gentle as Princess Celestia, unless someone is willing to do it; someone liked you."

Ben thought for the moment then speaks once more, "Yeah...... I guess you're right; thanks, Flash."

Flash saluted again, commentating, "Not a problem. See ya."

Flash trotted off quickly. Ben smiled gently while saying, "Wow....... My very first and own best friend...... Oh. This is so awesome......"

This could be a start of a brand new friendship.

-------------------

"So Daddy's first friend was you?" Nyx asked in surprise.

"Yep, you betcha," Ben remarked to Nyx with a slight chuckle. "Right, this was a while before I attended Twilight's school and met her for the first time ever."

"So did the princess and Flash's dad find out?" Rarity asks curiously.

"Well, mom was a bit disappointed by me leaving class earlier." Ben admits to Rarity sheepishly.

"And yes, dad did question me about going into the castle to get my apple back." Flash remarked in agreement.

"But of course, luckily, things went better after that." Ben adds in proudly.

"Bluewimpy Brat!" Sweetie giggled on hearing that one part Flash mentioned.

"Man, that's a good one." Scootaloo remarks with a chuckle.

"Right, I gotta remember that." Spike said with a laugh.

"So what happened after that?" Twilight ask Ben and Flash curiously.

"Well, mom found out about my little adventure..." Ben said as he got back to the story at hand.

--------------------

Celestia has found out that her son has left his studies, going out by himself. And of course, she was a bit disappointed.

Princess Celestia sighed, "Ben, how many times do I have to tell you not to go out all by yourself? You should have asked me. You had me worry."

"Sorry, mom. Besides, I was so bored....... I don't mind reading books." Ben said to his mother in concern. "But being responsible as the ruler, I don't think I can handle it."

Princess Celestia sighed, "I know, my son."

Ben smiles as he adds, "Oh yeah. I've made my first friend."

"Really; who was it?" Celestia ask her son in curiosity and amazement. So Ben has finally got a friend of his own. How nice!

"Flash Sentry," Ben said the new colt's name.

"Interesting; so what makes you think of him as a friend?" Celestia ask Ben, wanting to know what makes this Flash Sentry a new friend to her son.

"Well. Flash is a kinda hardcore Pegasus, not to mention that he doesn't like or respect a royalty like Prince Blueblood, which I had to agree with him with. But so far Flash is kinda a cool friend," Ben said to his mother with a smile, impressed with his new friend so far.

"Really," Celestia asked, arching an eyebrow at this.

"Yeah; when I was shy, Flash introduced himself to me first nicely. When I introduced mine, Flash didn't think my name as a joke or is funny, so he makes someone's name funnier than mine. Blueblood's real name is......" Ben pauses then wave his mother closer to him; Princess Celestia put her ears to Ben as he continues, "Bluewimpy Brat."

Celestia and Ben laughed together happily and in enjoyment. The Alicorn of the Sun calms down enough to speak, "That's a good one, Ben."

"I know. It's the best. And there's more. Flash Sentry said that he dedicated himself to serve me as his best friend and knight like I'm some kind of king." Ben said, making Celestia smile at that as if she knows something that her son doesn't.

"It seems Flash Sentry is having some kind of interest of being a Royal Guard." Celestia said thoughtfully. Anyone who speaks like that is Royal Guard material. "Did you tell him about yourself for being my son?"

Ben shakes his head, saying meekly, "No. I'm scared of how he reacts."

"I understand. One step at a time, indeed ," Celestia said, knowing that her son wishes not to reveal himself too soon.

"Yeah; I hoped I could meet him again." Ben said, hoping to meet Flash again. That is if his new friend didn't get into trouble first.

"Maybe; I also thought of someone to be there and help you through some shyness problem." Celestia said with a thoughtful look. "With his help, I'm sure you won't have a problem in making friends."

"Maybe...... But worth the shot." Ben said with a sigh. If anypony could help him with his shyness problem, it would be helpful.

-------------

Flash told his story to a darker orange Pegasus with a blue mane like lieutenant and a small beard and mustache and a short blue tail, his Cutie Mark is a white shield with a sun, and he's wearing Royal Guard's armor: Lieutenant Hardstone, Flash's father.

Once Flash is done, Hardstone glares at his son while asking, "So let me get this straight: you just go into the castle to get your apple back, cause some trouble with Prince Blueblood, and this Ben came in and save you?"

Flash nervously answers, "Yeah."

"You are a lot of trouble, young colt......" The stallion said sternly. Flash gulped. Hardstone chuckled. "Well done! I'd always wanted to do that to the spoiled prince brat!"

This brought a look of surprise on Flash's face. His father praised him for giving trouble to Blueblood?
"Really," Flash asks his father in amazement.

"Would I be the kind of father who would lie to his own son?" Hardstone ask Flash with a grin.

Hardstone and Flash chuckled together. The father continues speaking to his son, "So tell me, Flash. What do you think of Ben?"

"Well, he was kinda a shy pony. I can't blame him being shy to new strangers or someone." Flash admits to his father. "But Ben did save my guts in time; otherwise, I would have gotten myself beaten up."

Hardstone chuckled, "You know. There's old saying that shyness is the false appearance of a pony whose hides his true fangs beneath his skin as he feared to face his fears."

"Yeah. I kinda noticed that, dad. There's more. I also told Ben about Blueblood's nickname." Flash said to Hardstone with a devilish smile.

"Really; make me, my boy." Hardstone said to his boy curiously.

Flash smirks as he answers, "Bluewimpy Brat."

Hardstone and Flash laughed together. After calming down, the father comments, "That is funny!"

"I know.... But I also found out that Ben never had a friend before, he said I was the first pony friend that he ever had." Flash said, feeling a bit sad for his new friend. Looking determined, the colt adds, "So I pledge and dedicated myself to serve him as his best friend and best knight."

"Wow..... You would have made a best Royal Guard." Hardstone said impressed, "Always standing up for your friends, well done, Flash."

"Thanks dad. I can't wait to become one." Flash said eagerly, wanting so much to be a Royal Guard.

"Oh, you will, Flash. In fact, I decided to let you have your first mission." Hardstone said with a grin, having an idea.

"Really," Flash asks his father excitedly.

"Really," Hardstone assures his son. Flash smiles as he hugs his dad as if to say thank you.

"AWESOME! I can't wait to tell Ben about this. He and I are so BFF." Flash remark with a smile.

Hardstone chuckled, "I'm sure you will."

----------------

Celestia and her niece Cadance did a bit of talking, the mother said, "Your cousin Ben made a new friend."

"Really; that's nice." Cadance said to her aunt with a smile. "So what are your plans?"

"I was pondering whatever or not I should let Flash know about Ben's connection to me. I have kept it a secret ever since my son first came to live with us." Celestia explains, although some parts of her feels that she should tell the whole story.

"Well, you should! Ben shouldn't be ashamed of what his family is or be shy about it." Cadance said with a smile. "It's not every day that my little cousin gets new friends, right?"

"You're right. I got some thinking to do." Celestia giggles, nuzzling Cadance a bit. "Thanks for the advice."

"That's what I'm here for, auntie." Cadance said with a smile. Ever since Luna's banishment to the moon many years ago, Cadance manages to fill the void which was empty...though even the pink Alicorn may never replace Celestia's sister who has since became Nightmare Moon.

Cadance leaves the room, leaving the white princess to her thoughts. Yes, she should let Flash know about the secret...not the whole thing but at least a part of it for now...

"A bit for your thoughts, Celestia," A voice spoke up, startling the princess. Celestia turns to see an old pony, sitting on the table smirking.

"Tao," Celestia exclaimed, relieved to see her old friend, though annoyed by that surprise. "It's great to see you, though you know I don't like being startled like that."

"I do apologize, I cannot help it." Tao remarks with a chuckle. He looks out the window to see Ben getting an apple from a tree with Cadance's help. "How is your son Ben?"

"He's doing fine. My son has gotten a new friend." Celestia said to Tao with a smile. "I am planning on letting Flash in on our little secret."

"The adoption secret or the real secret," Tao ask Celestia, making her silent. "So you haven't told Benjamin yet; especially about his father?"

"He isn't ready yet. My son is still a colt. I am ready for him to grow up before I could tell him." Celestia explains to Tao seriously. "I can't tell him, it will make him more nervous to make new friends."

"Very well, Celestia; but be warned: you know what happened with Dragon Hope. I do not wish for what happened to him...happen to Ben." Tao assures Celestia.

The Alicorn hesitate, looking back through the window then turns to see that Tao has disappeared. he is always doing that.

"Believe me, I hope that won't happen." Celestia said to no pony in particular.

------------------

A while later, Hardstone come to the princess's throne room with his son Flash who wait outside; Celestia wish to speak with the two of them; Flash was worried that he's in trouble for getting into that fight with Blueblood yesterday.

"Lieutenant Hardstone. It's so good to see you here." Celestia said to Hardstone who bows to her along with Flash.

"Your highness; I came here as soon as possible." Hardstone said while standing in attention. He hopes that Flash isn't in too much trouble.

"Good. Because General Steel inform me that you train your colt to be the best and good at both battles and strategies; this colt also desires to become the best Royal Guard like you? Am I right?"

"Yes."

"Good. Because I need someone like him to help me," Celestia said with a smile. Both Hardstone is surprised, yet relived. The colt isn't in trouble so it looks like he could be in the Royal Guard after all.

"Anything for you, your highness; we are the shields that protect you from anything." Hardstone said with a nod.

"Good. But you must also pledge that no one and not even the citizens of Canterlot must know of my secret that I tell you about."

"I'd swear."

"Good. Bring your son in." Celestia requests to Hardstone with a nod.

Hardstone came over to the doors and motions his son to come in. Flash follows his father then salutes while saying, "Flash Sentry, reporting for duty, your highness!:

Celestia gasped before she smiled, "Greeting, Flash Sentry. Now for the secret I must reveal to you, and you must promise me not to tell anyone about it."

Hardstone and Flash exclaims while standing in attention, "Yes ma'am!"

"You can come out, son." Celestia said with a grin. Ben comes out from behind a curtain. Both Hardstone and Flash gasped upon seeing him. "I believe your son knows my son well."

"You had a son?!" Hardstone ask Celestia in shock and disbelief. He recall stories of the princess having a daughter but she died many years ago. The Pegasus didn't think that his princess got another foal now!

"Princess Celestia is your mother?!" Flash ask Ben in surprise.

Ben gulped, "Eeyup...... Sorry......" The colt looks worried, fearing that his new friend would be upset for keeping this a secret from him. What now?

"That....... is.......AWESOME!"

"Flash," Hardstone exclaims, surprised that Flash would say that to the heir of Celestia.

Celestia giggled, "It's okay. Let the boys talk." After all, Flash is excited upon hearing that his new friend is of royalty, even adopted...or is it?

Ben and Flash approached each other. The Earth Pony in hope asks, "You're not mad at me?"

"Mad at you? Are you kidding?! This is the best day of my life. A friend I met from the alley is actually a prince! Wow! Who would have thought of that," Flash asks eagerly and in amazement. "When I said I dedicated myself as to be your knight and best friend, I really mean it. But I'd never thought that you actually are a prince."

"Yeah."

"So why didn't you tell me? Wait! Don't say it. I know this: you're too shy."

"Eeyup; so, you promise not to tell anyone about it?" Ben asks Flash, reminding him of his word to Ben's mother.

"And break my opportunity to become a Royal Guard, and my promise to be there for you? No way! I will never break that promise." Flash assures Ben, slapping him on the back with a chuckle.

"Wow...... You really mean it?"

"Now why would I lie to you when we just became friends?"

Ben smiled, saying, "I guess you're not lying." A true TRUE friend would never lie like that!

Celestia and Hardstone came over, seeing how the two friends are doing. The princess, smiling, ask, "So, Flash, do you swear it?"

"Yes, your highness." Flash said to Celestia with a smile of determination. He wants to keep his word to help Ben no matter what. The princess smiles, happy to hear that.

"Good. Help and guide my son to be confident and lessen his shyness, so one day, he can go out and see Equestria."

"For Equestria! And for Ben! I won't let you both down, and neither to my best friend."

Ben smiled, saying, "Thanks Flash."

"That's what best friends do, pal. I'm always be there for you." Flash said, nudging Ben on the shoulder.

Celestia smile and chuckles a bit. For the first time, Ben has a new best friend, his very first one.

-----------

"And so, that is how Flash and I became friends." Ben said with a smile as the others listen in.

"So what, that's it? Wow, shortest story ever." Pinkie said, sounding a bit disappointed.

"Oh, the story isn't over yet, Miss Pie." Flash said with a smirk. "You see, there's more to this story than that.."

"Really; Like what?" Nyx ask her adopted uncle curiously.

"Well, then, it involves what happen after that..."