• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 12,386 Views, 600 Comments

The 7th Element - thunderhawk7865



A young high school musician is transported to Equestria by Celestia. RD x OC

  • ...
82
 600
 12,386

The Birth of a Blazing Dawn

Chapter 34: The Birth of a Blazing Dawn

It was about 5 AM in Ponyville, and Luna's moon still shone brightly in the darkness of the sky. Most of the lights in the rural town were off and the town was dark, save for that of the ever busy hospital. Twilight Sparkle, with an unruly bed-head mane, burst through the doors to the second floor hallway of the hospital, followed by Applejack without her hat, Rarity with curls in her mane, Pinkie Pie bouncing as always, and Fluttershy, who looked scared and nervous as she looked around.

"Wait!" A nurse Pony shouted, galloping through the doors after them, "You aren't allowed up here without proper authorization!"

"We don't need nah' stinkin' authorization, ma'am!" AJ shouted back, "Our buckin' friend is giving birth!"

Weaving in and out of doctors and nurses in the hallway, the five friends galloped to the room the nurse behind them had indicated before the went off, running up the stairs.

Lunar Eclipse, the alicorn known as the Prince of Darkness, was standing tall and strong in front of the door to the room in which ear-shattering screaming could be heard.

Upon, hearing the screaming, the five friends and the nurse skidded to a halt and covered their ears. Lunar Eclipse remained stalwart, but even he flinched and his ear twitched when Dash's scream echoed through the hall.

"Shhh sh sh! Dash, look at me! Look at me, Dash!" Dan's voice was heard, "I'm here for you!"

"What in tarnation?" Applejack walked forward, but Lunar Eclipse held up a hoof and stopped her.

"That's far enough, Applejack." The alicorn muttered, "It's...well, it's not pretty in there, to say the least..."

"Meaning?" Twilight asked.

"Needless to say, the doctors here have no idea how to birth an alicorn; let alone know what to expect. An alicorn hasn't been born for a very long time." Lunar sighed, "Dr. Blaze is doing his be—"

"AAAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHH!" Rainbow screamed in pain again, causing everypony to flinch. Fluttershy winced and stepped forward towards the door a little, as if wanting to go in a be there for Rainbow Dash as well.

"Hey, you ponies!" The nurse who was chasing them called out as she finally caught up with them, an angry expression on her face, "I don't care if you know Ms. Dash, you aren't allowed—"

"Nurse." Lunar Eclipse said sternly, "With my royal permission, they are allowed up here. Period."

He stared her down, and the shuddering nurse slowly nodded, "My apologies, your highness." With that, the nurse turned and galloped back to the doors they had burst through.

"How long has the poor dear been here, Lunar?" Rarity asked, frowning, "When did they check in? How did it happen?"

Lunar sighed, "Even this is new for me..." He looked up at the clock on the wall, "Roughly five hours ago, I heard screaming from Rainbow's cloud. I teleported in, and found Dash screaming and Ace panicking." He sighed again, "Needless to say I put two and two to—"

He was cut off by another scream and Dan shouting words of comfort again before he recovered and said, "Together." He nodded curtly.

"Can..." Twilight asked, "Can we go in?"

"No, I'm afraid..." Lunar said, "Before going into labor, Rainbow Dash said that nopony except Dan could be in the room with her. She said, however, that you five could come up and wait out here." He smiled slightly, "So you didn't even need my permission, ultimately."

"So..." Fluttershy asserted herself, "We wait? That's all we can do for Rainbow Dash?"

"That's all we can do fer now, partner." Applejack took a seat in a chair outside the room.


An hour of screaming and heavy breathing exercises later found Rainbow Dash on the verge of "splitting open", as she kept screaming whenever a retraction occurred.

Dan was seated in a chair next to her bed, grasping her hoof with both of his hooves, eyes locked on her and never looking away; not even for split second.

After another painful retraction, Dash's breathing returned to what could be considered normal for a mare in labor, she turned and looked at Dan, squeezing his hooves tighter than ever before.

"A-Ace..." She winced as more pain shot through her, "Ace, I-I'm not g-gonna make it! AAARGH!"

Dan stood up on his hind legs and stroked her mane while still holding onto her hoof, "Shhh shshsh... Dash, these things happen every day here. Dr. Blaze knows what he's doing."

"That I do, Miss Dash." The faithful pony doctor said from the edge of the bed, where he was managing Dash's labor, "You have absolutely nothing to worry about!"

"Really?" Dash looked over at the doctor.

The doctor hesitated before saying, "Yes, I promise. Now, let's deliver a baby, shall we? Back to breathing, remember? In, out. In, out."

Dash did as instructed for about a minute before turning to Dan and noticing that, for the first time, his head was not turned towards her. He was unwaveringly staring at the floor.

"D-Dan?" She winced through more pain. "Dan, a-are you o-okay?"

"Dashie..." He looked at her, his eyes glowing and a smile on his face, "We're gonna be..." He chuckled as a tear fell out of his eye, slipping down his face before he looked up and smiled, "We're gonna by parents..."

Dash smiled as he got even more emotional, "I just...I didn't think having a kid would feel so..." He shook his head in disbelief, "Would feel so good. Rewarding, you know?"

"You think you're surprised?" Dash smirked before inhaling and exhaling as the doctor instructed, "When we first met, would you or anypony ever think me good enough to be mommy material?"

They both chuckled and shared one last moment of conversation before Dash's eyes widened in pain and she screaming as her body writhed from another contraction. This one bigger than the rest.

"Uh oh!" Dan grasped her hooves again, "Dashie! It's gonna be alright! I love you! We'll get through this!"

"Oh, boy!" The doctor cried out from the edge of the bed. "He's coming! The alicorn's coming!

The heart-beat monitor beat faster and faster as she writhed in pain again and again.

"DAAAAAN!" She closed her eyes tightly and started screaming louder if possible, "IT'S KILLING ME!"

"Dashie, you can do this!" Tears were streaming out of Dan's eyes at this point. He couldn't bear to see her in such pain, "Dashie! I'm here!"

She couldn't hear him over her screams of pain. Dan grasped her hoof even harder and, leaned forward, tears flying off his face, he screamed back at her:

"DASHIE! I LOVE YOU! AND YOU CAN DO THIS!"


From outside in the hallway, many of the doctors and nurses had gathered around the door to listen. The five friends sat still as well. They were emotionally moved upon hearing their friend in such pain. Rarity started crying and buried her face in a nearby doctor's coat, who looked around awkwardly. Fluttershy, surprisingly, was the most stable one there, standing tall and leaning towards the door, as if ready to spring into action at any moment.

Just when the screaming became worse, and they heard the doctor say the foal was coming, everypony held their breath. They heard the heart-rate monitor going nuts, and finally, Dan screamed:

"DASHIE! I LOVE YOU! AND YOU CAN DO THIS!"

Then silence. No more screaming. No more Dan giving words of confidence. Only the sound of the heart-rate monitor returning to normal.

Then, the sound of a foal...

Crying.

Everypony out in the hallway exchanged glances of joy and shock with Lunar Eclipse, who, for the first time in a long while, had a small smile on his face.

"Out of the way!" Fluttershy said suddenly, pushing past the alicorn, who readily let her aside, and yanking open the door.

What the five friend beheld upon entering the room was enchanting.

The sun barely peaking over the mountains out of the window and shining it's bright hue over the scene. Dan was standing on his hind legs, still gripping Dash's hoof, and Dash lay in bed, panting heavily, staring at the doctor.

Or rather, what was in Blaze's hooves.

A small baby colt was curled up in the doctor's hooves, crying. It was a shade of darker blue than it's parents and had a pale blonde short baby mane and tail. It had a horn on it's head, but it stretched and it's wings became visible as well.

A new alicorn had been born into Equestria.

"Here you go, Rainbow..." Dr. Carousel said, walking over and gently placing the tiny foal in Rainbow's arms. The foal stopped crying all at once and nuzzled his mom's chest.

Rainbow slowly looked up at Dan, who had the biggest smile she's ever seen him make. Tears streaming down both parents faces, they embraced in a way that the baby was included, but gently.

The scene brought everypony who came through the door to tears or to the verge thereof. Twilight, ever the learner, was fascinated by the whole ordeal. Rarity was still crying into the doctor's coat, but tears of joy. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were quiet, smiles on their faces as they gazed at the baby.

Lunar Eclipse, however, was overjoyed. He had just witnessed the birth of another alicorn. A member of his species. He sighed and shook his head, emotion clogging up his throat. "Perhaps there's hope after all..." He thought.

The child rolled over and hunkered down into his mother's hooves, falling asleep instantly. Dan smiled. "Now, comes the important part, Dash. A na-"

"Blazing Dawn."

Dan stopped abruptly and looked over at Dash, who was stroking the colt's cheek. Dan was in awe. "Wow...that's...that's great, Dash."

"Yeah..." She looked over at him and then used her head to gesture outside. "Blazing Dawn."

Dan wiped away another tear before chuckling and saying, "He couldn't have asked for a better name..."

Everypony stood in silence for a few moments more, in awe at the alicorn child, or there for support. Blazing Dawn started making cute little noises and flailing his hooves in his sleep.

"He's dreaming Ace." Rainbow Dash chuckled and looked over at Dan.

Dan smiled. "Heh...he is... He's awfully feisty, like I was when I was born."

"Me, too." Rainbow said, sighing and chuckling again. "I wonder what he's dreaming about."

Dan stood suddenly and walked over to the window, gazing out at the sunrise. Everypony looked at him, and then he cleared his throat and began to sing a slow, soft lullaby song he knew from Earth:

With life just begun...

My sleeping new-born son...

He turned, with tears in his eyes, and looked at the baby.

Has eyes that roll back in his head...

They flutter and dart...

He slows down his heart...

And pictures a world past his head.

Dash smiled and held up the baby to his Dad. Dan took Blazing Dawn in his arms and chuckled as he tossed and turned in his sleep.

It's hard to believe...

As I watch you breathe...

Your mind drifts and weaves.

He walked back to the window and, rocking Blazing Dawn back and forth in his arms, continued singing gently to his son.

When you dream...

What do you dream about?

When you dream...

What do you dream about?

Dan gasped as his baby opened his eyes and gazed up at his Dad, and smiled a little. Dan sniffed and smiled back. The baby had Dan's piercing golden eyes as well.

Do you dream about music?

Or mathematics?

Or planets too far for the eye?

Do you dream about Celestia?

Or quantum mechanics?

Or Pegasai who sing lullabies?

Dan chuckled at that last one, and so did quite a few others, including Lunar Eclipse. Blazing Dawn fell back asleep in his hooves. He nuzzled Dan's chest and Dan's heart swelled with joy. He had never felt happiness like this before in his life, except when he met Rainbow Dash.

He turned, and gave the baby back to Rainbow Dash, who wiped away tears from Dan's lullaby. "Well, if he's anything like his father, he's probably dreaming about music."

Dan laughed slightly. "Haha...oh Dashie..." He put a hoof over the mare's shoulder. "We did good, Dashie..."

"We sure did..." She leaned her head on his chest as they gazed at Blazing Dawn, the first alicorn to be born in a very long time.


OC:

Dr. Blaze Carousel (c) Le Critical Writer

Song: When You Dream, Barenaked Ladies