• Published 2nd May 2014
  • 15,409 Views, 387 Comments

Applebloom Is Pregnant - Nesfex



Applebloom found out she is going to be a mommy.

  • ...
37
 387
 15,409

Chapter 8: The Truth

The silence within the Golden Oak Library was broken as Twilight lead her newly redefined family into it. The library was intended to host only one librarian, but it had enough rooms to host her little family. With a little rearranging, and a run to the store, Applebloom would have a room to call her own.

"Say, you guys hungry? I can make something good for you," Said Twilight with a soft voice, trying to make her guest more comfortable.

Applebloom didn't raise her eyes to look at her, still leaning against Spike as if she might faint. "No, thanks Twilight. I just want to lay down for now."

"It's okay, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask me."

"Come on, Bloom. You can stay in my room tonight," Spike said leading taking Applebloom to the stairs.

"Wait, I don't think you two should-" Twilight said. Spike looked back to her friend and raised an eyebrow . "Oh... I guess, there's nothing wrong with it now. You two rest, and if you need me I'll be right here."

When they stepped into Spike’s room, it was as much as Applebloom expected it to be. A few comics lying around the floor, posters of gems and music ponies like Sapphire Shores and The Pony Tones. A writing desk with notes written and others curled into balls probably being scrapped from a project but mostly filled with empty cider cans. A window with white curtains on the wall right in front of the door, and a big bed resting below it. In days before she begged to see his room, sadly, today she didn’t care what was in it and paid very little attention to it.

“You can lay on my bed. I changed the sheets this morning,” Spiked said.

Applebloom shambled over to the bed immediately, and fell upon it. Her eyes focused on the wall but in her mind she was looking at her memories of earlier that day. She had been preventing herself to cry for Spike and Twilight not to feel sad too, but in that moment she couldn’t control herself any longer. Tears began to roll across her face and the cold shiver of her sadness ran through her whole body.

Spike didn’t know what to do, or if he should do anything at all. Sitting on the side of the bed, he brushed his claws through his beloved’s mane. He found it odd that Applebloom’s eyes cried a river, but there was no sobbing or moaning. She was crying for sure, only this time was different.

“That didn’t go as I expected,” She said and forced a smile as if she said a joke. “I kinda wanted to have something like you and Twilight.”

“Yeah, so did I.”

“You know what hurts me?”

There was no answer, not even a word that appeared on Spike’s mind after hearing that question, so he remained silent while Applebloom answer for him

“The fact that I had to stand against my own sister,” She finally answered he own question

“What?”

Applebloom put her hooves around her stomach and curled herself “I knew it would take some time for my sister to accept it... Today I felt fear, I feared about my baby. I really thought she would do something… I can’t… Why?” She finally broke in a storm of emotion raging inside of her.

Spike put his arm beneath her head, letting her use it as a pillow. Slowly easing onto the mattress, he laid next to her, and put his other arm around her to hold her close “There, there. She was probably just scared, you know how impulsive some ponies can be.”

Applebloom placed her head between Spike’s shoulder and head and cuddle him while he continued

“This is hard to everypony, and especially to your sister, we just need to give her time. After all, you are her BABY sister.” Spiked put his fingers on Applebloom’s chin and waved them around as he does with babies, tickling her chin. “Cushie cushie coo!”

“No, stop it,” She said, trying to move Spike’s hand away.

Spike snickered, ignoring Applebloom’s protests. “Who is a little baby? Who is a pretty baby? Yes, you are.”

Little by little Applebloom’s gloomy face broke until she couldn’t control herself, and began giggling and laughing at the silliness. “Okay, okay, I give up!” She said.

Seeing her finally smiling he stopped to take a look at her. “You know, Bloom. I always love the way you laugh,” He said.

“And I love you,” She responded.

They remained silent and looking into each other’s eyes. Time together alone had been a rare thing over the last few weeks. Spike leaned towards her slowly as he closed his eyes, Applebloom did the same and prepared her lips for a kiss.

The creek of the door opening froze them just as their lips touched.

“You sure you don’t want some cider or some…” Twilight asked, a big grin on her face that faded to a embarrassed wince when she saw the two of them together on the bed.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t know you…” Twilight jerked the door back. “I’m sorry-” The door rattled as she hit herself with it, not completely getting herself out of the way as she tried to close it. “sorry!”

The door finally closed, Twilight’s hooves could be heard clattering down the stairs.

“Well, that killed the mood,” Applebloom said. She broke the hug and stretched, letting her right hoof fall into the space between the bed and the wall. Something brushed her hoof near the floor, it very soft. She moved and pulled the little piece of fluff up to see what it was; revealing a well hidden Ursa Minor Bear “And who is this?”

“Mr. Fluffles!” Spiked said surprised.

A smirk appeared on Applebloom’s face at the answer.

“I mean, that is my old bear toy from when I was a baby dragon. I forgot I still had him.”

“Oh, so MR. FLUFFLES just happened to be lying around your NEW bedroom?”

Spike fidgeted a bit, looking anywhere but to the bear or Applebloom. “Yeah, you know, when you move you sometimes take things you don’t even use anymore,”

“And it somehow got stuck between your bed and your wall?”

“Yeah... How strange, isn’t it?”

Applebloom stared into Spike’s eyes judging him. Sending the dragon into a sweat. “Okay! I admit it! Is mine, don’t look me weird because I still have my toy from when I was a baby.”

Applebloom laughed and roll on the bed “Oh Spike, it’s okay. I don’t care if you do. You know? Big Mac has a rag doll, although this one is cuter,” she said hugging the doll and snuggled it like a baby

“You know, I don’t play with him anymore… If you want, you can keep him,” Said Spike.

“Really?”

“Sure.”

“Oh thank you. I’m gonna hug him, and squeeze him, and name him George.”

“Please, just keep calling him Mr. Fluffles.”

Applebloom giggled and gave Spike’s cheek a small kis. “I’m just kidding,” she said moving towards Spike, and let herself be wrapped in his arms “Thank you for being so nice with me.”

“Always a pleasure.”

---------------------------------

Morning came and the time to prepare for school arrived. Spike was lying on the bed asleep when a noise woke him up “Wha- What? What’s going on?” He asked lifting his head, and looking around.

“Sorry, did I wake you up? I was getting ready and accidentally pushed over those books. You can go back to sleep,” Applebloom apologized.

He gladly accepted his proposal and snuggled back into his blankets, but paused when a thought came to his head, ‘Wait, I can’t just sleep in a time like this. She needs me to be ready for whatever she needs me.’

“Nah, its okay. I was going to wake up anyway,” He stretched his arms and let out the biggest yawn Applebloom has ever seen.

Applebloom was ready for a school day. Her hair was ready, her bow placed in the same way as always. The only thing she needed was her notebooks, but she could ask her friends to lend her a couple of pages to take notes. She stepped in front of the door and stop “What if I don’t go to school today?” she asked

“Why do you say that?”

“I don’t feel like going. After all that happened with Applejack I just can’t concentrate.”

Spike finally got up from bed and approached his marefriend from behind, placing his arms around her “If you actually don’t feel good and you think is better for you to stay then you are welcome to stay with us. But I think it would be better for you to see your friends and have something to distract you from all that drama. Your choice,” He broke his hug and left the room ahead of her. She looked at him walking down the stairs leaving her alone.

Maybe I do need to distract myself from all of this,’ She thought and followed the dragon to the kitchen.

When she arrived to the kitchen there was Spike sitting on the table and Twilight cooking something on the oven, she arrived in the middle of a conversation. “... All I’m saying is that is good to see you up before 12 pm,” Said Twilight.

“‘Morning,” Applebloom greeted.

“Oh good morning, Applebloom. Ready for school?”

“Yeah,” Applebloom answered, Spike turned his head looking at the filly and smiled.

“Good, then sit down and eat while is hot.”

She obeyed Twilight and sat on the chair vacant on the side of Spike, there was a bowl with oatmeal right in front of him “Do you like oatmeal? We haven’t gone to the grocery store in a while,” Twilight apologized.

“It’s fine, you are the one who is cooking I shouldn’t complain about what you can give me.”

“Thank you Applebloom. Did you hear that, Spike?”

“It doesn’t hurt if you could serve gemstones every now and then,” Spike crossed his arms and huffed on his chair.

Applebloom looked at the clock on the wall and saw that school was going to start soon. She took the bowl and poured it’s content in her mouth similar as how Spike did on their date. With the bowl once empty she stood up and walked to the living room and towards the door “Sorry, I’ll be late. Thanks for the breakfast!”

Walking down the streets, Applebloom passed through the many ponies who had started their daily activities. She tried to keep her mind on going to school and try to have a day as normal as it could be. Lost in her own thoughts, she almost walked past the school.

I forgot it’s closer from Twilight’s house,’ she thought.

Instead of going in and sitting at her desk, she decided to stay in the front porch to wait for her friends. Little by little the rest of the students arrived to the school and took their place inside of the classroom. Thankfully the rest of the crusaders showed some time before the the classes started.

“Howdy!” Applebloom greeted cheerfully.

The two pony stayed mute for a moment before greeting back

“What’s wrong?” Applebloom asked.

“We… we…” Scootaloo stammered.

“We just don’t know what to say after the whole thing of yesterday,” Sweetie Belle took over.

Applebloom lowered her head and looked away “Oh… Yeah…”

Silence made its presence between the three friends until someone wanted to continue the conversation “Can I ask you something?” said Sweetie Belle, this time being a little more careful.

“Sure,” said Applebloom.

“How did it go after? Did Applejack yelled at you much when you got home?”

“I… I haven’t gone home yet. I stayed with Spike.”

The two friend exchanged a concern look when hearing this “Wait, did they kicked you out of your house?” Asked Scootaloo.

Applebloom’s eyes glistered as tears came out “Can we… Not talk about it?”

“S-sure,” Scootaloo said.

“Deal,” Sweetie Belle said.

The school bell rang calling them in for the classes to start “Come on girls! You don’t want to be late,” Cheerilee called from the window.

The school day went on uneventful, and as usual Applebloom was too distracted to pay attention at what her teacher said. Her mind could not escape the image of her sister’s rebuke. She just copied whatever was written on the board and focused her eyes on her mentor to hide her lack of concentration. Even during the lunch break she couldn’t focus on her friend's conversation.

The school bell rang again, snapping Applebloom out of her stupor to find class over. She had no idea what her teacher said in the whole day, nor did she care “You girls wanna come with me to the doctor? I have an appointment today,” Applebloom asked.

“Of course!” Said Scootaloo.

“You know it. Nice to see you in the land of the living again.” Sweetie Belle hugged her friend.

The trio trotted to Ponyville’s Hospital while having little talks in between. The topic of Scootaloo’s latest attempt to fly, transitioned to the new horror movie Sweetie Belle bought that she wanted them to watch. Applebloom remained mostly silent, only commenting occasionally to the conversation. Time flew as they approached their destination, and waiting outside of the hospital was a group of ponies ready to greet them.

“She’s here! She’s here!” Pinkie Pie said bouncing in place.

“We know Pinkie, we know.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

The waiting group of ponies trotted out to meet Applebloom greeting her with warm words and questions.

“What are you guys doing here?” Applebloom asked.

“Pinkie came to the house early in the morning and I told her about it. I hope you are not mad,” Twilight apologized.

“It’ okay, you just caught me offguard.”

Rarity stepped in with a her face showing her curiosity “So, how did this happened?”

Fluttershy gasped in surprised “You don’t know? Well, when two ponies… Or in this case a pony and a dragon, love each other very very much-”

“That’s not what I meant” Rarity pressing a hoof to her face.

“So, what is it? A boy? A girl? Twins?” Pinkie Pie was as enthusiastic as always.

“Is a girl, I’m sure of it,” Applebloom answered.

“Hump!” Spike opened his way through the wall of ponies to finally be a long side with his marefriend “Hey Bloom.”

The gathered friends giggles and made whispered coos at the couple as they leaned against each other. Whatever Spike wanted to say was forgotten, as both him and Applebloom blushed red as an apple.

“Hey cousins!” Pinkie Pie yelled and waved at the street where two ponies were approaching.

Everypony turned their attention to them only to realize that they were Applejack and Big Mac “Hello ladies,” Said the stallion.

“Howdy,” Applejack greeted in the smallest voice she had ever spoke, sounding a bit more like Fluttershy that herself.

They were all a bit surprised to see Applejack. The tension from the day before still hung in the air. “So… What brings you here?” Rainbow Dash asked, breaking the silence.

Applejack startled a bit “I… I don’t like any of this… But she is my sister.”

“Thank you.” Applebloom cracked a smile as a single tear came from her eye

“Okay then, shall we get in?” Spike invited them, and they march inside the hospital.

Different from the last time today the hospital was lively, there were ponies around that made the place feel like an actual hospital; not the scene for a horror story. Applebloom went to the front desk where Nurse Redheart was doing some paperwork

“Hello.” She greeted.

“Hello… Applebloom, was it?” The nurse raised her eyes to see the little filly in front of her

“Yup, I’m here for the check up.”

“Alright… Are these ponies with you?” Asked the nurse while pointing to the group of ponies.

“Yeah, can they come with me?”

“If they don’t mind being tight in a small room, sure. Wait right here, I’ll go check if Doctor Hoarse is available,” She stood up from her chair and walked to the aisle while carrying a clipboard on her mouth, meanwhile the ponies remained in the waiting room.

A couple of minutes passed and the nurse returned “You can come in, follow me.”

The large group marched the hospitals aisles until they arrived to the room, as the nurse said the room was very small. The ponies entered, Applebloom stood right beside the bed while the others tried to find a place to stay, once the other’s found somewhere they could fit, she jumped on the bed getting ready for the doctor. Suddenly the door opened letting a pony in.

“Hi everypony!” A stallion said followed by the nurse.

“Hi Doctor Hoarse!” Everypony greeted back in a unison involuntarily.

“I see you brought all your friends, good. Looks like you have many ponies to help you with your baby,” The doctor pulled the ultrasound machine behind Pinkie and Rarity and sat to the side of Applebloom like the last time “So, it came to my attention that the nurse forgot to ask a very important question, how long have you been pregnant?”

“It’s been a month and a week since the day before yesterday,” Answered the filly.

Applejack blinked “Wait a second, you’ve been pregnant for so long and-” A quick look at Big Mac stopped her from continuing. She just bit her lower lip and looked away.

“Okay, so let’s see hows the baby,” The doctor took the probe and put a little bit of gel on it.

Applejack jumped at the sight of the device. “Hold it right there, what is that?!”

“Is for the ultrasound, we can see inside of your…” The doctor looked to Applejack and Big Mac then at their cutie marks to make sure he wasn’t mistaken “Daughter and look at her baby.”

“What?! She is not my daughter. She is my sister!”

“My apologizes. Shall we continue?”

Applejack huffed and crossed her arms.

As the image slowly appeared on the screen, everypony gathered and look at the screen trying to identify what was on it “What’s that? Uh-uh! What’s that?” Asked Pinkie Pie.

“Is that a leg?” Fluttershy followed.

“I can tell what is what.” Rarity complained.

“I could tell you if you let me see,” The doctor said in a harsh tone.

The ponies returned to their place as the doctor moved the probe around Applebloom’s stomach. Finally a clear image appear, a circlelish object appear on the screen with a very small string attached to it, although it didn’t seem to attach to anything else

“So, here it is. Considering it’s age, it looks like it follows the same growth a regular pony foal. I’m quite surprised.”

Spike took a closer look to inspect the baby “Wait, what is that?”

“Is the umbilical cord, that’s how the baby gets its nutrition.”

Applebloom let another tear out when she saw the image “Hello again.”

“Okay, seems like nothings wrong. You have a healthy foal coming. Well, I gotta check on other patients, so if you excuse me;” The doctor left the room taking his clipboard, leaving the large group of ponies staring at the paused image on the monitor.

Suddenly, Applejack ran started to twitch and shake in her place. She ran through the door and left the hospital in a quick move

“Applejack?!” Said Applebloom.

Big Mac placed his hoof on her shoulder and tried to comfort his sister. “Don’t worry, little sis. I’ll go check on her. Congratulations, by the way, to you two.” He followed Applejack’s track in the hopes of catching up to her.

The rest of the group tried to make her forget about her sister running away; congratulating her and telling how much they will love the little one. however, her mind was set in to knowing what was going on.

Before leaving the hospital Nurse Redheart stood on the aisle preventing them from getting out. “Forgetting something?” She said, holding the hospital’s bill.

Everypony tried to reach their wallets, but they stopped when Spike spoke.

“Sorry, here it is,” The dragon left a small sapphire in the pony’s hoof and returned to his beloved.

Leaving the hospital, Rarity approached Spike to speak with him “Hey, how many of those things do you have?”

“The gems? I don’t know, enough to fill five or six buckets.”

Rarity couldn’t hide her enthusiasm, smiling as wide as she could. Thankfully after some breathing exercises she returned to her normal self

“First of all, I want to apologize from all those times you accompanied me to the gems field and I didn’t pay you back. Now, I want to propose something. I can pay you the exact market price in bits for each gem stone you bring to me, that way you don’t have to be carrying around those rocks and can pay for the exact price of… Whatever you want to buy. What do you say? Deal?”

Spike thought for a moment, he knew ponies don’t have an exact price rate for gems thus one gem can buy you something, but if they don’t give change he can have a loss.

“Rarity, you got yourself a deal,” He took the ponies hoof and shook it.

Applebloom was still thinking about her sister, she didn’t notice the deal Spike and Rarity were making, the nurturing Fluttershy was giving her, nor anything else in the room. She began to walk towards the street that lead to Sweet Apple Acres in the search of her sister.

“Bloom! Where are you going?” Spike asked.

“I gotta know what’s with my sister, I don’t want things to be like this.”

“Do you want me to go with you?”

“Nah, I’m fine. I want to deal this sister to sister”

“Okay, just be careful. I’ll be waiting for you back in the house.”

Applebloom gave Spike a small kiss in the lips and smile. Before running to her house in a fast trot, keeping her energy for the confrontation that might be coming. It didn’t take her long to spot the trees in the orchard and her clubhouse that had it’s door wrecked. A few more minutes of trotting lead her to her house as the sun began to set. She took a quick look at the barn only to spot the door halfway opened, she thought her sister might be there as one of the rules is: the barn door must be closed at all times. She took a peek inside and saw a sobbing pony laying on the hay packs. She walked slowly in order not to startle her.

“You always had a heavy step, did you know that? That’s why we could find you quickly when playing hide and seek,” Said Applejack while cleaning the tears on her face.

“I thought you cheated,” Applebloom giggled. Without any sign of anger in her voice, Applebloom decided to approached her sister. She saw how red her eyes were from all her crying “Sis, can you tell me why are you like this? Why are you angry with me?”

“I’m not angry with you. I’m angry at myself.”

Silence filled the air, not even Applejack’s sobbing could be heard. A cold breeze came from the outside giving chills in the pony's spine “You remember mom and dad?” Applejack asked.

It took a moment of thinking for Applebloom to answer “Kinda, I remember their faces and a few things. But...”

“I don’t blame you, you were just a little filly when they left,” More tears rolled on Applejack’s cheeks and fell on the hay and dirt inside of the barn “Mom used to take good care of you. She used to take you everywhere, read you stories every night. She even used to sing to you whenever you couldn’t sleep. I was never good with any of that…” Applejack stopped to clean her tears once again.

“... The day they left, mom told me something. She said: Big Mac is the stallion of the house while we are gone, but your sister is your responsibility, take good care of her. Two days after that, a pegasus in uniform came telling us that mom and dad were caught in the middle of a storm on their way to Applelooza. They were never coming back,” A few sobs came from Applejack as she tried to remain calm to keep with her story “You became my responsibility, you are my baby sister. I tried to take good care of you just like mom would have. I couldn’t do it obviously. I tried my hardest to make sure you had everything you needed… And… And now… I let you down… I let mom down… I couldn’t protect you!” Applejack broke and she let herself stumble upon the hay stacks. A storm of sadness came from the pony’s heart and manifested on her body.

Applebloom froze when she saw who she thought was the strongest pony in all of Equestria crumble before. She finally understood, all those times she was overprotective, all those moments she was never let her to be alone, all the moments she wasn’t let to help with heavy duties, were because of Applejack trying to protect. She felt a knot on her throat, the feeling of guilt filled her heart, if only she knew about this before she might have done thing differently. She saw her sister break in front of her, she who have done everything for her little sister. It was time for Applebloom to be the strong one.

Applebloom sat right by her, she put her hoof on Applejack’s mane and with a gentle move she cared her softly. She started to hum a lullaby, the only one she knew, a tender tune that slowly made the sobbing go away.

“That… That song,” Applejack said.

“I don’t know what’s it called, I don’t know where I heard it, I just had that tune on my head since I was very little. Somehow it helps me get a hold on myself when I’m sad.”

“Is one of the songs mom used to sing to you… My favorit.”

“Applejack, I know you don’t like any of this. But I want you to know that it was my decision. I knew what were the consequences, Spike didn’t force to anything. We are working together to make sure this baby’s born healthy and in a happy home. She needs a family, and it wouldn’t be one, for me, without you.”

Applejack raised her head, looking at her sister who had a big smile on her face “You ain’t mad at me?”

“Mad? You took care of me since I was a filly. I should be thanking you for everything you done”

The cold wind disappeared from the place, instead the warm feeling of the sisters hugging and showing their affection to each other. The light of the moon shone across the line and was caught in Applebloom’s eyes.

“It’s time for me to go,” Said the younger.

“You don’t have to go, we are good now… Aren’t we?”

“Of course, I just think that I gotta spend more time with Spike. He’s the father after all. I’ll be back in a few days. I love you, sis”

“I love you too.”

With all her questions answered, she left her house feeling something in her heart that she really missed: Peace.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks a million to Rocinante for all your help.
Guys, I'm enjoying writing this story. If the updates take a while, it's because I'm lacking a computer at the moment, and life has been more stressful than ever.

Thank you for reading this story, and to all those who stick around after such a long wait.

Next chapter is almost done!