• Published 2nd May 2014
  • 15,474 Views, 387 Comments

Applebloom Is Pregnant - Nesfex



Applebloom found out she is going to be a mommy.

  • ...
37
 387
 15,474

Chapter 4: Nice to meet you

The earth pony was sitting on a chair and leaning against the window to look out; the pegasus was lying on the floor staring at the sealing motionlessly. Just like her idol, waiting was something Scootaloo couldn’t do easily. If it wasn’t for Applebloom, she would’ve probably ran out of the place an hour ago when they started. Suddenly, the earth pony stood up, pushing the chair back and yelling as she ran to the door. “He’s back! He’s back!”

On the path going to the tree house, Spike carried an old rusty bucket. Sweetie Belle followed him closely on his right side. They stopped when they noticed a widdly-grinding Applebloom charging full speed at them. Said friend tackled, making him fall and drop the bucket. Gems flew through the air and landed on the field. “Yer back!!” Applebloom cheered.

“My back!” Moaned Spike.

Scootaloo had followed her friend slowly. She wasn’t as excited for their return as Applebloom was. “About time you showed up.”

“Sorry...” Sweetie Belle apologized. “But look at how many gems Spike collected!”

“That’s my dragon!” Applebloom said while resting her head between Spike’s shoulder and head. Ever since she told Spike about their baby, she felt closer to him and wanted to show her appreciation every time she could.

Scootaloo took a few of the gems that were scattered around the ground and inspected them carefully; closing her right eye and looking at the gem with her left as Rarity did sometimes. But in reality she didn’t even know what she was looking for. “This is perfect; now we can pay for the doctor!”

“Yer right! We should get going now.” Applebloom said while breaking the cuddle with Spike.

Spike stood up and cleaned the dirt from his body. Then, he thought about what he had just heard, and the idea of something going horribly wrong came into his mind. “What?! What doctor?! Are you okay?,” He asked.

“I’m okay; the doctor’s only for the baby.” She replied. The Spike’s face changed from one of concern to one of confusion. “Ah’ll tell ya on the way.” Applebloom finished. “Let’s go.”

Before going to the doctor, Spike took the bucket of jewels and placed it inside the treehouse. He was told to bring some of them, so he took a few of the green ones and hid them in the scales on his back. Due to the color of his scales, they were able to camouflage, making it perfect to carry them without anypony knowing. He used to do that with Twilight every time he wanted a snack.

The streets of Ponyville were full of ponies. Being the first day of the week, most of them had many things to do. Rose’s flower stand was almost empty; there were many ponies going from one stand to another looking for stuff they needed. There was a yelling crowd surrounding the mailmare, probably due to her redundant delivery mistakes. With all of this commotion going on, it was easy for the group of fillies and the dragon to go to the hospital without being spotted by anypony.

Upon entering the hospital, they noticed the whole place was very quiet. There was no one waiting in the waiting room. There weren’t any sounds, save from a fan on the ceiling and something else in the background. They couldn’t tell what it was. The only pony around was the nurse sitting on the front desk, leaning on her left hoof and flipping magazine pages with the other.

The little ones carefully walked towards the front desk. They tried not to be rude or startle the nurse. “Excuse me?” Applebloom asked.

The nurse pony turned her attention from the magazine and looked down at the ponies standing in front of her. Closing the magazine, she threw it behind her as if it was a piece of trash. “Oh… er… Hello, how can I help you?” The nurse greeted with a smile.

“We… Ah mean, Ah’m here for a checkup,” Applebloom replied.

The nurse moved to her right and took a couple of papers from a stack. “Okay, you will need to fill these in. I’ll help you out. I’ll ask you a question and you answer, okay?”

“Okay.”

“First, what is your name?”

“Applebloom.”

“Age?”

“Fourteen years old.”

“Is it a full checkup that you came in for, or is there something specific you want the doctor to look at?”

The filly looked down and fidgeted All of her friends knew about her baby, but telling it to other ponies was still hard for her. A few of her friend patted her shoulder in support, but the filly stayed mute.

The nurse noticed that Applebloom was not sure of telling her what she had. That was something common in ponies when they go to the hospital, they are too embarrassed about their situation that they don’t want to say it outloud “It’s okay, little filly. You can trust us. We are here to help you with whatever you need.” The voice of the nurse was soft and the smile on her face made the ponies feel safe and able to trust her.

Applebloom took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “Ah’ need a pregnancy check-up.” She muttered in the softest volume possible.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t hear that. What was it?”

“Ah’ need a pregnancy check-up.” She muttered again. Her voice was almost as soft as Fluttershy’s.

“Could you speak up a little?”

Applebloom gave up.


“Ah guess there’s no use in hiding it here,” She thought to herself as she sighed. “Ah need a pregnancy check-up…please.”

“See? That wasn’t so hard. Now, a preg… ” The nurse’s eyes lit with concern as Applebloom’s words sunk in. Drumming her pen on the desk a few times before and focusing on the paper work. She slashed a few notes on the document before looking back up at Applebloom. The nurse’s face was no longer of comfort, instead it was of confusion and concern.

“Okay...” Drumming her pen again, she cleared her throat. “Okay, let me check some stuff here… Do you have any allergies?”

“No”

“Any record of… Okay we don’t need most of these” She placed the clipboard down “Okay, first. Are you a hundred percent sure you are pregnant?”

“Yes, Ah am.”

“What kind of pregnancy test did you take?”

“The Phanes Potion”

The nurse put her hoof on her head and thought for a moment. “Phanes Potion...? Wait, the one made out of crystal berries and asphodel roots?”

“Yup, that’s the one.”

“How do you know about that kind of potion?”

“Ah have a book that a friend gave me. It has tons of different potions.”

The nurse drummed her pen in a rapid rhythm, trying hard to not scrunch up her face. “Alright then, and who is the father.”

Spike stepped up nervously. He was holding his right claw with his left and his eyes kept moving from one point to another. “Th-That’s me.”

The nurse stared at both of them for a moment. She didn’t move, and didn’t say anything. She only looked at them. “Is this some kind of joke?” She asked. She hoped-

“No, we’re honest.” Applebloom replied.

“O-okay, just wait here. I’ll be right back.” The nurse turned to her right and walked through an aisle.

They stayed there for a couple of minutes and upon noticing the nurse didn’t returned they looked took a look around the waiting room and remembered the three lines of chairs being completely empty. They moved to the first line and took a sit while they wait.

“Hey, so how does this potion work?” Sweetie Belle asked.

Applebloom raised an eyebrow, trying to remember the whole process so she could explain it to her friends. “Well, you take all of these ingredients and mix them up. You have to smash them with a rock from a river until it becomes a sort of white goo. You take a hair from your mane and put it in, and if it turns blue, it means that you are not pregnant. If it turns pink, it means you are.”

The hospital was quiet, as if no pony was there. The only sound they could hear was the sound of a radio, but its volume was so low they couldn’t even identify what song it was. There was cold air coming from a vent on the wall that gave them chills, and the smell of medicine was so powerful they felt it wasn’t going to leave for several days. There was a reason why ponies didn’t like hospitals.

Sweetie Belle was twitching nervously in her chair. She imagined something would come out and attack them like in one of those movies she saw, even though her sister told her not to. “Wh-why don’t we return later?”

“I need to do this now.” Applebloom answered. “If you don’t want to be here, you can go, but this is something Ah have to do.” She recalled how Mrs. Cake had emphasized the importance of a doctor’s supervision, so she thought this was the best thing to do.

Sweetie Belle thought about going through the door and heading straight home, but looking at her friend made her think “


Scootaloo was feeling the worst thing she had ever felt. The two things she hated the most in the world were combined at that time: Waiting and hospitals. She was biting her lips to prevent herself from screaming, and she had her hooves crossed so she wouldn’t try to run. She didn’t want to say anything, because if she did she might yell something she would regret later.

After some time passed the nurse returned. Her face was more serious than before. “Could you follow me please? The doctor is going to see you now.” She said in a harsh tone.

They all exchanged looks with each other. The creepy atmosphere along with the serious tone of the nurse made the hospital feel like a hostile environment, but Applebloom didn’t think about it as much. Getting up from her chair, she walked through the aisle followed by Spike. The others took a little time to calm themselves as they walked the path too. After turning right they spotted the nurse standing outside of a room, through the door they saw a doctor sitting next to a bed with a weird machine at his side.

He had a white coat covering his whole body “Hi, little ones. I am Doctor Frost Hoarse. The nurse told me there was a rare situation here.” His voice was more upbeat than the nurse’s. He also look more cheerful and happier “Come here, don’t be afraid.” He said

With nowhere else to go, they walked inside the room slowly. Scootaloo was the last one to enter, and after she entered the nurse shut the door. This made everyone in the room jump, including the doctor. She walked over to the machine next to the doctor and invited the little filly to accompany her. “Please, Applebloom, jump up onto this bed.” She ordered.

Applebloom walked very slowly. Although the doctor’s face was happy, the whole place looked like one of those horror movies Sweetie Belle forced her to watch. She jumped up onto the bed and laid on down it. It was very stiff and kind of hard; it wasn’t really comfortable and she couldn’t imagine sleeping on it. She saw the nurse at her right tweaking the machine and pressing buttons. “Wh-What’s that?” Applebloom asked.

“This? This is an ultrasound machine. It’s used to see the baby ponies when they are still in the mommy's belly.” Doctor Frost answered in a soft voice, very similar in the way Ms. Cheerilee would explain something. “Now, Phanes Potion is fairly accurate for a test, but sometimes it can make mistakes. I’m pretty sure it was an error, and to make sure, we are going to use this to look inside of you and see if there’s a baby present.”

Applebloom put her front hooves on her stomach as a shield. “Does it hurt?”.

“Not at all. I will put this on your belly and everything will appear on this screen.” The doctor explained.

Applebloom looked at her friends. They were smiling, trying to look optimistic in order to make Applebloom feel more comfortable, even though they couldn’t shake the creepy imagery of what the room looked like.

“Spike…could you come here?” Applebloom asked.

The dragon walked up to her left side. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Ah just wanted you to be with me.” She replied. Spike gave her a smile and stroked his fingers softly through her mane.

The machine made a beeping sound, and the screen turned on. It showed a lot of black with some gray textures on it. “Okay, the machine is ready. Shall we?” The doctor asked.

The filly spread her front hooves, letting the doctor put a probe on her stomach. It was cold and had a gel on it that made her coat feel weird. After a couple of seconds, once the probe had touched different parts of the filly’s stomach, the doctor stopped for a moment and looked at the screen very carefully.

“This…this is unbelieveable.” The stallion stammered.

“What? What is it?” The filly asked in concern.

The doctor took the screen and tilted it, letting Applebloom and Spike see. They could only see a tiny ball in the middle of it. The doctor took his glasses off and they could clearly see him smile. “That…that is your baby. Congratulations, you ARE pregnant.”

Applebloom let out a huge gasp, even though she already new that she was pregnant in the first place. The fact that she could see her baby was something she never imagined. “That tiny…” She couldn’t finish her sentence; her eyes were watering intensely, only this time, she had a big smile on her face. These weren’t tears of sadness as the ones she had shed before; these were tears of joy and happiness. “Hello there, Ah’m your mommy. Nice to meet you.” She said quietly, touching the screen.

Spike was motionlessly standing right next to Applebloom. He couldn’t stop looking at the screen. His heart beat faster than ever before, and his breathing was so heavy he felt he would shoot fire through his nose. His right claw was stroking Applebloom’s hair, while the other one held Applebloom’s left hoof very tight. As he looked down and noticed her watching the screen, his fears suddenly began to vanish. Fears of what anypony would say about the baby, the concern about money, a place to live, and about their future were completely gone. Now there was just him, her, and the baby. He leaned and kissed the pony on her forehead.

The other two couldn’t see what was on the screen, but they could see how happy their friends were, and that was enough for them. However, there was one pony in the room that didn’t have a smile on her face.

“Excuse me, doctor, but how could a pony conceive with a dragon?” The nurse asked.

The doctor crossed his front hoof and took a deep breath before making his explanation. “Well, as you know, ponies have never been close enough to dragons to study them. Aside from some behaviors, we know next to nothing. We don’t know how their bodies work, nor anything about their chromosome structure. The only non-violent dragon we know is Spike, and Princess Celestia strictly forbade us to do any kind of exams on him.”

The doctor closed his eyes for a moment and continued. “There is a theory that states that dragons might have the same aura powers as earth ponies, which would be the reason for them being able to resist high temperatures to the point of molten lava, extreme cold conditions, and breathing fire. If there was a resonance between the dragon aura and the pony aura that resided inside the pony’s body, that could lead to a chain reaction into her…”

Before he could finish, he noticed that no one in the room, except for the nurse, was understanding anything he was saying. He cleared his throat and thought about a way to make things easier to understand. “In other words, it might be because of magic.”

“So, what do we do now?” Spike asked.

“Simple, you have to take care of the baby and make sure nothing happens to it. No drinking alcohol… Well, you can’t do that to begin with. No hot tubs or jacuzzis, but you can take hot showers. And don’t do any physical activity that demands a lot of you, but stay as active as is comfortable for you.” The doctor said.

“And we need to let you parents know about this situation.” The nurse added.

“No!” Spike and Applebloom blurted in unison.

“You can’t do that! We haven’t told them yet!” The dragon said.

“Look, your parents are going to find out sooner or later. It might as well be now.” The nurse stated, seeming to recover her soft voice.

The doctor put a hoof on her shoulder and took part of the conversation. “I think we can do something here. I won’t tell your parents, but you will have to let me check up on the baby every once and a while and take record of everything.” He said cheerfully.

“Why do you wanna do that?” Applebloom asked

“Well, the baby of a dragon and a pony is something no pony has ever heard of. This could be a major medical breakthrough.”

“Ah just want to make something very, VERY clear. Just like what the Princess did, Ah’ don’t want any experiment or any medical…things going with my baby.” Applebloom said sternly. Her voice was very deep, and her eyes looked at the doctor fiercely in order to let him know that she was not joking.

“Fair enough, but you have to come here every week. I want to keep track on the growth of the foal. Deal?” The doctor offered.

“Deal.” Applebloom agreed.

The nurse pushed some buttons and pulled a few things on the machine. The machine made a few sounds, and threw something out of a slot. “Here are a couple of pictures of your baby. You can take them if you wish. Congratulations, by the way.” The nurse said.

“I’ll be seeing you next week. Remember, no alcohol, no hot tubs, and no rough games. Take good care of yourself and the little one.” The doctor ordered. The cheerful voice of the doctor made Applebloom think things would be better after all.

Spike took the pictures, and Applebloom jumped down from the bed. She was then hugged by her friends, who were waiting patiently for their turn to talk to her. “Oh my gosh! Congratulations, Applebloom!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“I’m sure you’re going to be the best mommy ever!” Sweetie Belle added.

“Thanks, gals.” The Applebloom replied.

The doctor stood up and moved to the door. Leaving the room, he wanted to give space to the fillies to enjoy their moment. The nurse stayed behind to accompany them to the entrance. “I don’t want to ruin the moment, but we need to talk about the payment. Theses kind of procedures are really expensive and-” But the nurse was quickly interrupted.

“We got it covered.” Spike said while showing the nurse a handful of gems. “How much will it be for the checkup?” He asked.

The nurse’s jaw dropped, and her eyes opened widely. “Err… I’ll just take a couple of these and everything will be fine.” She said while taking a few gems.

Once the payment was done and everything was clear, they were preparing to leave the hospital. Sweetie Belle had been biting her lower lip since she was in the waiting room earlier. “Excuse me, miss. Why is this place so…barren?”

“We don’t know, to be honest. Maybe ponies are taking better care of themselves nowadays. This is good, of course, but it doesn’t really leave us with a lot of work.”

“Yeah, fascinating. Come on Sweetie, time to go.” Scootaloo said in a sarcastic tone.

The doors of the hospital opened, letting the little ones leave. They noticed that the sky had started to change from blue to dark tones of different colors. The very first star of the night had just appeared. Scootaloo stretched her wings and gave a big yawn. “Well, this was a long day. See you tomorrow, and congratulations again.”

Sweetie Belle walked near her friends, but suddenly stopped. She frowned, as if something was bothering her. The couple could only see how strange their friend behaved. After a couple of moments of head-shaking, Sweetie Belle turned around and said, “Congratulations again; see you tomorrow!”

“What’s gotten into her?” Spike asked.

“I dunno...” The Applebloom replied. There was something in Applebloom’s right hoof that she considered more important now: the picture of her baby. She raised her hoof and took another look at it. “Isn’t she beautiful?”

“‘She’?” The dragon asked.

“Yeah, this baby is gonna be a beautiful mare.”

“How do you know it’s a ‘she’? It could be a tough ‘guy’.”

“Ah’ can feel it, and you know that the mother always knows best.”

“Whatever.” The dragon replied while throwing his arms into the air.

Applebloom smiled as she continued to look at the photo. Her eyes were shimmering, thanks to the few rays of the sun that had still refused to set. Spike’s claws were shaking, and his eyes were focused on the pony right in front of him, but his mind was remembering the pony back home waiting for him. He had the other copy of the ultrasound in his right claw, but for the moment, however, he wanted to hide it.

“Ah’ think it’s time for us to go.” Applebloom said, waking the dragon from his daze.

“Huh? Oh, yeah...” Spike shook his head. Watching the sky above reminded him that the night was about to cover the land soon, so if he didn’t get home promptly, Twilight would be worried. “I’ll go to the gem field tomorrow, too. I’ll leave the gems at your place so no one gets suspicious. What do you say?”

Applebloom leapt towards Spike and put her arms around him, giving him a big hug. “Thank you...” She tilted her head softly and placed her lips on Spike’s cheek. He froze in place. In the past, Applebloom used to kiss him when he wasn’t looking in order to make him nervous. He liked it, even though he never told her.

Spike slowly moved his arms, trying to reach the pony and wrap her in his arms as well. Before he was close to it, however, the earth pony broke her hug and turned around. “See you tomorrow, darlin’.” She winked her eye and smiled, only to then move forward towards the house site at Sweet Apple Acres. Spike watched her walk until he couldn’t distinguish the silhouette from the darkness. He thought to himself as he run full speed towards the Golden Oak Library.

One after the other, the feet of the dragon ran quicker than they normally did. He took a glance ahead, noticing the lights of his house still on. He pressured his pace and raised his arms forward to open the door quickly.

Once he reached the entrance of the library, he took the doorknob and opened it carefully.

His thoughts continued while he pushed the door slowly in order to keep it from squeaking. Before he came in, he took a small peek inside to spot where his friend was. He put his head against the door and looked through the gap between the door and the wall, only to notice the alicorn standing right in front of him.

"Hello, Spike. Where have you been?" Twilight asked. Her face showed a smile, and her voice was strangely calm.

"Oh...err... Hi, Twilight. I was with the Crusaders. Didn't you see the note I left?” Spike put the picture of the ultrasound behind his back and leaned on the wall to hide it from Twilight.

"I did; I'm just asking where you’ve been." Her voice was still unchanged. Due to this situation, it was rather creepy for Spike.

"I… We were at the treehouse."

"The whole day?"

"Yup." He said awkwardly, forcing a smile and looking directly into Twilight’s eyes. He hoped it would make her believe him.

"And what is it that you had to do?"

"Umm......you know, Cutie Mark Crusaders… Jewel Testers, Gemologists, and…Dragon Tamers." He said with his ongoing smile. He had been struggling so much that his cheeks began to hurt.

Twilight looked him in the eyes. Her face began to change by frowning a bit, but it quickly went back as it was. "Okay, just dont be so late next time. Now come on; dinner’s ready." She turned around and went directly to the kitchen.

“Got it!” Spike answered. He took the picture and, before he went to eat, hid it beneath his pillow.

The idea of telling Twilight about the baby came to his mind over and over, and so did the kiss that Applebloom had given him. There were more things swirling around in his head than he could’ve ever imagined. He had no idea what could happen if he told anypony about them. For now, though, he didn’t want to think about it. Now, he just wanted to eat dinner with his friend and rest.

Author's Note:

In this time line the Golden Oak Library was NOT destroyed and replaced by a horrendous structure. Thank you Meghan McCarthy!

I know the chapters are coming slowly, but I'm on finals and school has been a pain. But worry not, the wait will be worth it.

Thanks to Rocinante, Friendship is Magic, and MIKEANTHONY321 for proofreading this chapter.