• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 1,580 Views, 37 Comments

Mark of Baen - CrypticMetaphor



In the final installment of the Baen duology, Baen must fight old enemies and come to terms with his past to prevail

  • ...
9
 37
 1,580

II

The previous day’s events were the talk of the town for a good portion of the early morning and well into the early afternoon. To put it mildly, everypony was getting back into the swing of things after a giant extinct lion ransacked Ponyville, just the normal stuff. However, a specific castle was abuzz with activity. The girls were smiling away as Baen finished regaling them with stories of the places he had been to.

“And despite the fact that the Yaks were….excitable,” he stated with a mild smirk, “They found me pretty entertaining.”

Twilight chuckled, “I’ll bet. I’ve heard rumours that the Yaks are a bit more of a violent tribe.”

Baen shook his head, “Far from it, they just have a bit of temper and are a tad picky.”

Rainbow smirked as she flexed her sore wings, “Sounds like a certain pony we know.”

Baen snorted as the girls gave a good natured laugh as Baen sipped his cider. He smiled as he stared on at his friends; he shook his head and smiled.

Applejack took note of his expression, “Somethin the matter Baen?”

Baen smiled at them all as they stared on, “I’m just so happy. I mean,” he sipped his drink, “I think back to how things used to be. Me awoken in this new and strange time, and all of you,” he gestured to the girls who smiled, “so willing to befriend a stranger such as I, but….I was so horrible to each and every one of you. I treated each one of you with such anger and hatred, and all you wanted to do was help me adjust to this new world and to give me friends in a time that I was alone,” he smiled with a great warmth, “now look at us. Gathered in a princess’s castle sipping cider and swapping stories.”

Rarity nodded, “Back in your time, I suppose it would seem impossible for a barbarian to befriend a Princess and her friends that wield great power?”

Baen smirked, “My tribe would think I was weaving a fable.”

Twilight smiled and placed a leg around him and squeezed, “Well Baen, for the record,” she lightly bopped him on the head, “I’m glad that I never gave up on you.”

“And I’m glad for that,” he added.

Pinkie hugged the two, “Twilight and Baen FOREVER!”

The two chuckled and the revelries continued. As the celebration of Baen’s continued between the seven friends, Baen started to wonder the halls, his mind wandering. He glanced around and took notice that Twilight had finally moved all her stuff into the castle. He had to admit, the crystal look was a tad bit of an eyesore at first, but it steadily grew on him. He turned into the grand library and paused, on a nearby table; a book was glowing and vibrating. Turning his head to look behind himself, the sound of the music was a dull drone. Glancing back at the book, he approached it and flipped it open in curiosity. Within, a message appeared word for word as if some unseen hoof was writing it.

“Dear Twilight,

How’re things going? The girls and I are doing pretty well. Things are pretty quiet over here ever since the sirens were chased off. I got a new outfit; Rarity helped me pick it out. We miss you Twi, and we hope that the visit we talked about can happen soon; frankly I’m REALLY eager to meet this Baen you’ve been talking about. But when you come to visit is all up to, just let me know so I can tell the girls. Hope to hear from you soon.
Your friend, Sunset Shimmer.”

Baen smiled at the entry, but jumped when he heard a throat being cleared behind him.

“You know, it’s rude to snoop Baen,” a smirking Twilight scolded, “If you wanted to read that with me, you could’ve just asked.”

Baen chuckled lightly, “now where would the fun be in that?”

Twilight shook her head but noticed Baen’s expression. A look of a troubled mind, Twilight knew that look well.

“Is something wrong,” she approached and placed a wing on her Blood Brother, “If there’s something wrong Baen, you can tell me.”

Baen sighed, “Twilight…..,” he turned to look at his reflection in the Crystal Mirror, “how long have I known you all?”

Twilight tapped her chin, “Many months, it’ll be a year after this year’s Summer Sun celebration. Why do you ask?”

Baen mulled the words in his head, “Right,” he glanced at her, “and in that time I’ve been going out with Coco, and for those many months I vacationed with her and the time I spent on my own travels gave me time to reflect.”

Twilight tilted her head as Baen continued, “Twilight, I’m strong and brave, but even those qualities of me have limits. Twilight….,” he looked at her, “I’m afraid.”

Twilight blinked in surprise, “Afraid of what?”

“Twilight, I think of all the times you and your friends have done these great deeds,” he gestured to the mirror, “Saving TWO worlds from the brink of destruction, preventing immense tragedies, essentially being more of a hero than I,” he looked down at the ground and sighed, “you all protect the ones you love and care for, but seeing how much this world has changed. I’m starting to doubt my own strength.”

Twilight was speechless, “Baen….where did this come from?”

“Where you ask,” Baen inhaled steadily, “During my time with Coco, I came to realize how much she means to me,” he placed a hoof on his heart, “my heart burns whenever I’m around her and when she’s back in Manehattan far from me, I feel incomplete,” he looked up at the Mirror and his reflection stared back at him with a steeled expression, “which is why….,” he turned to Twilight, “I’m going to ask her to marry me.”

Twilight’s eyes widened in shock.

“But Twilight,” he stared at his hoof, “I’m not unstoppable, like any creature, I can be killed. My fear is that there will come a time where you and many others will depend on me….and I won’t be strong enough to protect all of you or the one I love. I’ll fail and….”

Twilight placed a calming hoof on her friend, a caring smile gracing her features, “Baen, I understand how you feel and I’m happy you’re telling me this. Despite what you think, you’re just as strong as me and the girls, maybe more than you think. Don’t ever doubt yourself,” she gave him a bit of a shake, “You have a marefriend and friends who care about you greatly and all them have the upmost faith in you,” she straightened up and stood before Baen with her hoof on her chest with a knowing look, “everypony has fears and it’s those fears that make them doubt their own abilities. But they don’t EVER let their fears change who they are, but Baen,” she relaxed her hoof, “I want you to promise me something. If you ever feel like you’re fears are becoming too much, talk to me or the girls about them and we’ll help you anyway we can. Can you do that for me?”

Baen nodded with a warm smile, “Yeah.”

“Also promise me this,” she placed her hoof on his chest, “Whatever may come in the future, don’t ever change who you are. Always be you, don’t let anypony, anything, or any fear change that.”

“Twilight,” he embraced the princess in a hug, “Thank you. I needed that.”

Twilight nodded, “Anytime, but back on the previous subject,” she smiled with glee and started hopping in place, “You’re going to propose to Coco Pommel! I’m so happy for you!”

Baen waved his hooves, “I’m still considering it! Don’t start rolling out the reception, I don’t want the other to know that I’m thinking of marrying Coco just yet.”

“YOU’RE WHAT?!”

Baen noticed the girls staring on in gleeful shock.

“OH FOR TIEG’S SAKE!”

Author's Note:

Apologies for the shortness as well as how long I took and possibly the weird pacing of this chapter. I don't know, this just feels off for me. But if it's fine, YAY! :pinkiehappy:

So, the rewrite officially begins now! I'll probably be updating this more frequently to make up for the chapters I deleted and rewrote.