• Published 1st May 2014
  • 2,525 Views, 78 Comments

Tears of Fire - Silentpegasus



After a strange Unicorn stallion with a knack for fire magic crash lands on the outskirts of Ponyville, Twilight takes him in to help him cope with the horrors he's seen. Will this stallion ignite the flames of passion for the scholar?

  • ...
9
 78
 2,525

Chapter 3: The Pendant

Chapter 3

The Pendant

The five mares sat around the bedridden pink party animal with the blue and white stallions beside them. Twilight had just finished explaining to them who the grey stallion was and how she had found him the night before.

“So this guy fell from the sky?” Hex asked.

“I know it sounds crazy, but that’s what I saw.” Twilight said in a weak tone. Pinkie let squeak of delight. “You okay Pinkie?”

“Now I gotta throw him a party!” She said with a smile.

“Let’s just see what the doctors have to say about your condition.” Applejack said as she put a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. The door suddenly opened to see a tan Unicorn stallion in a white lab coat and a stethoscope around his neck. “How is she doc?”

“Ms. Pie is going to be just fine.” He said with a smile. “She has a minor burn on her left fore hoof, but other than that I can see nothing wrong with her and we can check her out this afternoon.” The ponies all smiled and thanked the doctor.

“What about the twins?” Pinkie asked.

“Barely a scratch on them. It was a good thing that stallion came when he did or else things might have turned out a whole lot worse.” He said before trotting out of the room.

“You said that his name was Backdraft right?” Storm said as the group happily trotted out of the hospital.

“Yeah, why?” Twilight said.

“Just sounds familiar.” He said with a shrug. The ponies continued to talk amongst one another as they reached the library.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The grey stallion snuck through the town undetected as he saw the large tree house. He quickly turned into his smoke form and seeped through the key hole of the front door. He quietly snuck up to the guest room where he stayed the night. Backdraft then started to rummage through the room.

C’mon where is it? He thought as he grunted. The stallion then heard a group of voices enter the library. He quickly evaporated into the air duct and solidified as he reached the top of the stair case. He kept low as he saw Twilight talking to a group of unfamiliar ponies.

“So he stayed the night?” The white one asked in a refined voice.

“After I fireproofed the guest room, yes.” The young scholar was then approached by a small purple dragon holding something in his right claw.

“Hey Twilight, is this yours?” The lavender mare levitated the object and saw that it was a medallion with a bright blue sapphire in the center. Within the gem showed a small glowing flame.

“No, I have no idea what-” She was cut off as the fashionista gasped and galloped forward to look at the gem.

“Thats a phoenix tear sapphire!” She squealed in delight.

“A what now?” Applejack asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s only one of the most rarest and precious gems in all of Equestria!” She said as she examined the gem. “Remember that fire ruby Spike gave me?” The mares all nodded in unison. “This gem makes that look like a pebble.” The small dragon held his head low. “Not in sentimental value dear. The ruby you gave me will always have a special place in my heart.” She said as she patted the small dragon on the head. Spike gave a smile at the words from his crush.

“So now what?” Dash asked in a bored tone.

“Oh idea~” Rarity sang in her sing song voice. “I just thought of a complete ensemble I could center around this!”

“Settle down there Sally.” The farmer said as she snapped her friend out of the trance. “We don’t even know who’s-” She was cut off as the farmer noticed a bright blue whip like flame wrap around the top beam of the librarian’s home. The ponies looked back in surprise to see the gray Unicorn stallion swinging from the other end towards the group.

“Stop right there criminal scum!” He yelled with gusto. The ponies ducked. The seamstress tripped in the panic and the gem went flying out of her hoof and right into the stallion’s grip. “Thank you. Now I’ll be-” He was cut off as he looked forward and saw the brick chimney of the fire place. He slammed face first into the bricks which resulted in several groans of pain from the group of ponies.

Draft slowly slid down the rocky surface and groaned as he stood up and shook off the collision. The group then trotted over to him and cocked an eyebrow in confusion. “Anypony get the number on that carriage?” He said in a dazed state.

“Who the buck is this guy?” Dash asked.

“This is the stallion I was telling you all about!” Twilight said as the ponies looked at one another. The grey Unicorn shook his head and got his bearings. “Why are you here?”

“That’s one of life’s greatest mysteries isn’t it? Why are we here?” The group looked at him in confusion. “Are we the event of some cosmic coincidence, or is there really some greater power watching, listening and has a plan for us all? I don’t know, but it keeps me up at night.” A long silence fell over the group.

“I meant what are you doing here in my library?” Twilight said as she face hoofed.

“Oh.” The stallion said in an embarrassed tone. “Just getting this.” He said as he held up the gem.

“So that thing is yours?” Rarity asked. Backdraft nodded as he put it around his neck. “I see I.....wait what did you call me?” She said as she gritted her teeth and frowned.

“And that’s my cue to scram.” As he turned to bolt out the door only to be met with the wooden surface slamming into his face. “Locked eh? Oh well, up and out!” His horn flared a bright blue and he turned into cloud of smoke and shot up the chimney and out of the house. The ponies gave chase and galloped after the stallion. Rainbow and Storm took to the skies and chased the stallion that returned to his physical form.

“Gotcha!” Dash yelled as she tackled him. Backdraft smirked and turned into his smoke form again and slipped between the mare’s hooves. “What the hay?” She yelled as the cloud moved through town. As the group pursued him Hex’s horn flared and trapped the cloud with four bright blue walls of magic.

Draft returned to his physical form and examined his magical prison. He smirked as the group of ponies surrounded the box. He looked at Hex who smirked.

“Nowhere to go now.”

“Wrong on that note pal.” He said as he looked towards the sky that was open. Draft closed his eyes and focused his magic. The group then saw his mane and tail started to move and glow as though it was on fire. Draft smirked and the ponies saw that his hooves were following his mane’s example. The stallion crouched. A small crater formed around him and the air became humid.

“Geronimo!” He yelled as he jumped. The group watched in amazement as fire erupted from his hooves propelling him up into the sky. Draft smirked and rocketed forward away from the magical prison and group of ponies. The gray stallion could feel his magic draining and started to descend. As he landed he saw that the pink mare’s tail was twitching.

He looked up to see a large bucket of water falling towards him. As the cold liquid hit his coat his fire like mane returned to normal. “Buck.” He said in a flat tone as the bucket hit the side of his head.

“Sorry!” A mint green Unicorn mare said as she looked down with a worried look on her face. Draft rubbed the sore spot and smiled at the mare.

“It’s fine. I’ve taken worse-” He was cut off as he was tackled by a lavender blur. The two ponies tumbled in the dirt. Draft opened his eyes to see a familiar and very cross purple Unicorn mare glaring at him. She had his hooves pinned and was pressing her forehead against his.

“What is your problem?” She yelled.

“Hey if you’re gonna put me in a position like this then at least have the decency to buy me dinner first.” He said with a chuckle. Twilight thought for a moment and then realized the position they were in. Her face turned red as she got off the stallion. The rest of the group then surrounded the stallion. “Jeez, what do you ponies want?” He yelled.

“Why did you run away?”

“Your friend there,” He said as he pointed at Rarity. “was about to turn my family heirloom into a headdress.” He said in a flat tone.

“I was just thinking out loud!” The white mare said as she puffed her cheeks in frustration. The stallion rolled his eyes and steam started to seep off his body.

“Well, don’t do that when you’re talking about my stuff.” He said as he put it back around his neck. The pink mare then galloped up to him. “Oh yeah, how are you feeling?” He asked as his sapphire blueeyes fell on the pink Earth pony.

“All better!” She said with a smile. “Thanks to you!”

“No biggie.” He said with a shrug.

“No biggie? You dove into a burning building!” Dash yelled.

“Wouldn’t be the first time.” He said as he started to trot away. The stallion was then stopped by a pink mare.

“Wait! I have to throw you a party for saving the twins and me!”

“Thanks for the offer but parties aren’t really-” He then saw the pink mare give him the biggest puppy eyes he’d ever seen.

Damn. You found me weakness!

“Knock yourself out.” He said with a smile as the mare quickly zoomed off laughing to herself. An orange blur then chased after the mare. Draft turned back towards the dumbfounded group. “Is she always like that?”

“Pretty much.” Storm said. “So craziness aside, what’s your name?”

“Backdraft Inferno at your service.” He said with a bow.