• Published 4th May 2014
  • 6,837 Views, 236 Comments

Falling for a Star - CCpone



You're a military fighter pilot of a F-22 raptor along with your best friends Lorin and Jason. To bad you tend to use old tactics.

  • ...
48
 236
 6,837

Chapter three - The promise

Anon's POV:


For the first time in the past two days, you're awoken calmly by the suns rays gently descending onto your face. Opening your eyes you can see the dark green leaves hanging from the branch of the tree that you're resting against. The grass that you lay on has a light layer of morning dew upon it and lastly there is a light fog that lurks a few inches from the ground.

The sight is quite breath taking as the distant mountains come into view, but just barely. The temperature is warm, but the light breeze brings a chill. You would say that the temperature was be about 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) give or take.

Glancing around you take sight of your camp site, well what's left of it. The campfire has gone out and all what is left is white ashes with burnt pieces of log scattered around. The smell still lingers in the air, you always did like that smell, the smell of burning wood.

The next thing your eyes lay on is "EQUESTRIA'S GREATEST FLYER! " passed out in her sleeping bag. You have to admit you chuckled a bit when you saw your helmet still on her, straps and all. She lay there motionless, but anything from silent. If she could snore a bit louder you wouldn't need those flairs.

Getting your mind back to the task at hand, you slowly get up and stretch. After a couple of bone pop's and muscle pulling, you feel good as new. Well almost good as new, you still reeked of river water and overall you weren't that clean.

You quickly brush off some excess dirt with your hands, which in turn causes the dirt fly off of you and into the breeze never to be seen again. Now that you're somewhat presentable you go over to Rainbow Dashes sleeping bag, in hopes to wake her up. Actually you only need her awake to put on the backpack that she's in. After that you could care less if she falls back asleep.

You know that this journey's going to be long and grueling, but you're going to make sure that Rainbow Dashes moral is high. After all you rather have a happy Dash then a angry or cranky one.

Walking towards the bag you get a glimpse of the forest behind her. Memories start to play back in your head: The fight, the blood, the precision shooting. OK the last one made it all better, as you do recall yourself being quite the badass.

As those memories play in your mind you realize what would of happened if you didn't wake up from those yelps of pain. What would of happened if you arrived a bit late, but all these are all 'what if's' and didn't actually happen. So you just push them out of your head and continue on.

Arriving at the backpack you can only pick out, the helmet and the bit of her rainbow mane sticking out of the bottom of it. She looks so peaceful, you almost consider it criminal to wake her up, but what must be done must be done so she doesn't start to attack you again.

"Hay, Rainbow?" You ask as you nudge her sleeping bag.

A large grumble is all you hear in response

"Come on Dash, just wake up for two seconds then you can go back to sleep." You say softly.

Once again she grumbles however this time she answers, "What?" She replies with a voice none to enthused.

"I'm going to start the walk along the river, so I'm gonna have to lift the backpack that you're in." You say kneeling down to the backpack.

"Why do I need to be awake, if all you're doing is lifting me up?" She asks half asleep, eyes still closed.

"Well I don't want you attacking me because, you think some rando is picking you up." You say

"Fine just get it over with fast." Dash replies.

With conformation from Rainbow Dash, you waste no time picking up the two backpack's. Dash has her front hooves over your shoulders making sure she doesn't fall backwards. You admit it's pretty cute having to basically piggy back a rainbow Pegasus around.

"Don't you dare tell anypony about this." Rainbow comments as she once again dozes back off into slumber. You can only assume that it's her pride speaking, as anyone else wouldn't care so much.

"You don't have to worry about me telling anyone." You state looking back towards the rainbow mare. She gives you a light smile as thanks before resting her head against your shoulder and shutting her eyes. To you this seems a bit overkill for her pride, but who are you to argue with a talking cyan colored Pegasus.

By the time you two are finished your little talk Dash is passed out on your back. With nothing holding you back you continue the journey.

You assume that this planet is round and has a north. With this assumption you take a glance up towards the sky. You really hope that this planet has the same rotation as the earth -even you know that's a big assumption- however with that assumption in mind you claim that the way the sun is rising East. So if you turn ninety degrees left with the sun on the right of you, you should be facing North. Noting that direction you head over to the river where you were yesterday. The river was West of your camp, so the sun was rising away from that direction.

It seems that everything in Equestria is beautiful, the light green grass with pockets of unknown flowers, the sun rising behind you allowing the light to bounce off the ripples in the water causing it to sparkle. It's things like this that you take special attention to, it's the little things in life that truly mean the most.

It's a great day to be alive. You think to yourself as you reach the ever so graceful river. You open up the front backpack that holds all of your supplies. How you managed to fit all of it in one small backpack baffles you to no end. Reaching into the now open backpack you take out two canteens this time. One from your crash and another from Lorin's crash.

You wonder how he's dealing with the inhabitants being technicolored Ponies, Pegasus's, and Unicorns. If you know him he's probably freaking the fuck out.

With the canteens now filled to the rim, and a quick swig from yourself you set your direction to follow the river to the North.

You put the canteens back into the back pocket of your backpack, hoping that the sun wont heat that far into the backpack.

Getting a foot hold, you raise your body up to full height and start the long trek up the river to who knows where. You really just want to sit down and wait for help and enjoy this beautiful day, but since no one came last night you figure help's out of the question.

2 hours later...


Some time passes by and you're still in awe of how magnificent the scenery is here. The river you're following managed to split at one point, but you kept true and followed the one heading north and man did you love your choice.

The view was breath taking, the river flowed in a valley that lay in-between two mountain ranges. One mountain to your right was so high it disappeared into the clouds, while the one to your left seemed to just kiss the bottom of the clouds as they drift on by.

Pushing onward you walk restlessly for about two hours more before you hear the yawn of a certain Pegasus pony. You're either way stronger then you look or this pony weighed close to nothing. Definitely stronger, oh you always complementing yourself to keep the spirits high.

"Mornin' Dash. Have a nice rest?" You say in a teasing manner.

"Sure did, this backpack is surprisingly comfortable." She says as she stretches and rest's her hooves back onto your shoulders.

"It sure looks like it is with the blanket in all." You say recalling the sight of her snoozing away by Lorin's plane.

"So how long have I been out?" Dash asks tiredly.

Thinking back you try to figure out how long you actually walked. You recall the sun being at the horizon when you arrived at the river. Looking up in the sky you see that the sun's almost at its peak. You would assume its 11:00 (11:00 AM) or something.

"About four hours, so not that long." You say as you open your front backpack while walking.

"Do you know where we are heading?" She asks.

"North, that's all I know." You reply.

Going into the back pocket you pull out the still cooled canteen that has been previously purified. Which reminds you to slow down on the water consumption, you're starting to run low in the purification tablet department. With that in mind you hand over the canteen to Dash.

"Here, drink some, but not all of it. I don't want to run out of purification tablets." You say as the canteen leaves your hand and into her hoof.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say Anon." She says as she takes one gulp of the water before handing it back.

At this time, when you turn around to grab the canteen, you see that she still has your helmet on. You wonder if she knows how to take it off, or if she just really likes to have it on. Either way your head was feeling bare once again so you asked.

"You like the helmet? Or you just don't know how to take it off?" You say as you put the canteen back into the back pocket.

"A little bit of both." She claims sheepishly.

"You want it off now?" You say as you step over a rather large rock on the ground.

"No, not yet, this thing is so bucking sweet." She says as she pulls down the visor.

Well you hope she turned off the night vision.

"HOLY HAY SEED, WHAT THE BUCK!" Is all you hear with a reassuring thump, that tells you 'no' she did not turn off the night vision and was pelted in the eyes with a bright white light.

You turn around to see Dash laying on the ground visor up and rubbing her eyes. Hehe you remember your first time doing that, didn't hurt you as much as you think it hurt her. You hold out your hand, and you help Dash up and onto her hooves.

"What the buck was that!?" She says as you dust her off.

"You forgot to turn off the night vision." You say holding in the laughter that would surly of come if you weren't afraid of being beaten to death.

As you dust her off you notice that she has a tattoo on her flank. That's a pretty weird place to put one. Then again what do you know about places to put tattoos on a pony, who knows maybe it's a fad here. It surprises you that you didn't notice it earlier when it sticks out clear as day.

You wonder what it meant, a thunder cloud with a lightning bolt coming out of it. Not only that it's a rainbow lightning bolt. Something about this symbol is familiar to you but you don't remember, anyways why guess when you can ask.

"What's your tattoo on your flank mean?" You say as you step back from the Pegasus.

"You were looking at my flank!" She says as she literally catches you off guard with that one, making your face turn a tinge red from embarrassment.

"No, well yes but only for a second." You quickly reply, "I just glanced over and saw that sick tattoo." You say regaining your composure, but you think that some spaghetti might still be coming out of your pockets.

Rainbow Dash laughs your embarrassment up and after a good couple of minutes she follows your lead and recomposes herself. She then turns around and sees the tattoo that you were talking about. Turning back she speaks up.

"You mean my cutie mark?" She asks.

Wait, what? Cutie mark? You stand corrected this world can get more fucked up. "What's a 'cutie mark'?" You say confused.

"You don't know what a cutie mark is?!" You don't know if she is bashing you further or generally just as confused as you are.

"Can't say I do Dash" You say as you look down at her.

The next half an hour goes by and she explains what a cutie mark is. Apparently here in Equestria the land of pastel colored ponies, when you find out your special talent your cutie mark appears on your flank.

Well you guess that either everyone on earth doesn't know what there special talent is, or this anomaly only happens here on Equestria to ponies.

"So, try and guess what mine is!" Dash says as she shows you her flank.

"Ummm, I guess your talent has to do with something with either speed or weather, as for why its rainbow I am completely stumped." You say.

"You got most of it." she admits. "For the rainbow color I am the only one in Equestria that can do a sonic rainboom."

"So your special talent is braking the sound barrier?" You say looking a bit impressed as how a pony like her is able to brake the sound barrier.

"Yeah, that and I also work with the weather team." She says nonchalantly.

What? Weather team? That is a question for another time you suppose. As for now it's best if you keep moving and maybe setup camp at the lake you see in the distance.

With that you manage to argue with Dash to get back into the backpack and stay put. However every now and then she would kick you in the back though the backpack. let's just say you were going to feel the effects of that soon.

Not too much later you head off towards the lake that is starting to fog over. The walk to the lake was rather uneventful other than a occasional kick to show that Dash didn't like being carried. Which the closer you came to the lake the less and less frequent the kicks came.

Looks like she is finally giving into being carried and letting her pride down for a couple of moments. Either that or she just got tired from the kicking.

When you reach the lake the fog is thick, so thick that if you shot your desert eagle it would probably make a hole of clear visibility in its trail. however you don't want to test this theory out.

Which reminds you, you didn't tell Dash how you killed the three headed monster. You think it's for the best as you pointed the same device at her head when you first met. Talk about first impressions.

Anyways you reach the lake and set the bags down by a rock that is about twenty meters from the water. This water wasn't like the river water that flowed into it. This water was muddy and all brown. In fact you think that you can see bubbles coming from bellow.

Well now you know that you aren't going swimming today. You kinda feel unsafe being this close to the muddy water. Following your instincts you pick up the two bags including Dash and hull them farther away from the water.

At least now if a monster comes out of the water, you'll have enough time to pull out your M-4 and give it a big old surprise.

"Why are we so far away from the lake?" Dash replies still looking tired.

"I don't trust the looks of it." You say as you lay against a rather large bolder.

"Cant you kill it if something comes out like you did to the Chimera?" She says as the gears turn in her head. You swear you can hear the gears grinding. "Wait a minute, how did you kill the Chimera?" She says

Well fuck now you have to tell her, you don't want to lie to her anymore, keeping secrets is a bad habit. Especially when your life might depend on the person you are hiding the secrets from. That would be a bad death, killed by a overly angry friend.

As she completes the last sentence, you pull out your M-4 that was attached to the backpack. A frown comes upon her face, she looks a bit confused with your actions. You then pull out your Desert Eagle from its holster and lay the two weapons in front of you.

"I used these to kill it." Well technically you only used the M-4, but you wanted to get a point across that these two have the same functionality.

"You said they were sleeping devices, but the Chimera was dead!" She says trying to piece together what little information she had.

"Yeah about that, I may have lied when I said these where sleeping devices." You say sheepishly.

"Then what do they do?" She asks but you know, that she knows, the answer to her own question.

"Its easier to show then to tell." You say as you pick the two weapons up.

Rainbow Dash gets out of her sleeping bag and trots over to you where you holster the pistol. Taking aim at a nearby tree with your M-4. You should really be wearing some ear protection and eye protection but fuck it, if your gonna go deaf do it stupidly.

Giving a bit of pressure, you slowly pull the trigger releasing a three round burst into the tree truck. You see the bark fly off the tree trunk and is soon followed by the noise of it ripping apart. Turning over to Rainbow Dash, half expecting to be pummeled to death by a cyan pony.

To your surprise the cyan Pegasus does not beat your sorry ass to death, instead stands there mouth a gape.

Anon you should say something maybe she is in shock that you almost shot her, when she first arrived.

Oh, that... Right.

"You OK Dash? You look a little bit... shocked." You say turning the rifle to safe and taking the clip out placing it into your coveralls.

Rainbow Dash shakes her head, in what you assume to be waking herself up from her current state. What she does next surprises you, she heads over to the tree and looks at the damage that the your rifle did and as if that wasn't a big enough surprise what happened next surly was.

"That was bucking amazing dude!" She says as she trots over to you, a smile on her face.

Uhh you don't think you like that smile on her face. What does this Pegasus have in mind. Does she even remember you pointing the pistol at her face? She stops a meter away from you then looks at your Desert Eagle.

"What does that one do?" She asks excited.

"The same thing." You say, taking it out and showing it to her.

The smile upon Dashes face is a bit unsettling, you think you know what she wants to do but you're not sure she can handle it at her current state.

"Can I try." Dash asks.

Yup exactly what you were thinking, she was thinking, but what she doesn't know is you thought about this in advance and were ready for this. You didn't mind the thought of her trying out your guns but not in the state she is in now.

Speaking of which you haven't properly re-bandaged both your wounds. In fact you don't even feel your leg wound any more. Must have healed while you were sleeping, and during the walk to this lake.

"Sure but there are two things you have to do before you shoot any of these guns, OK?" Your starting to sound like your captain more and more.

"OK? what're the conditions?" The rainbow mare asks.

"First off, you have to let me re-bandage you and make sure that you didn't get any infections." You say.

"OK. What's the second one?" She asks.

Your having a feeling that this second condition is going to ruin the whole deal that was going so well, but you have to do it, it's for her own good. If she truly wants to shoot the guns she's gonna have to do it.

"You have to eat... meat, that's the only food I know here that is safe to consume." You say calmly.

"Buck you man, why do I have to eat in order to shoot?" She says raising her voice.

"If you don't have some form of energy, those guns can injure you if not kill you." You say seriously.

"But why meat!" She whines.

"Because I don't know any plants here, there all alien to me." You state confidently, "so do you accept those terms." You state.

After your last sentence was completed, Dash stands still digesting what she just heard. You get that it's a hard decision to throw away your morals like that, but if it's for survival so why not. Knowing how hard it is to throw morals away you speak up again.

"I know that throwing your morals away like that for survival is a hard thing, but it must be done. I'll let you think about it for a while." You say as you go out to gather some wood and stones for the camp fire.

3 hour later...


Finding kindling was easy here by the lake, as dried grass was abundant. However in turn finding a good size log for the fire was harder. Nevertheless after two hours you got the basic teepee fire going again.

The warmth felt nice against your skin as you watched the sun set over the horizon. With it the warm May air turned into the chilling night air. You were never a fan of sleeping outside in the night for that one reason. Without the chilliness of the air you would be doing this way more often, you loved to look out into the night sky. You stare up into the sky with the sound of the fire crackling and the crickets and frogs playing around in the muddy pond, this was nice.

You haven't eaten yet but the fish from the day before was filling and you're just start to feel hungry.

Sadly it's too late to go fishing so you'll just have to put it off till the morning. This reminds you that you have eaten in the past 24 hours but Dash has not. Well you don't count the berries that she ate as a proper meal, she only had like ten of them.

As if on cue, Rainbow Dash comes into view of the fire and gets back into her sleeping bag. She stays awake and looks into the fire. Well it looks like your work here is done. You think to yourself as you close your eyes and take in the great outdoors.

"Anon?" Rainbow Dash interrupts your relaxing.

"Yeah, what's up Dash?" You reply opening your eyes and stare into her magenta ones.

"When you said you know it's hard throwing you morals away for the sake of survival." She says braking to take a breath.

"Have I ever done it?" You finish her sentence.

"Yeah." She says turning to look at the fire.

She's in for a ride you have tons of story's of you braking your morals. Some good some bad, either way you got over them at the end. However this seems like a major one for her and you don't have many major ones.

Well, you don't think she's gonna eat meat if you don't tell her your own experiences with breaking morals. Who knows maybe she might gain confidence from your story and eat the fucking meat.

"Yes I have Rainbow." You say sounding wise and all knowing.

"Can I hear about it?" She asks.

"Sure if it will help you." You say starting your story.

You start to tell her a similar story to what she is experiencing. You hope that this story will help her deal with her moral problem just like it had with you. You never really liked telling stories about yourself, but you did it anyways.

"This all happened right before the crash that sent me here." You say as you look over to Rainbow Dash. "This story is a bit gruesome, you sure you want to hear it?" You warn Rainbow Dash, but she just nods in agreement.

"The story starts with me and my two close friends, Arco and Buff. We were sent to destroy enemy planes over this place called Iran. The enemy's we were up against were smart and prepared. Sadly my dam eagerness got the best of me. We fought the enemy head on taking out two planes from afar then dog fighting the last ones. That was the mistake. As soon as we passed them on the first run I looked out in front of me to see my best friend Arco. He had a face of determination that no one could match. He gave me a smile before it happened." You say trying to hold in the emotions of replaying the event.

"I saw it all happen, I had no chance to warn him, as I saw the second last enemy line up and fire endlessly into his cockpit. I saw everything: The blood and the brains of my friend cover the inside of the canopy, not too much later the whole plane exploded and I saw what was left of his body flying out from the explosion. You name it and I saw it, his legs detached, his body riddled with bullet holes." You can feel a slight tear coming down your face.

"That is when my moral was broken, I had a moral that I was always there to cover my friends back's, but also to give the enemy a merciful death. Both of them were broken that day when I turned and shot the plane in just the right spot to burn the pilot to death." You say feeling like shit now.

"It wasn't even for survival, I don't know what happened at that moment but it wasn't me. All I knew was the pain and hatred burning in my body, I had to do it, it was for my friend." You say holding back the flood gates. You never thought it was possible to replay a memory like that in your head so vividly, but it was for the best. It was to show Dash that even though you had your morals ripped from you rather than ripping them yourself you can still recover.

Glancing over at Dash you can see that her ears are flattened against her head. She has a look on her face that says 'I'm so sorry for your loss', but you already knew that and it was for her to make the decision now or tomorrow morning.

"I'm sorry for your loss Anon, I don't think I could go on living if I saw one of my friends die like you did." She says.

"Don't worry about it, this was my own story and I can deal with it." You say wiping the tear away.

You rest your head back onto the rock and close your eyes. All you want to do right now is relax and let bygones be bygones. However Rainbow Dash speaks up once again waking you from your relaxed state. You open your eyes again and look over at the cyan mare.

"Thanks Anon, for the story." She says with sadness in her voice, "this really helps me in making a decision." The rainbow mare continues.

"No problem Dash." You say as you lay back against the bolder and close your eyes.

"I'm saying yes, I'll eat tomorrow." She says.

You're literally fighting the urge to go over there right now and hug the living shit out of her. But you restrain yourself and settle with talking.

"That's awesome Dash shows true courage to let something so close to you go." You say. "You just have to promise me that you're going to do it OK?" You say lifting one eyelid.

"I promise." Dash says with confidence.

Well that's good, she's hopefully braking down that wall that her morals are behind. A wall that is covered in pried and other shit that she could do without. You take this peaceful time to get some shut eye after all the sun is now almost gone, perfect time to sleep.

With that your eyelids gain the weight of one-hundred suns, never to be opened again till the morning light shines upon them. You're quickly taken by the darkness and fall fast asleep.

Rainbow Dashes POV:


Once again Anon is asleep and you're left in front of the fire alone. Well Anon is two meters from you but he is not awake to keep you company.

The story that he told was.... well you don't know how to explain it. You were telling the truth when you said that you wouldn't be able to move forward if you saw what he saw.

Either way the story made the decision for you on whether to eat meat or not. You decided to give it a shot, hay if Anon can tell me that story why not give meat a try. With that in mind you would surly at least take a bight of it tomorrow.

In fact you think that Anon deserves more then you eating meat. What he has been though he surly deserves a lot more. However Anon seems to be taking it well he did get a little emotional during the telling, but that is to be expected.

You sit there in the warmth thanks to his campfire. The night stars are shining through the light fog that still surrounds you and Anon. Times like these that you are glad to be outside and camping if this could even be considered that.

2 hours later...


Laying down sucks and that's all you have been doing these past two days. The most you did was fly a few feet and you have to admit you were pretty tired after it. You consider yourself an athlete but as Anon said you can't run off a empty stomach.

Getting out of your sleeping bag you take a long stretch that was ever so needed. You can hear the pops in the bones as you stretch every muscle. After that you head back into your sleeping bag. You have learnt from last time not to wander too far off from Anon.

However when you learn how to use those weapons that he has, you surly won't need him around for protection any more. Then you can really show him that you can handle yourself in a fight. Who knows maybe you can show him some of your cool tricks.

Are you trying to impress him Dash?

no I'm just showing him I can handle myself in a fight.

And what about those tricks you were talking about?

I'm board, and I doubt Anon would argue with a free air show once I get my energy back.

Sure, sure keep telling yourself that.

I will, I really don't see what your trying to tell me here.

With that mini argument out of the way all you can think of is sleep, good old sleep. You always love to nap but recently you found it hard to do. With your energy reaching critical your head hits the dirt floor and you fall asleep.

Lorin's POV:


YOU ARE FREAKING THE FUCK OUT! The last four days have been rough to you. You don't know how but your plane just fell out of the sky after that SU-35 shot that missile at Anon. You for sure think that Anon is dead no one could survive such a blast at that distance.

You did grieved Him and Arco after your crash from the fucking mesosphere, how the fuck you got up there you don't know. All you know is right after the crash some fucked up wooden wolves ran out of the forest yelping and came running right at you.

You said fuck the medical kit and survival kit and grabbed the M-4 and Beretta M-9 and ran for the hills. Well there wasn't any hills so you just took off in a random direction. You were a bit jealous that Anon had a Desert Eagle as his sidearm, but you're not one to argue with a dead person.

In fact you always thought he had it to compensate for something else. heh-heh. OK that's enough bashing his dead body for now.

So yeah the first day was rough but the following days were even weirder. You met some crazy looking animals, like a lion with a scorpion tail that you quickly mowed down not wanting to deal with it.

You have been walking for all four days and you're now in some sort of desert. The sand dunes come way over your head and you had thoughts of going back, but you were too far in now to give up so easily. In fact you owed it to Anon to make it out of this shit storm alive. So here you are now traveling though the hot and dry desert hoping someone will find you. At this point you're practically crawling right now due to your over exertion. Well Anon buddy it's time to meet you in hell. You say as you lay there in the burning sands.

The night did little help to keep it cool, in fact you think that the heat is now escaping the sand making it hotter than it was during the day. Well at least you will be cremated when you leave you weak ass body behind.

Keeping your eyes open you scan the horizon, nope no one, not even a animal. With your last effort you manage to get back up and keep walking. YOU ARE GOING TO WALK TILL YOU DIE LORIN! You say to yourself. You where never the one to give up, EVER.

6 hours later...


Hours pass and you are still walking. The Beretta in your holster is looking very tempting, but it's a cowards way out and you shall not succumb to such treason. Your legs are giving in, screaming in pain to just end your worthless life.

You don't listen, in fact you push yourself harder, FUCK YOU LEGS, I CAN DO WHAT I WANT! Your view gets blurry as your legs finally give up. You can do nothing but watch as your vision slowly fades, you can see nothing just sand, FUCKING SAND!

"Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners" ~ Laurence Sterne