• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 2,272 Views, 65 Comments

The Darkness Within - Natsumushi



Fluttershy has been acting very strange lately and it doesn't look she's eating properly either. What's going on with the timid mare?

  • ...
4
 65
 2,272

Kindred (night)

Twisted branches rose from the earth like skeletal talons clawing to the moon, causing light to bleed upon the Everfree forest. Amidst the fog shrouded foliage, Pinkie stood; watching from afar at a familiar cottage.

"Oooh...Please make these stop...somepony please. I'm sick of these nightmares..." Pinkie groaned, expecting the same thing as she had in previous nights. Cautiously and stealthily she inched her way to the window and peered in.

In the room she beheld Twilight and Zecora engaged in conversation around the zebra's cauldron and drinking something that Pinkie thought smelled tasty, straining to hear the words that were being spoken.

"I...I just don't know what to do Zecora. Applejack is hospitalized, Pinkie's been suffering nightmares, and on top of it all, Fluttershy is missing and a strange spider pony is terrorizing Ponyville! I've tried to reach Celestia, but I'm not getting any replies. Something is very wrong, and I feel so powerless. Can you help me?" Twilight asked as the zebra rubbed her chin in contemplation.

"I see your fears and am appalled to hear, have you sought aid from the night Twilight dear?" She rhymed inquisitively.

"Princess Luna said that something has been messing with the Dreamscape, and that she's been very busy trying to prevent as many nightmares as possible. Apparently whatever darkness has befallen Ponyville is capable of Dream magic as well." Twilight replied.

"And is there anything we can do for Fluttershy? We can't exactly have a bloodthirsty element of harmony on the loose."

"Should kindness fall to shadow's might, then one can reason that she is beyond the light.

But ancient rites and curses break, when one wants out from risen stakes.
You friends six are all quite dear, so I suggest to have no fear.

For if she still sees with eyes of kindness, then control she'll have; control she'll harness.

And should this affliction grow too strong, I know you'll find a way to remove what's wrong." Zecora said, her wisdom strong through her rhythm.

'That's strange, I never told Twilight about my nightmares, not yet anyway.'

"No, but I did." Came a voice from behind her. Pinkie spun around in one swift motion preparing to either fight or flee. She was not at all prepared for what she saw...

The mare before her had a pale pink coat with a long, straight, magenta mane, and somber, blue eyes.

"Hello Pinkie, its been quite some time." Her depressed clone said.

"N-no...nononononono...no...NO! I got rid of you! The psychologist said I was cured! Why are you here! How are you here? HOW CAN YOU STILL BE HERE!" Pinkie cried pressing herself tight against the wall.

"I don't want to be always super sad again, go away Pinkamena." Pinkie wept as the other entity drew ever closer to her.

"I really wish you would stop seeing me as a bad thing Pinkie, after all, we were always together, born together. And also, just to clarify, I never left. I simply gave up the fight for control of our body, well, until just a few hours ago after you passed out from...your...ahem...shall we say 'super-sexy-fun-time'?"

Pinkie's sadness was quickly replaced with earth-shattering embarrassment as fire seemingly engulfed her face.

"Don't worry, I didn't reveal anything of that nature to Twilight. I simply told her what you couldn't." Pinkemena replied to the unasked question.

"However, the ambient negativity you've been experiencing as of late has drawn me out, and like it or not we still share the same body. But I have no desire to harm it...yet."

Pinkie's humiliation quickly turned to anger. "And that's why I wish you were gone! I don't want to hurt anypony, and if you kill us it will hurt them all!" She exploded at her darker half, tears streaming down her face. Pinkamena shrank back, surprise across her face.

"Your will has grown stronger it would seem. But again, I'm not here to end us, or them. I-I actually want to help us, this time." Pinkamena said, grim determination now etched on her face.

"Since when do you care about that?" Pinkie asked, befuddled.

Her pale counterpart looked away, a faint blush on her cheeks. Pinkie moved forward inquisitively, then realization hit her.

"You...You like, like somepony?" Pinkie asked. Pinkamena looked away.

"Is that why you stayed away for so long, because you've...fallen in love with somepony?"

"YES PINKIE! Damn it, yes...I have...and I know you love somepony too, and not the one you 'slept' with this morning." She replied in agitation.

Pinkie recoiled from Pinkamena's sharp reply.

"I'm sorry, everything is just going to Tartarus, I'm not sure how much more I can take." Pinkie lamented.

"That's why we need to stick together this time. I know we've always fought for possession of our body, but now we need to work together; for your friends, for our crushes..."

Pinkie nodded, and accepted that truth. "If we like two different ponies, how will we do that? There's two of us on one body." Pinkie said, trying hard to understand and accept this long forgotten part of her.

"I have an idea, but that's not important right now. What is important however, is finding a way fix everything that's gone wrong. What you saw just now with the zebra and the purple alicorn-"

"-Zecora and Twilight." Pinkie interrupted.

"...yes, those two. It's a vision of what's to come. We need to make sure she's safe. Remember the two pony rule? She's here by herself with the zebra after dark, meaning she walked her alone. We need to fix that or something bad might happen."

"Okay, your right. Let's go." Pinkie said, forcing herself awake.

***

Pinkie awoke, tear stains drying from along her cheeks as she found herself standing in front of Twilight's castle in the middle of the afternoon.

'I've already told Flutterbat we'll be back shortly, as you, and that she can stay in our room till either nightfall or till we get back. She was still drowsy, but nodded in understanding.'

"uh, thanks, I guess..." Pinkie replied aloud, garnering a few strange looks.

"Lets do this."