• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 2,274 Views, 65 Comments

The Darkness Within - Natsumushi



Fluttershy has been acting very strange lately and it doesn't look she's eating properly either. What's going on with the timid mare?

  • ...
4
 65
 2,274

Erase these scars

Darkness Within
Chapter 4
Erase these scars

"Is she gonna be okay doc?" the elderly Apple family matriarch asked the elderly unicorn doctor in a white lab coat and spectacles. Her eyes were baggier than usual from the extreme sorrow she felt after receiving news that her eldest granddaughter was found in critical condition on the doorstep of Sugarcube Corner and rushed to the Ponyville medical center. She couldn't bare to lose another young Apple, it was hard enough that she had to bury her own daughter and her husband, but to lose their offspring was downright intolerable. As soon as Pinkie came racing to their farm with tears streaming down her face and her hair straighter than ironed pants, she knew something absolutely terrible had happened. She gathered together Big MacIntosh and little Apple Bloom quicker than a jackrabbit during mating season, and raced to the hospital.

"She's stable for now Mrs. Smith, but she's not out of hot water yet. She lost a great deal of blood and in all honesty, it's a miracle she's still alive; and conscience no less. I heard about how resilient You Apples are, but to see it for myself; I can't help but to be left speechless. She is currently in room 204, with the other elements of harmony." He informed Granny Smith.

"Thank ya kindly young'un." she replied and as quickly as her old bones would let her, she hurried to Applejack's room with Big Mac and Apple Bloom following close behind.

The walk had winded her by the time they arrived. As Granny and the others rounded the bend, they saw room 204 hanging open, letting visitors know that the patient was taking them. The sight before them was almost unsightly.

There Applejack lay, an oxygen mask upon her face, bandages around her neck and waist. The whole right side of her face was swollen and in a partial cast. The sight broke Granny's little old heart, as she suppressed a sob.

"H-how're ya seedlin'?" she asked though stifled sobs, "That's one heck of a shiner ya got there."
Applejack, as well as the others (except for Fluttershy; who was absent) slowly turned toward the new arrivals.

"I'll say, I must look like Tartarus, ain't Granny?" Applejack tried to jest. Granny Smith nodded, and let a wry smirk break across her muzzle, "Yeah...Yeah ya do seedlin'." she replied as she wiped away a tear.

Apple Bloom and Big Mac rushed over to the bed, Big Mac sobbing like a little filly.

"We was so worried about ya li'l sis! Ah'm'a glad you're still alive." he blubbered.

"Don't ya'll worry none, it'll take more'n this ta keep me down." Applejack replied weakly.

"So are ya gonna be alright big sis? What happened to ya?" Apple Bloom questioned innocently, causing Rainbow Dash to also press the issue.

"Ya A.J., what gives? You know you're not supposed get into trouble without me right?" she teased, stepping next to the bed and giving her a gentle nuzzle.

"Since Ya'll're now here, I'll tell ya what happened." she began, "Well as ya'll know I went over to Fluttershy's place to take care of her critter's. But could ya imagine my surprise as ah open the door 'round noon an there she was! She was tryin to be her sweet little self say'in that she could take over and ah could leave. But the way she been actin' lately made me mama bear her and ah told her ta take it easy an that ah'd make her some of Granny's Famous stew for supper. She wound up passing out darn near the minute her head hit that pillow. So ah went about the day taken care of things around the cottage like ah said ah would. Checked up an her a couple of times, then 'bout 9 o' clock I hear her movin' about, so ah told her soup was on and set the table figuring ah could talk with her 'bout her health and whatnot." she paused to catch her already feeble breath. Shuddering, she slowly continued.

"Sh-she asked me ta leave, and ah told her I wouldn't, then she started screaming and doubled over, orderin' me ta run a-and ah wouldn't listen, I didn't know what was goin' on. Next thing I know she bucked me somethin fierce in face and screamed like all tartarus broke lose. After I got my bearings back I went over to her... And it...it wasn't shy no more. I-it..." she trailed off fighting back tears. Rarity moved up to put a comforting hoof on Applejack's shoulder.

"It was Flutterbat! She's back! And instead of wantin' Apple juice she- she got a hankering for...for...for blood..." she said barely above a whisper, finally her strong front had had enough and she caved in, wailing like a banshee as her friends stood in stunned silence at this disturbing news. Pinkie couldn't believe it, it couldn't be possible! Not sweet innocent Fluttershy, of all ponies. Even though her nightmares had painted a horrid visage over her lovely friend, it still couldn't be right, right? It was some kind of joke or maybe Pinkie was still dreaming. That had to be it, she was still at sugarcube corner sleeping on a table. Twilight caught a glance at Pinkie staring blankly in disbelief at Applejack, taking on her customary depressed appearance she recalled all too well.

"So, did..did she do...that to you?" Twilight shakily asked as she pointed a hoof at Applejack's side wound. The farm pony shook her head, and in between sobs, she said, “No, that wasn't shy. It was something else entirely. It looked kinda like a pony and a big old daddy longlegs had a foal. Ah ain’t ever seen such thing in all my days."

"Ya see the thing is, after Fluttershy bite me in the neck and started drinking me like a tap, she started crying right as ah was about to pass out, next thing ah know she threw me to the side and flew out of her kitchen window, or rather through it. Ah was having a hard time stayin' awake when ah decided to go after her. 'bout the time ah got ta ponyville ah got ambushed by some terrifyin' spider-pony thing in the square, it took a good chunk outta ma side and ah really thought ah was goner until Flutterbat dive bombed the sucker and sent it spiralin' back. I took that chance to get to Sugarcube corner cause ah wouldn't be any use in the state ah was in. And well, ya'll know the rest..." she finished, taking a deep and ragged breath. "Ah know our 'shy is still in there somewhere, ah just know it..."

Suddenly, an ancient memory forced itself to the front of her mind as her eyes widened as shock and horror washed over her face.

“…it couldn’t be…”

***

16 hours prior to Applejack's hospitalization

"Applejack! Leave now!" Fluttershy cried as the painful contortions of the nocturnal change began. 'No, no, no, no , no! This can't be happening! Not Applejack. But, that smell...I'm sooo thirsty..
‘I-I need her...her blood...so rich and fragrant. I can't hold it back...' she thought to herself as one the worst spasms began. As a blood curdling scream escaped her lips and her vision went white; it was as if every nerve was on fire.

For what seemed to be an eternity she lay upon the floor of her kitchen as the pain began to subside. Soon she began to hear Applejack's heartbeat quicken and her breathing pick up in pace. The rhythmic thumping of Applejack's heart from within her chest acted as a dinner bell that was being rung, beckoning Fluttershy to her next meal, causing her hunger to swell exponentially.
"Damn it Applejack, you should have ran..." Fluttershy somberly spoke as her friend's hoof beats approached.

"F-Fluttershy?” Applejack said just as Fluttershy whipped around in the blink of an eye and sank her her fangs deep within the orange mare`s neck. The taste was exhilarating, fantastic from the very first drop of blood to grace her lips. So good in fact that she went so far as too run her soft warm tongue around the puncture wounds, which caused Applejack to elicit a quiet moan.
As Fluttershy continued to suck the intoxicating liquid, a new feeling began to wash over her. The blood of Applejack was robust and very rich in apple cider the more she drank the more delicious it became, and the more orgasmic it became, until something strange happened. Whilst reveling in the ecstasy of her binge drinking a vision of filly Applejack appeared before her eyes.

The scene before her unfolded; the day was dreary and grey as clouds rolled by and the Apple family was found gathered around the grave site of what appeared to be Applejack's parents with their coffins being lowered into the earth.

“Celestia help me, ah'll find who did this to ‘em!”, filly Applejack swore, crying into her brother's chest.

‘This isn't a vision, this is a memory! But how?’ then suddenly several other memories flashed by in rapid succession. The mutilated corpses of her parents, a scream, and a shadowy beast with long wiry legs: and eight red, glowing eyes.

Then, in an instant, Fluttershy regained control and instinctively threw Applejack out of the window as if she were a deadly bomb about to explode.

Fluttershy in that moment not only saw her friends past, but also felt it as if she was Applejack at that very moment. Emotions course through her like a whirlwind; anger, grief sadness, self-loathing, terror, fear, and loneliness all came together to form an unbearable amalgamation of madness made into a physical pain. She could do nothing more than to flee into the night sky in a fit of lunacy shrieking so loud and so terribly that it had the potential to make Luna’s blood run as cold as ice.
Applejack shakily stood up and began to hastily head toward the direction of her friend’s horrid wailing. Her vision slowly faded in and out, almost as if she were in a dream or at least really, really drunk.

“Flutters! Don't…don't go! Where…come back sugar cube! Ah…ah'll help…you…” she called out, finding herself stumbling into Ponyville square as lightning ripped across the sky and cold rain began to pound into her body. She fell upon the ground when a noise from a nearby ally caught her attention.

“Fluttershy, it'll be okay sugarcube…come on out now. Don't you remember me? It’s Applejack, please sugarcube!” She begged as she began to crawl toward the location.

It was not Fluttershy she found, but instead something far worst, something nightmarish, something she never wanted to see again...

***

Fear.

It is a primal instinct, one that urges you either flee at top speed away from it or to fight tooth and claw to ensure your own survival. It was that very same instinct that Applejack felt coursing throughout her very being in that moment.

Feebly looking up to the monstrosity before her, she slowly backed away, but the creature followed her movements with its multitude of eyes, each one glowing red with malicious intent.
"W-What the hell are ya?" She exclaimed, sweat mixing with rain as she tried her best to keep awake.

The beast soon revealed itself, creeping out from the shadowy ally, and stood to an impressive height, nearly as tall as Discord himself. Lighting flashed and the horror's vestige was fully realized. It looked to be an emaciated pony at first sight, but that was then greatly overshadowed by its four long, spindly legs. It's mane and tail were a pale peach color and it's chitin-like coat was a pale bluish grey color. Each of its leg sported a sharp and bony tip, perfect for piercing and rending any unsuspecting creature to cross its path.

The face, its terrible yet alluring face; Eight eyes were sprayed across its pony-esqe face like small, fiery, gemstones. It's mouth had two long spider-like mandibles protruding from either side of its cheeks. Small spines accented each vertebra of its spinal column and in between the center of its chest. And, what scared Applejack the most, was that it had a cutie mark! One that looked like a star spider lying in wait at the center of a web.

For a minute or so, the two locked their gaze on one another, then Applejack made a run for it.
Stumbling about in her weakened state, she was unable to avoid the spider-pony's gaping maw, and felt the searing pain of fangs sinking into her flesh, tearing away both flesh and muscle from bone as sinews were ripped from their ligaments. Applejack's sight failed her as the pain of the rushed through her in a torrent of agony.

It looked grim for her as her shriek of pain echoed from the distant corners of Ponyville. Sugarcube Corner was just now in view, as she began to feebly crawl to it. It all seemed for not, she was going to die here, only a few feet from Pinkie's home.

"Whelp, if'n ima gonna die t'night, I'm gonna at least give it the most brutal buck I can muster." She resolved to herself.

The creature eyed her precariously as it swallowed the chunk of of meat as blood dribbled down it's chin. Then smiled.

If she wasn't scared enough as is, that smile sealed it. She was now down-right terrified, because in that gore riddled smile a ray of recognition and malign intelligence shone through. This thing wasn't some wild carnivore, it knew exactly what it was doing. And reveled in it.

"W-well then eat me! Come at me! Ah'll make y'all beaten an broken 'afor I die t'night." She feebly threatened as she slowly inched backwards, here vision failing here more and more.
Then it spoke.

"It remember that taste." She hissed, her voice carried an eerie ethereal sound as she spoke.

"Why, if I recall correctly it was roughly 18 years ago. On a lonely farmstead. I had a delicious meal for two." She continued, tauntingly. The fiend began to circle Applejack, examining her, studying her.

Applejack could feel the spider-pony's eyes all over her body, tracing the contours of her body.

"Ah yes... You're that little orange filly that interrupted my meal. My you've grown into such an attractive and juicy mare. Look at you, barely hanging onto life by a thread. I would have liked to have some fun with you before I ate you. Such a shame, I'll just need to savor what's left of you." She finished.

But just as she went in for the kill, a streak of muted yellow and pink tackled the abomination and sent it sprawling through a nearby tree. The last thing Applejack remembered before waking up in Pinkie's arms was Fluttershy carrying her over to Sugarcube corner and rapping upon the door before taking off after the spider-pony.