• Published 2nd May 2014
  • 1,024 Views, 29 Comments

Dark Harmony - Smiles



Equestria is gone, a husk of the paradise you've once longed for. What has happened here to turn rapture into limbo?

  • ...
6
 29
 1,024

Ch. 1: Things Betwixt

Dark Harmony

By Smiles


-Things Betwixt-

Time to wake up.

Blink. Blink.

Where are you, you ask yourself.

How did you get here?

Where is here?

You rub your eyes, and take a gander at the sight before you.

A massive cave greets your eyes, darkness teetering at the corners of every light. The ceiling shines like the night sky itself, points of light shining brilliantly like stars. Gems and moss cover the walls, glowing like the nebulaes of the cosmos. Large columns of stone separate the above from below, extending seemingly miles upward beyond your sight. Your shoes stand on soft moist sand, surrounding you is an ocean that brushes against the walls of the cave.

Ahead is a small dirt pathway between large jagged boulders. You take a step forward and walk. There is no other way to progress than to drown in stagnation.

The pathway grows narrower and narrower, and you struggle to keep yourself from being poked and scratched by the sharp edges of the rocks. You grunt in annoyance as your squeeze yourself through a small crevice, pressing down on your chest as you struggle to breath. Alas, your efforts are rewarded.

You stand before a clearing. Circular and open, tall blades of grass tickle your heels above your socks. A waterfall flows from your left into a river that meets the ocean. In the middle stands a tree, with windows of light shining from the inside and beckoning you closer. You heed its call and cross the wooden bridge over the unseeable river.

The iron hinges of the wooden door creaks with rust as you push the lockless door open into the hollowed tree. Various trinkets and books lie upon shelves. Sacks of fruits and vegetables lay under a staircase. The floor is covered by a torn carpet that lays clean beneath your shoes. A cauldron rests over a fire, bubbling with an orange stew.

In the middle is figure sitting at the long end of a rectangular table, eating from a bowl with a wooden ladle. You cannot see their face, nor any other defining aspect of their appearance. Their brown robes are too large and thick.

She speaks. Hoarse and old.

“Hmmph. Another deprived furtive pygmy. Looking for an adventure? A tale of glory, romance, and friendship, I presume. Something exciting, something to break away into the freedom you so desire. You wouldn’t be the first. Or maybe…”

She stirs her food, playing with it as potatoes and carrots circle around each other.

“Maybe you assume nothing, a child simply walking along the road life provides for you. Awaiting the surprises that come and go. Solace and order is what you prefer.”

She looks at you with large pale eyes, irises degraded and thin, looking through you as if seeing something other than yourself. Her face is a bright blue and equine in shape, like a horse but much rounder and human. Like out of a cartoon.

“You’ll find both and much more, where you’re going.”

She smiles.

“Tell me about yourself, young-un. Tell ‘ol granny Trixie what you’ve got hiding beyond my poor sightless eyes of mine.

Your height.

Your build.

Your gender.

Your history.

Your family.

“Interesting.” She nods slowly, before breaking out into a laugh. “Oh who am I kidding, you’re not interesting at all.” She cackles loudly, rocking in her chair and holding a hoof to her mouth.

“I wonder, what your reason was for coming here. Can you tell me? Can you recall?”

You can’t.

Everything is a blur.

A warm cozy bed...

A convention center… You were wearing a...

No… It was a dark and stormy night. The rain was hard, and there was lightening…

But then, where did the pain come from? Or was it… You were on a ship? Or were you at home?

Why can’t you remember?

“Hmmph, just like all the others. Only this time you’re not wearing some silly costume.” She cackles some more, to your dismay. “Well, since you are already here, have something to start yourself off with.” She pulls out a rusty dagger, a large wooden staff, a sheet of paper with some fancy drawings on it, and a… crystal?

“This is a Crystal Harmony,” she says, as she holds up the jagged stone. The furnace light reflects off its dark onyx shade, its skin clear but black to the core. “A remnant of an era long past. There is so much, yet there are so little. Hold on to it, and any others that you may find. Be careful of whom you share them with, and what you do with them.

Grabbing the gem, you look deep into the swirls of colors behind the dark cover. Time seems to slow down and speed up, images of imagination filling your head. You’re interrupted as the old hag coughs loudly.

You take the items and slide them into your pockets, cides the staff which you decide to hold in your right hand.

“Now run along, little one. Go off on your little journey. I have no time for questions.” She shoos you away with a… hoof. “Any minute now, they’ll be another human walking in through my door, wearing something silly with an even sillier attitude. Must be the newest fad, kids these days…”

You give her a look, eyebrow raised in confusion. You shrug nonetheless, and prepare to head out through the same door you came in.

“Oh, and one more thing.”

You turn around.

“Actually, I think it’s better if I let you discover it for yourself, this time.”

This time?

Strange woman.

You sigh.

No where to go but forward.

And then you walk towards the light.


You tilt your head in confusion.

Instead of large luminescent cavern, you find yourself in a forest of petrified trees. You turn around to the hut, only to find the stone trunk of a tree meeting you face to face.

A jingling noise catches your ear. You look up. A fire-red bird glides through the air over you, heading towards the jagged mountains far off to the North.

Curiosity, and the start of your journey.

Continue?

Author's Note:

Whelp, this fic is going to probably be my only HiE fic. Hope you enjoyed it so far. Feel free to leave any sort of comments below! :pinkiesmile: