• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 9,561 Views, 592 Comments

The Life and Times of an Alchemist Turned Pony - Thadius0



Okay, saving Equestria from powers I foisted on it, not a problem. Saving a mare from certain death, easy! Getting used to being a pony? Someone shoot me.

  • ...
41
 592
 9,561

Chapter 1 - Escape from the hospital!

Let's recap real fast: I've existed in Equestria for fifteen hundred (and change) years. I was once the wielder and master of Psynergy, before giving up that strength, piece by piece, to light Elemental Lights, to form the Golden Sun, to defeat the Wise One.

Said sacrifice tore apart my then-shell of Dullahan, but the powers of the Sun were not so easily denied. I eventually came back, in my own body, and Dullahan too returned. After a rousing adventure across a good bit of Equestria, I find myself facing off against some pony who would use and abuse Psynergy, magic, and Alchemy to defy death itself, no matter the cost.

I bested him, but the cost of doing so was all my Tokens from all those others in other Equestrias. Void-energy is not so easy to come by, so that's...one reason I carried them around. Now I can't Call on them anymore. The only token I have of those other Equestrias is a few books from Typhon. In theory, they could Call on me...but, well...

See, I've formed a sort of bond with a mare here. Name's Measured Thought. White coat, black-and-grey mane, brown eyes, flask with some green fluid bubbling in it as her mark, oh, and a unicorn. Recently, I saved her thrice over. As in, the last gambit of the guy who would've abused all those things I mentioned earlier sent a command to one of his mind-controlled minions to kill her, and I saved her.

Cost was pretty high, though. I ended up reaching inside myself for the power that kept me immortal, and broke it. Now, without that power to sustain a human form, the magic of this world...changed me. I'm Auric Fulcrum, and I used to be human. I'm a pony now, though. Orange coat, black mane and tail that turn to gold at the ends, golden eyes, crystal-blue hooves, mark of an eclipse, and I, too, have a horn on my head. Currently, this scares me.

Why? Oh, besides the whole species-swap thing. Besides the terror of learning to do everything all over again while I figure out just when I'll get my human body back. Besides the idea that I'm probably without a good portion of my power and thus defenseless?

"Siiiiiilver Liiiiiiining!"

...Yeah, I may have pulled a small joke on one of Tia's guards with that name a little while ago. Possibly involving something sexual. And now she's here to return the favor.

Being scared was an entirely rational response.

"Get me the buck out of here! Now now now now now!"

Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry, two of my visitors in the hospital, tilted their heads in confusion while their ears swiveled to pick up both my complaining and Tia's cries. Twilight spoke up first. "Why would you..."

I cut her off. "Because I pulled a prank on her and her guards once, and I doubt she's forgiven me for it! And now that I'm stuck as a pony for gods only know how long, I dread to think what she'll do to get even with me!"

I turned to Measured, who I hoped would listen. "Please! You have to get me out of here! I'll come back, get checked up, all that good stuff! I just don't believe I should be out of my tower while Tia's in town!"

Measured put a hoof to her chin while she ran the idea over in her mind. Cel's cries only got closer. Eventually, Measured nodded and lit up her horn with a brown aura. "Fine, but the moment she leaves, we're coming back to get you your checkup. And you owe me."

I nodded as her magical aura encompassed us both. "I can live with that, just get me out of here!"

Twilight and Flash raised a hoof as though to stop us, but thankfully, we both vanished. The last thing I saw of the room was the door opening and the start of Cel's muzzle peeking in before it all vanished, to be replaced by the sight of my tower's walls just in front of me. Measured nodded and shook herself as the strain from teleporting two ponies across town hit her, but opened the gates just the same. She rushed in, and I...stumbled in.

Hey, walking with four legs is not easy. I was surprised I didn't drag myself in. I felt the tingle of my protective spells pass over me and sighed in thanks as they still accepted me for me. For a moment, I was rather afraid.

Measured was apparently fed up with my shenanigans and decided to just levitate me into the tower proper. The doors closed with an almighty 'BOOM' and we both sighed.

And then the bell rang. Measured and I shared a Look. One that quite plainly stated to each other that we weren't going out there.

"I'm not going out like this," I motioned to my new body.

"Yeah, and I'm not the lord and master of this tower. You are. The bell ringing is your responsibility!"

"Look at me and tell me that I don't look indisposed to you!"

Measured cast a, well, measured glance at my new form. She held it for significant amount of time before blushing. I waved a hoof in front of her to get her attention again, and she blinked before looking away, blushing all the harder.

"As I was about to say, this is not my native form. And until I'm either on two legs again or can, in fact, move myself under my own power, I am in no position to answer that ringing bell."

Measured sighed. "Meaning I get to answer the door. Joy."

She pushed the doors to the tower open and walked out to the wall before blinking on top of it. "Oh, Princess Celestia. What brings you here?"

Silence for a moment, followed by, "Yes, well, as you may have heard, Auric is indisposed. He does not wish to be seen at this time."

Another, longer pause. "Yes, that's more or less what he told me. And quite frankly, I think I favor his favor a bit more than yours, seeing as how you can't quite get in without an invitation, which I'll not be giving at this juncture."

I wiped my brow with one of my hooves and let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding. "Sorry, but he made it quite clear he does not wish to see you until such a time as you let his little prank go."

Silence for a bit longer then. "Well, unless you make a...what was it that mare called it...oh yes, a Pinkie Promise, the sort that I am given to understand nopony breaks, that you are not here to cause trouble, then I can't let you in."

Sweat condensed on my brow as I heard those words. She wouldn't actually? "Very well then. Princess Celestia, please come in."

She just did. The doors ground open, and I heard the hoofsteps nearby. I clumsily got to my feet and made for the door on the opposite side of the room. If I could just get in there!

It was not to be. Just as I started to manage flailing about quickly, I was snagged in a golden aura of magic and brought to hover in front of Cel's face. She smirked at me as she examined my new form. "My my, I see your powers of transformation are still remarkable as they ever have been. I think this form looks even better than Silver Lining."

I scowled at her. "Remember your promise, Cel. I want no trouble from you on this."

Her smirk grew into a grin. "If I am given to understand the wards on this place properly, then only what you invite in can get in. I could break my promise right now..."

I smiled at her in turn. "Except for three things. One, you have to leave eventually, and then Pinkie will get you. Two, I could just invite Pinkie in if I think you're going to break your promise. And three, this is Pinkie we're talking about. For all we know, she could already be in here."

Celestia hummed, put a hoof to her chin, opened her mouth, and then there was the sound of...something impacting the wards. The three of us looked out the door to see a huge sign had been lifted over the wall. One done in crayon on cardboard. One that read, 'I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE, PROMISE-BREAKER.'

Cel wisely shut her mouth after that, and the sign was pulled back down. She turned to me, and I smiled smugly at her. "Like I said. Pinkie. Attempting to outwit her or her promises is never a good idea."

Cel nodded slowly. "I...see that now. Very well. I have a few questions for you, Auric, and then I will leave you be. The pony that was the mastermind behind all these plans and schemes, where is he? Luna only said something about how you wanted to deal with him and that she was not privy to the methods."

I sighed. "I exiled him from reality, Cel. From all realities. He'll never be a bother again. And while we're at it, let me predict your next question: he wanted to take some Water of Hermes, the powers of you and your sister when infused with sympathetic elements, and the power of Alchemy granted to him by a False Sun he constructed, and create Waters of Eternity. While...theoretically possible, and something I'm going to look into when I have my power again, it's also something I think we could do without."

She slowly nodded. "I concur. Housing would become a nightmare, for starters. And feeding too many immortal ponies would be impossible."

I nodded as well. "So. Anything else, Cel?"

She merely smiled at me. "No, I think that covers all of my immediate concerns for the moment. The rest, I can wait for."

And with that, she leaned in and whispered in my ear.

"I'll get you one day, just wait."

She blinked out of existence, leaving me to impact the tower's floor bum-first. I groaned and Measured giggled. I cast a glare at her, and she merely smiled at me.

"Come along, Auric. She's left, hasn't she? Time to get you back to the hospital so they and Twilight can run their tests on you..."

And for some reason, I shuddered. I wondered if Twilight had forgiven me for that little stunt in the Archives yet...

Author's Note:

Yup, I have no adventure in mind for this part.
Just general 'human getting used to his pony body for as long as he has it' fluff.
...
And the Crusader tag is there for a reason.
One that will leave Auric a shambles of his former self.