• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 1,444 Views, 55 Comments

Welcome Home, Twilight Sparkle! - Buckseed



Alternate Universe. Twilight returns to Ponyville for the first time in years, but things aren't exactly how she pictured they would be.

  • ...
9
 55
 1,444

Old Friends

Fifteen minutes until arrival at Ponyville Station.” Twilight heard the announcement and closed her pocket edition book on psychology and its applications. She looked over to the boy sleeping next to her. His hair was dyed green and styled into various messy spikes.

She leaned over and nudged him. “Spike, it’s time to get up. We’re almost there.” she said

A few more nudges and the boy woke up and stretched with a yawn. “Twilight? We there yet?” he asked groggily, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“The announcement just went out that we’re a few minutes away.” she replied.

Spike finished rubbing his eyes and took a look around. It was then that a thought seemed to suddenly hit him. “Hey Twilight, your friends know who I am right? Like, Rarity doesn’t think I’m your boyfriend or anything like that?”

Twilight had to let out a small giggle at that. “They should know who you are by now. I wrote in the letter that you are my best friend. I doubt they could mistake that for anything else.” she said, now being reminded of when she first met the boy sitting next to her.


It was the day after her high school graduation, and Twilight was returning a few books she borrowed from her schools library. As she turned a corner in the hallway, she bumped into someone and almost fell back, had the person not reached out and caught her. It was a boy, who seemed a few years younger than she was. He had spiky green hair and bright green eyes. Apparently he had been accepted into the school for the next semester and was on a tour but got separated after going to the bathroom. It was then that Twilight decided to give him her own tour of the building, she had nothing to do for the day anyway.


She laughed at the memory, it sounded like something from a cheesy romance story but it was just the first bond being formed between friends.

The two began to make sure that all of their belongings were still in order, Spike remembering the cardboard box and Twilight putting her book into her purse. Soon enough the train slowed down until it came to a full stop.

Ponyville Station. Be sure to have all your belongings. Exit to the left.” the announcement rang out as Twilight felt her heart beat a bit faster with excitement.

“Come on Spike!” she said as she made her way out of the train car and onto the platform, Spike following after her excitedly.

“Do you see them?” he asked as he watched Twilight scan the crowded station for her friends. His answer was an excited gasp.

“Girls! Over here!” Twilight yelled while waving a hand in the air.

Spike followed her line of sight and his jaw nearly dropped. ‘There she is!’ he thought to himself as he watched a group of three girls walk towards him, but only one stood out. She had fair skin and light blue eyes that sparkled like gems. Her hair, a neat set of royal purple locks, bounced slightly as she walked with a slight sway of her hips.

She walked right up to Twilight and hugged her.”Twilight, darling, it’s been far too long! How have you been? Was the train ride ok?” she asked in a very polite and high-class voice.

It was then that the girl to her right jumped on Twilight as she enveloped her in a big hug. “Twilight! Oh my gosh how have you been? So much stuff happened since you left! Let’s see, the cakes opened a bakery and I got a job there and they had kids and I babysat them and they’re soooooooo cute! Oh and Rarity has a store and Fluttershy works with animals!” she practically blurted out before releasing her hold on Twilight and smoothing out her pink skirt.

“H-hi Twilight.” the third girl said as she stroked the small rabbit she held in her hands, a shy smile on her face as she did so.

‘They must be Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.’ Spike thought to himself as he watched the girls greet his friend. ‘They’re exactly how Twilight described them to be.’

“It’s so nice to see you again girls!” Twilight managed to say with a giant grin plastered onto her face.

“I suppose this would be the friend you mentioned, Spike was it?” Rarity asked, gesturing to the young man in question.

Spike placed the cardboard box down onto the ground and bowed to Rarity. “Yes that’s my name, glad to meet you.” he said as he looked up at her with a wink and a smile.

She let a small giggle escape her mouth. “Well you do seem like quite the gentleman. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” she then turned to Twilight. “Really it’s been far too long,and we do need to catch up. But I’m sure you would like to take a look at your new home and make sure everything is in order, correct?”

Twilight gave a bit of a half-nod as she continued looking around the station. After a moment she looked towards Rarity. “Hey, where’s Applejack? Busy with the farm?”

If Twilight had been studying Rarity’s face just a bit harder, she would have noticed the slight fault in the womans smile. “Shr, uhh...yes dear, she was a bit too busy to join us in this reunion of sorts.” Rarity said quickly. “Now come, let’s see your new home. You’ve taken residence where the old library was, correct?”

“Yea, I heard it was knocked down a few years back to make room for more houses. I don’t remember Ponyville being so popular a place to live in. I’m glad I managed to find the place.” Twilight said as Spike picked the box up again and they all headed out of the station.


The library was Twilights main hotspot as a child growing up in Ponyville, spending hours on end reading various fantasy books on magic and dragons and the like. It made sense to her that she would end up living where it once was. The house was very nice, although a bit bigger than the thought it would have been, judging by the price. Three stories and made of red brick, it looked cozy. The first floor consisted of a large kitchen and dining area. The second floor was made of a decent sized room, a bathroom and a large empty space that one would assume to be the living room. It was the top floor that really grabbed Twilights attention though. On that floor was the master bedroom, which came complete with its own bathroom, as well as three conjoining walls made up of bookshelves that were almost completely full of books. Sure, some were ones that she had read already, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

“Woah Twilight, this place looks awesome!” Spike said, coming up the stairs after checking out what he knew would be his room.

“Indeed it is Twilight, I can only imagine how much this cost you!” Rarity included, eyeing a book about Canterlot fashion.

“That’s the thing, it didn’t cost all that much. It must be because it’s a bit old fashioned and uses assets from the old library.” Twilight said. “The movers should be here tomorrow with all our furniture, so there’s not much else to do here.”

Pinkie Pie nodded her head ecstatically. “Yea we should go to Fluttershys house and have a party! Or Raritys house and have a party! Or maybe my house and have a party! We should just go somewhere and have a party! A ‘Welcome Home, Twilight Sparkle’ party would be amazing! Oh I’m so excited, are you excited? Oh I’ve never been this excited!”

Twilight shook her head and chuckled a bit. “Maybe later Pinkie, we can have it here after I get my things delivered. For now, I’d like to see my old friends.” she said, smiling at the girls she grew up with. “That includes Applejack. You said she was at the farm right?” she asked, looking to Rarity as she grabbed her purse.

Rarity frowned a bit. “Well Twilight, it might not be for the best to go see Applejack right now.”

It was Twilights turn to frown. “What? Why not? I haven’t seen her in years! Can she be that busy that she can’t even say hi?”

Fluttershy finally stepped forward to talk, seeing as Pinkie was being oddly quiet and Rarity was having a hard time formulating what she wanted to say. “A-Applejack isn’t how you remember Twilight.” the girl said meekly “She’s changed a lot. She doesn’t do anything with us anymore, n-not that she needs to, but what happened wasn’t her fault.”

“What happened? What do you mean what happened?” Twilight asked, sensing something was off.

“I-it’s not our place to say darling, you can absolutely visit Sweet Apple Acres but we’re just warning you of what to expect of our old friend Applejack.” Rarity piped in as Fluttershy backed away from Twilight a bit.

“I guess I’ll pay her a visit then. If you can’t say anything I’ll find out for myself.” Twilight said as she tugged on her coat. “Do you three mind keeping Spike company?” she asked, not even waiting for an answer as she walked out of the house.

“Oh dear, I hope everything will be ok.” Rarity said to no one specific.


Twilight made her way across town, having memorized the way to the farm years prior. Her breath was visible in the cold air and she could hear the snow crunch beneath her boots. ‘What could possibly have happened that would cause Applejack to distance herself from everybody?’ she thought to herself as she saw a sign with the farms name in the distance. ‘She was one of the most honest and loyal people I knew growing up.’

She crossed the threshold that led into the farm and walked the stone path that lead to a modest house which acted as the home for one of her oldest friends. She knocked three times and heard a few footsteps before the door was pulled open from the other side.

In front of her stood a woman, easily a half-foot bigger than she, with long blonde hair tied in a ponytail. Her cheeks were adorned with freckles that lead down her neck and no doubt her chest. She wore a red flannel shirt, blue jeans, boots and a stetson atop her head.

“Well if it isn’t Twilight Sparkle.” she said in the same country accent Twilight remembered. “Ah heard you was coming back today. Sorry ah couldn’t see you arrive.”

“Applejack, it’s great to finally see you again! Yea, we missed you at the station so I had to come see you in person.You aren’t too busy now are you? Hows the family by the way?” Twilight asked, happy to finally see her friend again.

“The family is doing fine Twilight, thanks for asking. I am a might bit tired though. Would you mind if we caught up some other time?” Applejack asked, forcing a smile onto her face.

This wasn’t missed by Twilight, who also noticed how the farm-girls eyes also seemed to broadcast a message of sadness. “Applejack, are you ok? I was talking to the girls earlier and they said that y-”

“I’m fine Twilight.” Applejack abruptly cut her off. “Now please, if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to rest a bit.”

“O-ok then Applejack. I guess I’ll see you around then?” Twilight replied, feeling a bit of the anger from Applejacks tone.

Applejack sighed. “Yea, sure. Welcome home, see ya around.” she said before she stepped back into the house and closed the door.

Twilight stood there for a few seconds, a debate going on in her mind. The budding psychologist in her wanted to have her friend sit down and explain what was going on, but rational thinking told her it just wasn’t the time. With a sigh, she turned and began making her way towards her new home, her mind overflowing with thoughts on what was wrong with her friend.


Applejack leaned against her door and sighed. She knew she was a bit too hard on Twilight but it just came out and she couldn’t help it. She stood back up and grabbed the coat hanging from the door. It was a bit old, but still did its job just fine. She opened the door and stepped out, taking a deep breath of cold air.

The blonde began making her way around to the back of her family's home, her thoughts a jumbled mess, but what else was new? As she rounded the corner of the house, a large empty area came into view. There was nothing but snow and a solitary headstone around. She walked right up the the stone and knelt down to wipe the snow away and reveal a name and two sets of dates.

She placed her hand on the name inscribed on the stone. “Hey, it’s me again. Do you remember that friend ah told you about a few years back? The really smart girl who got the scholarship to study in Canterlot? Well, she came back today. Ah know it should be a happy moment, getting to see her after so long and all, but ah can’t help it. It just reminded me that the world is still spinning, and everybody is moving on with their lives, and ah just can’t.” her voice began to quiver as she held back tears, her free arm wrapped around her stomach in an attempt to stay warm. “Ah can’t move on knowing you’re not gonna be there taking the steps with me, and that kills me more than ah thought was possible...ah just miss you so much Rainbow.” she said as she removed her hand from the gravestone to wipe away the tears that now streamed from her eyes.

She stood there a few moments longer, she wasn’t sure if it was because she wasn’t ready to leave yet or because she was hoping for some sort of response. But she knew nothing would happen, so she wiped her eyes once more, stood up, and made her way back home.

Author's Note:

Ok so here we have the introduction of our other characters. This chapter is basically the core to what the entire story is all about, so I hope you enjoy it!