• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 3,511 Views, 27 Comments

Maud Watches the Triplets - Tennis Match Fan



Maud Pie foalsits her younger sisters while their parents are out.

  • ...
1
 27
 3,511

Maud Watches the Triplets

Author's Note:

I purposely used periods were there were usually exclamation points, to emphasize Maud's bland speech. Remember to read in an expressionless voice, like Maud!

Maud Pie poked at a sedimentary rock partially embedded in the ground.

"This one needs more air," she noted in her usual dull voice. She gently picked it up and moved it several inches. Maud sniffed at it again.

"Good," she judged. She turned around just in time to see her mother, Cloudy Quarts, come out of the house.

"Maud!" She called solemnly. "Come in." Maud began walking to Cloudy in her usual slow paced fashion.

"A little faster, dear," Cloudy added impatiently. Maud didn't change her expression. She started walking faster. She was at her mother's side in the next second.

"Maud, Igneous and I are going to the Baltimare Rock Farmers' Convention," Cloudy explained. "We expect you to take care Marble, Limestone, and Pinkamena until we return. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Maud replied. In her head, she thought, Oh my goodness, I'm going to watch my sisters on my own.

"Good." Cloudy peered over her glasses at Maud. "Let's go fetch Igneous, shall we?" Maud nodded. Cloudy walked to the base of the stairs and called, "Igneous! We're ready!"

"Coming!" Igneous Rock replied, descending the stairs wearing a fresh tie and hat.

"Remember to feed the girls, and let them move around a little bit," he instructed. "Change their diapers and soon as possible. Keep them in the Nursery at all times. Especially watch for Pinkamena. She has a tendency to try and wander away.

"We're counting on you, Maud," he reminded Maud, patting her straight lavender mane. "Be safe."

"Goodbye," Maud said from the front porch as she watched her parents leave. When they were out of sight, Maud turned and climbed the stairs to the Nursery.

Maud had rarely been aloud to enter the Nursery. In fact, she had barely seen her sisters at all since their birth six moons ago. Maybe her parents were overprotective of them. Maybe they didn't want to have the Triplets know Maud. Maud didn't know the exact reason she hadn't been aloud in.

"Hello," she said to the sleeping fillies. "Are you alright?" They didn't respond.

"They're asleep," Maud told herself. "Sleeping ponies won't respond to you." She stepped back and looked at each of the fillies.

The first one, Marble Pie, was light grey with straight grey hair that fell on the left side of her face.

The second foal, Limestone Pie, was greyish-purple. Or maybe it was greyish-blue. Her pale grey hair was spread across her face, creating straight bangs.

The third foal was, in Maud's opinion, the cutest. Pinkamena Pie was light pink with a bright fuchsia mane. As she breathed in and out, Pinkamena's mane puffed up and deflated. She slept with a smile on her snout, unlike her sisters, who wore blank expressions.

As Maud watched, Pinkamena opened her eyes. Maud was startled to see they were bright blue, like the sky when it wasn't cloudy. The only other pony Maud had seen with eyes like that was Nana Pinkie.

She is adorable, Maud thought. Suddenly, Pinkamena started crying.

"WAAAAH!" She wailed. Maud rushed up.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, her voice a teensy bit higher than normal. "I can get you a bottle. Please don't wake your sisters, Pinkamena."

"WAAAAH!" Limestone screeched. Maud turned her head.

"Not you too," she commented. Maud lifted Limestone out of her crib, and then Pinkamena. Pinkamena immediately stopped crying and looked content. Limestone continued crying, though.

"Gurg," Marble added from her crib. Maud set her down on the floor next to Limestone and Pinkamena. Limestone lowered her crying to a small whimper.

"Let me get you a bottle," Maud said, her voice at its normal pitch now. She walked out of the Nursery and closed the door. Maud went to the kitchen and found three bottles in the cupboard. Maud filled them with water and baby formula. After mixing them, Maud carefully carried them back up to the Nursery and set them down on the floor.

"Here you go," she told the Triplets nonchalantly. "Drink up." Limestone drank her bottle immediately. Marble looked at it for a little bit, blinking every three seconds. Finally, she popped it in her mouth and began drinking.

Pinkamena was a different matter. She scrunched her nose at the bottle.

"No!" She cried. Maud stared at her.

"Are you not hungry?" Maud asked. Pinkamena screamed and kicked the bottle. Maud picked up the bottle. It had a small crack at the top.

"Pinkamena, you broke the bottle," Maud said. "That was very naughty. You should say that you are sorry." Pinkamena looked sorry when she heard the reproach.

"Sowry," she muttered. Maud patted her mane.

"I know, Pinkamena. Stay here while I put this in the trash." Pinkamena nodded. Maud went downstairs and carefully poured our the mixture into a separate bottle. She gently took the broken bottle and put it in the trash can.

"The bottles should be made of rock," Maud commented to herself, "so they won't break." Maud took the new bottle upstairs. When she opened the door, Limestone scrambled up to her.

"Here." Maud gave here the bottle. "Where are Pinkamena and Marble?" Limestone shrugged.

"Boo!" Maud's eyes widened slightly when she heard a voice above her. She looked up to see Pinkamena hanging upside down with a mischievous smile on her face."

"Careful, Pinkamena," Maud told her. "You almost spooked me. Good job." Pinkamena giggled.

"Now, where is Marble?" She continued. Pinkamena giggled and scurried under her crib.

"Now isn't the time for games," Maud told Pinkamena sternly. "Help me find Marble Pie." Suddenly, there was a crash from downstairs. Pinkamena giggled, and Limestone looked up from her bottle.

"Gah?" She asked. "Mawble?"

"You stay here," Maud told Pinkamena and Limestone. She galloped downstairs, afraid her sister might be in danger.

When Maud looked into the kitchen, she found Marble with a pot on her head. Maud rushed forward to remove the pot. Marble looked sad.

"Marble, you have to stay in the Nursery," Maud told her in her monotonous voice. "Your mom and dad told me so." Marble gave a whimper. Maud patted her mane and carried her back upstairs.

"More bowle," Limestone demanded when Maud got back. Maud shook her head

"No, Limestone, you've already had two bottles. Do you need to have your diaper changed?" Limestone shook her head.

"Let me see," Maud said. Limestone shook her head.

"Limey lie," Pinkamena commented. Maud looked at her, and then at Limestone.

"What is wrong?" Maud asked Limestone. "I won't hurt you." Limestone made a whining noise. Maud stared at her. Limestone shrank under her gaze.

Maud stared.

~

After Limestone's diaper was changed, Maud brought up a scrapbook.

"There's Nana Pinkie," Maud said, showing the Triplets a picture of their pegasus grandma holding up a rock. Pinkamena giggled.

"That's right, Pinkamena," Maud said sullenly. "She has your eyes.

"I have an idea," Maud added. "We should nickname you Pinkie." Pinkamena's mane puffed out.

"Pinkie it is. Pinkie Pie. Now look, there's Dad showing off his latest boulder." Limestone gurgled. Marble said, "Pia."

~

When the Triplets were in bed, Maud slept in a chair in the corner of the room. Before she drifted off to dream about sedimentary rocks, Maud gave a small smile.

~

The next day, Maud stood on the front porch, waiting for Cloudy and Igneous to return.

"Hello," she said when they came.

"Are the foals alright?" Cloudy asked anxiously. Maud nodded.

"I gave Pinkie a bottle, changed Marble's diaper, and put them to sleep with Limestone," Maud replied. Cloudy and Igneous looked at her curiously.

"Pinkie, you say?" Igneous asked. "As in, Pinkamena?"

"I gave her a nickname, after Nana Pinkie," Maud replied nonchalantly. Cloudy and Igneous looked at each other.

"Alright," they said finally. After her parents rushed into the house, Maud gave another smile.

Comments ( 27 )

I purposely used periods were there were usually periods

Wut? :rainbowhuh:

4307703 In one of her thoughts, Maud says something like "I'm finally going to watch my sisters." Normally that would be spoken with enthusiasm, but Maud doesn't do enthusiasm, so I put a period. And I wrote about it in the Author's notes to clarify it wasn't a typo.

So cuuuuuuute!!! :rainbowkiss::pinkiesmile::yay:

:rainbowlaugh: This was adorable! Well done!

4612517 Thank you! :pinkiehappy: I'll always consider this my best work, even if other stories have gained more popularity. :twilightsmile:

I liked it! :pinkiehappy:

I consider this kinda like the episode "Baby Cakes" just with Maud instead of her sister.

Once again, good work! Keep it up! :twilightsmile:

Daw, but it could do with a bit more detail in places. :rainbowkiss:

he hehe hehehe HE HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Very cute!
Really liked the how "Pinkamena" got her nickname "Pinkie" Clever! :yay:

Not much in the way of detail, you misspelled quartz, and you used aloud when you meant allowed.

Like the many people in the comments section below, I really, like really like this story! :pinkiehappy: The premise was great, the pacing was great, filly Maud and the other foal Pies were great, everything was great! :yay:

5700717 No problem! :pinkiehappy:

... I haven't given you a watch yet? :rainbowhuh: Time to fix that! :raritywink:

5700726 And no problemo as well! :twilightsmile:

This was really good, it brought a smile to my face :pinkiehappy:

Maud being a great big sister has always been something that I've enjoyed. :pinkiehappy:

This was a really cute story, great work.

Awesome one shot

Login or register to comment