• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 10,069 Views, 1,229 Comments

How Hard Could it Be? - Richardson



The Cutie Mark Crusaders need a Tutor, Celestia Needs a Vacation, and Luna needs some Respect. How Hard Could it Be?

  • ...
42
 1,229
 10,069

6.7

6.7

Silver Spoon only had one thing on her mind: it was all hopeless, so hopeless. The foals had all forgotten who they had looked up to, and then they decided to hate her forever for her friend Diamond trying to help them learn their places. Worst was, she couldn’t understand why. Why didn’t Diamond know her place? She had to have! She had to have, and now she was gone.

And now she was alone, up on a dark fire escape balcony in a back alley of Ponyvile, hoping that no-pony would find her. Hiding in a shadow, shivering against the cold and hungry breeze of the coming winter. She had heard that Dash was fighting to keep winter away for some reason, but that didn’t make much sense at all. Still, it didn’t help as the cold wind of the north tugged and twisted against her wet and matted fur and mane. Sticky juice had ruined them both for the day, staining her purple-pink in a mockery of her friend. Some icky colt had decided to pour the grape juice—not even Ponyvile apple juice!—all over her after she had tried to help him find his place for the day.

The worst part was—maybe she deserved it. What if she was a horrible pony, like they said? It wasn’t wrong to try and help ponies find their place for harmony, was it? No. She couldn’t be evil, or no better than Discord. She had to be right, right? Wasting her life on trying to find her Daddy’s rightness like she wanted to.

Just a mean pony, who’s special talent was making ponies miserable. She was, wasn’t she?

Fright gripped her as cans clattered further down the alley, kicked along the length of the housing complex to crash into glass bottles after skittering on cobblestone. Oh, no. Some-pony had found her, and was going to be mad at her, and why did she stay in town if this was the best place she could find? Oh, Celestia, she was in trouble! She could- she could shift further back into the shadow, curl up to show as little of herself as she could! Yeah, and then run away over whoever it was that was coming to be horrible to her!

A cardboard box crumpled under the weight of some-pony moving, crushing in a rustle of wetness from a prematurely placed icicle. She knew the box, it was up on her side of the alleyway, closer to her than the can pile. Something was coming for her. It was stalking her! Making her scared and tormenting her! Oh, why had she hidden in the alleyway instead of going home? Her daddy would have only spanked her raw for getting so messy and missing a few hours of school.

Temptations tugged at her from all angles. The urge to rage at whomever wanted to make her more miserable, to fight and strike back until she could be left alone for the day. The urge to run away, to try and climb the adult-sized ladder to try and escape over the roofs. The terror that screamed in her ears, which made her want to curl up into a ball until she turned into a little ball that no-pony would ever recognize and never-ever stop. And, there was a bit of morbid curiosity, driving a bit of her to want to take a look at her approaching doom. It’d never see if she just barely peeked over the edge of the platform, right?

No, it wasn’t doom, it was a foal. Just a foal. It had to be another foal, who else could it be?

Just, some-pony else she had wronged who was coming to look to have a bit of revenge on her for working her part in the world. Some-pony who didn’t like their place coming for her now that Diamond wasn’t there to shield her anymore. Why hadn’t she protested Diamond’s methods more when she had the chance? Oh, right. Diamond had been her only friend, the only pony who had wanted to talk to her. Was the only pony who dared to talk to her after the time she had brought Truffle home.

But that was then, and the shaking of the platform as her stalker reached it became the now. Cast iron wasn’t a quiet substance, and the ladder began ringing like a tuning fork as whoever was stalking her yanked it back down from where Silver had pulled it up behind her. Ringing, humming, shaking, rattling back and forth! The motions shook the balcony with such force that Silver curled up on herself in fear that the whole fire escape would give way.

Below her, an inequine snarl ripped through the musty air, a yelp of pain, a kick of fury smacking against the brick wall. Then, ringing again. Heavy hoof-steps, crashing against the ladder with resounding force as her stalker started climbing. Thump, after thump, after thump; a rhythm of fear that made Silver Spoon’s heart race against her ribcage and made her hooves wriggle her curled up form backwards in a scoot of terror until her spoon-emblazed rump smushed itself against the soot-stained brick behind her. The ladder rang again, and again; shaking ever more, as if a great weight was upon it. It was a futile gesture, hiding her head under her hooves, but with no way to get the fire escape door open it was her only option left.

Clang. Whimper.

Clang! Whimper!

CLANG! WHIMPER!

“Hey-HIYAH!” Sunbeam crowed as she popped her dirty, wet head over the edge of the fire escape balcony. She climbed a little further, letting her sprained wing rest against the cold metal of the iron as she propped her twisted ankle up on the platform. Hurt like the dickens after she had slipped in the icy mud puddle near that stupidly placed box. She might be immortal, but that wasn’t going to stop her traitorous ankle from swelling up like a cupcake when it got hurt. “Silver Spoon? They told me you came down here. Silver? Silver?”

Funny, it was the only place a foal could-oh dear. Well, best to put on her best Pinkie-smile and stand her ears up happily to let Silver know everything was alright. Poor dear must have been startled senseless by all the commotion of her slipping around. Certainly, Silver looked rather silly now that she saw her. “Oh dear, I hope I didn’t scare you, Silver.”

Hmm, that wasn’t good at all. She wasn’t even shivering, the cold should at least… oh, no. Awkward scrambling on Sunbeam’s part slowly pulled her up onto the balcony a little further, closing the distance between her outstretched fore-hoof and the curled up foal. A poke into the side was alarming. No bleating, no squirming in fear, or softly squishing under the press. There was a stiffness, and a coolness to Silver’s body. Still breathing, but shallowly beneath her hoof.

No, no, no! Not good, how long had she been out in the cold soaking wet? She must have become hypothermic from the wind! Where could she-hospital! Yes, forget the twist, use the wing!

---------------------------------------------------

It wasn’t the nice smell of fruity soap that woke her. Nor was it the motherly humming just over her hear, or the gentle but firm scrubbing of her mane that woke Silver Spoon from her slumber. It was the warmth, all around her, sloshing against her, pressing through her fur up to her chin. Wait, hang on. Was she in water?

Rushing back to her like a Dash-crash came consciousness, jolting her in shock as her senses overloaded as they all tried to report at once. Too much, just too-agh! She yelped and flailed like a fish out of water as she tried to get away from all the stimulation, clawing at the first solid object she could find. She was halfway out of the hot, sudsy water and climbing over the side of the tub in her panic before the scrubbing hooves had a chance to react. It didn’t last, however, as they came back upon her in the next second and dragged her flailing form carefully back into the water as one set in particular clutched her to an especially soft chest.

A nuzzling muzzle nudged her soaped-up ear, whispering hushing noises to her. Silver’s struggles subsided as she was subjected to the treatment. It felt safe, safer than she would have imagined. She couldn’t figure out why, even as she leaned up against the hard edge of the chin. It was like… warmth was a pony and telling her it was going to be alright.

But that was silly. Princess Celestia had lost her place and had disappeared, probably into the east.

“Easy now, Silver Spoon. You’re at Ponyvile General Hospital. You’re alright, you’re safe.” Whispered the gentle adult voice from just above her ear. Her comforter’s words slowed the rocketing race of her heart with the reassurances of safety. Sunbeam, it was Miss Sunbeam there. But—why?

Silver tried to look up to the big pegasus’s face, squinting through the fog of her blurry vision to fuzzily resolve the barest features of her teacher’s face. Ngh, her glasses must have been put aside somewhere. It hurt, trying to see without them. Her vision had never really recovered, and even—was that Nurse Redheart there—right, Redheart coming up to her with what was probably a sudsy loofa was just a set of colored blurs that fairly well resembled the outlines of a pony. Great, just a little invalid getting a sponge bath on top of being a worthless pony who deserved all her troubles.

Silver’s gaze slowly drifted across the room as her mane and ears were scrubbed down, indistinctly making out the distorted outlines of shelves and maybe the glint of the creamy tile patterns going up to Celestia’s height on the walls. Sloshing water was splashed up, gurgling in her ears as they drained, trickling down the sides of her head in hot rivulets. It all made her sleepy again, made her want to give into the cold trickle in her tummy and rest her chin on the ceramic side of the therapy tub. Made her want to just go back to sleep again and closer her eyes. It’d be nice.

Miss Sunbeam’s massive hoof and foreleg curled up underneath and around her chest to pull her back up from the brink of slipping down into the tub; wrapping her up with the same kind of squeezing hug Fluttershy’s pet snake had until she couldn’t slip away again. “Hang on there, Silver Spoon. Stay awake. You were getting too cold up on the balcony, and fell asleep from hypothermia. We’re warming you up, but you need to stay alert.”

“Dangerously cold.” Nurse Redheart growled in annoyance as she continued to scrub at Silver’s mane. “What were you doing, waiting there on that balcony in wet fur? You didn’t think to go home and warm up?” The hospital nurse had grown grumpier and grumpier over the past few years from the antics of Princess Sparkle and her friends, and dealing with the Crusaders. Silver sleepily pondered on the nurse, wondering if Redheart might have gotten dragged out of her home to deal with her. She didn’t want to cause problems.

“Wasn’t waiting for any-pony.” Silver haphazardly mumbled as she let herself be hugged closer to Sunbeam’s chest. T’was good, the big cuddly-fluffy warmth; just about perfect for sleeping against.

Redheart pulled Silver’s head back from Sunbeam’s side to keep scrubbing. “What about Diamond Tiar-What?” Redheart’s annoyed inquisition was interrupted by what felt like Sunbeam furiously shaking her head to get her to drop it. “Fine, any-pony else? What about home>”

“No.” Silver yawned tiredly, just wanting to go to sleep. “Just waiting for the day to end so daddy will let me stop ‘socializing.’ Do I have to be here?” Silver listlessly asked as her unbound mane slowly slipped from atop her head and pooled spread-out on the water like floating mercury.

“Yes, Silver.” Redheart grumbled, probably rolling her eyes. Silver was too busy staring at the inside of her eyelids to tell. “Your core body temperature was dangerously low when Miss Sunbeam found you. Even air temperatures like today in the mid-forties can be dangerous with wet fur if you’re not dried off quickly or brought to shelter. Why didn’t you do either if you didn’t want to go home?”

Sunbeam’s body jerked around Silver repeatedly. It felt like her other foreleg, or maybe a wing whipping outwards and poking some-pony repeatedly. Silver’s thoughts and senses were oscillating between being fuzzy and clear, but she’s swear she heard: “Ixnay, Ixnay, Ixnay!” With the hissing words, Silver could swear she could hear the gentle heartbeat and rush of blood within Sunbeam’s chest roar louder, a roar which came over a pulsating heartbeat pounding like her own might when she was angry or embarrassed. Was it? Maybe it was her own, she was too sleepy to tell if it came from within or without. Or maybe she should wakeup a little more—yeah, that’d be nice. Eventually.

Redheart’s voice came back to Silver’s free ear once more, the nurse trying to sound reassuring and failing miserably because of the content of her message. “I’ll have to have a talk with your father about that, Silver Spoon.”

It was a little-known fact that pony ears were only semi-consciously controlled. While the normal manner of folding the ears back was a partial reflex to protect ears from harm during periods or excessive bodily stress, the exact position of the ear was controlled by many sets of small muscles that bunched and twisted to move the cartilage of the flexible sound-peepers. The exact position could be determined by examining the bunching of the muscles beneath the mane.

On the other hoof was the folding that occurred when all the muscles controlling the ears position relaxed. Under extreme apathy gravity takes over instead of muscular control, slowly pulling the tips of the ears down in a sad-looking droop. Under this condition, ears sort of flatly splay outwards instead of backwards behind the head, just as Silver could feel her free ear doing as she processed the realization that her father was going to know everything. He was going to be so disappointed. “Okay. Yes, ma’am.” There was little life to her words, just a hollow acknowledgement.

It sounded like Redheart was tripping over her words and trying to say something else to her in reassurance. But, any attempt was cut off as Sunbeam cleared her throat loudly and pulled Silver out of the water in a jerking motion, waking the foal back from her apathetic sleepy semi-nap. The matronly schoolteacher held Silver up over the tub, letting her sudsy and sodden form drip limply from her grasp over the water for a minute or two. “There, there. Let’s get you dried off and into some blankets now that you’re warm and clean. You’ll start losing heat again if you stay in longer.”

There were the telltale signs of a growl being suppressed in the quiver of Redheart’s hooves for a moment before the nurse suppressed it with all the decorum imparted by her training. “Oh, yes. Let’s.” She backed up to the towel pile, never taking her eye off the filly until she had to turn her head in order to pick up a stack of towels with a firm bite. Redheart suspected that something was off in the way Sunbeam was treating the filly. She was acting strange, like she was blaming herself for something.

Silver was rather quickly and forcefully cocooned in a great pile of towels that were wrapped again and again around her until only the tip of her nose and tail escaped the white, fluffy smothering. The blanketing bindings were several layers deep, quickly baking her radiating heat back into her until she woke up again fully. Then came the rubbing and scratching at her ears, blanketing out sound in the rustle of fluffy towels.

She knew what they were doing; trying to argue without letting the ‘impressionable filly’ hear. Her daddy and mommy had done it once or twice, and so had daddy and Mr. Rich when Diamond’s daddy had been arguing with hers over whether she or Diamond was the ‘bad influence.’ Those had been bad months, too. It had been just after Diamond had gotten her cutie mark showing that she was supposed to lead every-pony. The foals had started complaining to their daddies about her and Diamond taking their places that their cutie marks said they were supposed to.

Soft fluffiness tugged at her face and filled her mouth with the bland taste of cotton as Sunbeam grew more and more distracted with her argument. Silver wasn’t a little foal who couldn’t handle the truth anymore, and she wasn’t going to put up with the soft touch all around her trying to treat her like a badly soldered bracelet some-pony was afraid to handle.

Her hooves went up, fighting their way through her cocoon to bat the offending towels from her face. Cold nearly made her give up again as it rushed in to fill the void, but she fought back the shiver long enough to curl her legs over the towels at her front and force them down and away. An uncomfortable silence reigned for a moment as she looked at the blurs that were the two adults in her vision; each quiet, ashamed, and maybe just a little bit sad.

She didn’t know why. They were probably talking about the way the foals had treated her. The foals were probably right, anyway. That was it, they were picking on her for overstepping her place, as she was supposed to assist Tiara, not lead in her natural leader friend’s place. Silver put on a halfway decent scowl as she complained about the treatment. “You know that trick is horrible, and doesn’t work. Right?”

A grumble of annoyance was Sunbeam’s first response, and Redheart’s second after what looked like a glare being shot at her plus-sized assistant. Softer towel-wrapped hoof-strokes began to be applied by Sunbeam, carefully using soft and sliding pressure to press down the ragged tufts of Silver’s ruffled fur and mane into a sleek blue-grey coating. Still dull with neglect, but it was a hint of her normal self.

Sunbeam slowly scooted around behind Silver once more, using the excuse of rubbing her dry to get around the filly. The great curtain of her wings jerkily and slowly swept around Silver Spoon, wrapping around her in a twitching way until they pulled tight and pressed her up against the laying form of the large Pegasus, and up against Sunbeam’s soft chest again. “Nurse Redheart and I were just discussing how best to help you, Silver Spoon.” She whispered into Silver’s ear, letting the curl of her neck warm the grey filly’s back. “I know you don’t have many—any—friends right now, so I was planning on helping you make some more.” She wrapped the towels higher again around Silver, wrapping the filly up to her chin while shooting another pointed look at Redheart.

Why did she care? “They’re just jealous of Diamond being a leader pony. I tried to fill her hoof-shoes, and I’m not one, so they all got mad at me.” Silver flatly stated, like some-pony talking about the periodic table. Uncomfortable silence ruled over the room as she snuggled into the blankets.

Maybe Sunbeam was just trying to make her words, judging from the way her chest could be felt working against Silver’s back, and the way the little pops of lips smacking against each other went on and on. Most ponies had a hard time reacting to a filly learning the way the world worked, so it wasn’t surprising to know that she had issues, too. “That—that’s not how it works, Silver Spoon. Diamond wasn’t a ‘leader pony,’ there’s no such thing.” Sunbeam’s wing gestured rather rudely at Redheart, who shook her head and held up her hooves, wanting no further part in the discussion and stayed well back.

“What about the princesses? They’re leader ponies! You can see it, they’re different!” Silver protested loudly. The difference was so easy to see, most adults accepted when they saw it for themselves. “It’s just like them!”

Both adults recoiled a little, and for a moment Silver wondered why they had such a hard time with it. Was she wrong? No, she couldn’t be. It was a truth, and she had seen it with her own eyes!

“Silver Spoon, the princesses weren’t born leaders, they don’t have leadership cutie marks, and their alicornhood isn’t something just given to them. They earned it for being talented beyond belief in their own special talents, more than any other pony ever could be.” Sunbeam tried to reply, hoping Silver Spoon would see reason as she finally understood just a hint of what had made Diamond so toxic. It wasn’t much use, as the filly squirmed out of her towel cocoon to take a stand.

Redheart snorted as she decided to keep her big mouth shut. The nurse headed over to the door, well past the point of wanting to even bothering to try arguing with the wayward foal. Silver Spoon wasn’t ever going to change, and she clearly didn’t have a clue what her views were actually endorsing. Cleaning up enough scattered towels to make a pegasus nest would keep her busy until Sunbeam got it through her head to stop trying. Silver was a lost cause, even if her physical situation could be helped a little. Huh, there were Silver’s glasses; she probably would need them.

Meanwhile, Silver tried to step up her defenses once more as she stood atop her former towel wrappings in a pitifully ruffled state. “That’s not true! Diamond’s daddy told her for a while that she was destined to lead! The only reason he stopped was because her cutie mark came in and proved it!” Silver shouted, glaring up at the blur that was probably Sunbeam’s face, judging from the movements of the old pegasus. “What about Princess Cadance? Princess Sparkle!? Both of them have cutie marks in leadership!”

“You mean special talents in love and friendship?” Sunbeam wryly corrected, poking Silver in the nose. Silver wrinkled and scrunched her nose in confusion as she was firmly pressed downwards into the towels. It was almost like Sunbeam was mad at her for pointing out the places of Princess Celestia’s best students. What nonsense did they teach ponies up in Canterlot? Would they—twist Diamond into some silly pony who didn’t understand ponies places anymore? Everything cleared as Redheart slipped Silver’s glasses back onto her face, and the filly recoiled a little further as she saw that Sunbeam wasn’t angry and scowling, but sad; mournful even. “Don’t tell me that you think that the sisters have destinies to lead. Please. Luna’s special talent is managing the celestial spheres and walking amongst the dreams. Celestia’s is helping ponies grow. Neither of those are leadership, Silver Spoon.”

“Yes they are! Can’t you see it?” Silver loudly despaired, wondering why the personal follower of the princesses had such trouble understanding how things worked; why Sunbeam looked like she wanted to cry; why she cringed so badly.

Said cringe deepened as Sunbeam stepped back from the towels, deepened further as she looked away from Silver; almost like she wanted to cry a little. Even Redheart behind Silver took notice as Sunbeam’s voice wavered a little as she next spoke with solemn words. “Silver Spoon, the princesses all learned how to lead from horrible, painful experience. None of them were born innately better. They all made mistakes, too. Nightmare Moon, the Crystal Empire. Other things.”

Sunset Shimmer.

“Diamond Tiara is going to learn just like they did, just as painfully as the lessons taught to the princesses. The same lessons Twilight, Princess Celestia, and I are trying to teach the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“W-what? They’re not leader ponies!” Silver knew that Princess Sparkle was taking pity on the trio, but the idea that Princess Celestia might was scandalous. It was crazy talk!

“No-pony is. Not until they learn to be. But, any-pony can have a special talent that could lead to that position. Just like the Crusaders all have unrealized special talents that will make them very special; that push them to learn a great deal, and in the process might teach them to take up leadership and train them to do so. It isn’t a pony’s cutie mark, or body that makes them a leader. It’s what they do with themselves that does.” Sunbeam retorted; quietly, patiently, lovingly. She rubbed her chin in a way that looked suspiciously like some-pony rubbing their runny nose while trying to pass it off as a thoughtful chin-rub. Sunbeam turned her head towards somewhere out of sight—maybe the Crusader’s clubhouse—then turned her gaze back to her with a piercing inspection that made Silver feel very small indeed; almost like she was being stared at by the sun.

She felt miserably confused, with mental whiplash as she tried to make sense of what Sunbeam had said and what her daddy had said. She couldn’t be wrong, her daddy couldn’t be wrong. Diamond wasn’t wrong, she had shown her after getting taught! “No, no you can’t be right. You—you have to be wrong. My daddy would let me hang out with them if they were important!”

“Then let’s go talk with your daddy, then, Silver Spoon.”