• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 1,622 Views, 36 Comments

Heart Without a Beat - BronzeUnicorn



White Mark has been on his own for as long as he can remember. There wasn't a pony in Equestria that had cared for him at all. But all that would change soon.

  • ...
3
 36
 1,622

Antisocial

Author's Note:

I'm on a role with this story! I've never actually thought a story through, so this will hopefully be the first complete story with more than one chapter! Also, about the 4th of July special, its going to give hints at what is to come later on in the story. I haven't thought of an ending yet, but I'm going to leave room for a possible sequel. Anyways, enough boring news. On with the story! Enjoy!

It started out like any other day since White Mark arrived. Twilight woke up first, making sure the young colt was fine and sleeping well. As she hoped, he was doing just that. She'd snuggle and nuzzle him, making sure he felt loved and cared for. Even if he was still asleep and couldn't truly thank her for it.

Everything was fine until the poor colt woke up to see Twilight as the monster again. He started to scream before the lavender alicorn pressed her horn to his, calming his mind and easing the tension out of his muscles. He relaxed after that, sighing in contentment and thanking her for it in a light, barely audible whisper. She just kissed his forehead, smiling brightly at him for his assurance.

They both gradually got out of bed and ready for the day. White Mark brushed his teeth, took a short shower, and made himself presentable for the plans for the day. Twilight had said she was taking him out to eat for brunch, then to the park, so he wanted to look as normal as possible.

The only thing was that his caretaker was taking a long time to get ready. He decided to read one of the books from the series that Rainbow Dash had suggested. He grabbed the first book and began reading. A few moments later, or what only seemed like moments, he found himself looking at the clock on the wall. It was well past time to leave and he was half way done with the book alreayd! And Twilight still wasn't out! It was time to see what she was up to!

Laying the book on the coffee table, he hopped off the couch and trotted toward the stairs. Something suddenly caught his ears. Stopping fully, he listened carefully for any kind of sound. It was a scratching against something somewhat hard. Quill to parchment, maybe? It was hard to tell. So, listening closely, he followed the sound up the stairs and behind the door to the alicorn's room. He slowly opened it with a light creak.

Peeking in, he saw his caretaker sitting at her desk with her focus on writing something. His suspicions had been correct that she was using a quill and parchment. That was easy to tel, but the real question was, what was she writing about? Letting his curiosity get the better of him, he slowly walked across the room, being as quiet as he could. He stopped when he noticed the writer hesitate. "Hey, White Mark." She let out, continuing her writing.

"H-How did you know it was me?" He asked, sounding surprised.

"Well, knowing you're the only other pony in the library and that you have a distinct shuffle to your hooves as you walk, its easy to tell when you're coming." She remarked without looking up from her work.

"Oh." He said, sounding slightly dejected before perking back up when the alicorn finished writing. "What were you writing about and what took you so long? Its way past the time you wanted to leave." White Mark began, hoping to finally get some answers.

"The letter that I was writing will have to wait until later and I took a shower, brushed my teeth, mane, and tail, and overall made myself presentable as you did. I'm sorry for taking so long, but I had to get this letter finished and sent." As she said the last part, she tied up the letter with a ribbon and sealed it with what looked to be her seal. Smiling as she noticed the colt's astonished stare, she sent the wrapped parchment away in a small puff of magic.

"That was aweomse! Can I learn that sometime?" The colt asked after a moment's hesitation.

The lavender mare smiled at him as she levitated her saddlebags onto her before answering, "Of course! I'd love to add that spell to the ones I'm going to teach you." White Mark beamed at that, jumping in the air with joy. "Well, come on! Let's go before we skip brunch." The colt just nodded and followed as she led him down the stairs and through the door to his favorite restuarnt.


"So, wait. The Princess of Equestria wants to see me?" The white colt asked after swallowing a few bites of his grilled hay and daisy sandwich.

"She wants to see you because she wants to test your magic ability." The lavender alicorn answered, trying to explain it as clear as possible.

"But, I haven't even graduated regular school. Why would she want to test me, if I haven't even completed that yet?" He asked, completely confused now. The mare had already explained that the letter she had written was to her assistent who had been away on royal business. The letter had concluded that he was to stay in Canterlot to meet up with them and they would take him home with them. Now, however, she was trying to explain the reasoning of the trip aside from what was already explained.

"Its because she wants to see if you'll be able to join her school for gifted unicorns when you're ready. You may be a bit too old, but that doesn't matter. Ability is what matters. Besides, I'll be teaching you what you need to know to graduate and be in her school. That's if you pass her test." White Mark began to look nervous until the alicorn added on, "Of course you'll pass, though! I've seen your part of your ability and there's no way you'll fail!" He smiled at that before going back to eating.

A comfortable silence surrounded the two as they finished their meals, both satisfied and content as they left the establishment. Walking a few blocks from it, Twilight decided to take a detour and head to the park. It seemed like the colt was a bit antisocial, so it seemed like the perfect opertunity to get him out of it.

When they arrived, Twilight took a seat at a bench and gestured to the playground. "Go play. You need to make some friends your own age." She said after the colt's hesitation.

He just stared at the playground and all the colts and filly on and around it before shifting closer to his caretaker. "But... I don't know how to make friends. I've always been afraid to try... What if-"

"Hey, Twilight!" The colt was cut off from a voice shouting from their right. It was unfamiliar to him as he looked to see a gray, yellow maned pegasus mare walking towards them. He shrank away from her until he noticed her shadow. A young unicorn filly, looking to be his age, trotted behind her. She had the same color mane, but slightly lighter coat. Little sister, maybe? He looked away quickly when she met his gaze.

"Oh, hey, Derpy! Didn't expect to see you here." Twilight smiled as the grey mare took a seat beside her, taking up the rest of the bench.

"I just brought Dinky here to play for a bit. I have to leave for work soon and she'll have to go to the foalsitter's, so I figured I'd let her get some energy out before then." She smiled down as the young filly the stood in front of the bench. Her eyes were intently focused on the colt beside Twilight.

"Well, I brought White Mark here to make some friends. He's new in town, so I'm taking care of him for now. Maybe Dinky can play with him while she's here?" Twilight suggested, nudging the colt with her foreleg.

The pegasus thought for a moment, scratching her chin with a hoof. White Mark looked up and gasped, looking at the way the mare's eyes worked. One was staring at the ground, the other was looking at something else entirely. Hearing the gasp, she looked up and noticed the colt's stare. "What, my eyes? I know. They can be a bit distracting at times." Twilight gave the colt a stern glare before the pegasus shook her head. "Don't worry, Twilight. I get that a lot. Anyway, I don't see why these two couldn't play together. how about it dinky?"

The filly grinned and immediately walked over to stand in front of the nervous colt. "Hi, my name's Dinky. What's yours?" She asked politely, warmly smiling at him.

He stayed silent for a moment until he was mudged encouragingly by Twilight. "My name's Wh-White M-Mark." He said shakily. That was all the filly needed to continue, holding out a hoof, with him nervously shaking it with his.

"I like your name! Wanna go play some light catch?" She asked, practically beaming at just the mention. The colt seemed uneasy at hearing it. "Oh, don't worry. I'll teach you how to play. Its easy to learn and one of the safest games ever!" She assured, the smile seemingly ready to take over the world with cuteness. She watched him think it over before nodding slightly and hopping off the bench. The filly trotted happily away, the colt following suit, albeit a little slower.

The two mares on the bench, however seemed content in watching the two. The filly sat down with the colt and began to explain the rules of the game, smiling the whole time. The colt just nodded and listened intently, asking the occasional question. After a few moments, the filly was teaching the colt the spell and how to properly cast it and keep it lit. It didn't take long before they began to toss the ball of light back and forth, both laughing and having a literal ball. Both mares smiled at them, happy to see them playing together.

"They sure are having fun. I kinda wish I could join." The grey mare said with a giggle. Another giggle sounded from the mare beside her.

"Yeah. I could, of course, but they seem happy enough by themselves. its nice to see him smiling. He hasn't had an easy life so far." Twilight said, frowning at the last part.

"Let me guess, he lived in an alley for most of his life?" Derpy guessed, surprisingly spot on. The alicorn just simply nodded, seemingly unfazed by the correct guess.

"Its just hard to imagine what he's wnet through. He isn't even that old and he's seen things that I haven't even thought of or wanted to yet. I already think of him as my own, but..." She just sighed instead of finishing the sentence.

"I can understand that. When I found Dinky, I could take the fact that she'd been abandoned and left on the street. I just took her in in a heart beat and kept her as my own. Now, she seems like the happiest filly in Equestria. If he already means that much to you, then you know what to do." The grey mare but a hoof on the alicorn's shoulder, smiling at her as the mare returned it.

"I was thinking of doing just that, but the laws have changed. When you adopted Dinky, you didn't need to be married to have her. Now, however, you have to be a licensed pair to adopt a foal that's not in foster care. I looked it up this morning when he was reading." Derpy just frowned as lavender mare continued. "I mean... I've never had a relationship before. I've never even thought of having one, especially if it goes above friendship. I don't even know if I'm ready and if anypony is even interested in me... I just..." She sagged on her haunches before being hugged by the grey mare.

"I understand what you're going through, Twilight. You want the colt, but you're not sure if you're ready for a relationship. I can assure you that there is somepony out there for you, but I can't tell you if you'll meet them soon or not. Who knows? Maybe you already know them and you haven't noticed yet?" She suggested, making the frowning mare giggle for a moment. "Just push towards getting him and, before you know it, you'll have him and your special somepony in one happy family." The pegasus pulled back and smiled at her, nodding and letting the thought sync in.

"Thank you, Derpy. That means a lot." The lavender mare perked up and hugged the mare in front of her, smiling at her fortune. "I'll take your advice and push towards having him. I'll think about the relationship thing when it comes up." Both mares smiled to each other before the grey coated one glanced at the town clock.

"Well, I have to go now. I'm glad I was able to help, Twilight. If you need help with the adoption papers, just ask." The mare said, giving one last wave as she walked to her daughter. Twilight watched as White Mark said goodbye to his new friend, watching both leave the park completely.

After watching them go, he trotted back to his caretaker with a smile on his face. "Think you're ready to make some friends now?" She asked, smirking lightly as he nodded and gestured to the playground. "Yes. Go ahead., I'll be right here if you need anything." The colt nodded again before trotting toward the new destination.

Stopping only a few meters away from his destination, White Mark looked around, noticing how everypony was watching him. He shook his head as he moved on, trying his best to keep the panic out of his system. He, soon, reached the playground, only to be surrounded be a bunch of different colts and fillies with conflicting looked of curiousness and disgust. Looking around, his ears twitched at the sound of hoofsteps approaching, follwed by an unfamiliar, rude soudning voice, "Well, well, well. Look what we have here!"