• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 1,622 Views, 36 Comments

Heart Without a Beat - BronzeUnicorn



White Mark has been on his own for as long as he can remember. There wasn't a pony in Equestria that had cared for him at all. But all that would change soon.

  • ...
3
 36
 1,622

Plans

As the sun shown through the light curtains of Princess Twilight's room, she slowly regained her senses to begin the day. She sighed with content as she felt the warmth of the blanket and the small heater next to her. Wait? Small heater? Twilight lifted the covers to find White Mark facing her, cuddling into her chest, and wrapping his small hooves around her mid-section with a content smile upon his lips. Somehow, during the night, they had both moved positions to accommodate the more comfortable position. She decided not to question it and just leaned down and nuzzled him affectionately, making him giggle and turn over in the bed, still half asleep.

Twilight took this opportunity to get out of bed, careful not to wake him, and head downstairs to make breakfast. She knew she had to make it herself since Spike was away in Canterlot on official business. She didn't mind anyway, she knew how to make the basics of a good breakfast. If she didn't, she could just get one of the many cook books in the library to make something to suffice.

She decided to make the colt some as well, which he could have when he finally woke up. He had been exhausted from his outburst that he fell asleep within seconds of hitting the mattress and pillow. Twilight could tell he was still in pain from his injuries, so she needed to apply the pain-killer spell to his cast and bandage again. It didn't work as well on the bandage as well on the cast, but it was better than always feeling the pain from either.

Bringing herself from her thoughts, Twilight grabbed the correct ingredients to make some oatmeal with carrots and celery on the side. She gathered the container of oats, began boiling the water, and grabbed the bag of carrots and the bag of celery. She decided to let the water boil and wait until it was done to finish the dish, so she went back into the main room and grabbed the book she had been reading last night before hearing the colt. She had been so enveloped in the book recently. It was called, "The Homeless Chronicles". It was a sad romance novel about a young foal who lives alone for most of his life until he meets the right mare and falls in love. She read a review saying it had an interesting ending, but never gave clues as to what happens. She was almost finished with it, so she was determined to find out the ending.

As if on cue, there was a knock at the door, which Twilight sighed and reluctantly got up to answer. Upon opening the door, she was met with one of her best friends, "Well, howdy, Twilight!" The Earth pony mare known as Applejack said as she gave a warm smile in greeting.

"Oh, hello, Applejack! What are you doing here, so early?" The alicorn princess asked, genuinely wondering why.

"Well, today's my day off and it has been a while since we hung out and Ah thought it'd be nice to pay ya a visit and catch up on things."

"Sure. I''d love to! Come on in! I making some oatmeal with celery and carrots, if you'd like some." Twilight said as the orange mare walked in, passing her and looking around.

"Sure, Ah'd love some! Ah haven't had my breakfast yet, so that'd be just fine!" Applejack said as she took a seat on the sofa.

"Would you like something to drink while we wait for the oatmeal?" Twilight asked before heading into the kitchen.

"Sure, Ah'll take some apple juice if ya have some." She said readjusted the stetson hat on her head.

"Okay, coming right up!" Twilight said as she went to fetch their meal.

Applejack just sat on the couch in silence, waiting for the delicious meal that was going to be her breakfast. As she began to relax, she heard a light crash, thump, and rustle coming from the second floor. She immediately became tense from the unexpected interruption as she looked towards the stairs that lead to the strange sounds. "Uh, Twilight? Isn't Spike away on royal business?" She asked, not breaking eye contact with the stairs.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" She said as she brought their meals into the room, setting them down gently with her telekinesis.

"Because there might be a intruder upstairs." She said as she narrowed her gaze at the stairs, as if expecting it to catch fire.

Twilight scoffed at this and waved a hoof dismissively. "Don't be silly Applejack! No pony would ever do anything like that! Just don't worry what's upstairs, its nothing to worry about." Twilight floated a spoonful of the oatmeal into her mouth and sighed with content from the enticing flavor. "Try the oatmeal, Applejack! Its great, if I do say so myself." She giggled at the self-complement.

Applejack took the spoon with her hoof and brought it to her mouth. As she began to chew, the waves of flavor began to take over her mind, instantly making her forget about the strange sounds from upstairs. She moaned slightly and smiled as she swallowed the food, quickly scooping up another spoonful, bringing it to her mouth, and swallowing it with the same contentedness.

Within an hour, the two had finished their meals and were chatting about recent things that had happened in each other's lives. Each just revealing in the pleasant company that the other provided. After another hour, the two had finished catching up and were preparing to go their separate ways, until a certain colt came down the stairs, unbeknownst to Twilight. Applejack immediately saw the colt behind her and just gawked at him. Twilight kept rambling until Applejack tapped the alicorn's shoulder and pointed behind her. Twilight looked to see White Mark standing there, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

After a few moments of silence, Applejack finally spoke up, "Twi, why is there a young colt in yur house?" There was no frustration or or anger in the question, just confusion lined with curiosity.

Twilight just smiled and walked over to the colt nuzzling him affectionately. "This is White Mark. He will be staying with me for a while.

Applejack immediately jumped to conclusions and spoke before her mind could stop the words. "Is he yours?"

Twilight's eyes widened suddenly at the question, making her flush with embarrassment. She shook her head and giggled a bit. "Does he really look like he's supposed to be mine? I would've had to have him years ago!" White Mark just stood there quietly as the two mares talked.

"Well, you could've kept him a secret, but I guess its not really possible." The farm pony shrugged and walked over to the half awake colt. "Well, where'd he come from?" She asked, looking him over.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I found him in the alleyway in between Allie Way's and Pokey Pierce's houses. He's homeless and hurt pretty bad. I did what I could last night, but he still needs to be taken to the hospital to be examined." Twilight put a hoof around his shoulder as she saw him wince from the pain coming back into his body.

Applejack was shocked at hearing this, but not from the sadness of the story, but the way he had survived when he was only about 12 years old now. "How old is he anyway?" She asked after getting over the initial shock.

"I'm not sure. He didn't tell me that last night." Twilight said as she leaned down to ask him.

"I'm 12 now, I think. I don't exactly know my birthday, so I just assume that's how old I am." He said before the alicorn could ask.

Both mares were shocked by this. How could a pony not know their own birthday? That just seemed impossible. "Okay." Twilight said before an awkward silence could claim them. "Let's get you some breakfast and cast the pain-killer spells again, hm?" Twilight said as she lead the way to the kitchen.

"So, are you just gonna take care a him for now?" Applejack asked, pulling Twilight back into the main room.

"Yes. Who else would? He would've froze to death last night had I not found him when I did!" Twilight stated. The worry and concern for the colt were visible in her eyes. "I also think he was abused when he was younger. When I tried to pick him up, he just pushed my hooves away and just shook more than he already was. I am determined to find out what happened to him and I want to help him get a better life than what he had before." The determination was contagious as it spread to Applejack.

"Sounds like a plan ta me! Count me in!" The orange mare said as said smiled with the same determination.

"Great! It'd be helpful if the other's knew about this. We'd have a better chance to find out things with all of us working on it." Twilight brought a hoof to her chin in thought.

"Oh! Ah could go tell em! It is my day off after all!" The Earth mare said as she turned to leave.

"You don't have to waste your day off doing this-" She was cut off with a hoof being brought to her mouth.

"Like Ah said, Twi, Ah'm in this too. Now, Ah'll go tell the our friends, you get him ready and take him to the hospital, and we'll all meet ya there. Okay?" Applejack put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder in reassurance.

"Okay," She said. "I'll see you at the hospital." She hugged the mare and thanked her for helping out as Applejack left in a brisk trot. Twilight shut the door and walked into the kitchen. "White Mark, we're leaving soon, so we have to hurry." THe colt only nodded as he finished his oatmeal that he got himself and followed the Princess to get ready to leave.

Author's Note:

Well, there's the next chapter. I'm glad you guys are liking it. I'll post new chapters as often as I can. Hope you enjoyed this one as well. I'm gonna head to ben since I've got school in the morning and its 2:00 AM! Night everyone!

Bronze out-