• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 1,628 Views, 36 Comments

Heart Without a Beat - BronzeUnicorn



White Mark has been on his own for as long as he can remember. There wasn't a pony in Equestria that had cared for him at all. But all that would change soon.

  • ...
3
 36
 1,628

Vexation

Author's Note:

Thank you guys for all of the support! I'm glad that I'm getting positive feedback on this story. It means a lot to me that I can provide a decent plot line to follow that gets and keeps people's attention. Again, thank you and sorry to keep you waiting! Enjoy!

The early morning sun began to rise, signalling for the day to begin. Birds began to chirp as six exhausted mares headed back to the tree house. They had searched well into the early morning hours, but none of them had found any leads. Twilight had already sent her letter to the Princess, only to recieve a negative reply stating that guards could not be sent. There was a problem that needed to be dealt with in Gryphonia.

Everypony made their way into the library, stumbling as exhaustion began to set in. The only one that wanted to continue was, of course, Twilight Sparkle. "We can't just stop searching! He could be dying or even dead! How could you all just want to stop and prevent us from finding him?!" The poor mare was clearly the most stressed. It was easy to tell by her mangled mane and tail, her extremely bloodshot eyes, and her matted coat.

"We understand that y'er worried, Twi, but we can't keep goin' like this. White Mark even said he'd been through worse an' survived! Ah'm sure he's alright." Applejack tried to assure, giving her a warm, but tiired smile.

"No! We can't risk it! We need to find him!" At this point, she was on the edge of snapping and breaking down. The other mares couldn't help, but feel sorry for her.

"Twilight, dear, we must insist that you get some sleep, at least. You need it the most, since you're feeling the worst about this travesty." Rarity said, putting a hoof on the mare's shoulder.

"I know. But, How can I sleep when I know he's out there, injured, dying, or even worse..." She gasped, thinking of the worst, but not saying it. Everypony picked it up and glanced at each other.

"Please, Twilight. You need rest. We will go look some more, but you, most of all, need to rest." Fluttershy said, taking the lavender mare and leading her toward the stairs. The rest of her friends just looked on, seemingly knowing what was going to happen.

As if on cue, the floodgates opened before they even got to the stairs. Twilight began to sob uncontrollably into the her pegasus friend's shoulder, matting the fur significanty. Fluttershy just held her there, nuzzling her neck and rubbing her back. This went on for a few moments before the other mares joined in. All of them came in for a group hug, comforting the distraught mare in the middle.

"Don't worry, Twi. We'll find him." Rainbow put in, patting the alicorn's back for reassurance.

Then, all of the sudden, a horrific scream startled everypony into alertness. Their ears twitched to the sound until another one sounded off. All ears folded back as the sound was recognized. "Please tell me that's not..." No pony had time to react when Twilight teleported out of the circle of friends and out the door. Without hesitation, the other mares followed her, all of them praying to Celestia that the colt would survive whatever was happening to him.


The whole world seemed to spin as White Mark began to wake up. His eyes burned as the light around him flooded into his vision. He hearing returned fast and made him wince, everything was louder than he remembered. he wiped the water from his eyes with his good foreleg, hoping to get a good look at his surroundings. Sadly, ne noticed he was in the same spot as when he passed out. Twilight hasn't found me yet. He thought, sighing as he let out a large yawn.

After a few moments, he began to feel something drop on his body every now and then. It was wet and cold Looking u, White Mark noticed the dark-looking sky. It was starting to rain. Great. Just what I need. Once that thought passed, it began to pour. Luckily, he was hiding in an uprooted tree, safe from the rain. He would be alive and dry when somepony found him.

He froze in place when he heard rustling ahead of him. He immediately glanced around, hoping it was somepony to rescue him. That thought was shot down when he heard the grunt of what souded like a Manticore. He remained very still, praying to Celestia that that thing wouldn't find him. But, as his luck would have it, the creature stopped and look right at him.

Time slowed as the dangerous creature neared the tree, seeming to grin deviously at it's prey. It got into a pouncing position until the colt decided to make a run for it. White Mark ran as fast as his injured form would let him. He passed through thick trees, bushes, anything to get away from the beast. He ran for what seemed like hours when he finally found a small cave to hide in. He waited there, praying more and wishing more than anything for somepony to find him.

He tried to sneak around the beast, only for it to chase him again. It had caught up to him this time and cut him along his left side. he ignored the pain and kept running for his life. He should be halfway across Whitetail Wood by now. The Manticore wasn't too far behind. Now, however, he was hiding in a bush near a small clearing. He would wait here until somepony or the Manticore to find him. He'd prefer somepony rather than the Manticore, though.

He winced and covered his eyes as a brief light covered his vision. He rubbed his eyes a couple of times, only to realize that what he was seeing was real. It was a wierd looking creature that was made up of many different animals. He had the horn of a mountain goat, the antler of a deer, the head and neck of a different goat, the arm of a lion, the arm and torso of a gryphon, the wing of a bat, the wing of a pegasus, the leg of a another different goat, and the other leg and tail of two different lizards. Whatever is was, it seemed to be smirking at White Mark.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here! A young injured colt with nopony around to ruin my fun! But, you're not an ordinary colt, are you?" The creature was very amused at the look on the colt's face. What the hay is he talking about?

"W-Who are you?" White Mark asked, his voice trembling from exhaustion setting in once again.

"Why I'm Discord! God of Chaos! And you are an extinct species that I should've gotten rid of a long, long time ago." He had a blank stare as he caught the colt's confused look. "You don't know, do you?" The colt shook his head, prompting the creature known as Discord to face-palm.

"Allow me to enlighten you then. You are a race of a pony that is half monster and half pony. You can change into the monster any time you want, but if you get mad enough, you'll gain an enraged level that will make you unstoppable until you are calmed down once again. Your species was created by me as a cruel joke to the ponies of Celestia's time. It turned out that you still had the harmony inside you, which made you not want to use your 'bad side', if you will.

"I grew tired of your resistence and revealed your true forms. All of your kind were either slain or sieged until the died out. You, somehow, made it out alive, which is why I am here. You do not belong here and should not be even living! Therefore, i will see to it that you will not be alive when your friends find you. Goodbye, White Mark." With that, Discord put his cat paw to his mouth and whistled. Loud rustling was heard in the distance and closing fast. The creature poofed away as the Manticore came charging out of the nearby trees and into the clearing.

The colt had no time to react as the Manticore pounced on top of him. He lashed out and kicked at it, stunning it enough to get out from under it. Getting up to his hooves, he faced the creature. He knew he was fighting a losing battle, but he refused to go out without a fight. He grabbed a nearby rock and hurled itwith his good hoof. It hit dead in the Manticore's right eye, making it roar and charge. White Mark had just enough time to jump out of the way.

He screamed out loud as he felt the claws of the beast dig into his flank. He was soon throw into a thin tree, making his head throb painfully. He shakily got up and dove t the side to avoid another charge from the blood thirsty beast. He tried to dodge again, only to scream loudly when he felt his whole right side be cut into. He fell to the ground with a loud thud, making him grunt and sob at the new levels of pain.

He screamed as loud as possible, seemingly loud enough to hear from Ponyville, when he felt the large stinger of the tail go straight through his shoulder and into the ground. He screamed again, same volume, as the stinger stabbed his torso, causing him to cough and start hacking up his own blood. White Mark knew this was it, there was no possible chance of him surviving this. He spit out more blood and coughed as the stinger was drawn for one last strike. He was ready for it, feeling his body go numb and his vision blur.

As everything began to fade, a bright light shot the Manticore off of him. He could barely hear or see anything. He could only watch six figures rush to him and hear their muffled voices screaming. one in particular, a lavender blob, began to sob and cry out, sounding very angry and distraught. White Mark barely registered his body being lifted and held. he couldn't tell what was happening, but he knew he would fade soon. The last thing that was on his mind before he blacked out was, What was Discord talking about?