• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 1,257 Views, 46 Comments

Not a Mariachi Band - River Road



Octavia finds herself in Ponyville, playing with two of her bandmates for a birthday party... apparently. What's going on, and why is there a second one of her?

  • ...
2
 46
 1,257

Epilogue: Melodia

“And you are sure that this will work?” Octavia looked down at the hole in the ground. Vinyl was lying next to it, recovering after the strain of lifting the huge boulder that had sealed it off.

“Not in the least! But don’t you just love surprises?” Pinkie bounced towards the hole and looked down, then turned to Octavia with a slightly more serious look. “Either way, this is probably your best bet. Come on now, can’t let her wait.” She jumped down the hole, disappearing from sight.

Octavia looked at Vinyl and raised an eyebrow. The unicorn just shrugged in response.

~~~~~

The cellist looked down at her reflection on the water’s surface, slightly hesitant. She wasn’t even sure if anything would actually happen, but that didn’t stop the sinking feeling in her stomach.

“Now, Octavia, do you still remember the rhyme?” Pinkie had turned her back to her, urging Vinyl to do the same.

“Certainly.” Octavia nodded. She closed her eyes and took a hesitant step forward into the water. “And into her own reflection she stared, yearning for one whose reflection she shared, and solemnly sweared not to be scared at the prospect of being doubly mared!”

As she had spoken this, she had walked further into the water. Strangely enough, she wasn’t just dropping into the pond but instead seemed to circle around the ledge she had been standing on, ending on dry ground again and not feeling soaked in the slightest.

She opened her eyes to see a second Octavia staring right back at her.

Octy blinked. “You… brought me back? But how…?”

“It worked, it worked, oh goody, it worked!” Pinkie Pie bounded over to them and somehow managed to hug both Octavias at once.

Vinyl trotted over a little slower, but grinning just as enthusiastically. “It’s really you, Octy? That’s awesome! I knew this whole Mirror Pond thing would work, Pinkie Pie hasn’t steered me wrong yet!”

Octy glanced over to Pinkie Pie and pulled away. “I see. Thank you very much, I thought that I would be gone for good.”

Vinyl grinned at Octy some more, then cocked her head. “So… What now? I mean, having two Tavis around would be undeniably awesome, but it would probably be hard to explain.”

“Indeed.” Octy nodded. “That’s why I have decided to travel around the country for a while.”

“A reasonable decision. But do come by to visit us from time to time.” Tavi gave her a warm smile, then frowned. “We still need a proper name and a story for you, though. Not to sound arrogant, but ponies know me.”

“Indeed. We will have to come up with– Is there something funny, Vinyl?” Both mares turned to the unicorn who was trying and failing to stifle her laughter.

“It… It’s just…” Vinyl took a deep breath, then breaking into giggles before she finally managed to compose herself, more or less. “We already have a name and cover story, you silly fillies.”

Pinkie Pie tilted her head, watching the exchange curiously from the background. Both Octavias glanced at each other before turning back to Vinyl giving her an expectant look.

After a short moment, Tavi’s eyes widened. “Oh no… Vinyl, you can’t seriously be talking about what I think you are seriously talking about…”

~~~~~

The chestnut brown stallion trotted through the small door that lead behind the stage of Dodge Junction’s bar/theater. A grey earth pony mare was just putting her violin back in its case. The mare looked up at the visitor, giving a composed smile. “Can I help you?”

“Indeed. You are String Melody, yes?” The stallion had a light Trottingham accent.

Octavia eyed his dark brown mane, the hourglass cutie mark and the horn poking out of his forehead. “That is my stage name. You can just call me Melodia, or Melody if you want. Say, you look a lot like a stallion I have met once. Are you by any chance related to a Time Turner from Ponyville?”

“Ah yes, Melodia…” The stallion smirked, not replying to her question. “I’ve heard some rumors that you are actually the time-traveling granddaughter of Octavia Philharmonica.”

Octavia laughed. “Oh, those old rumors. If you ask the townsfolk, they will probably tell you that I have several stories going around as to who I am. I am rather fond of that particular one, and apparently so are the townsponies. However, I can honestly say that I am not a time-traveler.”

“Oh, I see.” The stallion didn’t seem very disappointed by this news. “Well, it’s never too late to do something new, wouldn’t you agree.”

Octavia tilted her head, giving him a curious look. “Are you implying that…?”

The stallion nodded, grinning. “Indeed, Miss Melodia.” He held out his hoof for her to shake. “My name is Dr. Timothy Hooves, and I am Time Turners grandson.”

Author's Note:

I have no sequel planned for this story.
However, if any of you feel inspired to write it, you have my blessings. :derpytongue2:

Comments ( 35 )

“My name is Dr. Timothy Hooves, and I am Time Turners grandson.”

DO I SMELL A SEQUEL TO THIS AWESOME STORY ALREADY?! :pinkiegasp:

4306058

*quickly adds Author's Note*

4306136

*Squeeeeeeeee*
The 500-Follower-Girl is reading my story~! :pinkiehappy:

Dammit, now I almost feel compelled to make a sequel. :rainbowderp:

4306163 :twilightblush: I'm nothin' special~

4306223 It's strange, though -- my twin daughters for OctaScratch are named Harmonia and Melodie... :rainbowderp: Great minds think alike, I suppose!

4306211

Nothing special, she says.
You're right, though. If you make a sequel of this, you won't be special, you would be super-ultra-extreme-awesomazing! :heart:

4306233

Or maybe I know that because I'm somepony's time-travelling grandson?
Dr. Timothy Hooves, pleased to make your acquaintance. *bows* :moustache:

4306252 Ok, it's official, I'm making that sequel. :rainbowlaugh:

4306256

Success! The time-space continuum has been saved from paradoxes once more. :trollestia:

4306278

What! Impossible! Lies and slander, I say!
...
*goes to change tag*

Comment posted by WublessFeat deleted Apr 28th, 2014

Coherent enough not to be random... :pinkiecrazy:
Has at least one line of backstory... :trixieshiftleft:
A 'heartwarming' ending... :trixieshiftright:
A sequel that plugged in two time travelers... :rainbowderp:

Yup, mustache. :moustache:

Applaud, Good Sir.

Interesting that it was the one who turned into Octavia who developed an independent identity opposed to the other two.

All in all, this is a story after my own heart.

http://alexwarlorn.deviantart.com/art/Inspiration-Manifestation-Family-At-Nowhere-450622349 My own inspiration written after I saw the episode. Though I'll admit about a million times weirder than yours and set with a lot of my own fanon, so not as accessible.

4307883

Did you read part 2?

And here I thought that Octavia and her band were just teleported from Canterlot.

4307077

Why, thank you, thank you very much. I'll have you know that all my stories are quite coherent. :raritywink:

4309046

Ahahahahaha :rainbowlaugh:
Don't be silly. Now where would be the fun in that? :derpytongue2:

4309068

Really? How does his story relate to 'artifiacal ponies' tell me more.

I WAS WONDERING why this story was missing a 'sad' mark.

And what you're saying Ironically I once wrote as part of an original group story, where a woman was remade into a replica of a child who had been friends with a trio of witches when they themselves were children but had died. Years later after the witches were defeated, the heroes decided NOT to change her back, because they decided they'd be committing one murder to undo another murder.

Rather like the conflict in the Voyager episode Tuvix, were an transporter accident fused two men together into one person. By the time a solution has been found, Tuvix has developed his own ego and identity, but the crew decide to split him anyway, much to his own dismay. His last words being more or less, "You're all good people, and you're all going to have to live with this."

Yes, the innocent pony who was used as raw material is an innocent victim, but so is Created-Octavia. And this makes me wonder if Rarity's other 'revisions' developed individuality in that time.

4309291

Well, it's not easy to summarize, but let me assure you that it is An undoubtedly amazing Sweetie Bot story.

As for Octy, she still considered herself as Octavia, which means that in her interpretation of things there would still be one of herself living on. I... might have subconsciously given her some character traits of Quizzical Greystone. :twilightsheepish:

As for tags, I didn't use the Sad tag because the story turned out mainly comedic and taking both of them makes no sense. I don't even think it is possible on this site.

4309879

Now I'm left how things went with her two 'siblings' and if they developed any individual will before they were erased.

4311173

Harpo probably got too wasted to notice or care and the other one is just a nameless background pony. :trollestia:

4311251

Ironically, 'nameless background ponies' are my specialty.

First chapter ended kinda darkly but the epilogue lightened it :pinkiehappy:
4306256 I anxiously await this.

4315308

I couldn't just let a story end on a sad note, now could I? :pinkiehappy:
Anyway, thank you very much for the comment, it means a lot to me. (And I hope The Queen Princess wasn't just joking about that. :twilightsheepish:)

4647714

Do the mariachi ponies have any memory whatsoever of what happened?

4655756

Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt it.
Not that Twilight wouldn't give them a short rundown of what happened.

It has been done!

Very cute, the ending is especially a nice touch.

This story inspired a twist on my own Pinkie Pie Variety Show.

5375333

Oooh? Well, doesn't that sound interesting. :raritystarry:

5386139
Still love this one.

Whoa once again I did not see that coming and you know it kind of explained about the other one who looks like Octavia during the apples reunions but because there are two Octavias she needs to disguise herself and apparently there's another one who kind of looks like Doctor Whooves but that turns out to be his great-great-grandson wow that was a turn of events and also pretty sweet that Pinkie Pie helping Octavia and vinyl bringing back the other Octavia back this was a pretty good story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment