• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 1,938 Views, 17 Comments

Open Up Your Heart - Dream Bolt



The CMC try their hooves at matchmaking once again. Things get... out of hoof.

  • ...
6
 17
 1,938

We're So in Love?

Twilight was making certain that all the preparations were in order. Word had spread fast, and there were now lots of ponies preparing the wedding, all eager to help two of the heroes who had saved them from Eggman not so long ago.

“Pinkie Pie, how goes the decorations and refreshments?” Twilight queried.

“Super-duper-loopty-looper!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed in her usual exuberant fashion. “Just a few more shots of the party cannon should finish them all up!”

“Perfect!” Twilight stated, scratching a mark on her clipboard. “Mr. and Mrs. Cake?”

“The wedding cake is almost done!” Mrs. Cake replied cheerily. “Oh, how I do love making wedding cakes! They’re so… oh, they just bring back such fond memories!”

“Oh, remember when we used to make wedding cakes together when we were dating, sugar bun?” Mr. Cake asked. “My eyes were rarely on the cake! Remember when I accidentally frosted a pot because I was staring at you?”

“How could I forget?” Mrs. Cake laughed.

Twilight grinned as she heard the couple reminisce. Something about weddings made ponies sentimental. Including herself.

“Hey, Twilight?” Lyra asked as she walked up to the lavender princess. “Question. Why are we throwing a surprise wedding? Isn’t it kind of up to the couple to choose when they have the wedding?”

“Well, I heard Sonic tell Rainbow Dash that today was the big day just a few days ago.” Twilight stated.

“By spying on them?” Lyra asked with a raised eyebrow.

Twilight blushed, and pretended she hadn’t heard that last statement. “Anyway, if I know Sonic and Rainbow Dash, they would try to elope in secret. But we’re going to surprise them with the most wonderful wedding they could hope for!”

“But there won’t be an awesome Changeling battle this time!” Dream Bolt shouted down from a tree, setting up some streamers. The wedding was being hosted in a large, beautiful meadow, dotted with a few trees, and was surrounded by wildflowers. All in all, it was very romantic.

Twilight ignored Dream Bolt. “Okay. Fluttershy, how’s the bird choir?”

“Oh, they’re doing very well.” Fluttershy assured her. “That is, I’m sure they’ll do their best. They all like Sonic too, because he helped save them from being put inside that mean old Eggman’s robots.”

Twilight made another scratch on her clipboard. “Okay, now Rarity….”

“I’m fiiiniiished!” Rarity sung as she trotted out of her boutique. Beside her she was levitating a gorgeous wedding dress, made for a pony, and a dapper tuxedo.

“Thank goodness I kept the Mobian’s measurements from when I made their Gala outfits.” Rarity exclaimed. “It simply would not do to have the lovely couple show up to their wedding without a new and lovely ensemble!”

“They certainly look fantastic!” Twilight admitted. “Rarity, you’ve done it again.”

“Well, thank you dear.” Rarity said, giving a little toss of her man as she smiled coyly. “Note the shimmering crystals which reflect little rainbows all about. Just perfect for our beautiful little Rainbow.” She gave a sniff, and blew her nose upon a silk handkerchief. “I’m sorry. It’s just… oh this is so… and Rainbow is finally… and… and… it’s so wonderful!”

Rarity collapsed into joyful tears on Fluttershy’s shoulder as Twilight checked off another box on her checklist.

“Applejack, how’s the dinner coming?” Twilight called.

“Fine and dandy!” Applejack called in return. “We got more food than you can shake a stick at.”

“Really?” cried Pinkie Pie. She immediately grabbed a stick and began shaking it at the tables of food.

Twilight gave a small chuckle as she rolled her eyes, making another mark on her checklist.

“Okay, that just leaves guests.” she said with satisfaction. “Spike, did you send out those invitations?”

“Done and done!” Spike replied proudly. “Sonic’s friends will be here shortly. Even Shadow’s coming, although he said it’s because he won’t believe it until he sees it.”

Twilight checked off the last item on her list, grinning happily.

“Oh, Spike.” she sighed. “Rainbow Dash is probably the luckiest mare alive!”

*******************************************************

“I have got to be the unluckiest mare alive!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

She stomped her hoof angrily as she sat on a stool. Zecora was bandaging up her wing, while Sonic stood nearby looking sympathetic.

“I mean, this was the day of our big marathon!” Rainbow Dash groaned. “We were supposed to go through Appleoosa and back, and I didn’t even make it out of the Everfree Forest!”

“Hey, who knew we would run into a hydra?” Sonic asked with a shrug. He gave Rainbow Dash a grin and gently punched the shoulder furthest from her injured wing. “You were pretty cool out there. At least we still had some fun kicking that thing’s tail!”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Yeah, I was pretty awesome. Ow!” She flinched as Zecora pulled the bandage tight. “Hey, watch it!”

“Oh, don’t be such be such a big foal. You were barely hurt at all.” Zecora replied with a roll of her eyes. “Your wing just got scratched up a bit. My potions should take care of it. By tomorrow’s day, it will all go away, and you will finally be able to play.”

“Yeah, thanks, Zecora.” Rainbow Dash sighed, still rather disappointed about having to wait for the race.

“Tell you what.” Sonic said with a grin. “How about we head into town and get some of those veggie chili-dogs? You know, get some extra energy for tomorrow.”

Rainbow Dash grinned as she got to her hooves. “Sounds good with me. Maybe we can see what the others are doing.”

*******************************************************

“Hey, Twilight, the Mobian guests are arriving.” Spike announced.

“Perfect!” Twilight said with a grin, checking a mark off of her check list and flipping over to her guest list.

Tails showed up first, looking about in a rather confused fashion. He was wearing a suit which Rarity had insisted he put on. At the moment, he was talking to Applejack trying to make sense of things.

“Well… Sonic did say he liked Rainbow Dash, but I didn’t think he would marry her!” Tails was exclaiming.

“Believe me, I’m as surprised as y’all are, sugarcube.” Applejack admitted. “Rainbow Dash ain’t said a thing ‘bout it ta us, neither. I guess they jes’ wanted ta keep it a secret. Ya know, ‘cause they’re too ‘cool’ ta be all mush an’ stuff.”

“Yeah, they’re the type who would be going along, acting normally, and then POW! Married!” Twilight exclaimed as she trotted up.

“Hey! That’s my line!” Dream Bolt shouted from one of the tables, where he was trying to sneak a few early snacks, while Rarity kept smacking his hoof.

The other Mobian guests had begun to arrive. Knuckles was there, along with a pink female echidna, and Cream and her mother were also present.

“Sonic’s marrying a rainbow-maned flying pony.” Knuckles muttered to himself. “Well, now I’ve officially seen everything.”

“I admit, it’s a little unforeseen.” Rarity stated as she trotted up to greet the new guests. “And who is this lovely young lady with you?”

“I’m Julie-su.” the pink echidna replied with a grin. “I’m Knuckle’s girlfriend.”

“Well, I must say, Julie-su, that is a fascinating accent to your quills.” Rarity exclaimed, admiring an unusual metallic quill hanging from Julie-su’s head.

“It’s actually a cybernetic implant.” Julie-su explained. “I have a few gadgets in it for communications and such.”

“Yeah! You should have seen her when Knuckles was using her for a radio dish!” bellowed a deep, raspy voice as Vector approached, clad in a stylish suit with a pair of sunglasses atop his head.

Julie-su glared at Vector. “Unless you want me to show Miss Rarity here how to make alligator-skin boots, you’d better keep on my good side, toothy.”

Twilight checked Knuckles and Vector off the list, as well as Cream and her mother, who were both looking very confused as Fluttershy showed them Angel. Twilight looked over her list. “Okay, let’s see… now we only have….”

“Get out of my way, pathetic pony.”

The ponies shied away from the menacing figure approaching the wedding area. His black and red coloring would have made him see rather ominous anyways, but the perpetual scowl he wore served to make him a rather unnerving person to be near.

“Hello, Shadow!” Twilight said as cheerfully as possible. “I didn’t expect you to show up!”

Shadow shook his head. “I won’t believe it until I see it for myself.” he snorted.

“Well, we’re almost ready, so feel free to….” Twilight trailed off as Shadow walked away as she was talking to him.

“Okay, he’s still as surly as ever.” Twilight mumbled to herself. “I’m just surprised more Mobian guests aren’t showing up.” She sighed. “Well, that’s what I get for throwing a surprise wedding. I guess they’re busy fighting… bad Mobian people or something. Something really important.”

*****************************************************

On a beach in Solianna, a young dragon was lying beside a young lynx, performing the very important task of attempting to get a tan.

“Hey, Larry.” the dragon asked. “You think we should check out that wedding between Sonic and a rainbow pony?”

“Nah.” Larry the lynx replied. “It’s probably just another crazy rumor. Don’t worry about it, Dulcey. Believe me, working on my tan is far more important than paying attention to idle gossip.”

The two lay on the beach for a while before Dulcey finally spoke up.

“You do realize you’re covered in fur, right?”

*****************************************************

“Well, it can’t be helped.” Twilight said with a shrug. “I guess you don’t get days off when you’re saving the world. Although I do wish at least Rouge and the rest of the Chaotix had been able to come.”

Her thought were interrupted by the disproportionately loud voice of Sweetie Belle shouting.

“Everypony get ready! They’re coming!”

All the ponies scrambled to their positions, with the Mobians following suit in a rather confused manner. Twilight dashed over to her friends.

“Okay, like we rehearsed.” she whispered. “Now… let’s do it to it!”

*****************************************************

“Wow, the town sure is quiet.” Sonic noted as he and Rainbow Dash strolled through. “Is it a holiday today, too?”

“Or maybe they were attacked by zombies.” Rainbow Dash suggested.

Before the point could be further debated, the two of them were approached by three young fillies who had large, grins of ill-concealed glee upon their faces.

“Hey, Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo cried.

“Hey, Sonic!” Apple Bloom exclaimed.

“We were just looking for you!” Sweetie Belle announced. “We wanted to, um… have a special picnic for you two!”

Rainbow Dash gave Sonic a raised eyebrow and a smirk. Sonic returned the smirk.

“Should we just humor them?” Rainbow Dash whispered.

“Yeah, why not?” Sonic whispered back.

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat. “Well, thanks kids!” she stated. “That was really nice of you!”

“Just come right this way!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, prancing about with ill-contained excitement.

“And close your eyes.” Scootaloo ordered. “We want it to be a surprise.”

“An’ no peekin’!” Apple Bloom hollered.

Sonic and Rainbow Dash glanced at one another and shrugged, both smirking at the young fillies’ exuberance.

“Okay.” Rainbow Dash agreed, and she and Sonic allowed themselves to be led by the Crusaders.

*****************************************************

Sonic and Rainbow Dash followed the Crusaders out towards the field, where everything was prepared.

“I said no peekin’!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, giving Sonic a swat with her hoof as she caught the blue hedgehog trying to peer through his fingers.

“Ow! Okay, okay!” Sonic conceded. His famous impatience was adding to the curiosity he already felt. He had a feeling the three fillies were up to another attempt at setting up a date, but he still wanted to see what they had planned.

As Scootaloo and Apple Bloom led Rainbow Dash and Sonic beneath the flowered arch which Rarity had set up at the entrance to the wedding area, Sweetie Belle signaled Twilight.

Twilight, seeing the signal, sent off a beacon of light to signal the others. Everyone readied themselves.

“Alright, you can look!” Scootaloo shouted.

As Rainbow Dash and Sonic opened their eyes, they suddenly found that they were surrounded by ponies, (and a few Mobians,) who were all dressed formally. A group of pegasi began to dump flower petals down from above. A musical quartet began to play.

Rainbow Dash’s mouth dropped open. So did Sonic’s. They were utterly speechless, immobile with shock. Nothing, not even their wildest ideas of what the Crusaders had planned, had prepared them for this.

“Isn’t it just smashing?” Rarity exclaimed, trotting up to the alleged couple. Her horn flashed, swiftly wrapping the two in the wedding garments she had made them.

“Shame on you two!” Rarity chided. “Trying to elope without telling us! We’re your friends! We don’t think you any less ‘cool’,” she waggled her hooves to mimic quotation marks, “just because you have feelings for one another!”

“Yeah!” Tails added, soaring up. “You don’t have to hide something like that from me, Sonic! You know I’ll always think you’re awesome! I won’t judge you if you decide to marry someone other than Sally.”

“Yes, we still think that you are really amazing.” Fluttershy exclaimed in her quiet, gentle voice. “You rock! Woohoo!”

“So we prepared you a super-duper-looper awesome-spectaularific wedding!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed in her not-so-quiet voice.

“Yeah, we support ya all the way!” Applejack exclaimed.

Twilight walked up to the couple, who still were staring into space with shocked expressions, mouths agape.

“Well?” she asked excitedly. “What do you think?”

“Wuh… wuh… wuh….” both Rainbow Dash and Sonic stuttered.

“I knew it! They’re speechless!” Rarity cried.

“So… we’re ready when you are.” Twilight announced.

Rainbow Dash and Sonic just stared in shock, unable to speak. Finally, Rainbow Dash found her voice.

“Wh… where did you get the idea we were getting married?”

“Well, we saw Sonic give you a ring.” Twilight answered.

“You were spying on us?” Sonic asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes. I mean, no! I mean… well… sort of….” Twilight stuttered.

“Hold it.” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “Why were you even spying on us in the first place?”

“Well, Sonic did ask you out on Hearts and Hooves Day, dearie.” Rarity replied. “You can’t blame us for being curious.”

“Yes, especially considering how much time you two spend together.” Bon-Bon added, trotting up.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “I should have guessed you were involved in some way, Sweetie Drops.”

Bon-Bon blushed, both at being discovered, and at Rainbow Dash mentioning the birth name she was rather embarrassed of. “Er… actually, spying on you was Twilight’s idea.”

“No it wasn’t!” Twilight exclaimed. “It was Dream Bolt’s!”

“Dream Bolt? The colt with all those crazy conspiracy theories?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “You listened to the pony who thinks that half of the Equestrian government are changelings? He tries to hang out with Discord, for crying out loud!”

“Well, he’s reformed!” Dream Bolt cried defensively from the crowd. “And I was trying to prove that you two weren’t in love!”

“But they are!” Bon-Bon insisted.

“Who told you that?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Wait… I’m confused.” Knuckles uttered. “Who’s told who what again?”

“And where did you get the idea me and Dash were even dating in the first place?” Sonic asked. “I came over on Hearts and Hooves Day because those three little fillies told me Rainbow Dash would be lonely that day. I didn’t even know of the holiday!”

“Wait a minute.” cried a voice in the crowd.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders gave one another worried glances as Cheerilee squeezed through the surrounding ponies.

“Would those three little fillies happen to be Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle?” Cheerilee asked suspiciously.

“Yeah.” Rainbow Dash confirmed. “They brought Sonic to Sugar Cube Corner that day.”

“Did they now?” Cheerilee mused, casting her “what-did-I-tell-you-about-doing-that” look at the three fillies who now stood awkwardly among the stares of everyone present.

“And they said that Sonic and Rainbow Dash were perfect for each other.” Applejack recalled.

“And you turned that into a full-blown marriage?” Rainbow Dash asked incredulously.

“But… Sonic gave you a ring.” Twilight exclaimed confusedly.

“Yeah. A Power Ring.” Rainbow Dash replied, rolling her eyes. “Geez, Twilight. I thought an egghead like you would know one of those when you saw it. It’s like a magical energy booster, not an engagement ring.”

“So… you’re not in love?” Twilight asked.

“No!” both Sonic and Rainbow Dash shouted at once.

“Oh.” Twilight mumbled, not sure what else to say.

“But… you said today was the big day.” Fluttershy spoke up.

“That’s because we had a really big race planned for today.” Sonic sighed. “Me and Dash were looking forward to it, until Dash hurt her wing.”

“In a fight with a hydra, which I totally clobbered.” Rainbow Dash emphasized, puffing her chest out proudly.

“Really?” exclaimed Scootaloo, her eyes wide with excitement. “That’s so awesome!”

Scootaloo suddenly realized her mistake as everyone’s attention turned back towards her and her friends.

“Girls.” Cheerilee’s stern voice called out. “Do you have anything you want to tell us about all this?”

“Nope.” Apple Bloom answered truthfully.

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow. “Do you have anything you don’t want to tell us about all this?”

The three fillies shuffled uncomfortably.

“We… might have tried to set Sonic and Rainbow Dash up on a date.” Sweetie Belle admitted.

“But it was only because Rainbow Dash deserved only the coolest date ever!” Scootaloo said in her own defense. “I just… I just wanted you to be happy, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash and Sonic both looked at one another. A small smile came over both of their faces.

“Hey… that’s real sweet of you, squirt.” Rainbow Dash stated, putting a hoof on Scootaloo’s shoulder. “But a special somepony is something I have to find for myself.”

“And while I’m flattered that you think I’m the coolest guy for Dash, I’ve already got a girlfriend.” Sonic stated with a warm grin. He patted Scootaloo on the head. “But you meant well, and me and Dash had fun, so… thanks, I guess.”

“Wait. You have a girlfriend?” Bon-Bon asked.

Sonic shook his head, waving his hands in front of himself. “Oooh, no. I’m not getting you ponies involved in my love life again!”

Rainbow sighed and shook her head. “And… I guess I should thank everypony here for their efforts… even if you all are a bit too nosy… and crazy.”

“Do not include me in this pathetic scheme.” Shadow grumbled. “I knew something was wrong about this whole idea.”

Twilight looked awkwardly at the other Mobians. “Sorry.” she apologized. “Next time, I’ll try to check the facts more before I send out invitations.”

“It’s no problem.” Tails replied. “I’m just glad that this was all just a silly misunderstanding.”

Vector looked around at the wedding decorations. “You know….” he mused. “… this could still make for a pretty cool party.”

Sonic shrugged. “Well, we’re already here….”

“And we did spend a lot of time putting this together.” Rarity admitted.

“You don’t have to tell me twice!” Pinkie Pie squealed. In a pink blur, she shot over to the orchestra and pulled out a DJ system which she had apparently hidden there earlier.

“Let’s party!”

*****************************************************

Twilight Sparkle sat at one of the tables, watching the party going on. She chuckled as she saw Rainbow Dash and Sonic chucking chunks of cake at one another, then turned back to her letter.

Dear Princess Celestia,

While you should always look out for your friends’ best interests and try to make them happy, you should always make sure that you’re doing what they want, and not what you want them to want.
You also should be careful not to jump to conclusions. Rumors can quickly be blown out of proportion, and before you know it, a molehill can have become a mountain.

Your friend and former student,
Twilight Sparkle

“Hey, Twilight!” Sonic shouted. “Come on! Vinyl Scratch and Vector are about to start the music!”

Twilight smiled, and got up from her seat, trotting over to Sonic.

“So, care to be my dance partner again?” Sonic asked. “You were a lot of fun at the last Gala.”

Twilight grinned. “I’d love to.”

As the music started, Sonic began moving to the music with impressive skill, while Twilight moved with… not so impressive skill.

“So… no hard feelings?” Twilight asked.

“Not at all.” Sonic chuckled. “Not a bad party, though.”

As the two of them danced, they happened to pass by Rarity, who was staring very intently at them first looking at one, and then the other.

“Sonic… when you said you had a girlfriend….” Rarity began, but Twilight quickly interrupted her.

“Not again, Rarity.” she chuckled. “I think we’ve all learnt a valuable lesson about jumping to conclusions today. Friendship doesn’t mean shipping friends.”

Rarity sighed. “Ah, well. I suppose you’re right. But I do so wish that I could go to a wedding sometime soon.”

“Me too.” Spike gushed, staring at Rarity with an entranced gaze.

Twilight grinned and chuckled, shaking her head knowingly. As the music played on, all the ponies and Mobians laughed and danced and chatted, each enjoying the magic of friendship.

Except for one pony. Dream Bolt snuck up to Twilight’s letter, looking around to make certain nopony noticed him. Pulling out a quill, he quickly made a small edition.

P.S. I want to marry Discord. I hope you understand, and approve. Please inform my parents, my brother Shining Armor, and Cadence.

Dream Bolt then took the letter and waved it in the air. “Hey, Spike!” he shouted. “Twilight left a letter for you to send!”

Author's Note:

Just something silly I wrote after rolling my eyes at all the Sonic/Rainbow Dash shippings. And I managed to make a cameo! Yay!

Comments ( 12 )

:facehoof: God damn it Dream Bolt

Dream Bolt, you cheeky dick waffle. Here, have a moustache :moustache:

“Well, thank you dear.” Rarity said, giving a little toss of her man as she smiled coyly. “Note the shimmering crystals which reflect little rainbows all about. Just perfect for our beautiful little Rainbow.” She gave a sniff, and blew her nose upon a silk handkerchief. “I’m sorry. It’s just… oh this is so… and Rainbow is finally… and… and… it’s so wonderful!”

:unsuresweetie: Drama queen much?

Rainbow and sonic?LOL as if, sonic sucks so much I laugh at him.:rainbowlaugh:

Well, that turned out better than I expected. I honestly was anticipating a lot of anger and shouting, which made the read rather stressful for me. Glad to see I was mistaken.

I wouldn't worry too much about that ending, I'm fairly sure Celestia will realize it's not Twilight's horn writing.

Damn you Dream Bolt

*SMH*
Ugh, Dream Bolt...:facehoof:

r.i.p. dream bolt

the cover image looks so much like a shitpost oml

Login or register to comment