• Published 27th Apr 2014
  • 1,940 Views, 17 Comments

Open Up Your Heart - Dream Bolt



The CMC try their hooves at matchmaking once again. Things get... out of hoof.

  • ...
6
 17
 1,940

We've Found the One!

Scootaloo zipped up to the schoolhouse on her scooter, quickly parking it and dashing inside.

“Sorry I’m late, Miss Cheerilee.” she apologized, sitting down next to her best friends, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. “I had to run to the store to get some supplies for tomorrow.”

“Couldn’t you have gotten them after school, dearie?” Cheerilee asked with a patient smile.

“Well, the Cutie Mark Crusaders have to prepare for the biggest Hearts-and Hooves Day ever!” Scootaloo cried. “We wanted to get a head start. Your card is the first one we’re working on!”

“And it’s already gonna take most of the day to finish!” Apple Bloom added.

“Because you’re the best teacher ever!” Sweetie Belle finished.

“Well, that’s very sweet of you girls!” Cheerilee replied with a smile. Then she narrowed her eyes. “You have learned your lesson about matchmaking though, haven’t you?”

“Of course, Miss Cheerilee!” the three fillies cried.

“You don’t force anypony together.” Apple Bloom stated.

“Yeah! Ponies have to find love for themselves!” Sweetie Belle added.

“And never, ever use magic potions to make ponies fall in love!” Scootaloo cried.

“That’s good to hear.” Cheerilee said with her usual sunny smile. “Now, everypony, turn to page 35 of your science textbooks. After all, with Hearts-and-Hooves Day coming up, you’ll want to learn about those flowers you’re giving your special somepony.”

*******************************************************

Later on, in the Cutie Mark Crusader clubhouse, the Cutie Mark Crusaders had just finished the arduous task of finishing Cheerilee’s special letter.

“Do you think Applejack might help us carry this over to the school?” Sweetie Belle asked. “It’s pretty heavy.”

“Ah told ya all them jewels would wear it down.” Apple Bloom stated.

“Well, that’s what makes it so pretty!” Sweetie Belle replied, staring proudly up at the enormous card.

“Speakin’ of which, where in the hay did you get all those gems?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Rarity uses them for her dresses.” Sweetie Belle answered. “I asked if I could have a few, and she said yes!”

“I don’t think that’s just a few.” Apple Bloom muttered, staring at the jewel-encrusted card.

“Come on, you guys!” Scootaloo cried, already working hard on another card. “I have to make a super-awesome card for Rainbow Dash! But I can’t make it lacey or anything. It has to be… you know… cool.”

“So, what is Rainbow Dash doing tomorrow?” Sweetie Belle asked. “Does she have a special somepony?”

“Of course!” Scootaloo cried. “I mean, I’ll bet every stallion in Cloudsdale and Ponyville is lined up waiting for her!”

“But do y’all know who it is?” Apple Bloom asked.

Scootaloo suddenly stopped, and a worried look came over her face. “I… guess I don’t.”

“Well, let’s go find out!” Sweetie Belle suggested.

“Yeah!” Scootaloo cried. “We have to make sure that she gets only the best pony!”

*******************************************************

The Cutie Mark Crusaders rode through the street, with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom being pulled along in a wagon by Scootaloo on her scooter.
As they zipped along, they drove past Applejack, who was selling some apples in town.

“Hey, sis!” Apple Boom cried, motioning for Scootaloo to stop. “Could you help us deliver our letter to Cheerilee tomorrow? It’s kinda big.”

“Sorry, sugarcube, but I have plans for tomorrow.” Applejack replied. “I can drop it off later today, so that Cheerilee gets it first thing in the mornin’ when she comes to the schoolhouse. How’s that?”

“That’d be swell of you to… do.” Apple Bloom suddenly looked suspiciously at Applejack. “Wait a minute. I thought you usually just catch up on chores and stuff on Hearts-and-Hooves Day.”

“Well, you see, I….”

“Sweet Celestia! Does my big sister finally have a special somepony?” Apple Bloom cried, leaping up in Applejack’s face.

Applejack sighed. “No.” she muttered, as if she wasn’t altogether pleased. Then her face brightened up happily. “But Pinkie Pie and that nice new pony Dream Bolt is havin’ a little get-together for the ponies who don’t have special someponies. Jes’ so we don’t miss out on the fun.”

As she spoke, a light yellow unicorn stallion with a blue mane trotted up. He was about Applejack’s age, and had a blue thought bubble for a Cutie Mark. Beside him, Pinkie Pie was bouncing along.

“Hiya, AJ!” the stallion cried.

“Howdy, Bolt!” Applejack replied. “Howdy, Pinkie! How’s tomorrow’s little shindig comin’ along?”

“Oh, it is gonna be so super-splendiferous!” Pinkie Pie cried. “There’s gonna be cupcakes, and pie, and cake, and candy, and more cake. Oh, it’s gonna be so fun!”

As Pinkie Pie continued jabbering about the upcoming party, a few other ponies began to approach. The Cutie Mark Crusaders quickly recognized Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, of course, and saw that Fluttershy and Spike were also with them.

“Hey, everypony!” Twilight exclaimed brightly. “We were on our way to the spa, and we saw you talking about the party.”

“It was hard to miss, with Pinkie Pie’s voice.” Rarity replied. “I do look forwards to having something to do rather than wallow in self-pity all alone.”

“Yeah, now we can wallow in self-pity together!” Dream Bolt exclaimed cheerfully, despite the less-than-cheerful statement. He was always a bit odd, but considering how he hung out with either Pinkie Pie or Lyra most of the time, that was hardly surprising.

Sweetie Belle looked up at Rarity. “You don’t have a special somepony either, sis?”

Rarity sighed. “No. I have of course had quite a few offers, but none that I would consider. I do have standards. I am a highly intelligent and sophisticated mare, after all, not just another pretty face.”

“Yeah, Rarity!” Spike gushed. “You’ve got beauty and brains!”

Twilight rolled her eyes at Spike’s blatant adoration.

“Not to mention, every stallion who approached me received an anonymous threat saying that they would be sent to the moon if they dated me.” Rarity added. “Although I have no idea who would say such a thing, or who other than the princesses even has the power to send things such long distances in the first place.”

Twilight scowled at Spike, who gave an awkward, not-so-innocent grin.

“I must admit though, I am rather surprised that you don’t have a special somepony, Fluttershy.” Rarity exclaimed. “After all, you’re quite charming, in both appearance and personality.”

“I just… um… well, I don’t think I could have a special somepony.” Fluttershy stated in her usual soft voice. “I’m too shy. And, um… well, I don’t think I could handle talking to a handsome stallion.” She suddenly squeaked, catching herself. “Oh, no offense, Dream Bolt.”

“None taken.” Dream Bolt replied. “I’m actually kind of glad you’re not considering me. The last thing I need is to have a heart attack from an overload of cuteness.”

“Um… thank you.” Fluttershy mumbled, her face lighting up bright red.

“I really don’t see the allure of having a special somepony.” Twilight stated. “Books are far better companions any day.”

Rarity sighed. “Dearie, you may have learned quite a bit about friendship while you‘ve been here, but I daresay you need to get out of the house more often.”

“I get out of the house all the time.” Twilight replied. “Ever since we encountered Mobius during the whole Sol Umbrae incident, I’ve been visiting the Mobian libraries and getting a lot of useful research done. And anyways, I prefer books to colts any day.”

“But what about that guard pony guy from the Crystal Empire?” Pinkie asked.

Twilight blushed and pretended she hadn’t heard.

Suddenly, Rainbow Dash shot over the sky, swooping down to hover a few feet above her friends.

“’Sup, everypony?” she cried.

“We were just talking about the party Dream Bolt had planned.” Twilight explained.

“The Singles Awareness party.” Dream Bolt added brightly. “We can all cry into our milkshakes together!”

“Nah, we’re gonna have a blast!” Rainbow Dash chuckled.

Scootaloo gasped. “Wait… Rainbow Dash… you don’t have a special somepony?”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Nopony cool enough for me really gave me any offer.” she huffed. “Same thing every year.” She sighed, then brightened up. “Hey, squirt. Maybe you could come to the….”

But as the ponies all turned, they saw only a cloud of dust as the Cutie Mark Crusaders shot off into the distance.

*******************************************************

“We have to find Rainbow Dash a special somepony!” Scootaloo cried as she zipped down the street.

“How the hay are we gonna do that?” Apple Bloom asked. “Rainbow Dash said nopony cool enough for her has any interest in her.”

“Well, that’s just in Ponyville.” Scootaloo exclaimed. “I know someone who’s perfect for Rainbow Dash. He’s almost as cool as she is!”

“Who’s that?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Sonic!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Come on! We have to get to Twilight’s house! That’s where the portal is!”

*******************************************************

It took a bit of time to get inside, since Twilight had magically locked her door, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders had to climb up through the observatory window.

“Couldn’t… we… have just asked… Twilight?” Sweetie Belle panted as she pulled herself in the window and plopped down on her rump. “That was… tough. And we didn’t… even get… a tree-climbing… Cutie Mark… for all that.”

“We can’t tell anypony!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Remember what Miss Cheerilee said? ‘Don’t force anypony together.’ If this is going to work, it has to be a secret, otherwise they won’t fall in love on their own!”

“Can a pony and a hedgehog even fall in love?” Apple Bloom questioned.

“Well, Sonic’s not like the hedgehogs in Equestria.” Scootaloo rationalized. “He can talk and stuff.”

“And I suppose that if Spike has a crush on my sister, it could work.” Sweetie Belle added.

“Wait.” Apple Bloom exclaimed. “Spike likes Rarity?”

“Yep. She knows, but she isn’t letting on.” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. “She said so in her diary. I’ve known, like, forever.”

“Okaaaay.” Apple Bloom said, making a weird face.

“The portal’s in the basement!” Scootaloo cried, dashing down the stairs.

“Now, wait up a second!” Apple Bloom called down. “Ain’t that thing supposed to be powered by a unicorn?”

“I could do it!” Sweetie Belle suggested.

*******************************************************

After about ten minutes of fruitless attempts to produce anything more than a small shimmer, let alone affect the portal, Sweetie Belle sat down dejectedly.

“Guess I need some practice.” she mumbled.

“Now what are we going to do?” Scootaloo asked.

Apple Bloom looked thoughtful. “Well… we may be able to get somepony who won’t spoil the secret to power it for us.” she suggested.

“But we don’t know any foals who have that kind of magic!” Sweetie Belle pointed out.

“Yeah, and what grown-up pony would be fun enough to go along with this?” Scootaloo asked. “They’d all reprimand us, and spoil the surprise!”

Apple Bloom looked thoughtful. Then a grin came across her face.

“I think I know somepony.”

*******************************************************

“Are you sure this will work?” Sweetie Belle asked. “Rarity says she’s kind of… immature.”

“That’s what we want!” Apple Bloom replied cheerfully. “Immature is jes’ big pony talk for lots of fun!”

“Yeah! After all, lot of ponies have told Rainbow Dash she’s immature!” Scootaloo agreed.

“Okay, but I don’t know about asking a big pony for help.” Sweetie Belle stated.

“Trust me. She’ll be dyin’ ta help us!” Apple Bloom said confidently, walking up to the door of the house and giving a rap on the wood.

“I’m coming!” a voice called from inside. There was a crash, and a “whoops”. After a few clattering sounds were heard, the door was opened by a mint-colored unicorn mare with a teal and white mane.

“Hey, kids!” she said cheerfully, looking down at the fillies with her large, golden eyes. She seemed to tower over the three fillies, mostly because she was standing in the most unusual position: on her back legs, like Pinkie Pie sometimes did.

“Sorry, Bon-Bon isn’t here right now.” the mare said. “She’s at her shop, making candy as usual. I hear she’s giving out free samples of a new type, if you wanna go down and try some!”

“Actually, Miss Heartstrings, we wanted ta talk to you.” Apple Bloom stated.

The mare looked surprised. “Okay, first, call me Lyra. Miss Heartstrings makes me feel like an old mare. And second, what’s up? I don’t get a lot of fillies who are interested in a lyrist around here. You looking for your lyre-playing Cutie Marks?”

“It’s kind of different than that.” Apple Bloom replied.

*******************************************************

“So… you want me to help you activate this magic portal in Twilight’s basement?”

“Yeah.” Scootaloo replied. “It’s not like we’re breaking into her house, because it is a public library. It’s just kind of… closed at the moment.”

“No problem.” Lyra replied, waving her hoof. “I’ve broken into Twilight’s library before. And you say that this portal is the one that goes to Mobius?”

“Uh-huh.” Sweetie Belle said with a nod.

“The land where… humans come from?” Lyra asked, her face slowly being taken over by a huge, excited grin.

“Yep, that’s the place!” Apple Bloom said brightly.

Lyra leapt to her hooves, throwing her front hooves in the air.

“What are we doing here?!” she cried. “Let’s go!”

*******************************************************

As they trotted down the street, the fillies gave Lyra a few stares, as did many passersby.

“Um, Miss Heart… Lyra, may I ask you a question?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“You just did!” Lyra exclaimed jokingly. “What is it, kid?”

“Why are you walking on your back hooves?”

“Practice.” Lyra replied. “I got some lessons on balance from Pinkie Pie and Zecora. Ponies have no idea just how useful walking like this is! My hooves are free to do whatever I want to do with them! I can carry stuff with ease now!”

“But… ain’t y’all got magic ta do that?” Apple Bloom asked quizzically.

“Um… yeah, but that isn’t the point.” Lyra stated. “This is how humans walk. When I walk like this, I’m practically the same height as them! Well, some of them, anyways. I wanted to get a little exercise in so I can fit in better on Mobius. Nobody walks on four legs there!”

“That sounds silly.” Apple Bloom stated. “It’s all unstable-like. And a lot of ‘em ain’t even got tails ta balance them out!”

“It’s human magic.” Lyra replied as they trotted up to the library.

Lyra levitated the three fillies into the window. Then, clawlike hands of golden magic encased her front hooves. She used these to quickly scale the side of the house and climb inside.

“Woah!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “That was cool!”

“And kind of creepy.” added Sweetie Belle, looking a little uncomfortable.

“Thanks.” Lyra replied. “I’ve been working on it. I use them mainly to play the lyre. Seriously, hands are pretty… handy.”

Lyra tossed the Crusaders a cheesy grin, as the three fillies slapped their foreheads at the awful pun.

“Well, the portal’s in the basement!” Apple Bloom exclaimed, dashing down the stairs. “Come on!”

*******************************************************

The portal activated easily enough for Lyra, and suddenly, warm sunlight and the sound of the surf filled the dimly lit basement.

“Woah.” Lyra breathed.

“Awesome.” Scootaloo muttered.

Sweetie Belle stuck her hoof through the portal, tapping the ground to make sure it was real.

As the Crusaders and Lyra stepped through the portal they looked about at the city they were now within. It was bright and sunny, with a lot of white or light grey buildings which helped it appear even brighter. The sound of waves crashed not too far away, and the ponies could see the beach.

“Ooooh.” they all crooned.

Scootaloo was the first to snap out of her amazed daze.

“Come on! We’ve got to find Sonic!” she cried.

“Mm? Oh, yeah, you kids run along and have fun now.” Lyra said distractedly, not taking her eyes off the view. She turned to see something coming down the street. The Crusaders thought it was kind of odd-looking. It was hairless except for its mane, and was walking on two feet.

Lyra squealed excitedly, bouncing like a little filly. She quickly stood on her back hooves, and began confidently trotting off after the creature.

“Hi!” Lyra exclaimed, hardly unable to contain her glee. “I’m kind of new here! Do you know where I could find some information about this… human city?”

The creature, which looked female, looked a little uncomfortably at Lyra’s somewhat creepily excited grin.

“Um… they offer tours of Solianna over there.” the woman exclaimed, pointing a finger. Lyra stared in awe at the manicured digit for a couple seconds before actually following where it was pointing.

“Thanks, human!” she cried, bounding off on her hind hooves with the skill of a pony who had walked like that for quite some time. “Now, don’t wander too far, girls!” Lyra called back.

Scootaloo slapped her forehead. “Well, she’s no help. Let’s ask around and see if we can’t find out where Sonic is.”

*******************************************************

Being as famous as Sonic was, it didn’t take long for someone to point the Crusaders in his direction. He was sitting at a beachside stand, munching on a chili dog. Actually, three chili dogs.

“Sonic!” the three fillies cried, running up to the blue hedgehog.

Sonic grinned at them. “Hey, kids!” he exclaimed. “You here on a field trip or something?”

“Er… not exactly.” Apple Bloom admitted.

“Are you free tomorrow?” Scootaloo asked, cutting to the chase.

Sonic chuckled, taking a bite of his chili dog. “I’m free every day.” he replied. “I run my own life, make my own schedules. Well, mostly, at any rate. I still help out Sal and the gang from time to time, and Eggman does have a habit of messing with my plans. But yeah, I’m free tomorrow. Why, what’s the big deal?”

“We were wondering if… um….” Scootaloo said, trying to find the right words, “…if you would like to, um… spend the day with Rainbow Dash. Since she’ll be kind of… lonely tomorrow. And we thought only a cool guy like you would be the kind of guy who could hang out with her.”

Sonic shrugged. “Sounds fun! I haven’t seen Dashie in a while. It’d be nice to have a good race again.”

“Great!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “So you’ll be by tomorrow?”

“You can count on it, big girl.” Sonic replied with a grin, finishing off his chili dogs. “Now… since you’re here, why don’t we hit the beach?”

“Yeah!” the little fillies cried. “Cutie Mark Crusader Beach Explorers! Yay!”