• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 5,133 Views, 339 Comments

Azeroth's Skies - TerrabreakerX



Twilight and Co. are swept across time and space after stopping a magical storm. What begins as a fight to survive in the strange world they find themselves in becomes a struggle to hold on to the values that brought them together. Crossover with WoW

  • ...
17
 339
 5,133

Pets, Magic and a whole lot of Light

Embarrassment, fear and shame were just a few of the emotions running through Fluttershy’s head as she barrelled her way through the streets of Stormwind, desperate to get as far away from the park as possible.

The occasional concerned guard looked her way along the roads, but she passed them too quickly for them to ask what was wrong.

She ran and ran and ran until she simply couldn’t anymore. Eventually she ground to a halt, doubling over to catch her breath after the physical effort she had just committed it to.

As the oxygen flooded back into her system and she slowly calmed down, she realised she’d made a terrible mistake. She’d run without a clue where she was going, and certainly not back the way she had come.

She was very, very lost.

Panic threatened to overwhelm her, but she kept going. Sitting down and waiting wouldn’t solve anything. She tried to retrace her steps, but the canals were like a maze to her, and she couldn’t find any helpful signs.

I think I’m just going in circles. Oh, no, no, no. What do I do now?

She thought now about asking one of the guards for help, but couldn’t bring herself to do it. The plate armour, their enclosed faces… they were just too emotionless, too intimidating. She didn’t dare approach them.

Continuing on regardless, Fluttershy found herself staring down a tunnel that didn’t seem familiar – but, then, if it wasn’t one she’d seen before, it could very well be a different way back into the Trade District they had started the day off in. Taking a deep breath and steeling herself, she started to walk through it.

She emerged out the other side into a world of noise and shouting. The very air seemed thicker here, heavy with the smell of burning, and of smoke. The whole area seemed somewhat darker than the rest of the city, even on such a bright morning. A horrible smog hung over it.

This clearly wasn’t the right way. She turned to go back out the way she came…

…and slammed straight into something big, tense, and yet oddly soft.

Dazed, she fell to the ground, rubbing her head. She slowly opened her eyes and came face-to-face with the angriest bear she’d ever seen.

“Muzzle! Damn insane bear! Watch out, miss, he can be a wee bit testy in tha’ mornin’—” someone shouted, but she could only half hear them. Suddenly the whole atmosphere of the place seemed to brighten for her.

Omigoshomigosh! He’s soooooo cute!

The black bear barely had time to raise a claw towards her before she moved, stroking its back with one hand and tickling its throat with the other. It calmed down immediately, and within moments she had it rolling on the floor, wagging its tail with its tongue sticking out.

“Tha’s… incredible.” This time she heard the voice clearly, and turned to its owner – and, presumably, the bear’s owner, too. He was short – much shorter than any of the humans she’d seen so far – but stocky, and he had a thick, bushy ginger beard. He stared at her in shock as she reduced his friend to an affectionate mess. “I’ve ne’er seen Muzzle act like that with anyone. Ye have a special touch, miss.”

Fluttershy blushed deeply. “Oh, I don’t know about that. I’m just really good at working with animals.”

The short person raised an eyebrow. “Oh? Where’re ye from?”

She couldn’t give him an answer to that, and panicked. What could she say? “Um. Um. Well. I, uh…” She tried to copy the others and say Sorry, but I have amnesia, but she couldn’t spit it out.

He seemed to guess that she wasn’t too great at speaking to strangers, and shrugged. “Does nae matter. M’name’s Thorfin, what’s yers?”

“F-F-Fluttershy.” It was easier to speak when she focused her attention on the bear, but she didn’t want to seem rude…

“Tha’s a funny name. A’ight Miss Fluttershy, ye jus’ migh’ be able to help me with a lil’ problem I’m havin’. See, Muzzle here isn’t ma pet, he belongs to a friend o’mine. He does nae like me, though, always tries escapin’.

“Now, ye seem really good with animals. I can tell tha’ just by lookin’ at ye with him. Think ye might be able ta help a foolish old dwarf out and gimme some pointers?”

He said dwarf like it was what he is; it didn’t seem like an insult. And those tall, scary people with purple skin from before… There must be lots of races on this planet…

It was a bit of a struggle keeping up with his accent, but she got the gist of it. She wasn’t too sure about walking off with a stranger, but, then again, everyone here was a stranger. She couldn’t just run and hide away in her home like she normally would when things got scary.

Her house was a little too far out of reach, after all.

She had to go and make more friends. And this was an opportunity to do so.

She realised suddenly that he was waiting for an answer.

“I… I’d be happy to.” she said at last, standing up from stroking the bear. “But… I’ve managed to get myself a little lost. After we’re done, could you show me where the trade district is please?”

“First time in Stormwind, eh?” He nodded sympathetically as he pointed her down the street at one of the houses. “Ye. It’s a lil’ confusing. I’d be happy to! Now, we’d best get movin’. I had a cuppa brewin’ when I came out to let Muzzle stretch his legs…”

---

“Just about made it back in time!” Twilight stood outside Trias’ shop, looking up at the clock tower. It was in the centre of the canal system, but it was quite visible from most of the city, she’d found. She’d made a note of the time that she’d left and had come back exactly four hours after.

Those were nice girls. She thought back to the new friends she’d just made in the Mage District. They were all a little younger than she was, and were all mages themselves; they turned out to be students of a powerful wizard. His name was Malin, and after giving the other girls a talking-to for being late and setting them some tasks, he’d poured some tea and sat down to talk with her.

She fed him the same amnesia story that she’d told everyone else, and he had replied that it wasn’t uncommon in Azeroth, then spent the rest of the time she had free trying to “refresh her memory” – which she’d taken as an excellent opportunity to learn more about the world.

She’d learned a lot, especially about their magic. Some of it seemed quite similar to what she was familiar with, but the strangest thing was that humans didn’t need horns to cast spells here – it seemed that anyone could do it, if they had a certain spark.

Malin had told her that he was quite certain that she had that spark. He offered her the chance to study with him at the tower for a time, and they would see if they could work towards getting her memory back at the same time.

Hopefully, access to the castle library would also help to jog it too.

She had hastily accepted, her eyes dancing at that last part.

Their time was up, so he’d sent for one of the girls – Suzanne, the darker redhead – to take her back to the trade district. They’d chatted all the way, and waved goodbye to each other at the end of the street.

My first new friend here! She’d smiled to herself as the mage had disappeared off towards the tower again. I hope Princess Celestia would be proud…

Looking inside the cheese shop, she saw Pinkie Pie waving happily to her from behind the counter, and nodded to Elaine as the older woman caught her eye and held up five fingers to her. The meaning was clear – five minutes.

“Twilight!” She turned at the sound of her name to find Fluttershy hurrying towards her. Twilight grinned as her friend skidded to a halt in front of her, panting for breath.

“Looks like you’re a little lighter on your feet now, Fluttershy! Great job!”

“Oh, dear, I’m not late, am I? I got a little side-tracked. Oh, and I’m so sorry that I ran off on you earlier! I didn’t mean to worry you, I—”

“It’s okay, Fluttershy.” Twilight interrupted – the former pegasus seemed close to hyperventilating. “We’ve still got a few more minutes. And I’m just glad that you’re okay. Did you have fun?”

Fluttershy calmed a little and gave her signature shy smile. “Oh, yes! I met some of the nicest dwarves, and they had this beautiful bear! They said I’m welcome to come back any time!”

Dwarves? The word flashed into Twilight’s mind – Malin had listed it as one of the races in the Alliance.

“That’s great! I met a few girls, they turned out to be mages! You know, it seems that magic in this world isn’t that different from back in Equestria, and…”

Once she was off, it was almost impossible for her to stop. Fluttershy listened patiently, nodding at the right moments.

Not too long later, Pinkie burst out of the shop, jumping into a hug with the two. She wanted to hear all about what they’d gotten up to, but it would have to wait – Elaine was waiting for the two inside. With that, she skipped off down the street.

“She’s amazing, that Pinkie Pie.” Elaine commented as the two entered the shop. “She’s a natural saleswoman. Elling’s not going to believe today’s figures.”

They giggled.

“Yep.” Twilight said. “Pinkie sure is special.”

---

Pinkie bounced up and down atop the battlements of the little keep, shifting her gaze all around her.

She’d asked Elaine where she could buy some treats, ‘cause everypon—uh, everyone knows that Pinkie just loves sweet things! And sharing sweet things, and double sharing sweet things, and triple—

There was a ‘gnome’, apparently. He sold ice cream. Strawberry ice cream. He would normally be in the trade district, but apparently today he was visiting his cousin, who wandered around the canal with a cart. Two gnomes! She just had to find them!
And how better than to look from a high vantage point in the middle of it all?

Elaine had given her an advance just so she could get some of the frozen treat. How nice is she? I know, right?

“Uh, ma’am?” She felt a tap on the shoulder, and turned to see one of the guards in full plate speaking to her. “How… how did you get up here?”

“Oh, you know!” Pinkie giggled, giving her biggest smile. “Just looking for a gnome or two!”

The guard smiled awkwardly back, and was about to say that that didn’t answer his question, but she’d spotted her target. “Aha!”

With that, she was on the keep no longer, leaving the guard standing around and scratching his head.

Five minutes later, she was slurping down the biggest strawberry ice cream cone she’d been able to buy. The gnome had assumed that she was dressing up for something, given her hair, and had charged her only half price. How nice of him! These people are all so nice!

Where do I go next? Maybe I’ll go look for the others, or—

Her nose twitched.

WAIT. I hear singing!

She hurried towards the source of the noise, heading down a few streets until she was within walking distance of a giant, pointy-roofed building with beautiful stained-glass windows. The singing was coming from inside. I’ve got to investigate!

The door was open, but she’d been a little too slow. The sound trailed off as she walked through, to be replaced by the droning hum of a mass of people talking.

She emerged into a giant, brightly lit room, where rows of seats stretched towards the back of the building and a blocky, cloth-covered rectangle sat atop a tiered platform.

And in front of that stood a group of eight people, all dressed in white robes. Each carried a book in their hands.

“We are getting there, my friends!” one of the eight said joyously. His robes were more opulent than the rest; he had a grey, scratchy beard and a naturally long face, but his eyes spoke of warmth and hugs and light and warm fires and—“Just a few more tries, from the top!”

OMIGOSH! They’re going to sing again!

“Ooh, are you going to sing again?” Pinkie was beside the man suddenly, and he jumped. The others looked startled. “Can I join in? I love singing so much!”

“Erm, I’m sorry, miss, but our rehearsals aren’t open to the public, I’m afraid you’ll—”

“Oh, is this a private party? I just love those! They’re the best! Well, except public parties, they’re even better! I just love how you can use so much more confetti and streamers and banners and everything at a public party! And, I mean, you can get soooo much more singing in as well! And the more people that sing, the better it gets, until you just get this huge mashing together of sound and people and fun! And laughter’s the best part about all that, because when you’re laughing, you’re having fun, right? I’m sure you guys know that, you’re having a party right now, aren’t you? I dunno, though, it could use a lot more confetti and streamers! How’s this?”

She twirled around, jumped into the air and landed on her knees. The air exploded in a burst of confetti, streamers and other party equipment.

They all gaped at her.

“I… I…” The big hat man stammered.

“Archbishop Benedictus! Look! My hand! The finger I cut at the start of the session…!” one of the other men in the group gasped loudly.

“I remember. What of it, my child?”

“She… she healed it!”

There was a flurry of movement as the group closed up around the man with the injured finger. She could hear them whispering.

“…didn’t even cast a spell…”

“…remarkable…”

“…what was in that confetti?”

She frowned. Didn’t they like the confetti? Maybe I should go…

The whispering stopped abruptly. The group took one last look at her and then seven of them departed, scurrying off to different adjacent rooms in the building, leaving only the man with the glitzy robes and big hat.

“Forgive me my child.” He started slowly, a small smile on his lips. “But I do not believe we have ever met. My name is Archbishop Benedictus.” He reached out his hand.

“My name’s Pinkie Pie! Nice to meet you!” She grinned happily, shaking his hand vigorously.

“Well then, Miss Pinkie Pie. What do you know about the Holy Light?”

---

Rainbow Dash sighed as she stalked down the streets. At least she wasn’t tired; being on standby had let her go straight back to sleep, and she’d never be up before ten in a normal situation.

Normally, she’d just find a nice cloud to lie down on, tuck her wings away, make sure the breeze was just light enough, and then she would snooze. Waking up to the sun shining overhead was the best thing ever.

Of course, this wasn’t a normal situation.

And I don’t have my wings.

She’d wanted to stay and sleep some more, but Elaine had forced her out. “The day’s not meant for staying in bed.” the woman had barked. “Go get some fresh air!”

She looked up, gazing at the sky. There were a few clouds here and there, none that would have been too much for her to handle back in Equestria. She imagined how she’d deal with each one, shift them round in the sky, and…

All she could think about was flying, or her wings. Every few steps she felt the instinctual urge to jump. Let the wind catch her and just… take off.

But I can’t. Not anymore.

What’s a pegasus pony without her wings?

Heck, I’m not even a pony anymore. What are humans even good at, anyway? I guess the hands are kinda useful, but that’s about it. I could run faster back home. I could fly…

Without my wings, am I even awesome anymore?

She sighed again and continued walking around the canals. She had no idea where she was going, and didn’t particularly care.

A pink blur dashed off to her right, and she tracked it out of reflex. Years of living with Pinkie Pie had trained that into her.

And sure enough, there went her pink-haired friend, zooming into a passage that lead past a signpost that said “Cathedral District”.

What’s a cathedral? Never mind…

“Hey, Pinkie, wait up!” Rainbow shouted, but went unheard. She broke into a run and followed her.

She’d been athletic as a pony, and it paid off in this body too. Racing against most people, she suspected that she’d do pretty well.

But Pinkie was Pinkie, and she didn’t count as “most people”.

Rainbow counted herself lucky that she at least managed to catch a glimpse of her friend before the latter disappeared into a large building that took up the majority of the square.

Is this a cathedral?

Rainbow hesitated at the door; even though it was open, she doubted Pinkie would have stopped outside anyway. But no, it seemed that it was supposed to be, so she cautiously walked inside.

The majority of the building turned out to be one room, a vast, tall, echoing hall. Rainbow paused at the edge of it to watch Pinkie introduce herself to a group of men and women. She found it difficult to stifle a laugh as the pink-haired girl broke into a monologue that ended in her showering the rest in party materials.

“Benedictus’s recruits get stranger by the day.” A deep voice rang out, and she jumped. A man had come out of a side room in front of her, and had seen Pinkie’s performance too. He was tall, decked out in gilded silver plate armour that glinted in the light. An eye-patch covered one of his eyes – the other appeared a fairly standard brown. Most impressive however was the massive, shining hammer that he carried one-handed, almost like it was nothing.

The man looked her over properly, and smiled. “I’m sorry. A friend of yours?”

Dash looked back to Pinkie, who now appeared deep in conversation with a man in brightly-coloured robes with an oddly tall hat. “Uh… yeah. How’d you know?”

The man shrugged. “You both stand out.”

“Oh… yeah. Well, I’d best be on my way. Wouldn’t want to keep you.” She turned to go.

“Really?” the man asked, and she stopped. “I thought you might be here for the display. You certainly look like you’d be interested.”

“What display? And why d’ya say that?”

“My paladins are putting on a demonstration of how they’ve progressed in their training; it’s open to the public, as we’re always looking for new recruits.” the man replied. “From the way you carry yourself, you look like you’ve received some military training.”

She hadn’t even thought about that. I guess all that time with the Wonderbolts must have made me stand up straight here…

“Uh, yeah, I guess so. Kinda.” She was still tempted to just leave; she didn’t know what a paladin was and wasn’t particularly curious. And yet…

I’ve got nothing better to do. Maybe this’ll pass some time?

“…all right. I’ll stay.”

The man smiled, and held out a hand, and she shook it. “Excellent. Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker, at your service.”

“Uh… Rainbow Dash. Nice to meet you.”

He nodded and showed her into the room he had first come out of. There, two men and a woman knelt down, each in front of a crudely-made wooden dummy with a straw face, their heads bowed, eyes closed, hands clasped together. Each had a weapon sheathed over their backs; a sword, a hammer, an axe, and yet they did not seem inclined to use them.

Two minutes passed and Rainbow was starting to feel like this was a mistake. They’re just sitting there, not even doing anything. They just– woah!

Her jaw dropped.

As one, the three trainees rose up and drew their weapons. They opened their eyes, which glowed white-hot like the sun, a glow which spread down their arms, to their hands, and then onto their weapons. Rainbow could feel the warmth radiating from them from across the room. It was a feeling of… belonging. Of being welcomed.

Faster than she would have thought possible, they brought their weapons down and cleaved through the dummies. Slashed, crushed, hacked. The result was the same all round – splinters everywhere.

Grayson went to each trainee in turn, whispering quiet words of praise and encouragement; they each bowed and then left the room.

She didn’t know what to think. The light had faded so quickly, but… for the brief time it had shined, she had felt like there was nothing wrong with the world. Just for a moment, she hadn’t felt the ache of her missing wings.

Just for a moment.

“Well?” Grayson had returned, and was looking at her intently with a wry smile on his face.

“I’m not going to exaggerate. But that. Was. AWESOME!” she cried. “The way they crushed those dummies… that light… so much warmth…!”

“Indeed. You speak as if you’re not familiar with the Light; have you never come across it before?”

“Well, I, uh…” Amnesia, Rainbow. Amnesia! Twilight’s voice flooded her head for a moment. “I had a bit of an… accident. Don’t remember much apart from my name.”

“Hmm. In that case, maybe I can help to refresh your memory. Would you like to hear about the Holy Light?”

Hmm…

On the one hand, it sounds like he’s going to talk a lot. I’ve never been that great at learning stuff.

On the other, I’ve still got lots of time to kill, and…

The memory of the feeling of that strange, comforting light flashed through her again, and her mind was suddenly made up.

“I’m listening.” she said.

Author's Note:

Had to cut this off because it was getting too long! Expect AJ and Rarity's classes next time, but I think Fluttershy's, Pinkie's and Rainbow's should be pretty clear now. :)

Alt Title: The Day Pinkie and RD Discovered Religion.

...

trollface.jpg :3