• Published 23rd Apr 2014
  • 3,205 Views, 131 Comments

Apple Bloom and Diamond Tiara: The Reason For The Feud - Never2muchpinkie



The Apples and the Riches have had a good relationship for a few generations, up until Apple Bloom and Diamond Tiara. What is it about Apple Bloom that makes Diamond Tiara so mad, and can they ever reconcile their differences?

  • ...
1
 131
 3,205

Epilogue 3: Truce

All Silver Spoon’s frustration at Diamond Tiara had faded. As she ran in the direction of her friend’s house she came upon the three fillies she disliked most of all. Again, though, she felt no rage. This was bigger than her feelings.

As much as it stung her pride to have to ask THEM for help she couldn’t just allow those foalnappers to keep her friend. “Hey!”

The three of them turned to Silver Spoon and immediately all three of them gave her annoyed expressions. “What do YOU want?” asked Sweetie Belle. “Came to diss us some more?”

“No! This is something much more important than that! Look!” She held out the letter.

Apple Bloom could see how panicked Silver Spoon looked so she took it. As she read the letter her eyes went wide. “W-what is this? D-Diamond Tiara’s been kidnapped!”

“WHAT?” Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo said loudly, both taking a place over her shoulder to read the note herself.

“Look,” said Silver Spoon, “this isn’t about whether we like or hate each other. We have to save her! We can go back to hating each other later.”

As much as they hated to say it they couldn’t disagree with it. “Fine, then,” said Apple Bloom. “A truce. Fer now.” She held out her hoof.

“Truce,” she responded, meeting it.

“Let’s go, then! I have a plan! We just need a few more ponies first.”

******

Diamond Tiara was finally set down and the blindfold taken off. She was sitting in a big cage in a pretty dark room. One of the ponies was still standing there watching over her. She looked around her and saw she was alone. “H-hey! Where’s my aunt?”

“That’s none of your concern,” said the stallion. “She’s not what we’re after so she’s somewhere else.”

“And what do you want?”

“Bits, of course. You’re the heiress of a very wealthy stallion. Just be quiet and wait. I’m sure your daddy loves you very much so he’ll pay whatever we demand.”

A part of her felt relieved they weren’t going to hurt her. She knew her dad would do anything to get her back so she wasn’t concerned about that. There was the big possibility they’d have to downsize everything to get by after, but… that was okay with her. So long as she had her parents that was all she really needed.

She sat down on the floor. There was no need to make a fuss. The old her would have complained and raised a fit, too worried about high society and money to want to risk having their wealth diminished by even a single bit. Taking a deep breath she actually felt a small smile come to her lips. There was no need to worry. She knew her dad loved her very much, so worry was unnecessary.

**********

The three Crusaders and Silver Spoon had split up into two groups. Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon headed to the schoolyard, while Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo headed toward the park. Each of them was to get as many recruits as possible.

As they were running along Apple Bloom thought of how she had hated Diamond Tiara up until she found out that one powerful piece of information she kept deep in her heart... of the intense jealously of not being close to her own family the way the Apples were. What if Silver Spoon had a similar secret?

When they were almost at the schoolhouse the two of them stopped to catch their breath. When they were almost back to normal Apple Bloom thought it was a great opportunity to see if she could glean any information about her other biggest rival.

“Silver Spoon, do ya know why Diamond Tiara joined us?”

The silver pony stumbled a bit at the question. “How should I know? I thought we agreed to save this for later. You really think I want to be working with YOU? It’s your fault Diamond Tiara threw me away. But no matter how angry I am at her for that I’m not going to sit around and do nothing when she’s been foalnapped.”

“This incident gives us the chance ta talk fer a change. It was through talking that Diamond Tiara and I managed to put our differences aside and find something in common that made us want ta become friends. She told me about how her parents were more interested in working than her most of the time, so she gave up on them and decided to rely on herself and throw her power around so no one could see how she was really feeling on the inside.”

“Can you STOP?” Silver Spoon said nastily. “You should be grateful I’m willing to work with a loser like you! I don’t have any sob story like that! All right? I just don’t LIKE you! I don’t like anything about you!”

Apple Bloom felt unfazed. There was a defensiveness in Silver Spoon’s demeanor now that seemed to show she wasn’t telling the truth. “I think it's fer the best that I was the one ta be partnered with ya and that we're alone. Scootaloo can be kinda nasty, and Sweetie Belle can be indecisive when it comes to group decisions, not wanting ta hurt anyone’s feelings. I guess that’s why I’m the unofficial leader of the group.

"I know that there’s something yer not telling me. I think you have the same sort of issues as Diamond Tiara. That’s why you clung to her as yer social hero. Being affiliated with someone 'cool' would make ya cool by association. Now Diamond Tiara wants ta hang out with 'losers' so yer only choice is ta become a 'loser' yerself or ta try ta push her ta be her old self. Why don’t ya give it a try before mocking it as stupid? I’d be willing ta be friends with ya just like Diamond Tiara if ya would only apologize and try ta be a better pony.”

Silver Spoon’s gaze was full of suspicion and distrust. “And why would you do that? You must want something out of it! The same way you’re probably using Diamond Tiara for something. What, did you finally run out of cutie mark schemes that don’t cost any money? No wonder you tried to befriend the richest girl in class.”

“Hmph. Y’know, Diamond Tiara said much the same at first when I offered ta be her friend. I’ll give ya the same response I gave ta her: the only thing in it fer me is the value of yer friendship. If Diamond Tiara can learn it then so can you. After all, if yer following after her that strongly you’ll be able ta imitate her. Ya can at least give it a try. If ya don’t like it ya can always go back ta the way things were before and ya won’t have ta deal with the lame Cutie Mark Crusaders anymore.”

Silver Spoon had a very sour look on her face. “I don’t get you. I don’t get you at all. That’s NOT how a normal pony would talk. You’re supposed to be angry and hate those that wrong you.”

“I did…up ‘til my sister told me about the past.”

“And what does THAT mean?”

“My parents both died soon after I was born. Applejack told me about hating my guts and blaming me fer what happened ta them. It was Big Mac who set her straight and showed her how wrong she was being. She managed ta befriend me, her worst enemy, because she forgave me and herself for something neither of us had control over. And that made me see a bit about the similarities of our situation, and it was why I wanted ta forgive Diamond Tiara.

“I want ta do things that will make my parents proud of me. Even if ya spit at the attempt I know that trying ta become friends with ya despite our history together will allow me ta do that.”

“You’re a fool,” said Silver Spoon, turning away from her and walking again. “You don’t know anything about me.”

Apple Bloom hesitated a moment and then continued walking, deciding to let things go. There were bigger priorities at the moment than their relationship, as Silver Spoon had said before.

“Hmph! Think you know sooo much!” Silver Spoon muttered under her breath. “My parents are jet-setters. They like to go on lavish and extravagant trips. They can be away for a month or more at a time. While they’re away I get the run of the house, and I’m used to the best of the best.

"The only reason I’m not there with them all the time is because they want me to get an education. They also said I should try to focus on the best in the class. Get in good with the rich girl and maybe you can use her status as friends to try to manipulate a merger and become even greater.

"Only the best is accepted. Only the most powerful is acceptable. Go big or go home! Be amazing! Be awesome! Be popular! Crush all those beneath you! You’re better than them! You were made for greatness! Accept nothing less! You don’t want to tarnish the family name… DO YOU?”

Apple Bloom had a curious look on her face. Somewhere along the way Silver Spoon began sounding like she was talking to herself. “So is that what this is all about? Yer parents don’t care about ya as a pony, only about what status and prestige you can give to them?”

“HUH?” Silver Spoon suddenly shook her head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Look, let’s just hurry and go rescue that weakling Diamond Tiara.” She suddenly began running.

Apple Bloom felt like pressure to excel was what was pushing Silver Spoon to be the way she was. She couldn’t accept anyone as an equal or else she felt like she’d drag her and her family down. Only someone of equal wealth and status could be considered a friend.

Apple Bloom ran after her until she was running alongside her. “It doesn’t always have ta be that way. The most powerful status ya could have is a good friend. Ya can be great, Silver Spoon. Forget what yer parents say. Ya are of GREAT value. Ya just need ta see that it doesn’t make ya better than everyone else.”

“Oh, stop!” she snapped. “I don’t want to hear anymore! I don’t know what dumb tricks you tried on Diamond Tiara but they’re not gonna work on me!”

Apple Bloom decided to let it go again. Silver Spoon’s voice had been quivering at her last sentence, making her think she didn’t really believe what she was saying.

The two of them arrived at the schoolyard, seeing about sixteen kids playing soccer.

Apple Bloom thought this was perfect! With the kids here and the ones Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle could get this was going to work just fine for what she had in mind!