• Published 23rd Apr 2014
  • 6,885 Views, 201 Comments

I'm Captain America - skyace



A lonely comic book geek finds himself transported to Equestria, endowed with his favorite superhero's powers. He finds himself caught between a genocidal griffon and his intended victims, the Mane Six.

  • ...
80
 201
 6,885

It gets better... Kinda

Silence. Complete absence of sound. Twilight Sparkle was very well acquainted with Merry Webbing’s dictionary definition of silence, and was further acquainted with the forms said silence could take. There was Contemplative and Golden, Charged and Pregnant. And then there was the black sheep of the silence family, the one the other silences would see sneaking into the family reunion when it thought the others weren’t looking; the Awkward Silence. Laying there, wrapped in chains from muzzle to dock and staring at the bizarrely attired human that had just finished decimating the forces that had captured them, Twilight realized that not only had Awkward Silence descended upon them all, but it had brought along its distant cousin, the Pregnant Pause.

“I’m Captain America.”

What. No, seriously, What. Ok Twilight, deep breaths, approach the situation logically.

1. There was a human, a creature not native to Equestria, standing in front of them.
2. He had apparently appeared as a result of her attempt to connect her magic with the Alicorn Amulet, which had reacted in a chaotic explosion of power that would have left Discord in a giddy fit.
3. He claims to be a captain, so perhaps a member of the human world’s military. (Addendum to 3, he is wearing a uniform of some sort, thus bearing out the previous hypothesis, however the colors and style seemed needlessly bright and stylized. Further research into human military standards required.)
4. His given name, “America”, triggered a memory of an atlas glanced over in the Canterlot High library. Due to time constraints, only cursory information available; one of the largest nations of the human world, highly advanced in terms of technology, democratic system of government. Perhaps a codename?

Further analysis was cut short, thanks to Rainbow Dash’s decision to begin thrashing around in her bonds in an attempt to break free, all while directing a stream of questions that ranged from the belligerently interrogative to almost fan-fillyish awe.

“Hey! You in the spandex! What kinda name is A-mare-ica anyhow? Where’d you learn to fight like that, you took those scuzz-bags apart! Who you workin’ for anyhow? What’s that thing ya got strapped to your arm, a shield? What kinda lameo weapon is that? Oh man, when you punched that one dude did you see HMPH!!!” Surprisingly, it was Pinkie who had stuffed a hoof into the gushing Dash’s mouth. Somehow managing to direct an apologetic glance at both the human and her glaring friend, she kicked the last of her shackles off.

“Sorry Dashie, but I think those questions can wait until after we escape and stop those meanie-pants griffons.”

This seemed to wake the human up, as he visibly shook himself and stepped forward to begin struggling with the knots holding Rarity’s legs bound. She favored him with a dazzling smile, the effect of which at close range seemed to almost knock the human backwards. “Most obliged for your assistance Captain. Or, do you prefer, Mr. Amareica?”

Regaining his composure, the human managed to return Rarity’s words with a grin of his own. “No problem, er, miss. Just so you know, Captain America isn’t actually my name, I’m just sorta… borrowing it for now.”

Shaking her now freed limbs, Rarity took a few dainty steps to restore feeling to her hooves before turning her attention to untangling Rainbow Dash’s wings.
“Really now? And what would your true name be, if I may be so bold as to inquire?”

She was forced to leap backwards with a yelp of surprise, as Dash’s wings suddenly flared as the newly freed Pegasus leapt into the air to hover around the human. Flinching away from the rush of feathers and rainbow mane and tail, the human almost stumbled over the still bound Fluttershy, coming to rest sprawled almost nose to nose with the wide-eyed pony. Swallowing, the human directed a nervous smile at the trembling mare. “Um, Hi?”

Fluttershy was saved from having to answer, as Rainbow swooped down and hauled the human back to his feet. Quickly releasing the bonds holding Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash directed a scathing glance over at Rarity as she attempted to calm her fillyhood friend with surprisingly gently hooves. “Seriously? You’re already flirting with the new guy?”

Rather than dignifying Rainbow’s sarcastic question with a reply, Rarity instead set about freeing Applejack, though not without a huffy toss of her mane and an offended “Hmph!”

Rolling to her hooves, Applejack took a moment to retrieve her Stetson before stomping the lock holding Twilight’s chains shut. “All flirtin’ aside, jus’ what is yer name? An’ jus’ what are ya? Pardon mah sayin’ so, but Ah ain’t never seen nothin’ like you in all my born put t’gether.”

Finally freed, six brightly hued equines found themselves facing an equally garishly clad human, one who seemed more than a little shell-shocked. Sinking to the ground, the ponies watched as he set his shield to one side, before reaching up and unbuckling his mask, allowing it to join the shield on the cool concrete. Running his hand through his dirty blond hair, the human scrubbed his palm down his face to reveal two small blue eyes that peered back at the ponies with bewilderment clear in their gaze. “Look, just, give me a second, alright?”

Surprisingly, it was Fluttershy who responded first. Before any of her friends could make a move or a sound, she had crossed over to where the strange creature was sitting, and begun stroking its arm comfortingly. “Um, that’s okay. We won’t rush you, just take your time.”

Tensing at first, the human visibly relaxed under the animal caretaker’s gentle touch, even going so far as to smile back at her. “Thanks, I think I’m gonna be alright though. It’s just a lot to take in, ya know?”

Nodding her understanding, Fluttershy switched from patting his arm to gently rubbing his back. “I understand. Um, I’m Fluttershy and these are my friends” here she began pointing out each in turn “Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack.”

“A pleasure to be sure darling.”
“Sup.”
“Hello!”
“Hidie-Hi!”
“Howdy.”

Slowly beginning to relax under Fluttershy’s gentle ministrations, the human nodded his acknowledgement of each pony’s greeting. “Nice to meet all of you. Sorry for freaking out there for a second it’s just…” here a pause to gnaw his lip “You’re all talking ponies!”

A moment for each of the ponies in question to trade confused glances, with Rainbow being slightly more vocal. “Nah, really?! We didn’t notice. Thanks for the heads up Sherclop.”

The human shook his head. “No, you don’t understand. This is crazy! Ponies don’t talk, griffons and trolls are fantasy characters, and” an incredulous glance at certain appendages “for that matter, so are pegasi and unicorns!”

“Your face is a fantasy character!”

“Rainbow Dash!”

“What?! What’d I say?”

“Darling, there is simply no call for such a crude reaction. The poor creature is obviously from a sheltered society where he has simply not come into contact with the likes of ponykind.”

“Sheltered? More like from under a dadgum rock, if’n you’ll pardon me sayin’ so Mr. Amareica.”

“Uh, no offense taken? But my name isn’t America, it’s…”

“AJ’s right! Even if he never saw a pony, how the ever-loving cirrus clouds has he never seen a frikkin diamond dog?! Or a griffon for that matter?!”

“If I could get a word in edgewise?”

“That’s my point exactly. Jus’ where in the Sam Hill is he from?”

“Actually, I’m from…”

“Oooh Oooh, maybe he’s from Oatstralia?! They have all kinds of quirky critters from down under. Snerk, quirky! Funny word.”

“Um, Oats-what? No, I’m from…”

“Don’t be silly Pinkie. Ehrm, sillier I suppose. Fluttershy is quite well versed in the fauna of this world, and even she hasn’t recognized this… being.”

GIRLS!!!

Sudden silence. Twilight refolded her wings to her sides, while allowing the glow surrounding her horn to dissipate. She would have to remember to thank Princess Luna for teaching her the spell for the Royal Voice, it did occasionally come in handy. Her momentary smugness dissipated quickly however, as she looked around at the group collectively wincing and rubbing her ears. Note to self: the Voice is best used in an open area, not in an enclosed warehouse with surprisingly excellent acoustics.

“Ahem, sorry about that. But if everypony could allow our guest to speak for himself? I think I know what he is, but it would be best if he could confirm my theory.”

Once more, six pairs of eyes trained themselves on the newcomer, this time in eager anticipation. Glancing from one to the other, the human finally drew a deep breath before speaking.

“Well, I guess we’ll start with who I am, since that seems to be causin’ the most confusion. My actual name is Roger Stevenson. The costume I’m in is based off of a comic book superhero named Captain America. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasn’t really thinking very clearly when ya’ll first asked my name.”

Pausing for a moment to allow this to sink in with his audience, Roger cleared his throat before continuing. “As for what I am, I’m a human. I was on my way home from a comic convention when I was sucked into a ball of light, and BAM! I wake up sicker than a dog in freakin’ Narnia.”

Twilight raised a hoof. “Equestria actually, not Narnia… wherever that is supposed to be. You look very similar to the humans I encountered in a mirror universe to this one, with a few apparent cosmetic differences.”

This last statement garnered a raised eyebrow. “Differences? Mirror Universe? Okay, I figured I wasn’t in Kansas anymore, but you’re saying I’m in a completely different universe?”

Nodding eagerly, Twilight eagerly launched into lecture mode. “Indeed, as proven by Starswirl the Bearded in the Fortieth Year After Nightmare (40 A.N.), there are in fact countless parallel Earths residing in equally countless parallel universes. I myself have visited two such mirror worlds, both of which resembled Equestria to a certain extent but differed in key areas. Since you only passingly resemble the humans I encountered in the first parallel world I visited, I can hypothesize that you in fact originate from a third alternate universe, and I can further…”

Anything further would be left un-theorized, as an orange hoof inserted itself into Twilight’s rambling mouth. “As interestin’ as this all is sugercube, Ah’m afraid we got bigger problems than Mister Stevenson’s home. Such as, didn’t we come tah Manehattan with a passel of Royal Gaurds? What in tarnation happened to those fellers?!”

Pinkie chose that moment to twitch as though experiencing a seizure. “Oh my gosh-oh-golly! You’re totally right AJ, we forgot all about poor Lieutenant Skipper an’ Sergeant Slice an’ Corporal Stalwart an’ Private Hollow an’ Private Private an’ Private Face an’ …” a second orange hoof corked the run-on rollcall before she could go further down the roster.

Twilight nodded her head decisively. “Right! You’re right Pinkie and Applejack, There’s no time for conjecture; we have to make sure those griffons haven’t done something awful to those soldiers. They would have tried to rescue us if they had been able, which means something must have gone wrong. Okay everypony (and human), here’s the plan. Rainbow Dash, you and I will go high and make sure there are no more nasty surprises waiting for us.” The Pegasus snapped a crisp salute, leaping into a hover in preparation for action.

“Rarity, Fluttershy, you two will be our support. Hang back and guard our backs, and be ready to help if anypony’s hurt.”

Both ponies nodded their understanding, one more firmly than the other, with Fluttershy swallowing convulsively and nervously checking to make sure she still had her first aid kit safely packed in her saddlebags.

Order’s issued, Twilight turned to the last two ponies and one confused human. “Pinkie and Applejack, you two are our muscle. If we encounter a problem that Rainbow or I can’t handle, I’m trusting one of you girls to handle it. And finally” she turned a concerned glance upwards “I understand I have no right to ask this of you, considering all you did to aid us already, but could you help Applejack and Pinkie Pie, Mister Stevenson?”

Once more, six pairs of eyes fell upon the human, this time reflecting a mixture of nerves, fear, hope, and eager excitement. Taking a moment to look from one pony to the next, Roger Stevenson heaved a deep sigh, before standing to his full considerable height and hefting his shield to one shoulder. “Look, I’m not gonna lie, I’m scared right the heck outa my mind right now. This morning, I was jus’ a college student, trying to enjoy a comic nerd gathering, and now I find myself looking like something outa some bodybuilder magazine, with fighting moves I’ve only seen in movies that I barely know how to use.” Picking up his helmet/mask, he fingered the odd piece of headgear for a breath before slipping it on and turning a slightly wild grin on the assembly. “But heck, I’d also be lyin’ if I said that I ain’t having the time of my life right now. So just call me Captain America, ‘cause I’m ready to kick some Nazi bird ass.”

Oh man. Oh Lord in Heaven, what is wrong with me?! I just agreed to follow a freakin’ winged unicorn and her candy colored pony posse into battle against some griffon knock-off Red Skull to save a bunch more Technicolor miniature horses from what sounds like a messy end. I’m not a soldier, I’m not a fighter, and I’m sure as spit not a hero. I’m just a good ol’ boy from Texas, trying to make it through university while battling nothing more intimidating than grouchy professors and the freshman fifteen. I keep blinking my eyes, thinking that I’ll wake up in my cramped little dorm with the scent of week-old laundry and stale pizza boxes, with the Avengers movie theme blaring from my computer speakers.

Instead I find myself tearing along behind the aforementioned pony patrol, moving at a speed that some disbelieving corner of my brain keeps reminding me should be impossible for a normal human being in even the best of shape. And somewhere along the way, as I vault a stack of crates a good ten feet high and come abreast the seemingly constantly giggling Pinkie pony, I decide to put my earlier words to action and just enjoy whatever boons this crazy universe has decided to grant me.

Military grade boots pound across concrete loading areas, as a belt with an all-too-real feeling Colt .45 slaps my thigh while peering ahead through a mask that has gone from cotton to what I think is some kind of Kevlar, with more of the same encasing my body from neck to boots. Incredibly, instead of restricting my movements, this suit conforms to my body as though it had been painted on, and moves and flexes as though it were a second skin rather than bulky body armor. And on my left arm? What was once a satellite television dish cut and painted to somewhat resemble a movie prop, was a perfectly contoured disk of the sturdiest metal I had ever encountered. Even after deflecting any number of bullets, arrows, clubs and enemy craniums, the red, white and blue saucer showed no sign of dents, dings or even chipped paint.
Up ahead, I could see a mixed gang of griffons (holy smokes, real griffons!) and more of those dog trolls attempting to attach a winch to a large cage, in preparation to hoist it aboard what looked like some sort of cargo ship. My newly enhanced vision picked out the huddled forms of what appeared to be more multi-hued ponies lying motionless on the cage floor, and a frightening feeling of hot rage suddenly began to pound against my temples. Nothing deserved to be treated in that fashion, knocked senseless and dumped into a cage, bound for slavery or worse. Taking in the determined faces of the pony-girls running alongside me, that feeling of rage and adrenaline suddenly morphed into a savage feeling of exhilaration. These alien creatures had shown me kindness, and perhaps even friendship. Me, who was the true alien to this world. Hero or no, there was no way in hell I was gonna turn my back on that.

Scrambling up a stack of wooden shipping crates, I catapulted myself from their summit boots first into a griffon that looked as though he was a sentry, laying him flat and rolling forward from the strike to come to a crouched position that allowed me to power myself shield first into a dog-troll’s face. Heh, didn’t even feel the vibrations from the strike. Throwing back my head, I let loose with a undulating “WaaaaaHooooo!!!!” as I pivoted around to grab a fleeing griffon by it’s tail and swing him into another that was readying what looked like some sort of musket.

Pivoting from the groaning forms of my first targets, I watched as the Marvelous Mare Brigade (what? I’m a comic geek, sue me) pitched into the gang’s front lines. The pegasus, Dash I think, proved to be more than a match for the griffons in the air, zipping around them and landing punishing high-speed strikes to delicate-looking wings that left her hulking foes spiraling into the ground with pained squawks and yowls. The unicorn/pegasus hybrid Twilight (must. Resist. Vampire. Joke.) was strafing the gang members that had chosen to remain on the ground, firing quick bursts of light from her horn that exploded on contact, knocking her targets sprawling with similar shouts of pain and surprise.
Further back, the white unicorn Rarity was levitating hunks of rock and brick from the ground around her and pelting the foe with frightening accuracy, landing hits with what looked like bruising velocities. Pressed nearly right up against her was the little yellow pegasus who had been the first to show me kindness and consideration, looking out at the carnage through adorably oversized, terrified eyes that seemed to just radiate a desire for someone to grab her up and squeeze her tight and pet her quivering little ears and protect her from the cruel, heartless world… ahem.

Apparently choosing to get up close and personal with the enemy and engage face to face, Applejack was dashing in and out of their motley ranks, pivoting on her forelegs and driving her hind legs into whatever unlucky sonofagun happened to get in her way, sending them hurtling into crates, the sides of the ship, other griffons or dogs, or the cold looking water of the harbor. Despite their small size, these ponies were proving to be frighteningly strong. Her fellow ‘normal’ pony, Pinkie, had somehow managed to acquire a miniature old-timey style cannon that fired… confetti? Weird, but somehow effective, as each blast left her targets hopelessly snarled in streamers and other assorted party supplies. Equally inconceivably, she was dressed in what looked like a miniature version of a General Patton uniform, complete with a baby blue helmet while a novelty Groucho Marx glasses, complete with bushy moustache and oversized nose, dangled down against a lollipop held clenched in a wild grin. Despite lugging around an artillery piece almost as large as she was, none of the gangsters seemed able to lay a claw on her, as she danced and contorted around them with a giggle and a blast from her confetti cannon.

Turning from the reality bending pony with a shudder, I turned my attention to more pressing matters, such as the crew of griffons wrestling with a large tarp on the deck of the ship, and… was that a dadgum GATLING GUN?! Sure enough, it looked like this particular band of viscous cutthroats had brought what looked like an old school machine gun to this fistfight, and was getting set to turn it on our collective sorry butts. Ripping open my holster, I jerked free what this morning had been a cheap water pistol and trained it on the gun crew who were by now in the final stages of loading a clip into the wickedly gleaming death dealer mounted on the deck above us. Rapidly squeezing the trigger, my first two shots went wild as I struggled to compensate for the considerable recoil the now very real firearm possessed. The following six rounds found their marks among the gun crew, knocking them away from the Gatling in an explosion of feathers and cries of pain. I froze, nearly dropping the gun in my shock. I knew what I was doing, if I hadn’t acted, both companions and most likely myself would be dead, and it was better that the gun crew died than we did. Even so, I had just knowingly killed what was for all intents and purposes another living, thinking person. Then, as I wrenched my gaze away from the sprawled bodies on the ship and mechanically began loading a new clip into my now empty weapon, I noticed something odd. The clip in my hand was loaded with rubber rounds! My knees nearly gave out in sudden relief as I looked from the clip in my hand to the now painfully writhing griffons, many of whom were doubled over clutching massive bruises where my shots had found them.

My relief at NOT being a murderer was short-lived, as my whiplashing emotions left my oblivious butt open to a blindside attack from one of the larger of the dogs, who grabbed me around my arms and chest and proceeded to squeeze my organs to a creamy gravy. With my arms pinned and darkness quickly beginning to narrow my vision, I was left to kick ineffectually at my assailant’s hulking form. Just as I began to fear for the continued integrity of my ribcage, a rainbow blur shot past and struck the behemoth restraining me right between the eyes. Before the dog could shake off the first blow, she was back, this time hovering above my dance partner and me in order to deliver a series of rapid-fire strikes that smashed mercilessly home. With the dog further staggered by what appeared to be a blue furred jackhammer, Dash swooped straight up, before powering down with both hind hooves. This appeared to be the final straw, as the dog seemed to simply collapse as though his limbs turned to jello. Dropping to the ground beside my would-be destroyer, I raised a hand in a weak wave of “thanks” to my rescuer as I gasped for breath. Apparently not satisfied with my recovery speed, Dash swooped down once more to lift me to my feet, before shooting me a cocky smirk and wave of her own as she left seeking more griffons to fly circles around.

Finally catching my breath, I took the chance to scan around the battlefield. In the time it took for me to take out the gun crew and be saved by Dash, the rest of the ponies had seemingly finished what was left of the marauders with the help of a now free squad of muscular ponies who must have been the guards they had been talking about. What griffons or dogs left standing were by now attempting to make their escape, either winging off through the warehouses and alleyways behind us or attempting to slink off into open sewers, or even leaping into the water in an attempt to escape by swimming. Most were quickly subdued and restrained by the guard squad, eager to redeem themselves after being caught unawares earlier.

Gliding down to my position, Twilight came in for a stumbling landing that nearly sent her horn on a collision course with a rather sensitive portion of my person. Recovering her balance just in time, she settled her wings at her sides with a slight blush visible on her furry cheeks. Okay, seriously, how am I able to see her blush through fur?

Clearing her throat with an embarrassed cough, she craned her neck up to address my rather considerable (to her) height. “Ahem. Sorry about that, still having the occasional difficulty with the landing part of this flying business. Well Captain, on behalf of Equestria, I would like to extend my most sincere thanks for your assistance in capturing a dangerous group of criminals and terrorists.” Tossing her head in a frankly adorable attempt to settle her mane around her horn (seriously, why do these little pony critters have to be so goshdarned cute?), she continued in what seemed an oft practiced ‘official’ tone. “As Princess of Friendship, on behalf of the Council of Harmony and the Princesses Celestia and Luna, I would be honored to extend an offer of friendship to you, and I further pledge myself and my friends to ensure that your stay in our universe is a pleasant one, and offer my own considerable abilities as both a mage and scientist in getting you safely home to your own world, wherever it may lie.”

Well, I ask you, how do you respond to something like that? As I stood there at a loss for words, still clutching my shield in one hand, I watched in dismay as the little pony’s carefully composed face and bright smile began to sag, all while descending into what was obviously the early stages of an anxiety attack. Then, rolling warmly through the fishy air of the docks around us, came gentle chuckle. “Lan’ sakes, Twily-girl, ya don’t have tah use fifty words when five will do the job jus’ as well.”

Cantering slowly over to where we were awkwardly standing, the Stetson bedecked pony I remembered being introduced to as Applejack led rest of the small group from where they had been engaged in binding both limbs and wounds, as the case demanded. Tilting her hat back on her head, the orange coated pony cracked one of the friendliest grins I had ever seen on anyone, human or otherwise. “Ah think what Twilight was tryin’ to say, sugercube, is welcome to Equestria, thanks fer the assist with rounding up these no-good varmits, and would ya like to come stay a spell with us while we find yer way back home?”

Stepping close to her group, Twilight favored the cowpony with a grateful smile and gentle nuzzle (hngh!) to her freckled cheek. Turning back to me, she seemed much more relaxed now that she was surrounded by her friends, and managed to give me a much more genuine smile before speaking again. “Applejack is right, as usual. I tend to get caught up in my status as a princess, and I forget that honesty and kindness will often go further than royal procedure and correct protocol. Will you allow us to offer you a place to stay until you can return to your home?” The rest of the ponies were quick to chime in.

“Indeed darling. After your gallant actions on our behalf today, it would be churlish in the extreme not to offer you what comfort and assistance we may be able to provide.”

“I’m with the egghead on this one. You pitched right into those goons, and ya got some pretty sweet moves. You’re a’right, for a weird monkey thing.”

“Um, I agree with the others, too. Not about the fighting, that was scary, oh! but you were very good at it, I didn’t mean to insult you by saying you were scary, even though you kinda were, but, but, oh dear…”

“Yuparooni! We sure showed those meanie-mean-pants a thing or three! Oooh, Oooh, you know what this calls for, right? A party! One to celebrate stopping the bad-guys, one to welcome Roger-Dodger, one to say yay-we-got-the-alicorn-amulet-back, Oooh, there’s an idea, a TRIPPLE-DECKER party with a triple-decker cake to go with it…!”

Pinkie!”

“What? Oh, right, Welcome to Equestria Captain Rodger-Dodger America! I’ll be in touch about your welcome party after you settle in, Pinkie-Promise!”

Looking down at the eager, friendly faces surrounding me, I found myself becoming overcome by the positive emotions each was projecting in their own unique way. Kneeling down so that I wouldn’t tower over them, I managed a smile for each one as I stretched out my hand. “Miss Twilight, all of you, thank you so much for your kind words and offer. I would love to stay with all of you until I can figure out how to get back home.”

At first, Twilight seemed unsure what to do with my hand. Then she smiled and placed her own purple hoof in my proffered grasp, and shook firmly. “Then let’s finish up this mess here quickly, we have much to show you Roger.”

Dash suddenly blinked. “Uh, hey, not to harsh on the lovey-dovey we got going here, but did anypony happen to see where that creepazoid griffon went? Or the amulet doohickey for that matter?”

The group froze. I wracked my brain, trying to remember if I had seen anything resembling any kind of jewelry. As the ponies and I began attempting to compare notes, I realized that I hadn’t seen Colonel Scar-Tissue anywhere around whilst his goon squad was getting pounded into the dirt. Breaking away, I began methodically scanning the area, trying to see if the griffon was still around, simply laying low. It was at that moment that a grinding crash rang out from the deck of the ship. Whipping around, I was just in time to see a large cargo hatch slam completely open, as what looked like an oversized Fourth of July rocket shot from the hold, with the griffon in question strapped to the side in some form of harness. For one, seemingly endless second, our gazes seemed to lock. Then he was gone, riding a column of fire and smoke up and away beyond the horizon. Shuddering, I tried to get the memory of the scarred griffon’s eyes out of my head. They weren’t the eyes of a rational being, but of a rabid monster, simultaneously burning with insanity and chillingly calculating. The disparity was enough to ensure that any sleep I got from then on would feature those eyes in some nightmarish shape or form. Joy.

Down at my waist, I heard a horrified gasp. Turning to look, I saw Twilight staring after the rapidly dissipating smoke trail left by the rocket as though the Devil himself had appeared before her. Kneeling down once more to her eye level, I reached out a comforting hand. “Hey, Twilight, its okay. He got away this time, but he won’t be able to run forever. You’re safe now.”

Wrenching her eyes from the horizon, she looked to me with palpable fear in her wide eyes. “No, none of us are safe. In his talon, I saw it. He has the Alicorn Amulet.”

Author's Note:

And I'm back!:rainbowdetermined2:Did you miss me? Now that I have this one published, I hope to make some real progress on my other works. Fingers Crossed!!!:pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 26 )

ITS ALIVE! ITS ALIVE!!!!

This didn't show up on my updates list, but it did on my feed.

Amazing work, once again.^^

Out of curiosity, since he became his costume, though in an alternate way, will you be including him among the Displaced or keep this story separate?^^ It's good either way. Just curious.

6208374 please dont turn it into a crossover fest with other displaced
on another note, great chapter is good to see you back

6208639 Some people like those. But, it depends on how well they're pulled off. Regardless of the path chosen though, I'm sure he'll write his story well.^_^

6208683 i dont mind one or two but there are some fic that seem to exist only to have one after the other being published

Roger Stevenson.
This name, best name ever!!!

6208711 Yeah. Those type are hard to keep the story straight in. Possible to, yes, but not easy.

About time, hope you don't desapear again :).

Holy shit it updated. :pinkiegasp:

it was a nice chapter too. :twilightsmile:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

6248833 :rainbowhuh: I'm confused. Is this a good 'yaaaa', or a bad 'yaaa'?:derpyderp2:

My good sir, I must ask that you make more chapters as soon as possible.

Happy Writing,
-Bright Light

6445787 I will do my utmost to oblige you:raritywink:. School takes 90% of my time, so be advised I am a slow updater. In the meantime, check out my other stories and let me know what you think:twilightsheepish:

6445863
Good show old bean, I shall leave you to your duties.

Happy Writing,
-Bright Light

Sinking to the ground, the ponies watched as he set his shield to one side, before reaching up and unbuckling his mask, allowing it to join the shield on the cool concrete.

Seriously?! You are giving up your secret identity?! :raritycry:

Marvelous Mare Brigade

Do it. :yay:

6483811 Thanks for the help, I only speak two languages, English and American:derpytongue2:. The German was taken from Google Translate, so some settling very likely occurred.

as to your second comment, let me put it this way. Our protagonist is lost in a strange fantasy land, and is a fairly rational individual (or at least that's how I like to think of myself). Instead of trying to sink himself into the persona of the character he's dressed as, he wants to be as open and honest with his new friends as possible, to avoid alienating the only source of information on this strange new world he has at the moment.

And Marvelous Mare Brigade? I grew up reading collected editions of '60s Marvel Comics, so I wanted to try to transplant some of that language and atmosphere to this fic. They just don't make comics like they used too:fluttershysad:. Also, keep an eye on my other superhero fic, Dark Knights and Mysterious Mares. No spoilers, but that term will play a pivotal role in upcoming chapters:raritywink:

Edit: German fixed, as per your recommendations. Thanks for the editing assistance!

6484895

The German was taken from Google Translate, so some settling very likely occurred.

That's the second time I hear that today! :rainbowlaugh: Maybe I should offer my help with such issues more openly, like in a group.

as to your second comment, let me put it this way. Our protagonist is lost in a strange fantasy land, and is a fairly rational individual (or at least that's how I like to think of myself). Instead of trying to sink himself into the persona of the character he's dressed as, he wants to be as open and honest with his new friends as possible, to avoid alienating the only source of information on this strange new world he has at the moment.

I understand that. It's just that a lot of characters act too rational for my taste, and my taste is quite...theatrical, I believe was the word. I personally prefer if they don't act rational, I know, I wouldn't, if this makes any sense? I probably would insult back, then I get insulted for example, instead of being the mature one and stay calm. Does this mean I have a temper? :rainbowhuh:

And Marvelous Mare Brigade? I grew up reading collected editions of '60s Marvel Comics, so I wanted to try to transplant some of that language and atmosphere to this fic. They just don't make comics like they used too:fluttershysad:. Also, keep an eye on my other superhero fic, Dark Knights and Mysterious Mares. No spoilers, but that term will play a pivotal role in upcoming chapters:raritywink:

Sure. I note it for later read, but I still hope he will bring this term up, because I would really like to see their reaction to it! :twilightsmile:

Edit: German fixed, as per your recommendations. Thanks for the editing assistance!

No problem! Don't hesitate to contact me, if you need any further assistance in translating! :pinkiesmile:

6445863 Hi, Skyace...Here is a Private Message I Just Sent to you Today Regarding Some Other Properties I Want you to Use in 9 Highly Recommended Story Suggestions That I Highly Recommend for you to make...http://www.fimfiction.net/manage_user/messages/9200509
...Nuff Said.

It is a shame this gem will never be finished.

Something reminded me of this story so I went back and had another read, my only regret is Cap never threw his shield.

I find your lack of updates disturbing.

This is a great fanfic. It's a shame it's on hiatus.

Login or register to comment