• Published 22nd Apr 2014
  • 3,939 Views, 134 Comments

Beats of Life - NightsongWrites



When Vinyl Scratch is raped and badly beaten, it's Octavia that comes to her rescue. This a new take of the relationship of the two musical ponies, and how they deal with pain, life, and love.

  • ...
14
 134
 3,939

Chapter 2

Waking up hurt. Octavia groaned faintly as she came to, slipping out of her dreams of sneering stallions and face-kicking. It was night-time, though the sleep completely threw off her internal clock. It’d take days to get back that back in working order. But any grousing the cellist might have done was quickly banished when she looked down at the little white unicorn. Vinyl was holding tightly to one of Octavia’s hooves; her face was peaceful in sleep, but it was easily to see the tear tracks coursing down her slim muzzle. Honestly, Octavia was surprised Vinyl got any sleep at all, considering the wreck she was early. It had taken several minutes of cuddling- and a shot of sedatives- to settle her down at all. It was… nerve-wracking, to say the least.

A soft hum and vibration from her cello case made the cellist start in surprise before hurrying to fumble for it with her free hoof. The little screen at the front stopped her cold. Thirty-eight missed texts, and dozens of calls. What in all of Equestria…

Octavia, where are you? Fleur’s party?- Frederic.
Octy, this is bad- Beauty Brass

We saw the news, are you okay?- Frederic

Oh. Oh dear. Octavia gave a faint sigh as she set the phone aside, reaching back up to wearily rub her eyes. Oh course the news caught wind. Knowing the paparazzi, they probably saw and caught the entire thing on film. In the end, however, that was immaterial, as long as they left Vinyl alone. The poor thing certainly did not need to be hounded by the newsponies after such a trying time.

“O-octavia? Still h-here?”

The cellist chuckled softly at the sleepy voice, smiling at the little mare. Vinyl’s crimson orbs were locked on Octavia, wide with a mix of awe and utter relief.

“Of course I am, Vinyl. You asked for me to stay, so I’ll stay. I believe they’ll let you go home today!”

The DJ, however, did not look exactly… thrilled. Terrified would be a better word for the sight. Her grip on Octavia’s hoof tightened, and she scooted closer.

“The other one’s… s-still out there, t-though,” she whispered faintly, “What if… he knows where I live?”

Octavia blinked slowly, and frowned. That.. is a legitimate concern, actually. Her mind flicked back to her Criminology class. More often than not, criminals tended to disappear after something like this. But rapists could be… different. Crafty. And as a pegasus, he could quite easily spirit Vinyl away if he got his hooves on her again.

“I suppose the solution is quite simple, Miss Scratch,” Octavia replied, smiling soothingly at her, “You will stay with me.”
********************

Since their inception, the Canterlot Symphony had rented out a series of suites in the Maritrot Resort of Upper Quarter Canterlot, in case they needed to stay together for several days during arduous practice sessions. It was also Octavia’s ‘home,’ as it were. Most of her paychecks went into cello adjustments or repairs, and she maintained a sizable savings account with what she did not spend. One day, that would be enough for Octavia’s dream home. For now, however, some of those savings could be spent on her new friend.

The rapists had smashed her saddlebags to bits, which included her beloved headphones and music player. While Octavia could not replace the hundreds of songs the magical machine had saved on it, she could replace the machine and its accessory itself. This had earned her a rather tearful hug in the middle of the marketplace. And, to Vinyl’s relief, she had gotten a new set of glasses and a hoodie to help cover herself.

“One of my great, great, greeeeat ancestors was from Trotsylvania,” she had explained to Octavia, when asked why she wanted to hide her unusual eyes, “I got the eye color from him. Heh, the story actually makes it worse. A buncha ponies always asked if I was a vampire when they saw them so… decided to keep that from happening, I guess.”

At the suites, Octavia was met by her best friends in the ensemble- Frederic and Beauty Brass practically tackled her onto the ground, while Harp just chuckled and waved in relief.

“We were so worried!” Beauty gushed, wiping her violet eyes with a fetlock, “When we saw the news, they were carting that pony off…”

“And the Guard would not answer our questions,” Frederic answered with a little more calm, though his eyes betrayed his frustration, “All they told us was that you were in the hospital, and could not see visitors. We believed you were hurt!”

Octavia quickly picked herself off the ground, chuckling softly and waving them away.

“Easy now, everypony. I’m alright.” She turned towards the doorway, “Vinyl? It’s alright. These are my friends.”

Vinyl’s entrance was slow, her body tensed and ready to bolt at a moment’s notice. Octavia stepped to her side, giving her a gentle nuzzle along her ear.

“I’ve known all of them since I was a teenager,” she explained softly, “They won’t hurt you, I promise. This is Frederic, Beauty Brass, and Harpo.”

“A pleasure.”

“Hi there!”

“Hello, Miss Scratch.”

Vinyl’s throat bobbed from a large gulp before she gave a small smile, waving a hoof, “H-hi!”

Octavia beamed. Progress? At least somewhat. Though Octavia believed that it would be best to keep Frederic and Harpo a safe distance away from the traumatized mare. During their market walk, the poor thing had physically flinched away from any male that remained close to her, and she could see her horn spark several times from defensive magic. She would really need to see about a nullifier ring, and soon. She knew the pain magic caused to Vinyl had to be excruciating. With another gentle nuzzle, she guided Vinyl into the suites, and to her private room.

It… was not exactly modest, to Octavia’s chagrin. It was certainly comfortable, with such a large bed, made of the softest Saddle Arabian fabrics, and sported a large radio set off to one side. The bathroom was one of Octavia’s favorite things; a large shower, a Whirlpool tub…

“Would you like to use the bathroom, Vinyl?” she asked softly, nodding to the opulent, glorious porcelain room.

The cellist was mildly unprepared for the loathing look Vinyl gave herself, or the vigorous nod, and subsequent bullrush into the bathroom, but she could understand it. She was wholly unprepared, however, for Vinyl when she returned, great patches of fur scrubbed clear off, her pink skin bright red in irritation, and tears trailing down her face.
“I-I’m sorry,” she murmured at Octavia’s stunned look, dropping to her stomach and shaking, “I-I could feel t-them and… I-I’m sorry…”
The two slept together in the bed that night, Octavia’s forelegs wrapped tightly around her friend, her own tears mingling with those of her friend till Vinyl thankfully passed out. She sniffled, her muzzle gently nuzzling into her mane. Professional help might be best… though she would definitely need to speak with Vinyl first. ...and her ensemble.
The cellist winced as upcoming dates and parties rose up in her mind. Leaving Vinyl alone would… not end very well, she was sure of that. The poor thing did not have her music, a home of her own that was safe, or other friends. At least not in… this town… A slow smile spread across Octavia’s muzzle as a new idea sprang up, focusing in on two upcoming performances. One in the hamlet of Ponyville, and the other in the great metropolis of Manehatten. Getting Vinyl away from Canterlot may just be the best… possible… thing. And with a plan of action in mind, Octavia snuggled her charge close, and drifted off to the smell of Vinyl and cotton.