• Published 1st Apr 2012
  • 1,372 Views, 16 Comments

Mystery Mash Up - W1kk3d_Mango



Doctor Whooves, Derpy, Daring Do, in a Sherlock Holmes style mystery!

  • ...
2
 16
 1,372

Chapter 4

The door to the dinning carriage slid open and the two ponies that had been in the back of the train walked in with the Doctor. All three were laughing hysterically. The server had just walked away with her and Derpy's order. The doctor bowed to the couple and turned to the table which Daring and Derpy sat at. "Mind if I join you?!"

"Not at all!" Derpy spoke up eagerly, "I was telling Daring all about the TARDY!" She smiled at the Doctor.

"TARDIS dear," he said quickly, then lowered his voice slightly, "but I thought that we discussed telling just whomever asks about it. This is still a bit strange for me, and I don't wish to inform all ears that I have a time machine."

Daring's ears perked up, did the Doctor really just say what he thought he said? "umm... a what?" Daring sputtered out.

The Doctor then looked back and fourth between Daring and Derpy, "oh," he said, "oh you didn’t... Well I walked into that one. Daring, dear, do, Ms. I would really like to tell you something secret." He sat down and began to explain the TARDIS knowing it would be a borderline futile effort.

After a few moments of trying to explain alternate dimension, the group was happy to to have their drinks arrive. The server looked at the new arrival to the table and again produced her note pad to write down a drink order. "So what would you like?" she said, sounding annoyed.

"Just a water for me, thanks." The Doctor replied happily. "And would you happen to have another menu?" The server's horn lit up producing a small spark in front of it. The spark grew producing a small bubble, the bubble contorted and formed a rectangular sheet of paper. The paper settled gently in front of the doctor. "Thanks very much Ms." The server gave a weak smile, then walked off towards the couple which now sat in the middle of the carriage.

"So Ms. Do," The Doctor started. He had turned his attention to Daring without the slightest glance at the menu. "what is your big adventure? Given what you said in the engine and the way you're dressed, i'd figure you're an adventurer. What is your latest quest?"

Daring looked at him with a straight face, perhaps to strong of one. "I am just visiting the mountains here." She replied, "Nothing too special, i like to stumble upon adventures rather than have them chartered to me."

The Doctor smiled, "Well I don't doubt that. I too love finding adventures, and it seems like there could be something of one coming up. I'm not superstitious but i think that what happened earlier was a bad omen." Daring chuckled a bit at the phrase.

The doctor then produced a small mechanical device. Something Daring had never seen before. He flicked it on and it lit up, producing a small high pitch, contorted sound, something that daring was sure she had never HEARD before. It stopped and the Doctor stared into it. Turning towards Derpy he said, "See, I told you magic leaves a temporal disturbance. A bit large for just popping up a menu. Maybe some chef here recently used a rather big spell to whip up our lunch."

"But doctor," Derpy said, "If the train is moving, shouldn't the temple rift be back a ways?" The doctor's eyes widened. Staring into nothing he started thinking.

"Why..." He thought for a moment more, "Mighty fine catch there Derpy!" He smiled and patted the small mare on the head. "Well then, what could have caused such a large anomaly?" He turned his attention to Daring, "any ideas?"

Daring looked at him, a small wave of horror crept up in her chest. "No." She said sternly.

"Not even a small one?" The Doctor pushed.

Daring stood up "I don't know." She said through clenched teeth. Now she was in hot water, thinking to herself. She had to find a way out, "And I have been on this train for too long." She shouldered her saddle bag, tightened the strap closely to her body, and turned to leave the carriage. Walking down the isles and proceeding to the middle and rear box cars she found her way to the end. Spreading her wings wide open she kicked off of the train.

Her momentum carried her along with the train for a moment. Just as it seemed to be pulling away from her she began to flap her wings faster and sped past the windows of the train. It felt amazing to fly again, and her moment of anger and fear had given her more than enough energy to speed past the train with little effort. She didn't even glance into the dinning carriage as she flew past. If the train was a few hours a way, she could make it in a coupe less. She had two bottles of emergency water, and a couple packages of food incase she got tired. But she wasn't going to to stay on the train any longer.

After gaining a good lead on the train and after feeling her adrenalin rush begin to wear off she gradually slowed down. She was strong, and her wings were powerful. She could still speed past most pegasi with barely any effort. She was well above the tree line towards the base of the mountain next to her, so she decided to take a look at the scroll as she flew on. Bringing out the scroll she carefully unrolled it. Daring didn’t want to stop and loose time,


Her eyes followed the original writing, then the second part that had appeared, and below that, as she had expected, a new message. “What the hell is that Doctor trying to do to me?” She asked herself. The new part wasn’t as short, but Daring didn’t like the new commanding tone.


Get off of the train. We have reason to believe somepony may derail our progress. You are 2 ½ hours flight from the town. Do not stay at the town long, camp on the outskirts, and only stay to ask for information.

“Alright, so it’s not the Doctor,” she thought to herself, “Or he is just really, really, confuse.” The last part she could believe. But she based her conclusions on evidence and right now all she had was guesses. She shook her head slightly, she had been on the train a while, and although the gem was important she had been trapped on the train for quite some time. She tucked the scroll in her saddle bag, making sure it was secure and wouldn’t fall out. She removed her hat and place it over the scroll for extra protection.


It also allowed the wind to shoot through her mane. Daring was thrilled to be flying again! A smile spread across her face. She angled herself upward soaring higher into the air, then dove back down towards the trees and tundra below. It was definitely a change from her recent luxury, but she would choose the flying any day!

She loved every minute of the scenery, the speed and the wind, but after a couple hours of flying she could see a large hole in the tree line, she looked around below her and caught site of the tracks. She was nearly there. She barely felt tired at all, so she happily sped up as though seeing the finish line to a race. Shooting across the sky she came up to a clearing. Looking down into, all the buildings seemed unadorned and made of wood. She saw a large blue box behind one of the buildings. “Stands out a bit,” She thought.

She glided down and landed in the middle of the road. Taking a moment she looked around and saw a few ponies in one of the larger buildings. Her stomach gurgled, reminding her it’d been about 14 hours sense she last ate. “I guess I’d better grab something.” Daring said to herself, and with that began walking towards the building. As she approached it she looked through one of the windows. She stopped dead in her tracks looking directly at the purple mare waving furiously at her, and the brown coated stallion pushing a chair out next to him, beckoning her to join them.