• Published 22nd Apr 2014
  • 1,222 Views, 37 Comments

Daring Do's Vacation - Smaug the Golden



Daring Do and her annoying subconscious go on a vacation doomed for disaster.

  • ...
1
 37
 1,222

I need a vacation.

“I need a vacation,” Daring Do said to herself as she stared around her house. “Some place nice, with no creepy fan girls, no Ahuizotl, no temples, and certainly no treasure.”

You really don’t need that, a small voice said in her head. Besides, where would you go for vacation?

“I don’t know. Anywhere but here. I hear that Cloudsdale is nice this time of year.”

But that’s where that creepy fan girl lives.

“You do have a point my subconscious. You are my subconscious, aren’t you?”

How would I know? I’m just a little voice in your head. I don’t possess enough intellect to determine if I am your subconscious. Besides, if I were your subconscious, I wouldn’t be telling you if I were, would I? Isn’t the subconscious’s job to prevent people from doing something, and make them think it’s just the smarter part of their brain?

“Hm. I really can’t answer that, as I’m not a philosopher.” Daring Do walked over to a cabinet, and pulled out a map. “So, little voice in my head, where should we go?”

You aren’t seriously going through with this? I thought I made myself clear that we shouldn’t go on vacation. I told you, no vacation.

“True, but considering the fact that you confirmed the fact that you’re just a little voice in my head, I have no reason to believe you are out for my best interest. Now, to choose a destination.” Daring Do leaned in close to examine the map. “Fillydelphia? Nah, too cold. Manehattan?”

I thought you wanted to keep your identity a secret. If you go to Manehattan, everyone will realize that A. K. Yearling and Daring Do are one and the same. Besides, I though you like to stay out of the limelight.

“Hm. I suppose you’re right. What about the Crystal Empire?” Daring scratched her head with her hoof, but then shook her head. “Definitely not. Little voice, how about Appleloosa?”

Ug, no. Too hot. You always prefer the jungle. Pick somewhere with a forest nearby.

“You’re right. Oh, I know. This place looks nice. How about Ponyville?”

But that’s where-

“Hush. I’m not listening to you. I am taking a vacation in Ponyville, and you are not going to stop me. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?”

Famous last words.

“Be quiet. Now, what do we pack?” However, the voice kept silent, and Daring Do nodded to herself with satisfaction. “Good. No annoying voice, no creepy fan girls, and certainly no Ahuizotl. This will be a wonderful vacation.”

Daring Do smiled. This was the way to travel, no vines, not running from homicidal cats, and no treasure to worry about. Yes, a train was the way to travel. I’m telling you, this is a bad idea. You are going to stay in a town in the middle of nowhere, with a forest that is full of who knows what, and tons of ponies. Anything could happen.

“Or, nothing could happen, and I could spend the week relaxing in the shade or sun, reading a good book. Now, be quiet.”

But there’s Timberwolves there.

“I said be quiet!” The pony next to her a strange look and moved to a different seat.

Hm, I wonder if I could get you to yell at me so much that they throw us off the train. That might get us away from this doomed vacation spot.

“First of all,” Daring said in a whisper, “it is not doomed. Second, I will not yell at you.”

What have you been doing for the last ten minutes then?

Daring thought about the point, and then conceded the fact. “Fine. You’ve got me there. However, I will not submit. If necessary, I will go to a physiologist to get rid of you. I bet they’d have a way to rid someone of annoying voices.”

You wouldn’t dare.

“Um, hello? It’s in my name. Daring Do? I would dare.”

I though your mother named you Daring for your sense of adventure.

“She did, but the name has more than one meaning. It also means that I would dare to do anything to achieve my ends.”

Humph. You’re no fun when it comes to listening to little voices in your head.

“Who is?”

That weird pink pony we met once, probably. Maybe that creepy fan girl. Possibly that nerdy librarian alicorn.

“For how long have you been spying on my personal adventures?”

I have no idea.

“How can you not know? Actually, don’t answer that.” Daring reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a book. “Little voice, from now on, I am not listening to you.” She proceeded to read the book in an attempt to block out the voice.

“Next stop, Ponyville!” The conductor's shout was loud and long.

Daring put her book back into her bag. “Well, my vacation spot is coming up fast. Guess I might as well get ready.”

You know, you really are going to regret taking this vacation.

“What makes you say that? Oh… I just spoke to you, didn’t I?”

Yes you did. Besides, if you had listened to me, you would have heard that that creepy fan girl…

“What about that creepy fan girl?”

I thought you weren’t listening to me?

“I’m not, but I’d like to hear what you have to say this one time.”

No. Not telling you until you apologize.

“Fine, be that way. See if I care.”

Good.

Daring considered pondering the voice’s annoyance. What had it been trying to tell her? She discarded the question, and proceeded to collect her baggage. When she had gotten off the train, she ran into a nasty surprise.

A pink pony was standing at the station. One surprisingly familiar. The pink pony let out a gasp when she saw Daring, well, A. K. Yearling, as she was in disguise, and ran off down the road at speeds faster than was normally possible.

Well, too late now. I tried to warn you, but you wouldn’t listen. It’s really nopony’s fault but your own.

Daring Do grumbled at the little voice. “You could have told me. You ruined my vacation by not telling me. Now I need to get back on the train…”

Um, pony who I’m supposed to help, the train already left. That train can break the space-time continuum to stay on time. You might as well stay here for the time being.

“And stay in the same town as that crazy pink pony, one of the ones who annoyed me on my last adventure? No way. I think I might as well stay with the creepy fan girl.”

Good for you. Because all six of them live in this town. The rainbow one might live in Cloudsdale, but she’s a frequent visitor to this town. While we’re stuck here, you might want to find someplace to stay.

“What? I thought that we had a place to stay?”

We did, but someone else booked the place.

“How on earth can you know that before I do?”

I don’t know. Figure out who writes this ridiculous story, and maybe we can figure it out.

“What on earth do you mean by that statement?”

I don’t know. Apparently you had some fleeting image or thought of it, weren’t able to process it fully, and it got filed into the part of the brain I control.

“Um, okay. Let’s just find a place to stay while we’re stuck in this town, and then we can get out of here when we have a way out."

Seems like a plan to me. But then again, as I said before, I don’t have enough intellect for something’s, and one of them is processing plans. Doesn’t matter. Lead on, miss Daring Do.