• Published 22nd Apr 2014
  • 2,806 Views, 112 Comments

A Dream of Pride and Envy - Tundara



The hidden history of the events leading up to the Long Winter is uncovered. A Myths and Birthrights story.

  • ...
7
 112
 2,806

Epilogue

A Dream of Pride and Envy
By Tundara


Daring’s entire coat prickled. Her ears folded back, and her muzzle was set into a fearsome snarl. Before her stood a foe more fearsome and dastardly than any she’d encountered during her many adventures. An enemy that she couldn’t conquer with a swift right jab or a blast of searing fiery wind from her wings—side effect number five of her shawl—but had to combat with honeyed words and a fake smile.

A garden party.

Though calling it a garden party wasn’t doing the gathering justice. It could only be called a garden party in the same way that a Manticore could be referred to as a kitty-cat.

The Galla of the Stars was so much more than just a garden party—even though it was being held in Canterlot Castle’s expansive gardens. Daring was certain the guest list had to be in the hundreds, perhaps even thousands. There were nobles, members of Equestria’s gentry, wealthy commoners without any titles, and dignitaries from nations across the breadth of the disc. Some she’d not visited since her second voyage to the wild southern continent with it’s lush jungles, jagged mountains, and high plateaus.

She noticed at least three zebras, a pair of tapirs, several griffons, and a minotaur with a trained monkey hanging from his horns among the crowd. The minotaur seemed a little familiar, and when the monkey screeched at her, drawing a finger along its throat, Daring decided to slip off towards the h’orderves.

“Come on, love, it’s just a party,” Yearling chided, wing extending across Daring’s withers.

Snorting, Daring checked for the twelfth time the location of the nearest exits.

“We’ve both been to enough parties to know better than that.” Daring did try to settle, but the prickling sensation wouldn’t let her. “What about—”

Yearling placed a feathertip to Daring’s lip. “If there is going to be some calamity, it won’t be involving us.” Taking a pair of champagne glasses from a passing waiter, Yearling gave a toothy smile. “Relax, have fun, and try not to ruin the new Goddess’ evening.”

Making a face, Daring took the glass. “You just said—”

“I know what I said,” Yearling leaned over to give Daring a peck on the cheek. “I also know you. So please, no hooffights, shoot-outs, or setting the palace on fire. For me?”

“When you ask that nicely, how can I say no?”

Giggling like a schoolfilly, Daring went to reciprocate the kiss, only to stop as a shadow loomed over the pair. Her lips close enough to brush Yearlings coat, she turned towards the intruder upon their private moment, face warm beneath her coat. An acidic comment died half formed on her tongue. Iridia stood beside her, inspecting the platters of cheeses with intense curiosity.

“It’s always amazed me how a good cheese can diffuse even the worst situation,” Iridia commented as she selected a hearty blue cheese covered in a white sauce Daring couldn’t identify. Taking a bite, Iridia turned to gaze over the crowd to the far side of the gardens where Twilight Sparkle stood with the Elements of Harmony greeting the various dignitaries.

“Your Majesty…” Yearling began to bow, but stopped as Iridia shifted to look at the pair. “Your Divine Majesty?” Yearling tried again, this time receiving a sharp frown.

The frown was banished by a laugh, Iridia scrunching her face up in a smile that made her eyes twinkle.

“So,” Iridia said, “Daring Do and Yearling. I’ve been looking forward to meeting you again.”

“I don’t think we’ve met before,” Daring frowned, Yearling mirroring her thoughts. “We’d remember.”

Iridia’s smile took on a wolfish tint. “Would you? What if I used a memory spell upon you?” Another laugh, this one accompanied by a toss of her mane. “What I meant, however, is in this life. We’ve met, oh, I can’t count how many times now. You two turn up like bad bits. I believe that is how the saying goes.”

Iridia tapped her chin while Daring and Yearling just stared at her as if she were mad. From what they’d read and discovered over the years after receiving Clover’s final journal, it wasn’t outside the realm of possibility.

“I see you still wear Tempered’s robes, and even turned it into a shawl. I think she would have liked that.”

Lifting a hoof to the golden cloth wrapped around her neck and ears, warmth seeping from the threads, Daring said. “It was you!”

“That sent you your shawl? Yes.” Iridia waved an absent hoof, focusing on her daughter and not the ponies beside her. A break appeared in the dignitaries. Iridia took a few steps forward, and then retreated. She grabbed another cracker with cheese, nibbling on the edge and watched as her moment was lost, a pair of zebras trotting up to Twilight.

Daring frowned, looking between the queen and princess. A frown that only deepened as Iridia asked, “So, how have you been keeping?”

“Oh, well enough. Writing, adventuring, and wondering what the hay you mean by ‘in this life’ nonsense.” Yearling waved an airy hoof, only for her words to take on a sharp bite.

“Huh?” Iridia wrenched herself away from staring across the garden. “Nothing. I was just being silly. I…”

Iridia sighed and shook her head. Daring couldn’t believe her eyes and ears.

This was the terrible queen that had threatened all of ponykind? This was the pony that had unleashed the Windigos and brought about the Long Winter? Daring had fought many villains over the years, from power mad business ponies, to demon worshipping cults. She’d never encountered a great evil from history and been disappointed by the depths of their depravity.

It was comforting that she could still have new experiences even in her old age.

“Just go to her, already,” Daring gave Iridia a shove.

“But, what if…” Iridia began to protest, wings flapping to halt her movement.

Rolling her eyes, Daring gave Iridia another shove, while Yearling said, “She’s your daughter. Go to her, already.”

“I… Thank you.” Iridia turned, and before Daring could react, wrapped her wings around the couple. It lasted only for a moment before Iridia released them, Yearling’s eyes wide while Daring’s heart beat faster, her shawl so warm it almost burned. “You two always find each other.” Iridia grinned. “No matter the age or the hardships, you find each other.”

“I don’t—”

“Soulmates. You’re talking about soulmates? You think we’re…” Yearling pointed to Daring then herself, an incredulous chuckle making her eyes crinkle.

“Soulmates have never been proven,” Daring pouted, crossing her hooves.

Iridia laughed, shaking her head, and started toward Twilight as the zebras made their parting bows

Comments ( 40 )

Epilogue. Huh. I guess I didn't expect this to end so soon! I was actually sort of anticipating a couple chapters on the Long Winter, or such. Still, it was a fascinating glimpse into Myths universe past. :)

4497047

I was tempted, I really was, to include the Long Winter, Exodus, and the founding of Equestria. But, that would be a really long and far more complex story and didn't really fit. Dreams was always meant to encompass only a small sliver of the story. :twilightsmile:

4496733
It's just really weird that it seems like some character is immortal and then they're not. In my mind at least immortal == !mortal and it seems like there's a lot of traipsing around the boundary and then "immortals" dying and it's all kind of hard on the head.

Then there's that bit with Namyra at the end of part three. It's not clear whether what Sombra said (“She’ll be fine,” Sombra shouted back, his own heart racing as thick bands of magical fire engulfed the carefully inscribed runestones. “So long as we begin the Sunset Ritual before her divinity is fully asserted.”) was meant to deceive or somewhat literal. Is she really dead and would that distinction have made any difference? It's just kind of confusing what defines immortality and what keeps any alicorn from doing to another what Celestia did to Tyr in the other story, etc, etc.

Always interesting to see pony satan eating hor deourves, nothing says "kill everyone" quite like a bit of sharp cheese and crackers!

4497183
Ah! That's easy. Immortal =/= indestructible. Think 'Highlander' if you've seen it. Being 'Immortal' does not mean you cannot die... just that you won't die from age. In theory, you could live forever, but if you lose your head, well... Even in Greek mythology, the gods 'could' be killed.

That said, by 'Myths' lore, mortal souls are permanent and get recycled over the course of time while no one seems to be certain about alicorn souls as they haven't made a habit of dying particularly often.

As to Sombra, well he said what he said and I won't be putting words in his mouth.

4497201

If your going to be evil, you don't have to be a savage about it. A nicely tailored suit, a refined sense of wines and cheeses, and some skill with the fiddle all go a long way to putting you above the average Big Evil. After-all, any brute can smash a town or lay waste to an underground city, but it takes a dapper touch for those really sinister Devil's Bargains. :duck: :trollestia:

4497183

4497360

What Honey Mead said in regards to the Immortal/Mortal situation.

As for Sombra. He was lying. He had no idea what the results would be in regards to Namyra living or dying, all he cared about was getting the crystal. As for Namyra, she isn't dead, even after her shade was destroyed. She lingered in the six remaining crystals, Luna, and the valley itself.

Sadly, about twenty minutes after posting the Epilogue I had an idea pop into my head that would have been great for the Epilogue. I'm presently writing away so the 'Complete' tag might be a bit pre-mature on one hand. Ah, well... At least I'm not doing (another) re-write for a story. :twilightblush:

Dang, that shawl is one powerful artifact. And it's funny how much of a change those few years brought, they've gone from two alicorn deities to five in Equestria and counting (six if you count the one with Trixie).

Daring and Yearling as a serial reincarnated adventuring duo? Awesome.

That was a great bit of 'verse backstory, thanks for posting this story.

4497360
4497609
Really not much of a point, but I'll just say that my opinion is generally contradictory in that regard. This whole permanent souls is confusing, kinda makes the argument about not bringing back dead ponies seem broken somehow. Not to mention, if anyone knews why wouldnt just prevent any new ponies from being born. I mean what's the point?

Glad to hear that Namyra isn't dead dead, looking forward to more details on her if that ever happens.

4499520
Reincarnation is nothing revolutionary. The other aspects, such as Soulmates, are extensions and expansions of that concept. Not sure what else to say to make it more palatable for you, sorry.

4499520

There is a difference in being born into a new life and being resurrected. One is the natural continuation of the cycle of mortality. After death, souls spend time in Elysium (where they are rewarded for having a good and/or pious life) or Tartarus (where they are damned and tormented for being no-good bad ponies) before travelling back to the mortal realms via the Summerlands/Font (Name dependant on who you ask). They then start a new life, and though they do not carry forward the memories of their previous incarnations, they aren't so blank slates either, their previous choices and actions having karmic effects.

The other is a perverse abomination meant to cheat or break the cycle. The Archons (the keepers of Elysium) and Hades tend to frown on such actions as a rule.

Even then, Ioka hasn't ever had a strong Necromancy culture. It's always been looked on negatively, and after Discord (which takes place long after this story, admittedly) the runes necessary for such spells were purposefully lost. Other worlds would have stronger or more practitioners of the necromantic arts, but such worlds would invariably draw Hades gaze, and Iokans didn't even know his name before he arrived in 1563 Equestrian Reckoning. The most they were aware of was that there was a Lord of Tartarus.

Sorry, getting a bit off track and lecture-y. :twilightblush:

Finally got around to reading this. Totally worth it. One, because this was an excellent story and I enjoyed it. Two, because OM NOM NOM Worldbuilding and sweet, delicious backstory. Oh, how I love backstory and worldbuilding. And you, Tundara, are a master at it. This is going in my Library of Super-Special Books (current name. Working on something catchier).

-C.Storm

fascinating, lovely and tragic story.

utterly amazing story and it gives us that little bit more into the world that is ioka

Soooo... is there another reason for the soulmate/reincarnation comment on Yearling and Daring? Something leading to other side stories? Any info on who they were in the past?(my favourite theory is that they were once Valla/Stars--depends on whether they are included in the reincarnation cycle) or will there be no comment on this?

Also, are reincarnated souls restricted to one race? So will a pony always be a pony(maybe even a unicorn etc always a unicorn) or is it just as possible that they will be reborn as a halla, minotaur, donkey.... etc...

4506630
I can answer most of this.
Soulmates have been/will be brought up in a later chapter of Myths, specifically in reference to Iridia's past lovers. (Hint: he is in the story).
Tundara has not shared any thoughts on there past lives with me, so I'm going to go ahead and say that it simply isn't something he put any thought toward. It's just a nice touch for us hopeless romantics. :twilightsmile:
Reincarnation (save alicorns) are not restricted by race. A mortal soul is a mortal soul. Valla might be a special case, since they aren't exactly mortal... but that's something for Tundara to weigh in on if he so chooses.

Honey Mead - Chief Editor

4509023
4506630

The Valla are more akin to the spirits than mortals. They do not take part in the cycle and inhabit a grey area between the mortal and immortals. Their are a lot of different spirits in the stories. Kitsune, Ifrit, Hemmravn, are all spirits.

Daring and Yearling being soul-mates was a spur of the moment idea that ties in with Iridia being very old. As Honey Mead said, it has come up in the original version of Myths and will be retained in the new draft.

4509023
4509077
Well no problem with this just being a little service for the hopeless:raritywink:

Guess if it already had been mentioned in Myths that's something I've forgotten about -- when I started reading I really powered through .... probably about two thirds of the old chapters, maybe more

As well as Iridia's lover... unless... nononono:facehoof:... So he already made an appearance?

Anyway, thanks for answering:twilightsmile:

I agree with C. Storm...OMM NON NON! Yay world building!!!:yay: Keep up the great stories you've started, love them all!

I don't know why I hadn't read this until now.

Halfways in this story, my mind was like "It's nice that we get to know more about Namyra 1.0", but then, other part of my mind was "But then she dies!". The first part of my mind once again talked "well, maybe it's not during this story, I don't really know the timeline..."

This is at least the second story that makes Sombra a half dragon. It's also part of my headcanon.

4702518

One is Pegasopolis, the other I didn't settle on a name. :twilightblush: Pegasopolis is dragged west across the ocean and, eventually, takes the name of Cloudsdale. The other city is lost, as Luna was shown. :fluttershysad:

4509077 - The Valla, as ex-stars, are something of a cadre of bodyguard I gather? Obviously they served Luna back when she had dominion over them. I expect that relationship got strained after the events around Nymera and probably completely broken after Nightmare Moon.

Now that Twilight is the custodian of the stars, will the Valla be making an appearance soon? I'd of expected them to pop up sooner, possibly for her ascension.

4769669

A new Valla appearing is a possibility. :twilightsmile:

4769875 - Not just the Firestar right? I expect she'd make an appearance at some point, at least once Twilight ends up heading towards the Gryphons. I figured there'd be others wandering about somewhere. They aren't really mortal as was said.

Then of course there's the one bound to the sword...

5215108

I didn't spend enough time on his motivations on betraying Celestia and the others. Really, I could have done with another chapter that built up towards towards the battle and betrayal.

5215215
Perhaps you could... but murdering a filly (some 200 years old she may be xD) is still as low as you can go. Especially when said murder happens because of greed. It's pretty obvious that he's that "Power over anything" kind of character.

Still, his betrayal felt real enough, and it could kinda be seen coming from the second he initially started talking about his sword.

As for the epilogue... I dunno what to think about it, really. The cloth/shawl gave Daring the ability to create heated wings? And I assume that means scalding hot, or worse? Certainly quite interesting to know that it has that much power. Also... Daring and Yearling. Met each other in several lives... Could they perhaps be the Halla that were helping Celestia when she was wounded? o_O Tempered = Daring, perhaps? And Yearling = that other one.

5224051

Daring and Yearling aren't actually in the past portions. Or their previous incarnations, at least. Mostly as it doesn't really fit. Also, it allows me to use them later, if I ever do write what happened during the Long Winter. Probably wont since I'm attempting to clear things off my plate so I can focus on the main story.

They were involved in the fall of Marelantis, however, and seeing Iridia and Faust to safety. They've turned up a few times over the thousands of years since then, not always playing central roles in Iridia or Faust's lives, but still recognised.

5224270
Interesting... Though, I gotta admit that I really like Iridia's comment about how they "always seem to find each other." Makes for a good story about love conquering all. Even death :twilightsmile:

5224350

I've thought a couple of times about doing a Dante's Inferno type story with Daring and Yearling. It wont come to anything, mind you.

Love conquering all is something that I would like to touch on. Only trouble is that Love seems to get her flank kicked in fights. She loses to her mom, then she's captured, drugged, and left in a pit of magic draining crystals while her fiancé is seduced by a shape-shifting love-eating bug. Even in Myths she's not really done much note-worthy. XD Poor Cadence. :(

5224687
The question is, then, is it only love? Or is it emotions in general? If it is emotions, and she has free reign over them, she can be quite terrifying. The tiniest bit of doubt could be made into a gnawing paranoia and fear.

If it is only love, then... Well. Love is more powerful for those who believe they only have a finite amount of time? Let it bloom and shine before it withers away. Mortal Love has proven itself powerful enough to defeat something akin to a god (Chrysalis). So I'd say that, if weaponized, Love can be powerful... Only Cadence is a bit of a whimp xD

5224698

There are reasons why she's continually out-matched. I'm touching on them a little in what I am presently writing in Parts 10 and 11 of Velvet's side-story. At least Cadence got to be a bit different and not damsel-in-distressed in the recent one-shot side story. :3

5417502

That is correct. :twilightsmile:

7319034

Nope! You don't need any knowledge of MnB.

Finally checking all these side stories off the list. Bit a shame about Pansy, though. I know she was introduced to show how badly Luna had ****ed up, but part of me still hopes she managed to snag her Prince. ...even if he lost that title once his city-state got blown the **** up. :facehoof:

One sleep cycle later, I have a question: Is the city that fell and froze over the start of the Crystal Empire? (Specifically, where it will be once the place thaws out?)

7649468

No, it is a Lost City.

The Crystal City on Ioka isn't like the Crystal Empire of the show. It has very little crystal in it's construction beyond the original wing of Cadence's palace. I have a brief description for one of the nation's oldest towns, taken from a side story that was never, and probably never will be, finished. Naturally, it is unedited and I present it more as a curiosity.

A typical cold summer wind whistled through the streets of Halifax. Situated on the north-easternmost edge of the territory held by the Crystal City, the city was fairly typical as far as port towns went. The shore-line was a combination of docks, warehouses, chandleries, with more than a few taverns speckled throughout. As such, the port stank of a mixture of tar, lead paints, fish, and stale booze.

The town proper sat on a flat piece of land under the gaze of a thousand year old citadel. In it’s early days the citadel had been the first bastion against the surviving Diamond Dogs that had plagued the area. During Princess Cadence's campaigns to pacify the region, the citadel had been one of many she’d had built to secure the burgeoning Crystal City. It'd not taken long to uncover that the long bay over which the citadel stood made for an excellent port.

The main terminus for the principality’s foreign trade, Halifax was a decent sized town of between forty-five and fifty thousand souls. The governor's house was new and lavish, as was the clock tower and in general the town had an energetic quality to it belied by the gloomy skies and its age. Likewise, the homes were tall, brownstone affairs built in a style that married traditional crystal pony architecture with those brought by more recent immigrants from the northern Hackney isles fleeing the wars and frequent persecution.

A sense of stability filtered down from the citadel and the Crystal Fleet. Two dozen warships sat warped along the Navy wharf, while the remainder of the fleet patrolled the waters surrounding the principality, or plied the trades to and from the Old Queendoms.

Alright, I got about a quarter into chapter 2. The story hook in the description was about how unicorns dream once a year and it still hasn't been friggen mentioned in story.

You paint a vivid and detailed picture with your prose, but what you're painting isn't what I came to see! It's too dull for me to continue. I'm still gonna give Velvet's story and myths & birthrights a try, but I'm a little bit more skeptical now.

I have a suspicion that the idea of soul mates will become rather important later on in the main series. My Chekhov's Gun sense is tingling.

I'm not sure a Gore tag is at all fitting for this story.
By strictest definition there is gore in the story, but it's not Gore. The genre of Gore is more about body horror than it is depictions of brutality here and there.

7808093

I'm actually rather terrible for leaving guns laying around on the coffee tables of characters. Guns that are promptly forgotten. :facehoof:

7808096

I recall having some concern about the inclusion of the 'gore' tag at the time this story was published. In the end I erred on the side of caution, and have done so since. :twilightblush:

8146892

There was a time where Sombra's turn was far more supported. I had a partial chapter written where he was directing the sacking of a town and encountered a group of Valla lead by Wynn, and the Moirai spoke with him at length. The intention was to show that he was very brutal already, had a fixation and worship of Celestia, even as he coveted her, both physically and her power. Seeing her fall shattered much of his beliefs and faith in Celestia the pony, and that he deserved and required the power of a god. Especially one who was nothing more than a frivolous filly.

It got cut for a host of reasons, but the main one I remember now was a matter of length and investment of time and energy. It is a heel-turn if you know nothing about Sombra from the show. However, that is one of the advantages of fan-fiction, you can rely on your readers have some understanding of the various characters involved.

Ultimately, Pride and Envy doesn't really reach its potential because it is just too short and rushed. It was meant to be just a fun little exploration of some of the history and back-story, and I didn't want to commit too much time to it. Not when I also had Velvet's side story going at the time as well, plus the main story, and the little vignettes that crop up and now are in the anthology.

Login or register to comment