• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 13,922 Views, 358 Comments

Never The Final Word (Vol. 1) - horizon



An open anthology of brief continuations of other authors' stories.

  • ...
11
 358
 13,922

PreviousChapters Next
GhostOfHeraclitus' "Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen" (Bad Horse's "The Gathering")

Author's Note:

**Now with a reading by Illya Leonov!**

[Drama] [Slice of Life]

This chapter is written by GhostOfHeraclitus. It is a continuation of Bad Horse's The Gathering (1172 words, [Drama] [Slice of Life]).

THE GATHERING SPOILERS: While dealing with paperwork, Princess Celestia receives a mental summons from her alicorn kin: cosmic beings who encourage her to abandon Equestria and join them to dance among the stars. She refuses and returns to her work, but not before asking Dotted Line for a hug.

It was later.

It was, of course, always later, except at those times when it was before.

Night fell — well, no, one of her ponies might think of it like that — night was arranged, expertly at that, and she sat regarding the stars with a sullen intensity. She wasn't looking at them. She didn't need to. She knew where each of them was. Saw the neutrinos flux and flutter across the skein of space. She saw the thin tracery of the odd gamma ray, burning in colors ponies entirely failed to have words for. You can never get away from the stars, not really, but still she had been here, on this damp, dense rock for long enough that she thought of herself as being — defiantly — indoors as she gave the twinkling bastards her full and undivided attention.

Hydrogen.

It was all just hydrogen. And it wasn't even hydrogen doing particularly interesting things. It wasn't dense and inexplicably metallic or cold and passing through things you could swear were solid, it was just... piling up. Untidily. Eventually it caught on fire — of sorts — and then it just sat there, drifting across the main sequence lazily, until it exploded. Or just went out. Or tore open a hole in reality, as if that was any way to behave. She had seen it all before. Multiple star systems, dancing one around another, doomed waltzes between embraced Roche's worlds, and lethal tangos with black holes. She had leaped and swooped in the blinding glow of accretion discs and listened to the faint song of quasars.

Mostly they hissed.

Or buzzed.

Or sort of ... wailed.

Dull.

But here, now... here there were a few more things to work with. Mostly just four, really.

CHON.

Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. She's seen them all, of course — had her coat made soot-black by the carbon winds of a dying red giant. Watched nitrogen being born in starhearts, traced the slow drift of clouds of oxygen spilling from the innards of torn-apart nebulae. But here ... here they danced to entirely new tunes, and in their ceaseless combining and recombining they made such things as ponies, and meadows, symphonies and love stories, paperwork, and hugs.

She liked hugs best of all.

She remembered Twilight talking about astrophysics as if she was there, dancing through the star-winds herself, and remembered marveling at a mind made of the leavings of glutton-stars containing, somehow, the stars themselves and the gulfs between, and — at the same time! — also tea and cookies and laughter and every frivolity under the Sun.

She regarded the stars again and snorted.

Second raters.

She leaned back, in the comfortable gloom, and then shot back an aggrieved look, as if the radio-wave hiss of distant suns carried, subtly modulated, an accusation.

"Sour grapes," she muttered, giving one particularly cheeky-seeming G2V a baleful look. "Well!," she grinned, gesturing expansively with a forehoof, "perhaps it is sour grapes, but I assure you, I am condemning them from inside a wine cellar."

Rhetorical victory against a distant foe thus assured, she leaned back again, and poured herself a second glass, cheerfully toasting the shabby and faithless nature of metaphors.

PreviousChapters Next