• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 3,669 Views, 59 Comments

Your Music Is All I Need - TheStarsGuide



Vinyl invites Octavia to a performance on a special night of planned actions and words.

  • ...
12
 59
 3,669

Chapter 1

Large vibrating speakers hanging high above in corners and straight ahead shook with noise. The major attraction of the club was about to begin. Many ponies filed in through the doorway while others moved from the bar or walls towards the stage.

“Fillies and colts, I believe you came for a good time, am I right?” came a deep, smooth voice. A white unicorn stallion with icy-blue hair and black shades slowly walked out onto the stage from the right side. All in front of him, many, many ponies were cheering and hollering.

“I said, am I right?”

The cheering doubled in strength and every single pony in the crowd stomped their hooves. The stallion put on a toothy grin and floated a jet black microphone over beside him. Clearing his throat, he slid the steely sound capturing cage in front of his mouth.

“We love you, Corsair!” screamed one young mare who was being supported by her two earth pony friends. He flashed a smirk her way. His horn lit up slightly brighter and a small white flash touched the forehead of the mare. She gasped and fell back, giggling like a maniac, as her friends tried to keep her from smacking into the floor. She had just received one of his famous “magic taps.”

“Now then, everypony. Do you want some fun?”

“Yeah!” screamed the large crowd.

“How about some great music?”

“Yeah!” they repeated, this time louder.

“Then give a grand welcoming applause to our rockin’ entertainment...” He circled a hoof and slid to the side, gesturing to a rising platform behind. Speakers, monitors, equalizers, sound waves, record players, and microphones all unfolded and set up from what was originally just a box. Mechanical whines shot through the building as the sides folded down and showed even more speakers. All of the lights went out and the crowd fell to a silence. They were awaiting the big attraction. And such an attraction it was.

A single, loud bass note shook the foundations. Many lasers of vastly different colors shined out across the audience. They audibly gasped and held their breath. The lasers swept up at an angle and the sound of steam escaped the stage. Dense fog began rolling over and poured down into the very front lines of the crowd. Lights from the mechanical booth shined against the back wall. A single bass note hit every half of a second. Within a few seconds, the crowd began stomping in time with it, making the room rock and vibrate.

“DJ P0N-3!”

Then, the entertainer arrived. Up from behind the table full of discs, equalizers, panels, sliders, and all other sorts of music changing contraptions, rose a mass of hair that nodded with the beat. Then came what the DJ was famous for. As the unicorn continued rising up and bobbing her two-tone mane, she looked out over the crowd from behind her large blue shades. A large, shining smile was plastered on her face as her audience began stomping madly.

“Go Vinyl!” cried one gray mare way in the back of the crowd. The DJ’s eyes flicked over to see who it was, and put on an even bigger smile. She recognized that long, flowing black mane. Her eyes went back down to her table and she lit up her horn. Magic as white as marble enveloped her tools and the record. Hard, loud music began playing as the equalizers flashed colors and the monitors showed spiking wavelengths. Her audience cheered once more, and some went almost immediately to dancing to the music.




Halfway through the night, a portion of the crowd had left. Vinyl Scratch didn’t mind though; there were still many party goers left. She caught sight of her favorite fan at the bar and slipped from her booth. The ponies dispersed as she walked through them, leaving an open pathway for their entertainer. Her target didn’t notice until she tapped her shoulder. The gray mare turned around and widened her eyes slightly.

“Hello, Octavia,” the DJ smoothly said.

“Hello, Vinyl. What are you doing down here?” Octavia raised an eyebrow and took a delicate sip of her drink. “It’s not common that you move from your stage.”

Vinyl Scratch grinned and hoisted the cellist from her seat. “I wanted to make a surprise.”

Octavia smiled back at her. “Oh? And what would that be?”

Horn lighting up, the music suddenly changed to a slightly smoother song with a weaker bass line. “A dance, my fair mare.”

“I - wha-,” responded the flabbergasted pony. Nearby ponies took notice of this event and stopped their movements to watch, or spread the word. “A, a dance?”

Vinyl nodded and slowly took off her shades. Groups of dancers who saw the spectacle all let out one big “Ooh!” in surprise. The rest of the partiers all stopped and turned to face the pair.

“B-but I’m not a good dancer, and-”

“You have to do it now!” interrupted one young stallion. Others began chanting, eager for her to accept the invitation.

“Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!”

Octavia, feeling defeated and blushing wildly due to the public display, slowly followed Vinyl into the center of the dance floor. Ponies that originally took the space now parted and kept a large open circle for the couple. All of them waited for their star’s movements. The DJ wrapped her forelegs around the cellist and motioned for her to do the same. She closed her eyes, focused on the song, and began moving to the music. Vinyl Scratch opened her red eyes and smiled to the reddened mare in her hold as her steps gracefully slid across the floor. Octavia tried her best to follow in time, but messed up on a few occassions. The music smoothly changed into a different song, the sounds light and almost airy as the half-second bass returned, but much softer.

The two mares swiftly danced around by Vinyl’s guidance, swirling as a sound in the song came like a sucking breath for air. Then something completely different.

“My love, is yours.

You want in, just come.

Music is all I’ll need, all day.”

The whole building full of ponies looked around for the new, odd voice. They’ve never heard it before and turned to the empty DJ booth. Whatever the song was, it’s completely new and not something she had ever played before.

“It’s her!” cried a pegasus who floated above the crowd and pointed an accusing hoof at the pair of dancing mares. All of them intently focused on the two and gasped as the next set of lines rang through the music.

“Do you, wanna be,

My love, all night,

Forever, forever.

I just need some more.”

Their favorite DJ, star, artist, musical instructor was singing. Singing! Many of the fans screamed in excitement and some keeled over, only to be yanked back up by another partier beside them.

“My love, is yours.

You want in, just come.

Music is all I’ll need, all day.”

Speakers set up around the dance club radiated her smooth, slightly deep voice through everypony’s ears. It sounded like the sweetest, most enjoyable thing possible to them. Several thought that it even outmatched the Princess’s voice.

“Do you, wanna be,

My love, all night,

Forever, forever.

I just need some more.

I’ll be your sunshine.

I’m gonna love you like nopony has done,

With you.

Until the moonlight,

I’m gonna try to make it up with you,

On this song.”

Octavia’s mouth hung open slightly, amazed at the singing voice of this hard and usually loud unicorn. Her voice was almost divine; like delicate silk upon her ears. Vinyl winked at the mare in her grasp and repeated the chorus.

“I’ll be your sunshine.

I’m gonna love you like nopony has done,

With you.

Until the moonlight,

I’m gonna try to make it up with you,

On this song.”

They continued twirling and swirling around the floor, uninterrupted by the many watchers who longingly wanted to be in the cellist’s spot. One unicorn colt magically pulled up a camera and began snapping shots of the pair. Their combined hoofwork was absolutely unrivaled. Octavia’s mane drifted in the breeze from the turns and twirls. She found herself staring into the glowing red eyes of love. They stared right back into hers. She fumbled for words to form on her mouth in desperation. Some sort of sentence had to be said about this pleasurable moment.

Her train of scrabbling thoughts was cut short by a loud gasp by the audience. And something on her lips.

Octavia’s eyes shot wide open while Vinyl Scratch closed hers and pulled the mare closer until their bodies pressed into each other’s. This sensation... it was too much for the cellist. Such softness, like the puffiest and lightest cloud possible in the great sky; the texture, like a petal from a lovely rose; her warmth, like a gentle fire during the cold winter months. And the taste. It was absolutely heaven; indescribable. Her purple eyes drifted shut as a few mares made a chorus of “Aww...”

Her gray hooves looped around the marble coat of Vinyl, gently embracing her. Fires burned and churned in her heart, erupting dangerously as her body heated up. She needed a breath, a moment of pause, but her body didn’t let her move. It was frozen in place from the love that spilled through her senses from the musical unicorn. Her mind lost all coordination and tracking of time as she stayed there, cheeks burning rose red.




“I can’t believe you kissed me in public!” Octavia poked her marefriend and pouted.

“Hey, hey, you liked it,” the DJ reminded her with a grin as she worked their home’s door open. “Besides, I said I wanted to do something special for our anniversary.”

The cellist huffed and stuck her nose up in the air. “You could have done something less embarrassing.”

“Alright, fine.” Vinyl rolled her eyes and let the gray mare inside. She closed the door quietly and turned back to face Octavia. “You’re not going to let this settle, are ya?”

“No,” she retorted. The milky colored DJ’s face showed a little pain. “Unless...” Her hooves glided over to the unicorn and she put on a smile. “Unless you sing again.”

Vinyl took Octavia in her hooves and pulled her close, her face coming to rest only an inch from the cellist’s. “Is that all, my sweet?” She nodded her black maned head.

Both of them carefully stepped around their living room, making sure to not stray from the invisible circle of a dance floor. Vinyl swayed back and forth as she remembered all of the song’s exact beat and notes. Then she opened her mouth.

“My love, is yours.

You want in, just come.

Music is all I’ll need, all day.

Do you, wanna be,

My love, all night,

Forever, forever.

I just need some more.”

Octavia rested her head beside Vinyl’s, letting her carry them around the floor in elegant swirls. She quietly hummed the song as her lover continued singing the lines. Her mind became peaceful, void of anything but her growing passion.

“My love, is yours.

You want in, just come.

Music is all I’ll need, all day.

Do you, wanna be,

My love, all night,

Forever, forever.

I just need some more.”

Octavia parted her lips and straightened up. Her eyes became fixed onto the pools of red as her own voice slowly brought up to combine with that of the DJ’s. They continued their swift yet accurate and charming movements all over the floor, straying from their previous area. Their surroundings became a blur as they focused only on each other.

“I’ll be your sunshine.

I’m gonna love you like nopony has done,

With you.

Until the moonlight,

I’m gonna try to make it up with you,

On this song.

I’ll be your sunshine.

I’m gonna love you like nopony has done,

With you.

Until the moonlight,

I’m gonna try to make it up with you,

On this song.”

Their singing drifted off into silence, but they both played the rest of the song in their heads. They touched their foreheads together and stayed gazing deep into the other’s eyes, into the love they felt.

Octavia was the first to break the silence. “I love you, Vinyl.”

“I love you too, Octavia.”

The two mares smiled and rose their voices up, once more singing the song. But this time, they sang the whole thing together while striding all around the living room.

“My love, is yours.

You want in, just come.

Music is all I’ll need, all day...”



A/N: Whew, this certainly is different than my usual stuff! My first writing that could somewhat be classified as a romance or ship, how 'bout that? I wrote this in a short amount of time and I kind of like how it is. However, I don't like the very beginning intro. It's too darn short. If anyone has any ideas on that then just drop a comment off!

I hope you all enjoyed this piece.

I forgot to give credit to my reviewers! MadMan and SanityLost, both of you are great.