• Published 21st Apr 2014
  • 22,205 Views, 1,554 Comments

Sparkle's No. 1 Assistant - Wanderer D

  • ...
88
 1,554
 22,205

PreviousChapters Next
Loyalty Mission 4: Strings of the Trigger Mare

Sparkle's No. 1 Assistant

Loyalty Mission 4: Strings of the Trigger Mare

By Wanderer D

The door to the Black Cricket squealed open and the bartender looked up at first without much interest, but soon, his face lit with a smile. "Well, there's a face I never thought I'd see here again."

"Charred Oak," Octavia greeted with a small smile of her own, as she made her way into the small hallway-like room. She took a seat at the bar and and gazed at the enormous amount of alcohol behind it and the earth pony bartender. "You still keep well stocked, I see."

Charred Oak chuckled, pulling up two lowball glasses and pouring an amber liquid inside from a bottle he had hidden behind the bar. "Here, on the house. It's been a while, Octavia."

Octavia swirled the liquid in the glass, taking a slow sip of it and nodding with delight. "32 years, single malt... very nice. What's the brand?"

Charred Oak smirked. "Well, an old stallion has to keep his secrets." He watched silently as his guest had another sip. "I know that look, though. This is not just a social visit, is it?"

Octavia sighed, staring at the glass. "Am I that transparent?"

"Only to those that know you well, I reckon." Charred Oak chuckled, taking a sip of his own glass. "I remember what you went through to get out, Octavia. What you did so you could get that chance and move up in the world and away from this place. From... us." He looked into her eyes. "I know you wouldn't visit unless it was serious."

Octavia sighed, nodding as she pushed a folded slip of paper towards Charred Oak across the bar.

The bartender didn't take it, only glancing at the offering with a raised eyebrow. "And this is?"

"The reason I'm here," Octavia said, eyes on the piece of paper. "Somepony slipped what's written in it into a friend's saddle bag. I just want to know what the history of it is. There's no need to dig too deep."

"Is this about Commander Sparkle?" Charred Oak asked, drawing a surprised look from Octavia. "Oh come on now, Octavia. We watch the news. Not everypony we know is happy 'bout it, but for the most part the general agreement is that it's good you're working with her... unless of course that means we are now enemies."

Octavia scoffed at that. "Of course not. Commander Sparkle has her eyes set somewhere else." She sat her glass on the bar and tilted it with her hoof, keeping an eye on the amber liquid inside as it moved with the angle. "When I asked her about it, she said that it didn't matter anymore, but wouldn't go into more detail than that."

Charred Oak shrugged. "Don't you trust her?"

"Yes! Of course I do!" Octavia said, quickly looking up at the bartender. "It's just... just—"

"Good old Octavia," Charred Oak interrupted, chuckling as he slowly drew the paper to his side of the bar. "Can't let things rest, can you?"

With a shrug and a lopsided smile, she nodded. She was about to take another sip of her drink when Charred Oak's eyes widened and he quickly hid the piece of paper. It wasn't a second later that the door opened behind her.

"Well, well," a familiar voice rasped. "If it isn't our very own Octavia. I thought you were done with us for good, darling."

"Two Hooves," Octavia spat. "Should you really be here? Does the Old Stallion know you're hanging in a bar in the middle of the day?"

Two Hooves chuckled and sat next to Octavia, his dark blue coat contrasting heavily with the white suit and fedora he was wearing. He looked at Charred Oak. "I'll have what she's having."

Charred Oak shrugged and served him some whiskey from the counter, which Two Hooves downed in one gulp. "Aha! That hits the spot." He leered at Octavia. "Since you're out of the loop, I'll have you know the Old Stallion named me his successor."

"You?" Octavia could help the snort that accompanied the question, and Two Hooves slammed his glass down.

"Yes, me!" he snarled, leaning forward until he was an inch away from her face. "Why, do you find it funny, 'Strings'?"

Octavia's eyebrow twitched, but she didn't back away. "Don't call me that, Hooves."

Two Hooves snorted and leaned back, jaw clenched. "You've been gone a long time, Octavia. You should stay gone. I'll respect the Old Stallion's wishes to keep your involvement a secret, so long as you show me some respect!"

Octavia closed her eyes and took a deep breath, rolling her shoulders back and putting both hooves up in a placating gesture. "Fair enough, Two Hooves," she said at length, opening her eyes. "I have been gone for a while, as you say, and a lot of things can change. If the Old Stallion thought you were the right choice, then you were. It's none of my business anyway."

"Durn right it isn't," Two Hooves growled, but didn't invade her personal space. Grunting, he slid back away from the bar and walked to the door. "I expect not to see you again in my territory, capice?"

Octavia didn't reply, but he hadn't waited for her to speak up. Soon enough the door slammed shut and Charred Oak let out a loud breath. "Dammit Octavia, the last thing I want in my bar is a dead body."

She shook her head. "I'm sorry, Charred, I should have kept my mouth shut. But I can't believe the Old Stallion would choose Salty Two Hooves Capicollo as his successor."

Charred Oak started scrubbing the bar.

"Charred." Octavia leaned forward. "What aren't you telling me?"

"Finish your drink, Octavia. I'll look into this note you left me, alright?"

"Charred."

Charred Oak grimaced and turned around, putting down a shot glass and filling it up with a clear liquid too fast for Octavia to read the label before he had put it away. A second after, he had downed the shot. "Gah."

"Charred. Do I need to repeat myself?"

Charred Oak looked at her and shook his head. "Octavia, this is something that has to do with the family. You wanted out, stay out, filly."

"But the Old Stallion—"

"Is no longer your concern," Charred Oak said kindly. "I know you have a soft spot for him, but—"

"Charred, I deserve to know if he's okay, he got me out, remember?" Octavia insisted. "Please. Is he... okay?"

"He's alive." Charred Oak sighed, pulling the bottle from under the bar, walking around the it and locking the door before heading back to sit next to her. "He's just old, and, well he needed to choose a successor before somepony chose for him." He shook his head, placing the bottle on the bar. "Not that he had much of a choice," he muttered, then winced when he noticed that she had heard him.

"What do you mean?" Octavia asked.

Charred Oak took a deep breath. "You're right that Two Hooves wasn't his first choice," he said after a moment. "His first choice was Kale "The Face" Agnolotti. You remember him."

Octavia nodded, taking a sip to hide her blush.

"Well, turns out The Face was spilling his guts to the Royal Guard, who knew."

"What? The Face? No way he was a snitch." Octavia stared at Charred Oak before shaking her head in denial. "He was the Old Stallion's personal assistant, from Trigger Pony to Consigliere! He's been in the family for longer than I've been alive!"

"He was."

"Oh."

Charred Oak shook his head. "Of course the next one he had in mind was Basil 'Lucky' Bucatini. Turns out that mare had the worst of luck. Fell into a ditch during a storm."

Octavia narrowed her eyes. "Why Lucky? Why not The Rabbit?"

"Well, you see The Rabbit got caught in a snare. She was arrested when the Guard happened to find her at an inconvenient time with several kilos of Moon Dust hidden away in her house, all prepped up and ready for selling."

"But the family never sold drugs," Octavia pointed out. "And the Royal Guard wouldn't be able to find their reflection in a mirror without assistance."

"Imagine that." Charred Oak sighed. "The Old Stallion was livid, he disowned her, forbidding anypony from attempting to release her, and paved the way for Lucky to run out of luck a year later."

"I'm beginning to see a pattern here."

Charred Oak snorted, serving more alcohol in both glasses. "It's easier in hindsight. At the time, the Old Stallion had no idea. He thought Rabbit had crossed the line." He downed his drink again. "Turns out Two Hooves and a couple of other capos were behind it."

"So they made their move and—"

"They captured the Old Stallion. He's still the head of the Family for now, you see, it's more convenient for Two Hooves and the others to have him as a figure head. Keeps the sight of others on him, rather than them."

"Why-never mind. How did they take him alive? The Old Stallion would never let them have the Family without a fight."

Charred Oak grimaced. "Well... you see, there's the thing. They have the Old Stallion in hoof because... they threatened the two things he has left unless he did his thing."

Octavia's eyes widened. "You mean..."

Charred Oak nodded. "With you firmly out of the Family, they went for the young ones. Your sisters."

Octavia sat in stunned silence for less than a minute. Then her brow darkened and she snarled, downing her own drink in one gulp and feeling it burn her throat and warm her stomach. The smokiness of the drink brought back memories. Good memories. She slammed down the glass and stood up, making her way to the door.

"Octavia. Please, stay out of it. You can't barge in there. If something happens to you... the Old Stallion wouldn't be able to handle it."

Octavia shook her head, but didn't look back. "I'm not going there."

Charred Oak sighed in relief. "Good, I wouldn't want t—"

"I'm going to cash in on a debt." Octavia pushed the door open. "And then I'm reclaiming the Family."

Author's Note:

Like what you read? Remember that by joining my Patreon, you are helping the creation of more stories to enjoy!

PreviousChapters Next