• Published 21st Apr 2014
  • 2,270 Views, 129 Comments

Pinkie promise - Deadcat



the truth of how rainbow dash and pinkie pie met, and the tragedy that causes them to be the mares who you know and love from the show.

  • ...
4
 129
 2,270

Hope to fly

Chapter 6: Hope to fly


Instead of going to the Commons Room, Rainbow Dash wanted to spend time outside at the courtyard. "We have to sneak out," she told me. We slipped passed the ominous hallways and the emotionless guards. After a few windy, squeaky staircases, we found the doors to the courtyard. Using the hair clip from her nurse, Rainbow opened the door, revealing tall, grassy hills and a glowing sunset. "Check it," she called confidently. She nudged me over to the courtyard, where black fences were bound together surrounding it. The sunset shimmered through the trees, creating long and abstract shadows along the grass. The orange glow ripped through the small gaps of Rainbow's hair, making the rest of her hair shimmer in a lovely gold and orange.

"Hey...... Hey Pinkie?" My eyes bounced to Rainbow. "Dude, are you okay? You were lookin' at me all weird. Is there... a problem?" Rainbow gave me a worried look; it melted my heart, that she would worry about me.

"No," I said,"everything is perfect." She nudged me to her side,

"I have a game we can play." A game? I've never played a game before. We never played games at the rock farm. As the pungent Pegasus led me to the edge if the courtyard, she said we'd be playing "leap pony".

"All you have to do is jump on top of me, land on your hooves, and let me jump over you!!!" She said. I gave her a worried glance. What was the point of this game? I looked at rainbow and rolled my eyes playfully.

"Ready?" said Rainbow.

"Yeah....." I replied. Leaping into the air as swift as I could, I breathed in the crisp air. I landed in front of her, and Rainbow winked at me, a sign of approval. Just as graceful as she was, Rainbow jumped over me, stretching her hooves mid-air, enjoying the soothing whistles of air through her ears, and landed on the luscious grass on the ground.

"Okay!! Your turn Pinkie!!" I scooted my hind legs back, and conjured enough momentum to jump over Rainbow.
I was in the air, as soon as I heard a strict voice from behind.

"Hey? What are you doing here?" said a guard. My lips trembled.

"W-we were j-j-just," i began, but thankfully, Rainbow put her hoof before me. With a sly grin, she lied to the guard,

"We were just going to the hills and courtyard cause out nurses wanted us to get physical activity,"she scoffed, kicking at a pile of leaves and grass as she cocked her head in the air. The guards eyes narrowed,

"Where are your passes?" he questioned harshly. The frazzled Pegasus searched her mind for a spurious comment to buy us some time. It was silent for a while. The guard sighed heavily "ya know what, I don't want to punish a filly today, and you don't want to face doctor Helfing again, you didn't see me, I didn't see you" he spat asperously. And with that he trotted of nervously. Rainbows paranoia melted of as she wore a victorious grin.


"C'mon, last one to the hill is a rotten egg!" Acknowledging what she instructed, I followed the cyan filly to the hill. My hooves hurt quickly, so at a fast rhythm, I began to......hop. I gained speed, but not enough to beat Rainbow. She zoomed past, her mane flapping against the wind. Right behind her, the sunset glowed more than ever before. I felt free.

I felt happy.


Closing in at the top of the hill, Rainbow got there first. I saw the wild flash in her eyes. She was remarkable. Bold. Beautiful.

"PINKIE PIE!! LOOK HERE!" Rainbow squealed. I Galloped over, and saw a bunch of dandelions along the top if the hill. They were white and fluffy. We sat upon the soft and safe ground as we caught our breaths. I glared at Rainbow and closed my eyes as I breathed in the fresh air. I practically drank it. I hadn't been outside in what felt like ages, That hospital was a living nightmare, But out here, it's remarkable. It was much different than the bland and tiring rock-farm. It was all grey and lonely, But this, this is different. There are different shades if blues and greens. I hadn't seen hills large as those but the rocky piles I had to collect from. The sunset turned bright orange and sparkly, to a gloomy, but just as lovely red orange. My eyes darted to Rainbows mane. It was so amazing. The filly had majestic hair. My eyes began to travel to her flank. She doesn't have her cutie mark, and I hope to see what it becomes. My eyes peeped at the white rope that binded her wings together. Poor Rainbow, Pegasus are supposed to fly, not be caged. It was cruel to cage a pony born with wings. Her natural merrit was to fly, but there those doctors were, defying the laws of nature.

"Pinkie, Let's make a wish.." She suggested pulling a dandelion to her lips. She Mumbled a few soft words, she then opened her eyes and looked at me. "Your turn,"she said. Mimicking her actions, I made a wish I'm my head. It's like back in the farm, how I would wish upon a star. I looked at the cyan filly,

"what did you wish for" I asked curiously, batting my eyes. Rainbow Dash scoffed, and flipped her bangs out if her eyes.

"I wished that I can one day get out of here. I want this place bulldozed and gone. What about you?" I took a deep breath and slightly grinned

" I wish...... I wish that I could fly." I blushed and looked at Rainbow. It's silly how an earth-pony like me would want the desire to fly. But playing leappony and hopping high as I did racing on the hill, I felt happy.

I wanted to feel happy forever.

Rainbow seemed to understand what I meant. "Once I get this dumb restrictor off, I think I can help you with that." I softly thanked her. Rainbow is just so wonderful, But sometimes, she's just really upset.
Softly sniffling to herself, I soon realized that under her messy bangs, Rainbow was crying. "Pinkie, I wanna fly too. I-I wanna fly so damn bad!" I looked at her face, tears reflected against the soft sunset. I inched closer to the poor filly. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to comfort her.

"Rainbow, I'm so sorry. It's so wrong, what they are doing to you. You don't deserve this," I said. I rested my chin on top if her head. "Nobody deserves this. "
Rainbow looked at me. Despite the tears, she laughed. "Pinkie, that's the longest thing I've ever heard you say," sniffling, she nuzzled her face into my neck. I smiled,"don't you worry Rainbow, I'll help to get you out of here."

And with that, we gazed into the vanishing sunset, waiting for our wishes to come true.

"Ya know. I have an idea, we could just run, we could dart past the security and through the gate and past the Everfree. We could just leave." She suggested with a sad smile. I nodded my head excitedly. We both knew we would never escape, somewhere in the back of our broken minds and lost hearts, we were aware of the improbability of our escape, but there was something about the idea of having that option that we fancied. The false hope that we could cut our torture short was the fuel in our engines.


"Where would we go, Dashie?" I inquired, calling her by the nickname I had just invented. The cyan Pegasus gazed out at the sun and ignored the fact I called her 'Dashie'

"That's the fun part, When we don't know" she uttered

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Rainbow Dash," Nurse Blue Heart called," Are you ready to take off your restricter?" Eager to get it off, the sky blue pony trotted off the chair she was sitting on, and headed right next to the nurse. We were in the Pegasi Corridor, where all the pegasus patients are treated. I looked around the room. There were red window curtains, but the windows were marbled, so we couldn't see through them. The tile floors were bleach white, and the front desk of the treatment room was occupied by nurse Blue Heart.


"Please, Rainbow Dash, follow me." But Rainbow tugged back and eyed from Blue Heart to me, and back to Blue heart.


"Uhhh....can Pinkie- uh Pinkamena..... Can she come with me? I want her to be there when I get this darn thing off." Nurse Blue Heart gave a stern yet sad look,


"Rainbow Dash, this is the Pegasi Corridor. An earth-pony like her shouldn't be here in the first place."

But Rainbow wouldn't take 'no' for an answer.

"Please! She needs to be there!! Please!!" Nurse Blue Heart softened her look.

"Okay. But she will have to be exempt from the Commons room for one day." Rainbow looked at me, and for an attempt to make her happy, I nodded, it was worth it to lose a day in the Commons Room for Rainbow Dash. A happy smile flooded across her face. Blue Heart led us to a room, and told me to stay near the door. The room looked just as ominous and empty as the hallways. There were black countertops and cabinets lined against the walls. The rooms were white, and there were no windows. There was a chair in the middle, and a pile of shackles in the corner of the room. Oh no.Two guards were lined up against the wall, and just as she came in, they pinned Rainbow to the wall.

"HEY!!! What's your problem?! I didn't do anything wrong!!!" The spunky filly quickly looked at me, a pleading expression on her face, maybe that I might do something. I wasn't sure what was going on, but Rainbow needed my help. Although, I couldn't force myself to move.

"Don't worry, my dear Pegasus, of course you didn't do anything wrong."The soft nurse walked by the counter that was formed the perimeter if the walls. She opened a cabinet and grabbed a needle with blue liquid inside, almost like the color of the Pegasus's azure coat. One of the guards placed Rainbow Dash into the chair, while the other grabbed the shackles, and attached them to the chair and onto Rainbow's front and hind hooves.

"Wha-Hey!! Get me out!! Pi-" but before she finished saying my name, Blue Heart stuck the needle into the side of Rainbows hair. I gasped and shoved my body closer to the edge of the wall. Why did Blue Heart do that??

"It's alright, we are still taking off Rainbows restrictor, we just need to chain and sterilize her, just so that she won't bolt off after the restrictor is off" the nurse cooed, a fringent tone in her voice, just like the lose hair in her perfect blue bun. I exhaled deeply in relief. Nurse Blue Heart walked towards a weak and dazed Rainbow Dash, and punched in a combination that unlocked the restricter. The guards then released Rainbow, and she crashed onto the floor. One of the guards picked her up, and took her out of the room. The other gave me a scroll, and before I could ask Nurse Blue Heart where Rainbow Dash was being taken, she answered,


"they are taking her to her room to rest. Tomorrow she will wake. Then she focused on the scroll I was given. These are the rules that apply to Rainbow Dash and her wings. Every time she breaks a rule, she will be......punished. Got it?" I looked at her and nodded in agreement. Blue Heart then led me out if the room, and I exited the Pegasus Corridor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rule 1: a nurse of Pegasus origin must accompany you at all times" I read out authoritatively, mocking doctor Helfing's voice as Rainbow giggled. We sat on the soft and warm ground. Patients trotted around the courtyard. It was recess which meant we hadn't had to sneak out this time. Rainbow kicked the ground in a flurry of frustration.

"UHG! This blows," she yelped angrily,"with all these ridiculous rules, I might as well still have my restrictor on!" She spat at the ground in vehement wrath. I approached my rainbow friend in a calm demeanor.

"Hey, look on the bright side-" I paused to think of a bright side. I was left without one and blushed with embarrassment, we both giggled. Rainbow looked to the sky, longing, evident in her eyes, with a grin, she flapped her wings, as if she was revving her engines. "What are you planing, Dashie?" I queried as her magenta eyes stared at me with a hint of mischievous excitement. Suddenly she grabbed me by the tail and flung me onto her back and flapped her wings and we took of to the sky. Nurses screams ceased in the thin air as we out flew the Pegasus guards darting after us. I held on for dear life as the wind forced my eyes open and my mouth to be pulled back to my ears. Suddenly, a smile crossed my lips, the biggest I've ever smiled. My ice blue eyes shrank in sheer joy and happiness. Adrenaline pumped through my veins, as if someone had injected it straight into my heart.


I'm flying.


Finally, Rainbow had came to a halt and we stayed frozen and still in the thin air. Rainbow was breathing heavily and so was I. Rainbow slowly soared to a nearby cloud that she laid her hooves on. Then I noticed how high we were. The hospital was about the size if a golden bit from up here. My heart raced faster as I hollered in a mix of horror and excitement.

"RAINBOW DASH AND PINKAMENA , COME DOWN AND ONCE AND FACE YOUR CONSEQUENCES!" A loud voice boomed up to us. As I looked I saw a caramel coated doctor with a megaphone.

"Oh great, it's doctor Helfing," I fixed my gaze onto the exasperated but free Pegasus. "Dashie, there never gonna let us fly again." I remarked quietly and flatly.


"Then let's make it one hell of a ride" she grinned


We shot downwards, gravity pulling us faster and faster. I screamed in excitement but my shriek was lost in the wind bellowing through my ears. A white cone of air began to form around us as we go faster and faster. My mind raced as fast as my heart. Excitement turned into fear, and back to excitement. It seemed we were going too fast.

"Rainbow, are you sure we won't crash? We are going to fast!! Rainbow be careful!" I screeched. The cone of air got thicker and thicker, I was sure that we would give out and the wind would conquer us and we would all die, but Dashie was determined. Determined to give me the ride of a lifetime, and that it surely was. Suddenly the cone of air gave way and as I broke a loud crashing noise followed. I whipped my head around to see a rainbow colored explosion coat the sky and light up the cold, thin air. My eyes sparkled in the light as I noticed flecks of pink in the rainbow explosion. I noticed a rainbow trailing our path downwards to the hospital. With hope, I stared at Rainbows flank, and just as I hoped, her flank began to illuminate, and then, I saw a shape slowly seep onto her flank.

Her cutie mark.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I suppose, now that I look back on it, the rainbow mares cutie mark, doesn't only mean she was a born flyer, it means she wants to lift others up. Somepony's wonder why it took her so long to do a second sonic rainboom, but I know why. The first time she did it, was with me. She was determined to help me, she cared for me enough to sacrifice her freedom to show me a good time, to help me, to save me. The second time was at the young fliers competition. She was determined to save Rarity and the Wonderbolts. The third time, was at Shining Armor and Princess Cadence's wedding, she was determined to give them the best wedding ever. Her cutie mark has a deeper meaning to it, it means she loves another pony so much to give them the gift of the sonic rainboom, she saves a pony and gives something to a pony every time she dose a feat like that. She's not just a born racer, she's a born savior too.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When my hooves landed on the soft dirt, one thing about me had changed, my hair was spastic and bouncy, it made me look happy and outgoing, it chained me. I guess it was from the Rainboom, my hair fluffed up. I came to like my hair like this.

Guards and nurses rushed to us and held us down and dragged us of into the hospital. Ponies in the crowd of mental patients cheered us on.

"Stick it to the man!" A tall dark stallion yelled. That's when I realized, we weren't the only ones who had sensed the corruption of Helping Hoof, and we weren't just mischievous filly's, we were a sign of hope to everypony else, we were the living proof of the hospitals downfall, and dr. Helfing knew it