• Published 31st Mar 2012
  • 4,026 Views, 213 Comments

Life in Another Pony's Hooves - HonorBound



If given the chance, would you trade bodies with a pony? Even if that pony was Blueblood? I did.

  • ...
22
 213
 4,026

Chapter 12: From Bad To Worse

“Twilight? What are you doing up here?” Spike asked, but paused shortly after. “Hay! It’s my room too!” he shouted in protest to her earlier claims. Crossing his arms he grumbled unhappily, “Shouldn’t you be enjoying the party, anyways?”

“I needed to do some… research on a matter that had just come up.” she explained, looking anywhere but in my general direction. It was hard to tell from the light of her horn but I was convinced that she had the faintest of blushes on her face.

“In the dark?” the little dragon pressed.

“No.” she snapped. “I was reading by candlelight until you opened the door; the resulting gust of wind snuffed it out.”

“So, why did you wait, until now, to say anything?” I asked with genuine curiosity, though my tone was uneven, showing my uncertainty on her knowing some, but not all, of the truth.

Was she trying to spy on me or something? How is she going to react to me now? Should I just come clean and tell her everything now?

Bah. Twilight always was one to eavesdrop on matters that didn’t concern her.

Twilight visibly stiffened at the sound of my voice. “I.. I…”

“It’s all right, Twilight.” Celestia soothed her most faithful student. “You are among friends; nopony will judge you for being curious.”

I will.

Shut up.

“I’m sorry princess. I know I shouldn’t have, but… when Honor Bound said you did something magical to him, I just wanted to know what it was. He said he wasn’t happy that Princess Luna enchanted him, but he seemed incredibly thrilled for what you did for him.

“I could have asked, I know, but considering how evasive he was being with Spike, I deduced that he probably wouldn’t be willing to tell me himself.” the purple mare explained in a guilty tone of voice as she hung her head low to the ground. “Can you forgive me for listening in?” she asked looking up at all of us with hopeful eyes.

What should I say to this? Of course I’ll forgiver her. I’m not mad at her at all. Hell! I fully intended to tell her once she had a chance to get to know me better.

Would that have actually helped things?

Well… no. I guess not.

Correct. She would have just dismissed you sooner for your trouble. Best to return my body, and go back to whatever backwater dimension that you crawled out of.

Oh, just shut up! I rubbed my head with my hoof. You’re actually giving me a headache. Let me think in peace!

While, I was pondering on what I should say, Celestia, Luna, and Spike had all given their forgiveness to the purple mare, leaving only myself to give my own. However, before I could, Luna voiced a question that Twilight had brought up in her apology.

“We are confused.” she stated. “We hath not enchanted young Honor Bound with any form of spell. Why doth thou accuse us of such?”

My head snapped up to look at her in confused astonishment, while Twilight was glancing back and forth between Luna and me in simple bafflement.

“Huh?” I vocalized. B..but I was sure that it was her. If not Luna, than who? The only other pony that could do such a thing would be… I glanced over to the solar princess in askance.

Celestia shook her head in the negative at my silent inquisition.

So, neither princess enchanted me. Who does that leave that’s capable of that kind of spell then?

Who indeed.

No. I gaped It couldn’t have been you. You’re still a unicorn. Only alicorns can successfully enchant living things. The book said so. Not only that, but I’m in control of my magic. You couldn’t have done it.

You stupid simpleton! Of course it was me! I cast that spell over two hundred years ago, in order to gain more knowledge about magic and, incidentally, the pony mind.

B..but only alicorns…

What book said only alicorns could enchant ponies?

‘Magic and You: A…

…Beginners Guide to Understanding Spell Casting’? Really? It’s a beginners guide for Faust sake. It say’s so in the title, and it doesn’t even say ‘only alicorns can cast enchantments’. It says that only Princess Celestia and Luna have ever demonstrated a successful enchantment on a living creature.

The author of that book didn’t know about me, nor did anypony else for that matter. I have successfully kept my enchanting skills hidden, even from Celestia, for millennia, all the while increasing my own intellect in secret.

“I take it, from the long silence, that it was Blueblood, and he’s monologuing again?” Twilight concluded with confidence.

Rubbing at my cranium to try to ease my growing headache, I answered in the affirmative. “Yeah.”

“Alright, now that that is, no doubt, solved, let’s move on to the important matter at hoof.” directed the purple mare.

“You mean; how to get Blueblood out of my head?”

“That’s not the important issue on the top of my list!” she exclaimed tersely. “The matter at hoof is that you all lied to me about who Honor Bound really is.”

Twilight sounded a little broken up over my fabricated story, and I gulped at the implications of this information.

“I didn’t.” announced the little dragon in the room.

“Thank you Spike, but you weren’t the one I was talking to.”

“I..I’m…” I tried to stutter out an apology, but was interrupted by the hurt mare in front of me.

“It would have been different if it was somepony else. I would have been able to deal with it, and I might have even been able to write a friendship report about it afterwards, but this hurts so much, simply because it was you who lied to me. Why did you do it?” she asked, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

‘Because it was me who lied to her’? I.. I’m touched. Does she really care for me that much? Aww, Twilight, please don’t cry. I don’t want you to cry.

Doing my best not to grin like an idiot because she seemed to care deeply for me, I moved to answer and calm the mare in the most heartfelt way that I could muster. Sadly, however, she wasn’t finished talking yet.

“Celestia, why would you tell me that this pony was Blueblood’s brother and your nephew, if you knew that it was not true? What else have you told me that isn’t true? Am I not good enough? Do I need to work harder to be worthy of the truth? Please, tell me! What can I do to make myself worthy of you?” Twilight pleaded, as she threw herself at the foot of her mentor.

And with that, my expression fell and I was plunged into despair.

That hurts, Twilight. That really hurts. I know she wasn’t trying to, but that was really painful. Does she even care for me in any way shape or form now? Is there any way that I can fix this?

Doubtful. I warned you that this would happen. She doesn’t care for you. How could she? You’re not even a pony. You should return to your own people and leave my body in my care once again.

Celestia gave her student one of her calming smiles. “Twilight, my little pony, I’m sorry for misleading you. The only reason I wrote the words in that letter was because Honor Bound didn’t want his identity known yet.” The white princess glanced over to me, her smile growing ever so slightly. “I did so, under the impression that he would tell you when he was ready.”

Oh, come on! You’re not helping! You just told her that it was, basically, all my fault that you lied to her. This isn’t the time to troll me Celestia! I thought you were all for helping me out.

She turned her body fully to me. “You knew this would come about sooner or later, ‘Honor Bound’. There will always be pain when a lie is brought into the light. I think you have somepony to apologize to.” she said as she directed my gaze to Twilight, who was recovering from her earlier breakdown.

I hung my head in shame. Everyone in the room looking at me in expectance as I stepped closer to the mare I fell for.

I can do this. I need to do this. I can still make things right. She won’t turn me away. Right? She’ll see that I’m still the same person she met earlier today. It’s just that I wasn’t born a pony, and I know more about her than she is, no doubt, comfortable with. Aw Hell, this isn’t going to end well, is it?

It’s not going to matter much longer anyway. Might as well give up now, and walk away.

Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! You’re more of an annoyance than an actual threat. This is what really matters, right now. I need to fix this. Then, I’m going to get you out of my head with extreme prejudice. It may not be a perfect start, but it’s the only chance I have to win her heart. I will make this right, even if it kills me.

We’ll see.

Sighing to myself, I steeled my mind, and began my apology. “Twilight, I’m sorry I’ve been keeping things from you. It’s not like I wasn’t going to tell you sooner or later. I just…” I paused to rub at my temples, as pain moved through my head once more. “I just wanted you to think I was normal, while you got to know me, and…” I winced ever so slightly as another round of pain shot through me, stronger this time around. “…and I didn’t want you to judge me for what I was, but for who I am. Can you forgive me?” I finished, rubbing my throbbing noggin.

Great! What a time to get a migraine!

Twilight wiped away the tears that were threatening to leave the confines of her eyes, and stood up from the floor. “W.. Why should I trust you now?” she asked. “You’ve lied to me on multiple occasions from the start. Why should I believe anything else you say?”

“That’s not true!” I announce, addressing the one comment that didn’t ring true to my actions. “I only lied to you about my origins, nothing more. Everything else I’ve told you was the complete and utter truth. I swear!”

“How can I believe you though? Why should I believe you? It’s all become so confusing.” she commented as she looked down to the ground to search her feelings.

“So, what were you, before all this?” questioned the little dragon, who had remained silent for most of our conversation.

“Huh?” I questioned in confusion.

“It’s just that, from how everypony is talking, it sounds like you weren’t always you.” he clarified.

“I.. um.. uh.” I couldn’t think of what to say. There were just too many negative possibilities for both telling them and not telling them. The only thing I could think of to do was look to Celestia for guidance.

She smiled her disarming smile. “If you don’t like either option, I’ve always found that it’s best to choose the truth.” she advised.

I sighed once more. I really don’t want to do this. “I may not have been…” I paused to steel my resolve before continuing. “…born a pony.” I finished.

“I gathered as much from our previous conversations.” stated the purple unicorn. “I should have picked it up sooner. How can a unicorn not know how to use magic? It’s inconceivable. Not only that, but all the times that you used the incorrect nouns when describing ponies. ‘Someone’ instead of somepony. ‘Kid’ instead of foal. It’s obvious when I think about it now.”

“Yeah, that’s all great and… stuff, but what exactly were you?” Spike pressed.

“Um… I was… h..human.” I managed to spit out. My emotions were running wild, all warring against each other. Fear of rejection, hope that she’d accept me, relief that the truth is finally out, irritation that the truth was finally out, and a foreboding dread that something bad was about to happen.

“Human?” the baby dragon tried to clarify. “What’s that?”

Yet another sigh escaped my lips. “I’m not sure where to start honestly. They’re ape-like creatures that walk on two… ah.” I couldn’t finish my description as a larger jolt of pain shot through my skull, forcing me to vocalize the growing pain. My hooves were firmly clutching my head to try to control the increase in throbbing.

What is this? It’s not like any headache I’ve ever had before.

“Are thou alright?” asked Luna in concern.

“I… I don’t know. My head hurts.” I answered.

“Oh please.” Twilight groaned. “He’s probably just faking it, so he can get out of the situation he’s dug himself in.”

Celestia wasn’t convinced that her student’s explanation was accurate. “What kind of pain are you in?” she asked.

“It feels like my brain is trying to kick its way out of my skull.”

“Pppphhhph, yeah right.” mocked the element of magic.

“Oh dear. It’s as I feared then.”

The alicorn’s concern did little to relieve my suspicion that I was in some serious danger. Twilight’s demeanor changed instantly with the worry in Celestia’s voice. “What is, your highness?” she asked.

“It would seem that the pony brain is incapable of sustaining two minds inside one pony for an extended period of time.” she explained.

Indeed it cannot. I warned you that you would have to return my body to me, or suffer the consequences. Well, this is the consequence. If you do not vacate my body in less than two hours, your mind will be nothing more than a vegetable. However, because I am residing in the unused portions of the brain, I will remain unharmed. When all is said and done, I’ll be in control of myself once again!

“So what do we do?” Spike asked the royal ponies. “It’s not like we can just pluck him out and put him in somepony else.

“No, that would only move the problem to another pony.” Twilight surmised. “We could try using the Elements of Harmony on him.”

“Nu uh, no thank you.” I declined. “Those things are too random with how they resolve problems. I don’t want to be sealed away in stone for a thousand years.”

I must agree, the elements would most likely end up merging our minds in an attempt to create, what it sees as, harmony. I would prefer we not test this hypotheses.

Yeah, I really don’t want to be merged with you either.

“Well, what do you think we should do?” Twilight asked me.

“I don’t know!” I shot back. The pain in my head was making it difficult to think straight. It also might have been causing me to be a little short tempered.

The more you struggle, the faster the effects will set in.

“Pray tell, what effects dost thou speak of?” asked the lunar princess.

More pain, for starters, to the point where he’ll, most likely, lose consciousness. After that, his mind will slowly deteriorate, until there is nothing left. That is, of course, unless he is removed from my body and returned to his own.

Oh, fuck you in the worst possible way!

“There must be something that can be done.” Twilight spoke in a more worried tone than before.

“I don’t know what can be done.” answered the solar princess. “If we try to remove Blueblood from Honor Bound, he’ll do what he can to destroy Honor Bound’s mind in the process.”

“And if we take too long to do anything at all, then the same thing will happen.” Spike added.

Celestia turned to me with sorrowful eyes. “I’m sorry, my little pony, but it seems like there is no other way. In order to preserve your life, we must return you to your own dimension."

“Uhhh,” I moaned, the pain growing stronger as time goes on. “No, that won’t help anything.” I reasoned with a bolt of clarity. “Blueblood said that his construct is in my old body now. The same thing will happen if you return me there.”

Not likely. I designed it so that when a real consciousness is present in the same brain then the construct would fade away to nothingness, which is what will happen to you if you don’t leave soon.

“I’m sorry, but it seems to be the only way.” Celestia said.

Adrenalin was flowing freely in my veins, dulling the pain ever so slightly. “No! I don’t want to leave. This is the only place I’ve been truly happy, in a long time. There has to be another way.” I exclaimed.

Foolish human. Do you honestly prefer death over returning home?

“That place is no longer my home! It’s where I was born, but no more than that. This is my home now. This is where I want to spend the rest of my days. Be it millennia or a few minutes more. This is where I belong!”

So be it. If you are set to die here. Far be it from me to keep you waiting.

“No, don’t!” Luna exclaimed. “Please, I don’t want to lose another friend.” The princess of the night couldn’t take it any longer and broke down into sobs, leaning against her sister for support. “No more. Please.” she pleaded

You can join him, for all I care. This is only the beginning. I’ll be sure to finish the job with you once I am in control of my limbs once more.

After Blueblood said those words my head began to pound harder than before. I could feel my mind slipping away. Darkness began to shroud my sight. Taking what little time I had left, I decided to tell the mare I love how I truly feel about her. “Twilight,” I stumbled forward a bit unbalanced. “I lo…”

I’m not sure if I got the idea across or not, but I blacked out before I could tell her about my feelings. The last thing I was aware of was the sound of magic being charged into a horn as I hit the floor with a thud.