• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 6,211 Views, 562 Comments

Twilight Sparkle And the Very Confusing Apocalypse - kudzuhaiku



Twilight Sparkle wakes up, and right away, there is something wrong as her checklist can't be checked.

  • ...
36
 562
 6,211

Epilogue

Take comfort in the simple pleasures of life ✓

Twilight Sparkle stared at the eight foals sitting in the bathtub. Rainbow Dash’s foals were currently in her care, for the evening, giving Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ some much needed time with one another. Foal sitting was becoming a common occurrence in life.

It would be their first birthday soon, making them at least two years old, which was odd, but made sense when you thought about it. Although, not much of that trying time made sense. It was still very, very confusing.

Eight giggling trouble making foals. Twilight knew her foals were perfect, but Rainbow Dash’s foals were a hoof full of trouble.

Currently all covered in bubbles and splashing in the giant claw footed bathtub.

Trixie sat nearby, looking exhausted, but still smiling. Motherhood agreed with Trixie, foals loved her, and Trixie loved being loved. Trixie loved being the center of her foals’ world. And every other foal. Trixie was a great mother and a foalsitter as well.

Trixie even loved Quadrashy, a difficult task to do.

There was a squeak from the door as it opened, and Spike came into the bathroom.

“Twilight, we have a problem,” Spike said in a low voice, full of concern. “And visitors. Downstairs. Who need to see you right away.”


Twilight Sparkle studied her visitors carefully, full of fear and uncertainty.

“Mother and father won’t stop fighting,” said a bright orange alicorn filly.

“Father is really angry!” added a dark purple alicorn filly.

“Mother was being unreasonable…” muttered a juvenile draconequus.

Daystar, the bright orange alicorn filly, seemed awfully familiar. Indigo Skies, the dark purple alicorn filly, also seemed rather familiar. Discombobulated, the juvenile draconequus, had one tentacle that filled Twilight Sparkle with total dread.

“Mother threw father out of our home,” said Daystar. “She said she couldn’t take the chaos anymore.”

“No, father said he was leaving to find his own place to live,” corrected Indigo Skies. “He grew tired of mother’s constant need to control everything.”

“Father went and created his own pocket plane and calls it Hell,” Discombobulated added. “I’ve been there, it is nice.”

“No, Hell is a horrible place. It smells awful!” protested Daystar.

“Mother is missing!” Indigo Skies cried.

“Daystar, your constant bickering drove mother away,” muttered Discombobulated.

“I never fight with anypony!” protested Daystar.

“Yes you do,” argued Indigo Skies.

“No I do not! And how dare you say otherwise!” shouted Daystar.

“ENOUGH!” Twilight Sparkle commanded. “I AM YOUR GRANDMOTHER AND YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME!”

Twilight Sparkle’s grandfoals cowered before her, Discombobulated’s tentacle writhing into a knot, hiding himself behind his sisters.

“What happened?” Twilight asked. “Calmly. No fighting, Indigo Skies, you may speak.”

Indigo Skies stuck her tongue out at Daystar and turned back to Twilight Sparkle. “Father left our home, created his own home where mother couldn’t go, mother is now gone and nopony can find her, and all of our little ponies have separated into tribes and will not stop fighting. Discombobulated keeps trying to get them to see reason, but it seems that everything he does just makes the problems worse, the fighting is getting really bad.”

“I just don’t know what goes wrong,” Discombobulated said sadly. “I tried to get the pegasi to recognise the magical prowess of the unicorns and now they’ve gone to war, and the poor earth ponies are caught in the middle.”

“Discombobulated brought us here with his magic because father told him you might help us. Discombobulated can do magic that we cannot. And he’s a brat!” shouted Daystar.

“Am not!” Discombobulated retorted. “The spoiled little sun princess in the royal pain!”

“I am not a pain!” Daystar shrieked. “Indigo is the pain!”

“You take that back you pain in the plot, Indigo is the best sister you could ask for!” growled Discombobulated. “You are a rotten little dessert thief! Cake stealer!”

“STOP!” Twilight Sparkle shouted. “Stop fighting or I WILL STAND YOU IN THE CORNER!”

“They started it,” Daystar whined. “They’re horrible siblings! Both of them are monsters. Always getting me in trouble and I never actually do anything wrong!”

“THAT’S IT!” Twilight Sparkle teleported Daystar into the corner and held her in place with magic, the corner of Twilight’s eye twitching alarmingly.

Twilight felt Trixie brush up against her and heaved a sigh of relief. Trixie made everything better, made life bearable.

“Foals are upstairs, being read to by Spike,” said Trixie. “Trixie has heard much of what has been said down here.”

Twilight struggled to come to terms with standing an alicorn in the corner. Her brain recoiled. And a little sun princess no less.

“Discombobulated is a good brother,” Indigo said, glaring at her sister’s backside in the corner. “He means well, but things always seem to go wrong for him. I feel so bad for him sometimes. And Daystar teases him all the time and leaves him feeling insecure and afraid. She’s mean!”

Daystar mumbled in the corner, but found that she could not speak.

“Discombobulated can’t help that he’s accidentally caused a war among our little ponies and made all the dragons into arrogant bullies,” Indigo continued. “Discombobulated is sweet and kind, and I cannot figure out why everything keeps going wrong. And now, mother is gone and father has left, and our entire world is falling apart, and I don’t know how to fix it,” Indigo sobbed, now breaking into tears.

Discombobulated wrapped a tentacle and a dragon foreleg around his sister and hugged her, pulling her close, placing her head against his chest.

“Daystar makes me so angry sometimes that my magic goes funny and bad things happen,” Discombobulated said.

“It is late,” said Twilight. “I am going to put all of you to bed, and then we will figure out what to do tomorrow. As a family.”

“Can I have a snack before bed?” asked Discombobulated.

“Yes, you and Indigo can have a snack.” answered Twilight. “But foals in the corner get to go to bed without a snack. Tomorrow, I will get your grandfather Discord and we will try to sort this all out. Maybe we can find a way to fix things and bring your parents back together again.”

Where are Discord, Celestia, and Luna’s parents? Twilight thought to herself. How come they didn’t seem to have any memory of being siblings? Were they actually siblings? What happened? So many things don’t make sense!

“Trixie is thinking what you are thinking Sparkle,” Trixie whispered.

Ahead of them was a mystery…

Author's Note:

Hey, this seems kinda familiar...

Comments ( 111 )

Hm... Consequences, consequences...

*attempts to sneak a thumbs-up to replace my thumbs-down*

Very good story. Eagerly awaiting sequel.

a hint of a trilogy perhaps?

Y-yeah, this TOTALLY isn't the story of how Equestria made itself or anything... Totally. :trixieshiftright:

Does... does this mean there will be a sequel? Because it feels like the setup for a sequel.:trixieshiftright:

I... huh... wha... buh... my brain!

Well, this is interesting. Either history is repeating itself, or Twilight just discovered a time loop. In either case, I hope you continue this tale in another story.

4284044

The reproductive cycle must continue.

Hey, it looks like there'll be a sequel! Yay! :D

4284048 ... Oh dang. ... I'm past ranting, but... why can't they resist the natural compulsion to eat each other, anyway? They're creatures of chaos and disorder... I would have thought they could give that biological programming the middle finger?

4284085

Eating your baby brother is chaotic. :rainbowlaugh:

4284095 :rainbowkiss: Going against the natural order of one's species is even more so!

4284102

Okay then, so, they stop breeding, ignoring their natural urges, and reality dies.

Done. Quadrillions now die due to your logic.

4284113 lol. I didn't say breeding, just eating. Also, immortal. Oh, economic collapse...

sequel? where they learn about the immortals families?

And the cycle continues.

NEXT TIME IN: Twilight and the very confusing family?

“Mother threw father out of our home,” said Daystar. “She said she couldn’t take the chaos anymore.”
“No, father said he was leaving to find his own place to live,” corrected Indigo Skies. “He grew tired of mother’s constant need to control everything.”
“Father went and created his own pocket plane and calls it Hell,” Discombobulated added. “I’ve been there, it is nice.”
“No, Hell is a horrible place. It smells awful!” protested Daystar.

This bit here is my favorite part of the chapter.

4284048

The Spice must flow.

4284899

Also sort of explains Equestria. Fausticorn must have created an afterlife plane-equivalent of Heaven that can only be reached after one's passed on. Her husband must have created Tartarus. Celestia, Luna, and Discord got abandoned to try and run the world themselves, and were really bratty as kids.

Discombobulated....that's a fun word...Diiiiiissscomboooobulaaateeeed. Discoooooombobuuuuulaaaaaaaatted.

4284085

The result could be bad.

In my Star Trek headcanon (developed approx 20 years ago, so no overlap with kudzuhaiku's ideas), the children of the Q would naturally attempt to do this to each other. (They're energy beings, made of thought, so there wasn't any gore involved and it was obvious that what they were doing was absorbing the knowledge and abilities of the weaker ones.) The one played by John de Lancie, who is more or less the character who inspired the creation of Discord, was sufficiently chaotic and rebellious to say "no, fuck you, I don't want anyone else's memories and personality influencing me so I'm not going to absorb anyone else." And he protected another child, because she was interesting and he liked her and he didn't want her to be anyone different.

The problem was that she was an entity who should have been absorbed. Her whole personality was about her hunger for love and connection and completion. She desperately wanted to lose herself in another being. And her best buddy wouldn't let her, because he found the concept utterly horrifying. Fast forward a few million years, and she snapped under the pressure, and ended up trying to rip him to shreds for standing between her and a mortal she wanted to make into a Q (who she would almost have certainly absorbed the moment he became one.) He's also himself kind of broken, in some of the same ways Discord is, though not badly enough to be inviable... but he's an immortal, superintelligent, omnipotent entity whose boredom keeps leading him to almost get himself killed in various ways, such as pissing off the other Q enough to get him thrown out of the Continuum, starting fights with creatures of his own power class, stirring up mortal hornet nests and getting stung, starting a civil war in the Continuum... He might have been happier and healthier if he had absorbed some other Q rather than insisting that he wanted to remain his imperfect, incomplete self for the rest of eternity because fuck you all, I'm me and that's all I want to be.

If a species is designed to weed out weaknesses and consolidate experience into a single entity, it might actually be a really bad idea for one of them to not do that. Because these things have to be strong enough to survive immortality, mentally. Being an incomplete, unfulfilled piece of a draconequus because you never devoured another and were never yourself devoured could result in a really really dangerously broken creature a few million years down the road.

That being said, the whole thing seems designed to screw over the lone draconequui like Discord and Discombobulated. The draconequui from the multi-draconequus universes are total assholes, but they're total assholes accompanied by other total assholes so they probably have no clue what kind of assholes they are, and are perfectly happy being assholes. The draconequui like Frank N. Furter are very much complete unto themselves, so when Harmony pisses them off completely they have the option of stomping off and saying "Screw you, I'm making my own chaos dimension and I'll be happy living there." But Discord, and presumably Discombobulated, are not surrounded by other draconequui and they aren't made of multiple draconequui, so they are isolates, alone, not complete unto themselves and not surrounded by similar companions. Their whole role in life is to stir up shit and be kind of disliked by everyone around them, and they're incomplete precisely so that their desperate craving for attention will keep them from stomping off to make their own chaos dimension, because it's their job to make chaos in the ordered reality... where everyone's going to hate them for it.

I mean that sucks. That's like being the child of Omelas. The happiness and stability of an entire universe depends on you being alone, desperate for attention, obsessed with something no one else likes, and as a result you're doomed to a lonely, unhappy, eternal life because that's what keeps existence going. Dear god, it's a good thing Discord finds it so easy to laugh at existence and keep himself entertained, because I cannot imagine how horribly such an existence would crush anyone without Pinkie Pie levels of "I'll ignore all evidence of everything sucking so I can pretend the world is full of laughter and fun!"

4285730

Oh god, now I have ideas for fanfic of fanfic... what if one of the little draconequui had, in fact, opted out, and went into deep deep hiding because he didn't want to either eat his brothers or get eaten? I mean there were thousands of them, Frank N. Furter could easily have missed one. They are the power of transformation and mutation incarnate, the notion that a mutant could have been born who didn't want to participate in the feeding frenzy is not implausible. In which case the little critter is probably still in hiding because there's still a giant adult draconequus in this universe who he would naturally be terrified of... but Discord has no impulse to eat the baby draconequui. If Quadrashy found the little guy and were taking care of him because they miss their brother (being Fluttershy, they are almost certainly mushy enough that "it was the great cycle of life" is not an explanation that makes them get over it), their conviction that their daddy is nice and would never hurt the baby draconequus might lead them to tricking him into coming home with them to meet Discord... at which point Discord would not eat the kid, but would undoubtedly perform the Discord equivalent of glomping him and declaring that he will hug him and love him and pet him and call him George.

4285772 ... DO EET!!! :rainbowkiss:

4285772
4285795

I'd totally allow it. :yay:

4285772 for bonus points, it's either Celestia's or Cadance's spawn.

4286068

One of Luna's might be better. Somepony had to leave behind the flood of chocolate milk in the castle...

4286075 Celestia lives in the castle, too... :fluttercry:

4286088

Zecora and Iron Will's draconequus, who speaks in rhymes.

"Oh my gosh, I'm in so much trouble, I shall hide, and the chaos doubled!"

4286068

Cadance's, because then it's also Twilight's nephew, which is more interesting than merely being the son of one of the Princesses.

4286097 ... So long as he looks more like papa Zecora. :rainbowlaugh:

"Eat or be eaten, from tail to nose? Screw destiny, I say! That blows!"

4286108 pink with a blue mane, and a bear's paw in place of where, say, on Discord there would be an eagle claw.

4286124

What about a lobster claw? :derpytongue2:

4286134 that would replace the lion paw. XD. Or he wouldn't care because he's a shape-shifter! Heck, he could even become Eris 2.0! ... And because he'd be little, he would NOT have the developed hormones to cause another planet-wide frenzy!

4286134 lol. No comment to that?

4286248

I was editing something.

**shrugs**

I dunno, I think a juvinile draconequus spawn that hangs out with the CMC would be adorkable. :unsuresweetie::scootangel::applecry:

4286277 lol. Hm...

"Oh, I'm Diamond Tiara! My daddy is rich and you're all just a bunch of stuuuuuuuupid blank flanks," our little Draconeques of shifting shape let out in mocking, currently in what it's (her) adopted father called "The Eris Look".

4285772

... at which point Discord would not eat the kid, but would undoubtedly perform the Discord equivalent of glomping him and declaring that he will hug him and love him and pet him and call him George

.

Georgette... XD

4286161

I assumed that biologically he'd have to be male because apparently draconequui are male and alicorns are female (within the parameters of they are shapeshifters and can alter this if they feel like it), but if in addition to being unwilling to eat or be eaten our baby draconequus is also transgendered, then it wouldn't matter that she had biologically originated as a male, because being a shapeshifter she could take female form and stay in it forever.

A transgendered mutant draconequus does sound appropriately chaotic. :-)

Are you....
Are you WORLD BUILDING?
No.
No no no no no.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no, a thousand times,
NO.

You know what? You are truly destined for Pony Hell. Nothing can save you from the fires. No amount of atonement, no amount of begging can make you worthy of any redemption at this point. You are going to Pony Hell and that is that.


.....So... You might as well finish the story off at this point....

4287158 plus, it helps in case, right? After all, they are supposed to be male. A female one? Hm... Must not be one of theirs. XD

s1

4286277
Is shinning Armor stuck as a mare and Princess Cadance as a stallion permanently?

s1

4285772 4286097 4286116
I would love to see that.:rainbowlaugh:

I am again rather delighted by the way this all works out. You portray the "order and disorder as chaos" theme very well indeed; trouble, resolution, dissolution, and new beginnings all tied together. I do so prefer "and the adventure continues" to "happily ever after".

While I'm sure others have asked and I've simply missed the relevant replies, do you think you'll revisit this with a sequel sometime?

4301796

Upgrade from Doozy.

I am lost. I cannot brain, I has the dumb, I cannot keep up with the current editing.

4301711

and then immediately felt embarrassed about and tried to apologise

1. And the immediately felt embarrassed about it.

Having some trouble here, I think my blood sugar is low.

What am I looking at? Where is it? When I try to load the text into the find box, it returns nothing.

Where they actually siblings

1. Were.

Login or register to comment