• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 3,010 Views, 274 Comments

MLDC Next Generation: Love Conquers All! Avarice Takes It All! - Michael_Ravencroft



Anthea, a kind and loving mare, must take up the power of the Star Sapphires if she is to bring back her friend from a path of a criminal. Meanwhile, Nidra will learn avarice's might when she sets her sights on a dragon-pony who has stolen her h

  • ...
4
 274
 3,010

You're still weak / I am stronger

The minotaurs collected those who had fallen during the battle, and so too did the Royal Guards. The body of Prince Steel was collected with them, the minotaurs offering an ancient prayer to their fallen, that they might find peace amongst the great halls of warriors past. The Royal Guard however were still on edge, although the griffon forces were decimated, and the Diamond Dog armies slaughtered, they weren’t completely safe, as far as they were concerned anyway.

Starburst, the daughter of High Princess Twilight and High Prince Flash, had returned to save their lives from the hordes, and with an impressive display of power and fighting skill. Still, this was the mare who had gone rogue and turned her back on the Royal Guard she looked up to, and the family that raised and loved her. She was the one who wielded a ring that had the power to raze a city to the ground with little effort, and it fed on an emotion, fear.

Even so, they took solace in one fact, the fact that Anthea, another ring wielder, was among them. She had proven to the Royal Guards and the minotaurs that her power would be used to defend them, and had fought to protect the Princess more than once. If anypony could match Starburst’s fear power, it was Anthea’s love power, not to mention that the young mare was also the High Princess’ pupil.

The rest of the crew of the fallen Avalon were busy checking out something that Starburst had brought them, an airship. From what they were able to tell it came directly from Saddle Arabia, and was one of their warships.

It wasn’t nearly as massive as the Avalon was, but it would at least fit everypony long enough for them to get to the Equestrian territory, and finally catch a break for once. During this time, Annie, Twilight, Star, Amber, Hot Head, and Lucky were standing away from other ponies and minotaurs, having a private chat with each other.

Star looked upon Annie’s friends, seeing their customized armor and giving them an approving nod. “Those the new armor the Royal Guard is issuing?”
Hot Head snorted. “Actually no, they’re ours. Prototype weaponized armor, courtesy of High Princess Twilight.”

Starburst raised an eyebrow at that. “You made those Mom?”

Twilight blushed slightly. “Y-Yes I did. I reversed engineered the magical and mechanical properties of Steel Wing’s armor ability, and I was able to create these different armor types for three different types of pony tribes. They’re experimental prototypes, but Amber, Hot Head, and Lucky volunteered to use them.”

Starburst took another look at the armor covering their bodies, it did seem stronger, and it hummed with power. “Well, nice to see you stepped up some things while I was away.” She then turned to Annie, glancing up and down at her uniform. “And…Annie, that outfit’s a bit suggestive for combat, don’t you think?”

Anthea took a moment to look herself over and giggled a little. “Yeah, I guess it is, but it’s comfortable. And T doesn’t seem to mind it.”

Star rolled her eyes getting the double meaning.

“You have a scar,” said Annie.

Star glanced at her left cheek, seeing the aforementioned scar. “Yeah, I got it during a battle a couple of weeks ago. Didn’t want to waste energy healing it so I just left it – wait a minute how could you tell?”

Annie raised her right hoof up, showing Star her Star Sapphire ring. “I have a ring now too Star, and it gave me the ability to see clearly. I can see you now, completely.”

The pegasus mare’s eyes went wide with surprise, a small smile creeping onto her intense visage. “Annie that’s great! You can see now, I mean, you could see colors before, but now you can actually see me?!”

“Yeah, I can!” Annie answered happily.

The pegasus mare got closer to Annie and hugged her, genuinely happy that her friend had been given the gift of sight, something that had eluded her since her birth.

“I have to say Star, you’re not really what I thought you’d look like.”

Star stepped back and looked at her quizzically. “How so?”

“Well, everypony said you were short, but you’re really not that short. And while you do look intense, you’re also pretty, like a majestic bird of prey or something. And your wings!” Annie went to stretch the wing, making it fan out to its full length. “When I saw them they looked like orange-yellow splotches, but now that I can see them, they look beautiful!”

Starburst was starting to blush from the attention to detail from Annie. “T-Thanks, and I mean it, I really am happy that you can see.” She then turned to her mother, a slight scowl forming on her face as she did. “See Mom, these rings may be powerful and dangerous, but they can also bring good things!”

Twilight hung her head low in shame. “I know Star…I know you’re not under the control of the ring…I know these rings are powered by certain strong emotions, and…I’m so sorry for everything.”

“How do you know?” Star asked.

“Because my ring showed her Star, I know about the Star Sapphires, how my ring is powered by love. I also know about the Sinestro Corps, and that you’re ring is fueled by fear. I know about the different Corps and lights. The Princess knows now that you’re ring wasn’t corrupting you, even though it was made by someone who was.”

Starburst scoffed. “Well, your ring needs an update. Mine’s different, the Sinestro Corps is gone, and the new Corps calls itself the Fear Lanterns. These rings don’t just seek out the ability to instill fear, but as secondary condition, the bearer must have a strong sense of justice. Sinestro realized what he did, and this is his atonement. Right partner?”

[Affirmative.]

“So how did you know we here Star, communications are scrambled around here?” Twilight asked.

“I was already in the neighborhood, I was on the front lines helping the Saddle Arabians push the griffons back. We gained ground and now they’re holding it. My ring was able to pick up some strange transmissions, detecting two rings entering Equus’ atmosphere.”

“Two rings?” Amber asked.

“Yeah, one of which is Annie’s. The other, I don’t know. I was listening to radio transmissions to see where I could better help and I picked up your ship’s message about being shot down. I…‘borrowed’ one of the Saddle Arabian ships and towed it here. But then I started picking up enemy transmissions further into the canyon. When I saw the explosions, well, you guys know the rest.”

Annie put a hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “I’m just glad you’re safe, now we can all go home.”

Starburst lowered her gaze. “Sorry Annie, I still have work to do out here.”

Twilight stepped forward. “What do you mean you ‘still have work to do’?!”

“The front lines need me to keep the griffons at bay. I can’t get to everypony, but as long as I’m out there they can’t advance much further. So I can’t come back, and besides, pretty sure that I’m still a wanted fugitive back home.”

“Star I can have that taken care of! With the evidence I have now about the rings I can prove that you weren’t under some malign control, and that you’re not dangerous! Please honey, everypony misses you! You’re father, brother, and me, we all do!” Twilight pleaded.

Starburst narrowed her gaze a little. “You figure that all now, when you should’ve trusted me, believed in me, at least half a year ago! I saved your life Mom, and Valiant’s! I will never forgive myself for killing those Guards who were under Pinpoint’s control, but neither will I forgive those ponies who killed Sunny Skies!

She only wanted to help me, to see Equestria safe! And in the end she gave her life for me! I have to keep fighting, if not for the ponies who need me, then for her! I owe her my life, and I’m going to make good use of it, but all that wouldn’t have happened if you and Lance believed in me, just some trust was all I wanted and maybe a thank you!”

Starburst saw tears in her mother’s eyes, she averted her gaze turning around and shrugging off Annie’s hoof.

“Forget it…take the ship and get back home. Annie, you have a choice to make.”

“What choice is that?” Annie asked.

“You have a duty now to protect Equestria, by wearing that ring and using its power. Come with me, two ring wielders will pretty much guarantee that the Griffon Empire can’t advance, we’ll push the armies back and turn the tide!” Star stretched out her right hoof towards Annie. “Will you come with me?”

Amber was the first to break away from the group and put herself between Annie and Starburst, the older mare looking down at Starburst. “She’s not going anywhere Starburst.”

“I think that’s her decision, and besides that, it’s her duty.”

“No, her duty is to her friends and family, she’s not going off with you to fight in one battle after the other! Royal Guards have a duty to do just that, to protect the citizens and defend the nation, not Anthea!” Amber argued.

Starburst flared her wings and glared directly up at Amber. “The moment the ring chose her was the moment it became her duty! To not use its power to defend our home and people is a waste! She might as well not have it all!”

“You cocky little –!”

“STOP!!!”

Annie released a wave of her calming magic, easing the tension back down to a slow simmer. She then looked to Starburst, bidding Amber to move away. “Star, I will protect Equestria, our friends, and our family. But not like you do. There has to be a better way than this I know it.

My ring lets me see and feel love Star, and every griffon, no matter how vile and cruel they are on the battlefield, they all have someone waiting for them back home, someone who loves them dearly, asister, a mother, father, brother, lover, so many.”

Star looked to Annie incredulous. “And what about our people Annie, what about all the families, loved ones, and friends that are never going to see those who died senselessly at the talons of griffons?! I’ve seen what they do to those who they capture, because I’ve freed them! They torture soldiers, and murder mares and foals, and if, if they’re lucky, they just become slaves! Anyone who can turn their back on the atrocities of what their ‘loved one’ has done as if it were meaningless will get no sympathy from me, or mercy.”

Annie narrowed her eyes, actually looking quite angry. “And then where will it end Star?! Will it end when every griffon is dead?! When everypony in Equestria is dead?! Because that’s how it will keep going, they kill some of us, so we kill them in retaliation, and then they kill more of us because we retaliated.

It’s an endless cycle, and that’s why we need to try a different way. I think…I think that’s what this ring chose me for, to bring peace and love, not fear and hate! And because of that, step one is bringing back somepony who’s my friend and is missed by many.”

Starburst had to admit, Annie was kind of cool when she showed her convictions so strongly and with such heart.

“Well…you do what you want, but I’m not coming back. Not until this war is over.” Starburst turned away was making ready to leave.

“So you’re just going to turn your back on us again? You’re going to turn your back on Del too?” Annie asked.

Starburst froze where she stood.

“He’s the one most worried about you Star! He loves you, and don’t lie to me saying that you don’t. Because my ring can sense it, you still do! Api gets in fights at school because she defends your name! Del just trudges around the farm because every day he’s worried that you’re not coming back! And if you need more proof of that then here!”

Annie used her ring to punch a hole in space, out of the hole floated her violet lantern, and tied around the handlebar was Del’s bandanna. Starburst turned around and stared wide eyed at the garment tied around the lantern.

“Is…is that…?”

“Del’s bandanna, he wanted me to give it to you if I managed to find you. You know how important this is to him, it was made from a blanket that he loved as a foal, the same way you hold onto that ribbon. Are you really going to stand there and tell me you’re going to keep him suffering longer?”

Annie used her telekinetic aura to float the bandanna to Star. She held out her hoof and took the red cloth, holding it as if it were the most fragile thing in the world. Star looked to her mother, there was a slightly shocked expression on her face, apparently she did not know of her affections for one of her best friend’s kids.

“Cat’s out of the bag Mom. So, do you approve? I know Del’s older than me, a bit older, but it’s like Annie said.”

Twilight shook her head for a moment as she regained her composure. “I…I had no idea. Star, my daughter, has a coltfriend and it’s Applejack’s son…Of course I approve, your Aunt Cadance rubbed off on me a while back. Who you choose to love is your business Star, heck, you could’ve fallen for a mare and as long as you’re happy I would be too.”

Hot Head snickered at the thought of Starburst with a mare, but not altogether rejecting that she would. Lucky elbowed him and shushed him before she noticed. Starburst was blushing a little, yet she maintained her stoic and intense expression.

“Thanks…at least you trust me enough to love who I want. And Annie, tell Del that I’ll come back soon. Not now…but someday soon.”

Starburst concentrated and had her ring bust open a hole in space, from it floated a yellow lantern. When the lantern stopped before her, she tied the bandanna around its handle, right next to her pink ribbon, keeping it secure.

“Goodbye…”

The lantern and Starburst began to rise into the air as her aura wrapped around her. Annie watched as her friend began to depart, memories of that night half a year ago resurfaced and made Annie clench her jaw. She then placed her ring to the port opening of her lantern, igniting the energy within it.

For hearts long lost and full of fright,
For those alone in Blackest Night!
Accept this ring and join our fight,
Love conquers all with violet light!

The ring shined forth with renewed power, covering Anthea in an aura of violet-pink light that lapped off her body in the form of flower petals.

[Power levels at 100%.]

Annie stood on her hind legs, a long rope started to form from her ring, with the end changing into a lasso. The Star Sapphire whipped her right foreleg back and lashed out with the lasso, the violet construct sped off towards Star, and like a snake, coiled around her left hind leg. The construct rope became taut as Annie pulled back, halting Starburst’s ascent. The navy maned pegasus mare turned around and looked down to see what was keeping her from moving, she was surprised to see that it was Annie.

“Last time Star, you said I couldn’t stop you from leaving. I’m not powerless and I’m not helpless, I have the power and the strength, and I’m bringing you back home with us! Kicking and screaming if I have to!” Annie proclaimed.

Starburst wore a neutral expression. “Be very sure you want to do that Annie.”

“Do I look unsure to you Star?!”

The Fear Lantern smirked. “Humph, I like that look in your eyes Annie. But we’re in two very different leagues, you can’t keep me here.”

“Watch me!”

Annie changed the lasso into a heavy chains that clinked and clattered. She fired an anchor construct to the ground and created another lasso that snaked onto Star’s other hind leg. It quickly transformed into the same kind of heavy chains and anchored themselves into the ground as well.

Starburst was essentially floating in midair, kept there by two violet construct chains that had a tensile strength like nothing on Equus. The light-orange mare had the yellow lantern float next to her, she then put her ring in the open port and the light from the lantern shined bright upon them all.

In twilight’s dusk, in moonlit night,
Evil shall cower before my might!
When darkness comes to cloud my sight,
I’ll shine like my power – Fear Lantern’s light!


Suddenly, Starburst’s body was wrapped in a powerful golden aura. The chains binding her hind legs had fissures of yellow light appear on them, and in the next instant, the chains shattered apart as if made of fragile glass. Both mares stared each other down, Star’s eyes taking on a glimmer of the golden fear light, while Annie’s glimmered with the violet love light, their auras flaring as if the lights themselves were challenging each other.

[Power levels at 100%.]

“If this is how you want to do it Anthea, then come on. Make me stay!”

Annie thrust her ring forward and fired a beam of violet-pink light that roared towards Star. The beam stopped just a couple of feet from Star and wrapped around her, encasing her in a bubble of light. Star countered, creating a katana and slashing at the sphere, slicing it open and flying out of it.

Starburst summoned large four javelins and hurled them at Anthea. They struck the earth, forming a square around Annie; the four javelins then transformed into a large tower cage, locking Annie within it.

“Annie!” Amber cried out.

“Dammit! Let her go Starburst!” Hot Head warned.

Lucky prepared to use his augmented powers to destroy the tower. But suddenly the tower started to fissure with violet cracks all up and down its structure. Starburst raised an eyebrow, watching as her tower quickly burst apart, the yellow construct shattering before the light of Love, and Anthea at its center.

“Lucky, Amber, Hot Head, Princess, everypony, stay out of this!” Annie ordered.

“Annie –!” Twilight began.

“I mean it!” she interrupted.

Twilight went silent, along with the Royal Guard, and the Troublemakers trio. Annie looked up and saw Star smirking impressively at her display. The Star Sapphire broke into a gallop, heading right for the canyon wall. Her ring shined and at the moment Annie jumped up, a wave of star sapphire crystals formed below her, catching her as her hooves connected to the shimmering crystal wave. Annie rode the wave up the side of the wall, bringing her almost near Star’s altitude.

Annie launched a barrage of dove constructs at Star, about five dozen of them, all flocking towards the Fear Lantern as streaks of violet-pink. Starburst retreated a bit and launched her own construct barrage. The yellow light took the form of hawks, five dozen to match Annie’s.

The hawks and doves battled it out in the air space between Annie and Star. Yellow hawk constructs exploded, along with violet dove constructs, each one destroying each other in midair. The doves were ganged up on by the hawks. The tiny birds unleashing beams of violet-pink energy to keep them at bay, but the hawks blasted the doves by releasing their feathers as yellow energy darts at them.

Multiple explosions went off in the air as the ponies and minotaurs below watched the spectacle, this duel between Love and Fear. Annie concentrated, making the crystals extend forward into a platform for her to stand on.

“I’m not going home without you Star!” Annie shouted.

“And like I said Annie, my work isn’t done! So long as the war continues, my power is needed to keep Equestria safe! You have that same power! You should know as well as I do why I need to do this!”

“I do understand! But you can’t just keep doing things on your own Star! Now for the last time, just come back with us!”

Starburst’s aura flared. “Like I said…make me!”

Annie scowled, she then thrust her right hoof into the air. A beam of violet-pink energy fired up into the sky, going higher and higher. The beam was cut off from the ring, but high above a violet star shined. The star shot back down, appearing before Annie in the form of a giant dragon.

The dragon had large wings, its scales were long, and making it look like the dragon had feathered wings. Its body was streamed lined, with violet crystals for its twin horns and spines, and diamond shaped spiked tail, talons, and claws. The dragon opened its shimmering eyes and released a powerful roar that reverberated through the canyon.

“Nice construct. Let’s make this fun!”

Starburst mimicked Annie’s actions, firing a beam of light right into the sky. A yellow star formed above, but a after a few moments, the star fell down from the heavens and appeared before Starburst. She too summoned a dragon, formed of yellow light. It had giant, membrane wings, with large spikes poking out from the bends and at the tips of the wings. Its neck was long, jagged spikes coming out of its head and on the side of its face.

The creatures muzzle opened wider than what a normal dragon should be capable of. Long fifty foot spikes protruded out of its forearms like blades. Its chest was like that of a normal dragon’s, but going lower, it turned into the trunk of a serpentine like shape, coiling all the way down as jagged spikes lined up as spines. It was truly a nightmarish dragon, a stark contrast to Anthea’s.

The two dragons squared off, roaring at each other. Both Annie and Star’s rings shined bright, their commands transmitted through their otherworldly weapons. The Love Dragon sucked in and bellowed forth a searing stream of violet-pink flames.

The Fear Dragon used its wings to cover its front, using them as a makeshift shield against the attack. The flames washed over the Fear Dragon, but that wasn’t the only thing in the flames. Within it were hundreds of thousands of sharpened crystal shrapnel, bombarding the wings and threatening to tear into it.

The Fear Dragon slammed its long tail onto the ground, propelling itself into the air. The Love Dragon ceased its attack and flapped its wings, taking off after the yellow construct. The two beasts of violet and yellow went up high, their creators watching their battle unfold as their wills pushed them to do battle.

The Fear Dragon lashed out with its tail, using the jagged spikes like a saw. The strike landed against the Love Dragon’s face, cutting it and making a gash of yellow light appear. The Love Dragon struck back, using its crystal claws to slash at the Fear Dragon’s chest. The claws dug into it, creating four long, violet marks. The beast hissed from the pain but continued its assault, opening its mouth really wide and blasting its polar opposite with an inferno of golden fire.

The Love Dragon unleashed its own inferno, both attacks striking each other in midair. The powers of Love and Fear, swirled about, grinding and lashing out at each other, both crying out their inability to acknowledge the others existence, two dragons glaring down the other beast.

Starburst was watching the battle, directing her dragon mentally, but at the last second she sensed movement from Anthea. Ten chains lashed out at her like angry cobras. Star created two katanas and danced in the air, slashing at the chains with her blades and smashing each one. But for every one she destroyed, another came careening towards her. Star glanced and saw Annie pointing her ring at her, the never-ending chains spouting from its violet brilliance.

Star danced around the chains, gracefully dodging one after the other, slicing them their links with no wasted energy on her part. She was impressed, even though their dragons were battling it out in the sky above them Anthea could still concentrate enough to produce more constructs to come after her.

Suddenly two large objects fell from the sky, plummeting right between the dueling Lanterns. The objects landed with a great “BOOM”, kicking up a dust cloud that obscured their vision. Within a couple of seconds the dust was blown away, showing the Love Dragon on top of the Fear Dragon, pinning it down to the ground.

Anthea fired missiles of star sapphire crystal at Starburst. The Fear Lantern readied herself for the attack, but the missiles just went past her. “Your vision getting bad Annie? You just missed me by a mile!”

“Wasn’t aiming for you!”

The missiles struck the other side of the canyon wall, coalescing into a crystal orb that reached out and swallowed Starburst.

[Crystal Stasis: Activated.]

Good thing I remembered that. This’ll keep Star docile and calm her down until –

[Warning: Crystal Stasis unstable!]

Annie watched as the cocoon glowed with a golden yellow light. The light burned brighter and brighter from within, until, the crystal fractured and burst apart in a shower of crystal shards. Starburst glared at Annie, her eyes taking on the glow of her ring.

“You can’t beat me Anthea.”

“A little early to be saying that Star.”

“No, because you don’t have what it takes.”

“What?!”

“……Resolve.”

Suddenly the Love Dragon let out a pain-filled roar. Everyone watched as the Fear Dragon stabbed the Love Dragon in its right shoulder with its left forearm spike, driving deep into its construct body and forcing it back. Then used its tail to wrap around its legs and pull them out from under the Love Dragon. The yellow construct then slammed the other dragon against the canyon wall, stabbing it in both shoulders all the way through, pinning it. The Fear Dragon, in the most brutal fashion, bit down on the Love Dragon’s neck and ripped its head off in one swift motion, tossing the severed head into the air as it roared victoriously.

Annie watched in horror as her construct was torn apart and disintegrated into particles of light. Star then fired a column-sized beam of yellow light at Anthea, the Star Sapphire created a barrier around herself in an effort to defend. The blast slammed against the barrier, picking up the bubble of light and hurling it into the side of the canyon with great force.

“I feel the fear Annie! The fear of my Mom from seeing me like this and the fear of the torture she suffered at the claws of the griffons!”

Twilight looked away with some tears in her eyes.

“I feel the fear from your friends, how they can only stand there helplessly and watch this battle, and how they might lose you to my hooves!”

Amber bit her lower lip, Lucky narrowed his gaze, and Hot Head gritted his teeth.

“I feel the fear of every Royal Guard down there, how they think I’m going to kill them all!”

The Guards entered defensive stances.

“All that fear, all that terror, I feel it, I become it, I wield it!”

Starburst flared her wings as her aura blazed around her, the ring doubled the size of the beam. The blast washed over Annie’s barrier, burning through solid rock and continuing to cut through all the mountains behind it. Starburst cut off the beam attack, seeing how Annie’s barrier had fallen now.

Annie looked down and saw that there was no longer a platform and suddenly her heart was gripped with fear at seeing the long way down. Suddenly a yellow construct claw shot out and grabbed Anthea, the Star Sapphire’s aura field quickly activated, covering her body. Starburst then raised her hoof up and slammed Anthea right down to terra firma with a powerful impact that shook the ground a little. A small plume of dust hung over the crater, the yellow construct still active.

Starburst flew down to the crater, flapping her wings to clear the air. Annie was on her back, groaning, and probably in a little pain from the harsh throw down, but otherwise she looked alright. Starburst created yellow chains that anchored themselves to the ground, wrapping around Annie’s body. Annie looked to Starburst with shock as she stood over her, looking down at the unicorn mare with cold eyes.

“I also feel your fear Annie. You’re afraid of heights, you could’ve battled me in the air. Your ring has the same power to make you fly. If you did that, the fight would’ve gone on, but you allowed me to get the upper hoof. And…” Starburst leaned down till her face was inches away from Annie. “…you’re afraid of hurting me.”
Annie glared back angrily. “You’re my friend, of course I am! Are you saying you’re not?!”

“……I don’t want to, but if you keep fighting me I’ll have no choice. It’s over Annie.”

Starburst dispelled the chains as she stepped away from Anthea, turning her back to prepare to leave. Annie still didn’t want to give up, her ring shining a bit in preparation. Just then two yellow sword blades appeared over her in an X pattern, their edges resting against the nape of her neck, making the unicorn mare’s eyes widen.

“This is the resolve Annie. The resolve you don’t have, despite the power you wield now. If you’re going to continue on like this, then you might as well take off that ring, sight or no sight, if you’re not ready to fight then there’s no point in wearing it.”

Star summoned her yellow lantern once again. The golden aura wrapping around the pink ribbon that was tied next to the red bandanna. She then levitated it to Annie, placing it on the ground before her.

“Take that to Del. Tell him I’ll be back to for it, and to give him back his bandanna……” Starburst looked to Annie, her eyes lowering in sadness. “Goodbye Annie.”

Starburst flew up out of the crater, the construct blades disappearing with her. She looked down and saw the worried faces of the Guard and Annie’s friends, but only two were looking up at her. Twilight, her mother, had a pleading look in her eyes, begging her not to go, and at the same time, Annie was as well, but something else was in there, doubt.

Annie still wanted to stop her, but…she couldn’t. Star just demonstrated the gap in their power, half a year fighting in countless battles had sharpened her fighting skills and her ability to wield her rings’ power. Her words resonated within Annie, cutting down to her core. She then fell onto her rear, she looked down and grasped the pink ribbon. Annie held it close to her heart as she cried, cried for her weakness, and for her inability to bring back Star after finally finding her.


Canterlot, a couple of hours later…

Nidra was no longer going to keep pining over the pony she wanted, the pony she knew in her heart she was meant to be with. Everypony, all those around her, they only pretended to understand her, their words only placating, nothing to ease the pain, the aching in her heart whenever she was around him. To look, but never touch, to talk to, but never profess, such was the mantra she had adopted for longer than she cared. Well, that would change.

The Princess of Slumber was tired of it all, she would have her true love, she would have everything that everypony desired and cared about. Like a mighty dragon, she would horde, keep all that fell within her sight, and keep everypony from the very things they loved the most. And the power she needed, the power that would grant her this was waiting for her, hidden under her bed.

“Nidra!”

The alicorn thestral stopped in her tracks, hearing the familiar voice. She turned around and scowled when she saw its owner.

“What is it Mother?!” Nidra asked.

Luna came trotting down the hall, her gaze serious. “We need to talk.”

“I’m busy Mother,” said Nidra simply.

“This is important!” Luna insisted.

“What could possibly be so –?!” Nidra turned around and saw something that nearly gave her a heart attack.

Within Luna’s aura, she held the crystal that she used to capture the orange ring, and had hid under the bed, but now that same ring was right before her.

“Where did you get that?!” Nidra shouted.

“I had heard from Turquoise Blitz of your…troubles. I went to see if you were in your room and when I entered, I found this under your bed, glowing bright. It emits a powerful aura, something similar to that of young Anthea’s ring,” said Luna.

Nidra glared her mother angrily as she flared her bat wings. “And you went and snooped in my room?! You had no right!”

“I have ‘the right’ for it is not your castle! Your privacy is a privilege, but that is not the concern right now. Why did you not tell me that you had such a ring in your possession?!”

Nidra’s eyes locked onto the ring, the aura within it started to glow a little, her eyes tinting with the same color. “Because I didn’t want you to take it from me! You already see Anthea and Starburst as dangerous for having their rings, why would I invite that scrutiny on myself?!”

Luna lowered her gaze, Nidra was right, the resception to those who have gained such rings has been less than inviting. Even Luna herself was apprehensive about Anthea’s wielding of the ring. But this ring, even within the crystalized mana, she could feel something from it. It hungered, it craved power, craved everything, like a bottomless pit that would not be satisfied otherwise. Luna had heard that Anthea’s ring was powered by love, and Starburst’s by fear, but this…she shuddered to wonder what emotion fueled this ring.

“I understand…but you should have at least come to me or your father first. I would not turn you away.”

Nidra scoffed as she slowly approached her mother. “I’m sure Star thought the same thing! She probably never imagined her family would turn against her and shun her because of the power she wielded to protect us! And what do you know about Turquoise?!”

Luna looked away for a moment. “Do not fault your cousin. Illusion means well and was concerned about you, and the way he spoke about the pain of your heart was…saddening.”

Nidra scoffed. “Oh what do you care?! You have no idea what how it feels!”

Luna rounded on her daughter with a glare. “I know exactly how it feels! To watch as other ponies revere and love another! It was the same way with your Aunt!”

“Aunty Tia?” Nidra asked incredulous.

Shame befell Luna. “Yes…I loved my sister, but…nopony, it seemed, cared to love me…not in the same way they did her! I wanted that, I wanted ponies to see the beauty in my night, but all they did was shun it! I became a monster…a Nightmare. And in the end I was banished for letting my jealousy and anger get the better of me! Now I see you making the same mistakes as I did!”

Nidra’s horn began to glow. “No Mother…I’m nothing like you…”

Suddenly a blast of mana burst before Luna, the elder alicorn mare put a barrier to protect herself from the attack by her own daughter. Luna looked at her with shock and disbelief, but then she noticed that within her yellow irises was a shade of vermillion, the same color as the ring.

“I’m not weak, I can get what I want! Love, reverence, everything you couldn’t take as Nightmare Moon!”

“Nidra!”

The alicorn thestral released more mana blasts at her mother, igniting the hallway in a flurry of crackling bursts. Luna held her barrier, watching the bolts strike against it and fizzle out. The midnight blue mare adopted a more authoritarian stance as she narrowed her gaze at her daughter.

“Nidra cease this! Your magic is not strong enough to best me, and your slumber magic has no effect on me.”

“I don’t need it! I have THAT!!!”

Suddenly the glow within the crystal flared up with orange light, the crystal began to crack and within the next second shattered to pieces. Luna was about to cast a spell upon the ring, but it zoomed away faster than she anticipated. Nidra held out her right hoof and the ring engulfed her in a sphere of vermillion light.

The within the sphere a black mesh formed over Nidra’s body, covering everything but her wings and neck. Orange boots formed over her forelegs and hind legs with jagged lines etched into them. Her body was covered in an armored vest that had the symbol of Avarice upon it, on either side were lines that formed folded bat wings, and her shoulders were protected by octagon shaped pauldrons.

When the sphere broke apart, Nidra stood there, her eyes still tinted with orange, wings flared, and a maniacal grin on her face. Her body was brimming with the power of the light of Avarice, lapping off her form and mane like flames.

[Power levels at 100,000%. About time you put me on!]

“Don’t complain, we’re one now!”

Luna shook her head in disbelief. “Nidra…what have you done.”

“What does it look like Mother? I’m an Orange Lantern!”

Nidra aimed her ring at Luna and fired a powerful blast of orange light right at her. The beam struck Luna’s shield with resounding force, making the elder alicorn mare grit her teeth and dig her hooves into the floor. The power of this ring was unlike any she had ever faced, pushing her back with each passing second. Luna’s eyes widened when she saw the shield begin to crack. At the last second Luna redirected the blast straight up, blasting a hole right in the ceiling.

The beam roared up, seen by every inhabitant of Canterlot. Luna hurriedly flew through the opening, not wanting this to continue inside the castle. The midnight alicorn floated in the air and watched as Nidra busted through the roof of the castle and met her mother in the air.

“Nidra what have you done?!” Luna shouted.

“I’ve finally gotten hold of the power I need to make Turquoise mine! I will take everything away that everypony cares about, their possessions, their loves, and if need be their very identities!”

That ring…it’s different. Young Anthea did not act like this when she wore her ring, and despite what has transpired, even Starburst did not look so…crazed!

“I do not want to fight you Nidra!”

“That’s funny Mommy, because I do!”

The Orange Lantern raised her ring into the air, at that moment bat constructs flew from her, screeching and chittering as they made their way towards Luna. The Princess of the Night took flight, releasing mana bolts at the constructs, but something was wrong. When her bolts struck the bats her mana was absorbed by them. Luna began to fly faster, watching the bats as they came together in a giant group.

Luna charged her horn and released a powerful blast of her mana right at them, bathing them in her navy blue magic. She seemed to overload the small constructs, making them shatter within an instant.

Nidra zigzagged into the air and charged straight for Luna. The elder alicorn created a spherical barrier, but the power of Nidra’s ring was too much as she crashed through it and into Luna. The mother and daughter nosedived straight down, a fierce whistling sound echoed through the air as a streak of orange continued to plummet. The two landed with a giant “BOOM” right in the middle of the gardens, sending flower petals, clumps of dirt, and leaves shooting into the air.

Nidra stood above the body of her mother as she coughed from the impact. Nidra pressed her hoof against her mother’s chest, her ring shined and suddenly cuffs latched onto Luna’s hind and forelegs, anchoring her down to the ground.

“Everypony always said that my magic was weak.”

“Nidra…”

“I hated it when they said that, looking at me as if I was less than a Princess, less of an alicorn because my magic was like that. Because I was some half breed!” Nidra leaned down and narrowed her eyes as a toothy grin spread across her face. “Let’s change that Mother, you don’t mind if I take your magic, right? Of course not!”

The orange ring shined bright, coating her horn in its greed filled light. Suddenly Luna’s horn glowed with navy blue light, that same light began floating up and right to Nidra’s horn. Luna began releasing strained chocking sounds as she felt her magic being syphoned from her being.

“Nidra…! Stop…! Please…!”

The bright light of Luna’s magic began to fade as the last drops of it were completely taken. Nidra’s horn shined bright with the mixed colors of the orange, navy blue, and powder blue energy. She never felt such power before, even with the ring was one thing, but now her magical power was far beyond that of what it usually was. This was the power of a full blooded alicorn, now nopony would call her weak!

Nidra looked down to her mother, her head was turned to the side. She released the bindings and got off of her, watching as she weakly tried to look to her daughter. “Nidra…”

“Now I’m the Princess of the Night, Mother! I have alicorn magic! And now, I will have everything!”

Nidra flew up into the sky, with her trinity of magic and ring power, took hold of the sun. It was so easy, easier than she had thought it would be. The alicorn thestral then lowered the sun, and in that same moment, raised the moon. The sun set quickly on the horizon as the moon took its place high in the sky. But the moment it stopped the moon took on a crescent form, the white purity of its face changing into a bright orange that shined down upon the land below.

To take what I want, that is my right,
I’ll steal your heart in the black of my night!
See my moon glow that is my sign,
The Night, the Stars, and the Light…ARE MINE!!!

Author's Note:

Orange Lantern oath courtesy of DarknessRising


To Be Continued...