• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 3,010 Views, 274 Comments

MLDC Next Generation: Love Conquers All! Avarice Takes It All! - Michael_Ravencroft



Anthea, a kind and loving mare, must take up the power of the Star Sapphires if she is to bring back her friend from a path of a criminal. Meanwhile, Nidra will learn avarice's might when she sets her sights on a dragon-pony who has stolen her h

  • ...
4
 274
 3,010

The Heroic End / Avarice Awakened

Annie woke up in the forelegs of Amber, despite being able to see, the formerly blind mare still felt like she needed somepony there next to her when she slept. But Amber didn’t mind, in fact, she even promised not to try anything funny while she did. Annie rolled her eyes at remembering that. Still, it was nice knowing that Amber was still Amber amidst all the turmoil. Annie gently moved her left hoof to Amber’s cheek, resting it against that spot. Through her ring, she sensed Lucky’s unrequited love, but for Amber…it was different.

She sensed love was there, she loved Hot Head and Lucky, she loved Annie as well. But she also didn’t know love. Annie could sense how deep inside Amber was searching for somepony to love her, Annie had often heard from Lucky and Hot Head about how Amber would go to some pretty wild parties and hit on stallions left and right, but of the ones she did date, they never lasted more than a couple a weeks, a month tops.

Annie closed her eyes and concentrated on Amber. Ring, show me…show me why Amber can’t find love, what’s keeping her from accepting it?

[Love’s Sight: Activated.]

Annie’s mind was aglow in violet-pink light, her heart and mind connecting to Amber’s memories. Her first stop was to her foalhood, Annie she saw Amber’s parents, the light of love was strong in both of them, and so bright within Amber, but her mother looked weak, sick even. The memories played out, showing Annie a little Amber as she played doctor with her mother, diagnosing her as best a young filly could. The memory shifted to when Amber awoke, nudging her mother awake, but her mother never stirred.

[Maternal Love: Lost…]

Oh Amber…

The memories shifted yet again, Amber was still a young filly. Her father walked beside her, both of them walking along through a town that was all too familiar to her. Annie recognized the matron of the orphanage that she and the others grew up in, Amber still held her bright smile, blissfully unaware of what was happening. The light of love was dim within her father, it wasn’t gone, but, it was just…dim.

[True Love: Lost…Paternal Love: Lost…]

From then on Annie saw the light of love within Amber go through chaotic changes, only finding solace in giving and receiving love from Hot Head, Lucky, and Annie herself during their time together. The memory of when Annie was adopted by Fluttershy appeared in her mind, showing Annie smiling as Fluttershy led her away to a new life. While oppositely, Annie saw the sad look in Amber’s eyes, feeling another sense of loss as Hot Head and Lucky comforted her the best they could.

[Sororal Love: Lost…]

I didn’t know…I didn’t know I had made her feel that sad! She’d lost her mother to death, and her father had dumped her in the orphanage…I just reopened a wound that had barely healed…

[Sororal Love: Reacquired.]

Annie was snapped back to another memory, the day that their little group was reunited once again, and how from then on the young mare continued to be a part of Amber’s heart. But that wasn’t all that Annie saw, she saw the wild parties that Amber went to when she turned fifteen, her graduation from school at a very early age, and being hired as a nurse before moving to the Royal Guard in order to keep an eye on Hot Head and Lucky. Memories of past coltfriends flashed before her eyes, showing the different flings she had with many different stallions. Some she got at parties, others were just some random ponies that she found attractive while out and about.

But even so, none of them filled the void in her heart. It was as if the only thing holding Amber up was the love of those closest to her, but her heart…her heart was closed to others who would love, her trust shaken by her father, unconsciously expecting every stallion she picked up to eventually abandon her as soon as they got what they wanted. Luckily, Amber never let it get further than a kiss and left. She hated seeing this, a giant heart formed before Annie, made of the crystal memories that the star sapphire ring made to represent how she felt, at the center was a giant hole. Despite her love for all of them, she knew not the full maternal love of her mother, her ability to open her heart fully to somepony, it ate at the center, kept away only by love of those closest to her.

I’ve seen enough…

[Very well, Annie.]

Annie was brought back to the physical plane, when she opened her eyes she felt tears streaming down them. And how could she not cry, seeing all that dwelling within the heart of a mare she saw as a big sister and even a mother figure, she was hurting. Annie unconsciously rubbed Amber’s cheek soothingly, the older mare started to shake a little, her face contorting with sadness.

“Mom…please don’t leave me…Mom…!”

“Amber…”

Annie used that same hoof to move some of Amber’s bangs away from her forehead, she then leaned forward and kissed the mare on the forehead, something that Amber herself had done for all of them many times in the past, but right now, she needed it the most. The kiss calmed the mare down, her smile returning a little as she held onto Annie tighter.

The pink unicorn mare used her aura to move Amber’s legs off her gently, when she slipped out, Annie used her ring to create a construct double of herself to replace her. She didn’t want to leave Amber alone, but she needed to see if Princess Twilight or Prince Steel needed her for anything, at the very least she needed to reinforce the sapphire barricades. Annie took one more look over her shoulder, watching as Amber held her construct double closer and the double doing the same, radiating love energy to sooth the mare in her embrace. With a nod, Annie left the room as quietly as she could.

As she went down the corridors Annie passed by many of the crew, they all nodded and said good morning to her, greeting her with smiles every which way she turned. It almost felt unfair to her, she wielded a ring almost similar to Starburst’s and yet Star was still looked down on. Annie sighed, she went on this trip to help with the relations with the minotaurs, and to find Star, but recent events have all but brought that mission to a halt. So long as the Avalon was down, and surrounded by enemies, there was no way any of them could conduct a search.

After a short walk about, Annie arrived at the bridge of the ship. Her mentor was there, looking over the shoulder of a stallion who was working the radio communications. Annie walked over and cleared her throat to announce her presence. Twilight turned around and nodded to Annie.

“‘Morning Annie,” said Twilight.

“Good morning Princess, how’s it going with the radio?” Annie asked.

Twilight sighed. “Nothing, our radio transmissions are scattered because of the high walls. If anypony’s listening they’d need to be within our range, otherwise we’re just talking to ourselves. The only good thing about this situation is that the griffons can’t communicate with their homeland, so they can’t call for reinforcements.”

“So if we can outlast them, they’ll have no choice but to leave,” said Annie.

“Or at the very least, they could try a suicide run. It would be a better fate for them to go out in blaze of glory and honor than just sit idly by. It’s a coward’s tactic.”

Both mares turned around, hearing the voice and thumping hoofsteps of Prince Steel as he joined them.

“Admittedly, knowing how large an enemy force we’re up against would help out, at least we’d know how many more ships and troops we need to whittle down until they finally retreat,” said Twilight.

[Enemy movement detected.]

Annie, Twilight, and Steel all looked to the violet ring.

“Looks like you’ll get your wish Prince Steel,” said Annie.

The Avalon crew scrambled to their offensive positions, readying the cannons and rockets for deployment. Alarms blared as the clopping of hooves against metal, clanking of armor, and the growls of minotaurs echoed in the halls. Cannon turrets popped out of their portholes, as rocket ramps were sprung out, all aimed in the direction of the canyon gates before them. The minotaur warriors readied themselves at the corridor that Annie had created via her violet sapphire crystals, Royal Guards were at the rear, with Annie and the trio of Troublemakers standing at her side. She had already sent out her construct doves, all of them acting as relays to display the images of the battlefield.

“What do you see?!” Prince Steel shouted.

Annie looked to her screens and saw something odd. “It’s…Anubis?”

Prince Steel and Twilight both looked at her with confusion.

“Anubis? That needle muzzled lap dog?!” Steel asked.

“Um, yes, it’s definitely him. He’s leading the charge, actually the whole Dire Tribe is just marching at a steady pace behind him!”

Prince Steel broke from the formation and ran to the opening of the barricade to see this for himself. Indeed Anubis was leading the charge, the Jackal Tribe general walked at a leisurely pace, his khopesh sword held tight in his right hand. Something about that weapon, actually, something about him altogether was off. Even from this distance, the jackal radiated an aura of power and carnage. Prince Steel could sense it, he could strip away the physical with his instincts as a warrior; it showed him the true beast that was waiting to be let loose from its leash.

“This isn’t good…HIGH PRINCESS TWILIGHT!”

The Prince ran down the corridor, barreling past his three-hundred soldiers to the other end. He skidded to a halt before the Royal Guard and Twilight, his visage intense.

“Prince Steel what’s wrong?!” Twilight asked.

“There’s something different about Anubis, the air around him is foul! It’s hard to put into words, but you need to get your crew and soldiers out of here, NOW!”

“Prince Steel you haven’t told me why other than –!”

*VWOOOOM!*

Far off in the distance, Anubis slashed with his sword, launching a wide black and violet energy crescent that sailed across the barren battlefield. The wave struck against the star sapphire crystals, shattering the spikes and part of the wall. A booming rumble echoed through the ground, accompanied by the sound of shattering glass. Anubis slashed a second time, releasing another wave that slammed against the wall of crystal, destroying it and encroaching on the ones it protected.

The ponies and minotaurs on the other side had no idea that was possible, even Annie herself was dumbfounded that something was powerful enough to shatter her crystals when even cannon fire did little to nothing other than scuff it, if that.

“Ring what’s going on?! Why are the crystals shattering?! I thought they were indestructible?!” Annie asked.

[Star Sapphire crystals are normally impervious and cannot be shattered easily. But readings show that the energy used to shatter the crystals is an augmented form of the magical energy you use. It is more hostile, black as night.]

“Dark magic!” Twilight exclaimed. “Anubis is using dark magic to destroy the crystals!”

[Correct. Dark magical energy has an adverse effect on violet light energy, I recommend extreme caution when engaging in combat.]

“The ring does not jest, if it’s dangerous to her as well then you must leave now!”

“Prince Steel you can’t win against dark magic,” said Twilight.

Another blast wave struck the crystals, and the shattering sounded closer than the last time. Prince Steel looked to Twilight and to Annie both. They didn’t want to abandon the fight before it began, but he was right, they needed to escape while they could. Twilight used her magic to funnel her voice into the intercoms of the ship so that all could hear her.

“Attention, all crew abandon the Avalon! We’re heading down the Saddle Arabian Gate immediately, this is not a drill, abandon ship, now!!!”

Annie rushed past Twilight and Steel, heading to the opening of the corridor that she created. She sat on her haunches and pointed her ring at the wall of star sapphire crystals, the violet ring glowed bright as the crystals obeyed her mental commands. The wall grew higher and higher, and thicker as she worked to create a solid structure before them.

“I’ll hold out as long as I can, just make sure that everypony gets out of the Avalon!” Annie shouted.

“Annie are you crazy?!” Hot Head shouted.

“We don’t have time to argue this just do it!”


Canterlot, around the same time

Nidra never felt more miserable in her life, she couldn’t believe what she had done – had said to Turquoise! She kissed him…the one thing she’d always wanted to do with the stallion – well that and more – and she couldn’t feel happy about it. Not after the look Turquoise gave her, and what’s worse, she had even suggested that he cheat on Annie!

How could I ask him to do that?!

It’s not like he didn’t like you kissing him, surprised, but trust me I don’t think he disliked it too much.

Oh shut up! Were you looking at the same eyes I was?! He looked betrayed! And why shouldn’t he look at me like that, I asked him to cheat on his fillyfriend, on Anthea!

And again, he can do much better than her. We belong with Turquoise, it’s as simple as that. He doesn’t need to worry about mares like Anthea, ones who look at him strangely for being half-dragon, it’s only a matter of time before she decides to trade up for another stallion. Heck, she’s probably getting it from her two colt “foalhood friends” right now!

Oh please, even though Annie can be a pervert at times, she’s not a whorse!

War changes ones priorities, if you thought you were going to die in battle the next day, wouldn’t you want to feel loved for one night, to remember the tender and loving touch of another instead of the sting and pain of a blade?

Well…I mean…

Exactly, besides, as much as “little miss perfect” likes to pretend to be all goodie-goodie, you and I know that’s never the case with some ponies! How many times did an entourage of mares and stallions form around you because you were a royal? I bet if you were some half-unicorn, half-thestral and not half-alicorn they would look at you just the same as they do Turquoise, or even Illusion for that matter!

I…I don’t…

Illusion found happiness with Claire, Turquoise’s sister for crying out loud! And he’s more jumbled than anything! It’s destiny Nidra, a half-dragon dating the son of a High Royal, and another half-dragon dating the daughter of another High Royal! I know ruling isn’t exactly something neither of us want, but think about it, think on how it looks! The two royal cousins, together with the two half-dragon siblings, a new royal line, it’ll be poetic, romantic even.

I never realized it, heh, Illusion and I had fallen for two ponies who happen to be the other’s sibling…maybe it is meant to be?

No “maybe” about it! Just go back to Turquoise and try again! Maybe show ‘em that you can give him what Annie can’t, or rather won’t.

And what exactly are you…? Wait minute, you’re not suggesting that I –?!

Hey, he’s a stallion, and as nice a stallion as Turquoise is, he’s like any other when it comes to that.

Nidra shook her head violently, very naughty images were now erupting in her head and her face wouldn’t stop blushing from them. Not that she hadn’t imagined those things before…with Turquoise. But still, using her feminine wiles and body to seduce him into being together wasn’t any way to start a relationship! She wanted him to love her, not her body, but her! But at this rate, she was running out of options, especially after her blunder the other night.

“S’up ‘Cuz?”

Nidra glanced over her right shoulder and saw Illusion walking onto the balcony. She sighed and went back to her sulking, staring out into the city below. The half-pony, half-draconequus took a seat beside his cousin, mimicking her sulking as he sat there. Nidra looked over at Illusion, rolling her eyes at his usual playfulness.

“Was there something you needed Illusion?”

“I saw my favorite cousin looking all depressed and decided to come and see what was up, that’s all,” said Illusion.

Nidra scoffed. “‘Favorite’, I’m your only cousin.”

“Oh yeah, you’re right! Phew, now I don’t have to worry about another cousin competing with you for my affection, ‘cause really, I’d pick you, like always.”

Illusion ruffled Nidra’s mane a little with his left hoof, he stopped after a few seconds when he noticed that Nidra didn’t try to bat his hoof away, or tell him to quit treating her like a little filly. Now he was worried.

“Hey Nidra, what’s up, seriously what’s got you down?”

Nidra didn’t know if telling Illusion was a good idea. He was, after all, dating the big sister of the stallion she just kissed. The alicorn thestral let out a shudder, imagining the wrath of Claire when she found out. It was times like these that she really missed Starburst, Illusion was a good pony to confide in, he was practically a brother to her, but still, there were just some things that were easier to discuss with another mare than a stallion. But as it stood, Nidra’s options were limited, she really, really, really didn’t want to talk to her mother about all this, her father…was an option, he was always willing to listen and help when he could. So with a sigh, Nidra bared her soul.

“Illusion…I’m going to tell you something that’s a little difficult to hear, and it’s…you might not like me after I do,” said Nidra.

“Oh Faust, you’re in love with me aren’t you?! Dammit, I knew it was only a matter of time before you gave into your dark fantasies!”

Nidra’s wings flared out in agitation as she turned on Illusion, her face red with a mixture of anger and embarrassment. “WHAT?! Ewww! No! I don’t – UGH! I’m trying to tell you what’s wrong now are you going to get serious or not?!”

“Okay, okay, just trying to lighten the mood a little, sorry,” said Illusion.

Nidra sighed heavily, this was not going to be fun. “Illusion…last night…I snuck out of the castle…”

“Pfft, nothing new.”

“And Turquoise came with me…”

Illusion’s ears perked up. “Okay now that’s new.”

“I just wanted him to get over his worry about Anthea, and it’s been working, these past few days I’ve seen a real lift in his mood.”

Illusion couldn’t deny that, in the time he’d spent with Turquoise here and there, he’d seemed much happier since when he first arrived at the castle. Nonetheless, Illusion felt that there was something more to this so he nodded for her to continue.

“When we snuck out last night we went to a nightclub, we had a lot fun, and I even got T to dance with me!”

“Okay, I’d pay good bits to actually see that big lug dance.”

“So he isn’t the most graceful, he’s still pretty good. Anyway…we got back late and…I…I asked T if I could sleep in his room.”

Illusion brought up his right paw right away. “Stop, hold up. Nidra, please tell me that you and T didn’t…‘do the do’ and that you’re asking me the best way to break it to Aunty Luna and my Mom…*gulp* and to Claire and Annie, ‘cause I’d sooner go Tartarus and fight Tirek for all eternity than do that!”

Nidra raised an eyebrow and gave her cousin a deadpan look.

Illusion then smacked his forehead with his right paw. “Okay, right, it’s Turquoise, forgot. Continue.”

“I guess I don’t blame you for thinking that…if things had happened differently I’d be asking for that kind of advice. Illusion, I kissed Turquoise.”

Illusion had to pause for a moment to let his brain catch up. “You…kissed T?”

“While were in his bed…we started talking and I asked him if I met him sooner than Anthea did if I would’ve been his fillyfriend instead of her! He said that he probably would’ve and when I heard that everything else went blank and I just kissed him!”

Illusion pinched the bridge of his nose with his paw as he contemplated this situation. “You kissed T, knowing full well that he’s with Annie still. Okay, it’s a little bad, but nothing that can’t be talked out, you just let your emotions get the better of you that’s all and you gave into your passion and now you’re sorry, even if you’re not just say you are.”

“That’s not the end of it…”

Illusion’s ears fell flat. “Oh boy, there’s more?”

“I asked Turquoise if he wanted to date me and try out being coltfriend and fillyfriend…”

“What the hay Nidra, you really asked him that?!”

Nidra averted her eyes.

“Nidra, I know you’ve had a crush on Turquoise for the longest time, and I know it must be a little painful to see Annie and him together –”

“PAINFUL?!!” Nidra shouted. “How would you feel if Claire was going out with Prism instead of you?! How many times would it hurt you inside, knowing how happy you two are right now, that that would never happen if she decided to date him or somepony else instead?!”

“I…! I…” Illusion had no words. It never really dawned on him how he’d feel if Claire up and liked some other pony.

“Exactly, and wouldn’t you do anything to even have one chance at that one pony you knew in your heart you belonged with?! It was the same thing, all I asked was for a chance!” Nidra argued.

Illusion shook himself out of the stupor. “That’s still not something you ask of a stallion who’s worried about his fillyfriend who’s off with some unknown ring power on a mission in another country!”

“Oh enough already! Everypony’s so damn worried about Annie and her ring, and now you all suddenly trust her but not Starburst?!”

“Nidra we’re not getting into that,” said Illusion.

“Well it looks like we are! Everypony seems to think her ring is a gift, while others think Star’s is a curse that made her into something bad! You…I don’t have anypony left Illusion!” Nidra lowered her head. “Starburst is gone…she was the only pony who saw me as friend, and I her! I may not have always seen eye to eye with some of the things she did, but I believed in her! And she was patient with me, she’d listen, she’d even give me a hard time about my attitude, but then we’d laugh about it later! And now she’s gone…now, when I have a chance to try and make a connection with the one stallion I love…”

Illusion watched as tears fell from under the bangs of her mane. Whatever anger or irritation that Illusion was feeling vanished at the sight of that. He moved in closer and gently brought Nidra in for a hug, she didn’t seem to fight it, maybe because she needed to be held. She rested her head against the fluff around his neck and chest, letting her tears fall.

“I’m sorry Nidra…I didn’t know how much this was eating at you. If…If you told me sooner maybe we could’ve all talked this out, I don’t know. But it’s not like you can’t make this right, T’s not the kind of guy to stay angry at somepony, just give him some space.”

I get it…

“Okay,” said Nidra. “Can you go for a bit, I need to think?”

Nopony can understand me…understand what I feel or how much it hurts…

“Sure thing, just come and find me if you need to talk. I’m here for you ‘Cuz.” Illusion patted Nidra on the head and then proceeded back into the palace.

The only pony who did is gone and is forsaken by practically everypony who cares about her…

Nidra turned her gaze towards the shadow of the white moon that lay hidden behind the blue sky.

I have to take what I want…Turquoise can’t see what I can give him, not with Anthea blocking his sight

The yellow of her irises started to tinge with an orangey glow.

I’ll show everypony…I’ll take what they have…and show them the pain of never having that which your heart desires, all while the one thing, the one pony I want most belongs to only me…For that is my right


Gates of Volkan, Saddle Arabian Gate

Annie was reaching her limits, Anubis’ attacks were pounding away at the barrier wall, and now the Empire’s air battleships had made an appearance, blasting at the wall with cannon fire and rockets. But Annie had to hold on, she needed to keep them at bay long enough to give the others a head start at the very least, she had to hold this line!

[Power levels at 70%.]

“Thanks for the update ring!”

“ANNIE!!!”

The Star Sapphire glanced over her left shoulder and watched as Hot Head flew down to her, his prototype shifter armor fully deployed around his body.

“The Princess said we got everypony and minotaur a safe distance away from the Avalon! You can fall back with the rest of us!”

“Are you sure?! If the griffons get a hold of the Avalon they might salvage it and use it against us!” Annie warned.

“Trust me, we got something in store for them. Plant that thing and let’s go!”

Annie nodded, she concentrated and made giant spikes shoot out from underneath the wall, anchoring itself right into the ground. When Annie was sure that it wasn’t going anywhere hopefully for the next five – Faust willing, twenty – minutes she nodded to Hot Head. The rusty red pegasus took off in the direction the others went. Annie gave herself a running start, she then jumped up and focused her violet light energy to where she would land. A wave of crystals jutted up and caught her, they moved like a tidal wave and Annie was its surfer. She rode the crystal wave and in no time flat was catching up with Hot Head.

Meanwhile Anubis continued to unleash one massive energy wave after the other. The jackal raised his sword up for an overhead strike. Dark magical energy swarmed around the blade, lashing out like a thousand angry vipers, Anubis brought the blade down in one swift motion, creating a giant crescent arc that cut into the earthen rock and struck right into the wall, fracturing it right down the middle. The airships unleashed their hellfire, blasting the fissure with rockets and mortar fire that made the cracks spider web out all over the structure. Ten airships moved in and added to the bombardment of the other seven, just a matter of minutes the entire crystal wall fell, falling to the ground in giant chunks and shattering to pieces upon impact.

Anubis raised his sword into the air and roared mightily. “CHARGE!!!”

The army of Dires ran, their large paws thumping against the ground as they did, Anubis led the charge sword in hand as he crossed the large barren field with a speed that was unnatural, even to the dog tribes. Anubis and about half of the army made it to the Avalon, ready to kill the ponies and minotaurs all at once. But when they got there, there wasn’t any sign of them. Some of the Dires sniffed at the air and then lowered their muzzles to the ground to sniff the dirt, after a few seconds the Dires pointed down the corridor that led to Saddle Arabia. Anubis gritted his teeth and clenched his hand firmly around the hilt of weapon.

“So you think you can run away do you?! Sic ‘em!” Anubis ordered.

The Dires roared out their affirmative and charged once again, but as they did so, the sounds of their plodding paws against the earth nearly drowned out a secondary sound. Anubis’ ears swiveled around, trying to pinpoint that annoying sound in the background. His sensitive ears pointed him in the direction of the ship. He approached it, the sound intensifying as he did. When Anubis got close enough he was able to discern that the sound was in actuality a ticking noise, like that of a clock. The jackal’s ears dropped down as he glared in the direction the ponies ran.

“Oh you sneaky little motherf–!”


Annie and Hot Head stopped for a moment. A giant explosion went off further on back where they just were, the sound echoed off the canyon walls and focused the concussive force enough to nearly knock Hot Head out of the sky and Annie on her rump. After a few seconds had passed, Annie was able to spot a giant column of black smoke rising into the air.

“What was that?!” Annie asked.

“Prince Steel and the Captain decided to leave a present for them. We rigged the entire ship to explode! If that blast didn’t get all of them, the burning fire and smoke will make it hard for them to get past the gate. Should buy us plenty of time!”

Hot Head took off once again with Annie right behind him.

“Plenty of time for what?!”

“High Princess Twilight said she was going to teleport us all to Saddle Arabia, but in order to do that she needs to cast two spells!”

“A scrying spell and the teleportation spell itself!”

Hot Head shook his head from the immediate response. “Wow, how’d you guess the scrying one?!”

Annie surfed the crystal wave, dodging a large rock that was jutting out from the ground before responding. “I figured she hadn’t been to Saddle Arabia enough times to know it in detail, so a scrying spell will help her get a fixed point on where she wants to appear in, but it takes a while to pinpoint the exact or general area when you don’t have an anchor point. Not to mention the amount of magic it’s going to take to cast a teleportation spell large enough to get everyone out of here at once. We’re going to need all the time we can get, hopefully the bomb did the trick!”

“You and me both!” Hot Head agreed.

Annie glanced towards the bellowing smoke, she then raised her right forehoof and saluted. Goodbye Avalon, you went out fighting to the end.

The mare and stallion caught up with the group, the minotaurs and Royal Guards formed a circle of protection around the crewmembers and Twilight. The High Princess of Magic was at the center, her eyes closed and her horn blazing with magical energy. Annie could tell that she was deep in the trance, stretching out her mind to find the point where she wanted them all to end up in Saddle Arabia.

Prince Steel was at the rear guard with his three-hundred, their shields and spears pointed in the direction that Hot Head and Annie just came from. “We must make sure she completes the spell with no interruptions, if those canine bastards get here we hold this line!”

Annie was able to sense it through her magic, the Princess was close to finding an anchor point, and her magical charge was nearly at full power to teleport them all to safety, another minute or two and they’d be at Saddle Arabia. But Annie knew it’d only be the beginning, the Saddle Arabians were already busy holding the front line, and now they would have to contend with another force coming from their rear. Annie wasn’t sure if she was prepared for that fight, she was hardly ready for this one, but she had to be ready, she was the only one powerful enough to face the griffons and Anubis’ magic.

“Hold on everyone! I’m about to initiate the teleportation!” Twilight yelled.

Her horn blazed with mana, a magic circle appeared beneath them, encompassing the ponies and minotaurs all at once, just a few seconds more and they’d be in friendly territory.

[Anomaly detected!]

“‘Anomaly’, what kind of anomaly?!” Annie asked.

[Spatial, readings indicate warping or wormhole generation. Distance…five feet!]

Annie looked around them, her eyes scanning the area, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Just then she spotted something, a thin black line was forming right behind Twilight, it was so strange, if she looked at it the wrong way she’d lose sight of it, or believed it was a trick of the eye. Annie saw the line begin to tear, as if space itself was being ripped open. Annie hurriedly pushed through the crew of the Avalon and hurried to Twilight. At that moment the line began a tear, and the tear transformed into a doorway made of darkness.

“TWILIGHT LOOK OUT!!!” Annie shouted.

The High Princess of Magic glanced over her shoulder and saw the door of darkness, just in time to see its occupant jump out! Anubis brandished his khopesh sword, hefting the weapon up like an executioner about to deliver the killing blow. Annie thrust out her right hoof, the ring shined and fired a beam right at Twilight. It was a race, the beam or the blade, one would save her, and the other would kill her! Just as the blade neared the nape of Twilight’s neck, Annie’s beam struck her, encasing Twilight’s entire body in armor made of the sapphire crystal. Anubis’ blade struck the armor, causing a shockwave that threw him back, making him dig his heels into the dirt to bring himself to a halt.

Twilight was blown back as well, being caught on a large construct pillow just in the nick of time. Unfortunately, the circle vanished, and Twilight’s horn was no longer blazing with the same magical energy it was earlier. The Royal Guard, the Troublemakers, and Annie took position in front of Twilight, all ready to fight Anubis.

“How in the hay did you survive that?!” Amber asked.

Anubis rose up and tapped his sword blade with the tip of his extended claw. “This little weapon of mine doesn’t just destroy, it can also rip open doorways for me to use. I’ll admit, you caught me off guard with that little explosion. You took out a good chunk of my forces, but not enough to stave off your deaths!”

Anubis slashed at the air just a few feet away from where the minotaurs were. A gash appeared in space, and from that gash fell the Dire Diamond Dogs! Hundreds continued to pour out, all landing with little effort and snarling at the minotaurs, no doubt wanting payback. Prince Steel looked to Twilight and nodded.

“FIGHT ON!!!” Steel bellowed.

The three-hundred followed their Prince’s lead, charging straight for the pack, shields first. The two sides met in the middle with a concussive thud and crunch, the minotaurs broke up into twos, one using their spear while the other used their sword, watching each other’s backs. Steel had one dog come at him from the side, but the minotaur swung upwards with his shield, smashing the beast in the face and knocking it to the ground. He then spun around and struck another dog in the face with the edge of the shield. He threw his spear, the long weapon impaling itself in the body of another Dire with a wet thud before it toppled over. Steel drew his sword and started hacking and slashing through many others, limbs were sent flying as blood painted the air a deep scarlet.

On the other spectrum, Anubis was fighting a fifty on one battle. The Royal Guards proved to be a joke, a few of them got in some good blows that he’ll admit, but nothing that could kill him. He grabbed one by the throat and squeezed until he heard the satisfying snapping crunch of his spine and larynx. He tossed the body at one of the others, knocking him down, Anubis then jumped into the air and came down stabbing through the already dead body and into the Guard who was knocked down. Magic bolts were flung at him from the unicorns, while others tried to hit him with spears and swords, but nothing was able to get to him.

Lucky used the power of his magnified magic, channeling it through the crystal blade horn and firing a powerful beam of mana. Anubis brought up his sword and blocked the beam, cutting into it with the dark magic that was imbued into it. From above, Hot Head came whizzing down, his wings sheened in the glow of the sun as he slashed with his left wing. The jackal cancelled out Lucky’s spell and turned his attention on Hot Head, slashing upwards and meeting the pegasus’ attack with his own. A powerful clank echoed in the canyon as their blades clashed, Hot Head continuously trying to slice away at the jackal.

Amber came stampeding from the side, she jumped into the air and cocked back her right hoof. Anubis’ senses alerted him yet again, he parried another slash from Hot Head before jumping into the air. Amber’s punch struck at the spot where he once stood, causing the ground to break apart and crater from the sheer strength and power behind that punch. Amber charged in again, spinning around to deliver a buck to Anubis. The black jackal used his sword to deflect the powerful blows, some nearly coming close to taking his head off.

Annie saw an opening and took it. She formed a lasso construct and had it fly towards Anubis, the jackal was completely unaware of the violet-pink construct wrapping around his legs, and by the time he did, the lasso became taut. Annie pulled on the lasso, bringing Anubis flopping onto the ground, she then pulled on it again, this time bringing it overhead. Anubis went straight up into the air, and within a few seconds he was reacquainted with terra firma with a harsh “BOOM!” The Star Sapphire then launched crystal construct rockets that flew up into the air, angling themselves until they were right above Anubis and struck him multiple times, detonating with each impact.

The black jackal roared out, creating a column of dark magic that shattered the remaining rockets. He jumped up into the air and prepared to launch a massive black crescent, but he was stopped when a large, elegant, rose colored claymore sword slashed at him, cutting his cheek in the process. Anubis landed back on the ground, but was given little reprieve when he did. Twilight came zooming towards him, her full battle regalia armor on, and a glowing sword made of her magical power at her side. The alicorn mare slashed right and left, but Anubis blocked them, but she parried on the third strike, allowing her to follow through with a thrust. The blade of her mana sword scraped against Anubis’ armor, cutting down until the blade was piercing the skin just slightly. Anubis arched his back, allowing the rest of the blade to pass him by harmlessly, he then swept upwards with his own sword, hitting Twilight’s blade away from him as he backed up.

“I see, getting your hooves dirty are you, High Princess Twilight?”

“I will not stand by and watch you kill my subjects, Anubis! I don’t know how you obtained that dark magic, but trust me when I say, you will not prevail here!” Twilight proclaimed.

Anubis chuckled. “Very amusing, this coming from the mare who was captured and publicly tortured while her screams were aired across her own nation?! Hard to imagine that you can act so high and mighty, tell me, Princess, did you cry for your mother?!”

Twilight’s body ignited with magic as she charged for Anubis! The two blades clashed, releasing a shockwave that raged out from the point of contact. Twilight and Anubis held their ground, both swords grinding against each other as their wielders were locked in a power struggle. Anubis’ yellow eyes shimmered with a sinister spark as he met those amethyst eyes of Twilight’s.

“I can see that fear in you, High Princess! Beneath this powerful, goddess-like power and visage, you’re really a scared little filly underneath, beaten, and humiliated, frightened like a child!”

“SHUT UP!!!”

Twilight’s sword burned brighter as she took a step forward, forcing Anubis to take a step back. The black jackal released more of his dark magic into the sword, allowing him to regain the step he lost.

“I’ve already won little filly, you just haven’t fully grasped it yet,” said Anubis.

The power struggle ended, both sword fighters were pushed back some feet, leaving a large gap of space between them.

“I know what is you fear…” Anubis channeled his energy into the blade, making a dark tendril that was at least twenty feet in length. “I know, because the darkness shows me!”

Anubis raised his sword and snapped it, causing the tendril to release a crack that echoed out. Twilight visibly flinched, her sword wavering. Another crack of the black tendril made Twilight flinch again, a third crack made her take step back, a fourth, a fifth, sixth, seventh!

“STOP!!!” Twilight shouted.

“Princess!” Amber, Lucky, and Hot Head cried.

“It’s alright Princess, don’t think about it! Concentrate on the fight!” Annie shouted.

“Forget it, she’s afraid, and with good reason!”

Anubis slashed at the air vertically, releasing a black crescent. The crescent traveled far down the canyon and stopped as if it struck something. The giant crescent had cut open another doorway, one that expanded to block the way for all of them. From the giant doorway a Griffon Empire airship flew out, but it wasn’t alone, two more came out right behind it. The ships released a flood of griffon soldiers, all flocking right towards their group.

“And there!” Anubis shouted as he pointed towards the other end.

Down the way another warship flew, seven frigates flew behind it, both letting their squadrons of griffons fly out to meet the fighting parties down below. They were trapped, griffons to their backs and to their front, a small army of feral diamond dogs, and a jackal with fighting skills and dark magic strong enough to match Twilight’s magic, and seriously do some damage to Annie’s constructs.

Twilight’s eyes became the size of pinpricks, her heart raced, going a million miles an hour. Her body began to tremble, a soreness came over her, a familiar pain that she kept wishing she could forget. The sword could no longer maintain its form with Twilight’s fear and panic returning, the magical construct shattered within a few seconds, becoming nothing but particles of mana. Anubis saw his opening and dashed for Twilight.

The black jackal raised his sword, ready to deliver the killing blow to the Princess of Magic, doing what the fallen Wing Commander could not and solidifying his place in the new world that would come from the fall of the mighty Equestrian Kingdom! Anubis slashed downwards and felt his weapon pierce through metal and flesh, a spray of scarlet blood obscured his vision for a moment, he relished this, the satisfaction of cutting down a Princess with his own paws! But when Anubis cleared his vision to see his good work his mouth hung open, flabbergasted.

Annie, Hot Head, Amber, Lucky, and Twilight all looked on in horror and surprise as Prince Steel stood before Twilight, taking the blow that was meant for her. The blade had slashed through his giant shield, the armor, his forearm, and right to his chest, causing a fountain of blood to come spewing forth from the gash. The whole time Steel gnashed his teeth and grunted through the pain of the wound, his severed arm releasing even more copious amounts of blood.

“What’s the matter Anubis?! You look very surprised for a warrior who has the upper hand! Now C’MON!”

Prince Steel widened his stance and cocked back his right fist.

“LET ME SEE YOU GRIT THOSE TEETH!!!”

The minotaur Prince slammed his fist right into Anubis’ face, sending the jackal flying, bouncing like a stone on water till he smashed against the canyon wall some feet away from them. Steel smirked and then fell to the ground with a great thud. The five ponies rushed to the Prince’s side, Amber helping in turning the burly minotaur over to see how serious the injury was. She gasped, the blade had cut very deep, enough to where Amber could see internal damage. The severed arm was still releasing blood, Amber was at a loss of what to do first, even with her medical knowledge, the minotaur had taken too much damage for her to do any effective first aid!

“Amber get back I-I’ll see if I can heal him!” Twilight shouted.

Amber did just that. The alicorn Princess cast the strongest healing spell she knew on both the gash and severed part of his arm, but the moment the magic touched the wounds black lightning like energy lashed out from the edges of the wound. The black energy swatted at Twilight’s attempts to heal their victim, Twilight tried again and again, trying to overcome the dark magic with all her might, but there was something wrong with this dark magic, it was…different, menacing, evil. As if it had been plucked from the very essence of darkness itself!

Twilight lowered her head, tears falling from her eyes as she sobbed heavily. “I’m sorry…! I…I can’t heal him! None of my spells are working!”

“It is…alright…High Princess…”

“Don’t talk, you need to save what strength you have!” Amber urged.

“Heh-heh…you do not have to pretend…I can see by the look in your eyes…”

Annie approached Prince Steel. “You saved Princess Twilight…I…I should have…”

“I chose to defend her…for a minotaur, dying in battle is honor…dying while defending another in battle, is an even greater honor. I have earned my place at the table of the gods…Fight on, all of you…Anthea of the Star Sapphire…”

“Yes?” Annie asked with a trembling voice.

“You wield love…never let its light be extinguished within you…fight for what and who you love…in that, you can become a great warrior……………”

Prince Steel’s eyes closed, the minotaur warrior had drifted to the next world. All five hung their heads in brief mourning, but it was not to last.
Anubis burst forth from the body-sized hole he had been punched into, his snout bloody from the punch he had received from Prince Steel. The black jackal slowly stalked towards the group, his khopesh sword dragging against the ground as he got closer to them.

“Heh, and in the end, the fool dies in vain! He only delayed your suffering for a few moments!”

Annie narrowed her eyes and got in front of the group, her ring shining bright in response to her fervor to protect her loved ones.

[Power levels at 65%.]

Annie mentally cursed, at that level she would lose her vision during the fight, and right now she couldn’t afford such a thing. Plus, she didn’t think Anubis would even give her the opportunity to recharge.

I’m sorry T…looks like I won’t be coming back to you after all…

“Anubis! I’m not done! I’ll…I’ll defeat you, every last one of you!” Annie proclaimed as a flowery aura of violet-pink light flared up around her body.

Anubis laughed loudly into the air, finding amusement in the declaration from the pink unicorn mare.

“Look around you little unicorn whorse, an army to the back of you, an army to the front of you, and me, wielding a power that can shatter your precious light! It’s over, you’ve lost, and you are all going to di–!”

*BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!*

Anubis turned around and watched as the warships behind him had all exploded and fell to the ground in the form of giant fireballs. The griffons, ponies, and diamond dogs all paused as they watched the event take place. A golden-yellow beam of light shot forth from the bellowing smoke, the force of the beam parted the smoke as it sailed straight for the other airships at the other end of the canyon, piercing one ship after the other. The light then fired up into the air, and split into multiple beams that spread out over the canyon walls. A chorus of mighty explosions went off one after the other all around them, black smoke rising up from where the beams were aimed.

Everyone just gawked in amazement at what they saw, some in shock, and others in complete terror as to what could’ve done that. There answer came when a bright yellow light shined from overhead. The light dimmed slightly, revealing a very familiar form. Wrapped in yellow armor, with giant yellow wings flared out like an angel of judgment, and eyes that intimidated with just a glance, it was a pegasus mare, a mare that everypony knew, a mare who had been labeled a rogue and a criminal, the wielder of the yellow light of Fear herself!

“Starburst…” Annie whispered.

“Impossible…the Fear Lantern, HERE?!” Anubis shouted in disbelief.

Starburst scanned the area, taking in every detail of the battlefield. Her eyes settled on the black jackal, looking directly at the sword which was wrapped in a black aura.

[Dark energy detected. Recommend caution when engaging.]

Starburst chuckled. “Partner, since when has ‘caution’ helped me?”

[Ah, that is a rhetorical question.]

“You’re getting better at this. Anyway…” Starburst flew down to the ground, landing a few feet away from Anubis. “…I take it that you’re the leader of this little escapade?”

Anubis turned to Starburst and held his sword firm in his hand, growling low. “I am Anubis, general of the Jackal Tribe of the Diamond Dogs, and future chief of all the tribes under the new world order of the griffons!”

Starburst rolled her eyes. “Geez, what a shocker. Well then, Anubis,” Starburst used her ring to create two broadsword constructs, bringing them both before her in an X pattern, “let’s do this.”

“RRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!!!”

Anubis and Starburst charged for each other. Star slashed with her right sword, but Anubis quickly blocked it. The left blade came down for an overhead strike, Anubis parried the construct sword and slashed upwards, slapping the weapon away from him. Anubis slashed at Star, but she gracefully sidestepped to the right, the jackal placed his sword in a reverse-grip and cut horizontally to the left. Starburst jumped up and back, flipping in the air and landing with the poise of a dancer, making the jackal warrior growl in irritation.

The two went at it again, a series of parries, thrusts, and slashes that rang out in the canyon. Starburst could see that her constructs were starting to show cracks in them. She took one last look around, making sure every pony and minotaur was still in the same spot they were when they started. Thankfully they still were, which meant Star could finish this quickly.

“SOLDIERS OF MINOTAURUS, ROYAL GUARDS, ANNIE, MOM, STAY WHERE YOU ARE AND DON’T MOVE!!!” Starburst ordered.

Anubis came down with an overhead strike, making Starburst block with both blades. She jumped up into the air, letting the constructs shatter upon reaching her desired height. Star’s ring began to glow with bright yellow light, she remained still in the air, everyone waiting and watching, wondering what she was up to.

“Are you planning on staying up there or are you going to face me.”

Starburst stayed silent.

“Are you ignoring me now?! I’ll show you the penalty for such disrespect!”

Anubis channeled the dark energy into his blade, readying a black crescent attack to cut down the high and mighty mare.

“STAR!!!” Annie cried out.

“You won’t be showing me anything.”

Suddenly Anubis’ right arm felt something go taut around the forearm and shoulder joints. Within a matter of nanoseconds his arm was severed at the points where the pressure was placed, Anubis stared at his severed limb in horror as the two halves of his arm fell to the ground along with his sword, which his severed hand still held a death grip on. Anubis went to grab it with his other arm but felt more pressure around different parts of his body, even around his neck. The tautness of the pressure immobilized him, keeping him still as a statue.

“What…What did you do to me?!”

“Not just you…”

Starburst made her ring spark for a moment, the light traveled along something, thin wires were connected to the ring, spreading outwards and practically over everything in sight. The wires continued on, showing how they loosely wrapped around every griffon that survived the destruction of the airships, and every Dire Diamond Dog. Twilight, Annie, the Troublemakers, the minotaurs, and even the Royal Guards were the only ones not wrapped up in this invisible web, but they were cutting it close, the wires weren’t close, but if they moved too much in one direction, they risked getting tangled up in them.

“How did you…?”

“I laid this out the moment I released that last attack. I mentally weaved this constructs around every enemy I could see, it took me months to get this construct thin enough that it could barely be seen, but it was worth it. The wires are so thin and sharp they can cut through practically anything, and when it comes to a live body…it’s like a hot knife through butter.”

Anubis looked on at the Fear Lantern, his power was utterly useless now, and there was nothing he could do. Starburst could feel it, the fear in Anubis, and the fear in his subordinates, even the fear in her mother and the others. This fear only fueled the power of her ring, making it glow brighter.

“This battle ends…now.”

The ring flashed and suddenly all the wires went taut around their victims. The wires sliced through the flesh of the griffons and Dire Diamond Dogs, painting the air with crimson blood as limbs were severed and sent cascading down to the ground with wet thuds, Anubis was last, his head, arms, legs, and torso all sliced apart. The wires receded back to Star’s ring, and then there was silence.

Starburst flew down to the group of ponies and minotaurs. All of them couldn’t believe just how easily and…bloody Star had taken out all of them, and all at once! Star stopped where she was, but Annie walked away from the group stopping a foot away from the Fear Lantern.

“…Hi…Annie.”

Star let out a gasp as she suddenly found herself being wrapped in the forelegs of the pink unicorn mare, heavy sobbing breaking the eerie silence.

“Hi, Star…we missed you.”

Author's Note:

To Be Continued...


Proofread By: joeSFX