• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 1,013 Views, 3 Comments

A Dark Room - Tired Old Man



Nations do not surface in a day. They start from humble, tiny beginnings. Built with good intentions. But all it takes is a mind twisted by greed to change everything.

  • ...
2
 3
 1,013

2 -- A Tiny Village

A Tiny Village

I cart in more wood. Her smile greets me. I do not know if it is for me or the cart.

Luna built this, and I use it. It carries more branches, larger ones too. Much more than my hooves could carry alone.

The task is now much more laborious. But the rewards, the benefits are worth it.

It also gives me time to think, to reflect. The forest is perfect. Quiet, sleeping, peaceful. No voices to be heard, not since that night. Just me and the cart.

Wheels, hooves, branches. Sounds of work, toil, and effort. It has a purpose. Without wood, there is no cart. There is no fire.

I am the provider. She makes, she crafts, but I provide. What good is a builder with no wood to build with? And so, I provide the wood. I must ensure that there is work for her to do.

A sizable pile of wood is gathered. More than the fire needs. She ponders the stack. Clarity shines in her eyes. I assume she has an idea.

A hut. She says other wanderers are out there. She says they will help. I can always use help.

I consider expanding the house before expunging the idea. A separate hut is better. This house is small, modest, and comfortable for few. Three rooms, no more. A storeroom, the firelit room, and a spare room. She takes the spare room. The fire room is mine. It could hold more wanderers, but it would cramp quickly. Cramping isn’t my style.

She sets up the hut out in the forest with her magic. Not too far from the house we share. We need only wait now. Others will find us like she found me.

In the meantime, more wood for more huts. More huts mean more wanderers, more help. Strength in numbers.

I take the cart back out into the forest. The voices come back again. Want me to explore, to search, to find. Find what? They don’t say. Only to seek.

Curiosity bubbles to the surface. Is there something out there? Something important? Will I even know where to go or what to do?

I shake my head. Thoughts return to the house, to her, to the fire. Exploration will wait for now. Settlement is paramount.

I return with a cartful of wood. She brings news. Two wanderers found this place. Already? It was not long since the hut was finished. Yet they came quickly. Pure chance? Did they know? Were they led here? It bothers me, but I shrug. They found this place. Why does it matter now?

They reside in the hut. They gather wood to help her and I. A simple, yet meaningful task. More wood is always welcome. More wanderers are always welcome.

An issue of food crops up. The grass is sustainable for now. But when more come, better food is needed.

She suggests a farm. Reaches into her cloak and provides seeds. I look upon her and smile. A farm sounds wonderful. It can always expand as more come. Provides better food, wholesome food.

It still needs more wood. I take the cart out into the forest again. Pile more wood on than before. The extra burden is nothing. The cart strains, but moves all the same. My hoofs trudge forward, but do not complain. They know the reward, as do I.

She tells me she set up a second hut upon my return. Looks somewhat tired from all the construction. Then she looks at the wood I carried. Wonders how I managed. I shrug. I don’t know how I did. But our work is not done. She nods in agreement.

I lay the fence while she preps the homestead. One of the two wanderers says they are a farmer. They begin tilling the soil and planting the seeds. In time, they say, the bounty will be grand. I hope so. I hope indeed.

More sounds come from the forest. Voices, but different from the other ones. More wanderers, a group of three. I usher them to the second hut.

They thank me for the shelter, offer aid in return. I nod, then leave them be. Be it wood or farming, all help is welcome. They’ll figure out their place.

I look back at my house. The light is dimmer than usual. I enter and stoke the fire. Let the heat battle the chill that built up within me today.

Luna enters, having finished the homestead. Takes a seat next to me. Basks in the warmth.

She asks me how things are. I shrug. More came in, I tell her. Might need another hut soon.

I motion to the door. Must get more wood. She stops me. Says I’ve done enough today. Her eyes tell me to stay. Not to venture into the forest again.

A sigh. I relent, and come back to the fire. Her smile relays her thanks. I like that. I smile in return, and we both settle in the house. I am content to relax with her and the fire for tonight.