• Published 18th Apr 2014
  • 9,729 Views, 403 Comments

Wings, a Horn and Hooves - Autum Breeze



Lyra and Bon-Bon love each other, but being both mares, they can't have children. one night, they are given the chance to be mothers

  • ...
59
 403
 9,729

Chapter 4 - Comfort and Love

Chapter 4

Comfort and Love

_____________________________________________________________________

Lyra held Scootaloo as they sat in the living room, Scootaloo crying into her chest-fur.

They’d left the hospital about an hour ago and returned to the flat. Bon-Bon had gone to prepare dinner and Lyra had stayed behind to comfort their new daughter.

It hurt her so much to see the young filly suffering so much. She could feel Pegasus’ pain. It was like a cold knife to her heart. She wished she could do more than comfort her, to make her feel better, but she knew this was all she could do right now.

Scootaloo looked up at her, her eyes red and puffy from all her crying.

“Y-you— You won’t leave me, too, will you?” the filly sobbed, sniffing up a bit of snot as it trickled down her nose.

Lyra held her close, rocking her and whispered, “No, honey. We won’t leave you.”

Scootaloo returned to her sobbing, but it was more like low sniffling now.

Lyra just sat there, holding her, rubbing her back as her daughter cried into her.

A small part of the unicorn still couldn’t believe that.

A daughter. She had a daughter. She and Bon-Bon were parents now.

But she knew it wasn’t all sunshine and lollipops, though a certain pink Earth Pony would probably disagree with her there.

Today was a first step in showing she and Bonny were ready for this. To take care of Scootaloo and always put her needs before their own. And that meant staying with the weeping Pegasus until she was calm.

Eventually Bon-Bon’s voice called from the kitchen, saying dinner was ready.

Lyra helped Scootaloo onto her back and walked to the kitchen.

Scootaloo sat down and Lyra and Bon-Bon sat either side of her for comfort.

Scootaloo thanked Bon-Bon for the meal, a daffodil lasagne with hay bacon, but both mares noticed she didn’t eat much, mostly just poking her food with a fork.

When they’d finished dinner, Scootaloo having left more than half on her plate, they went into the living room, where the two mothers held their daughter, reminding her without words that she wasn’t alone.

Scootaloo returned their embrace, but said nothing.

Lyra glanced at Bon-Bon, who shook her head, meaning they’d talk about it later. Right now Scootaloo was their main focus.

After a while Scootaloo had cried herself to sleep in her mothers’ hooves.

Lyra gently levitated her onto Bon-Bon’s back and they went to bed, opting to bathe Scootaloo in the morning instead of waking her now.

Just before they lay her down, Lyra put a diaper on Scootaloo, just in case she had an accident in her sleep.

She stayed with her while Bon-Bon went to have a quick shower.

As she held the small sleeping Pegasus, Lyra realized they barely knew anything about their new daughter. Her likes, her dislikes, why she saw Rainbow Dash as her big sister, etc. So much they hadn’t asked Caring Heart before she passed and now couldn’t.

Maybe they’d ask Scootaloo herself if she was feeling a bit more like talking tomorrow.

After a few minutes Bon-Bon came back and took Scootaloo while Lyra went to have her shower.

As the water poured down onto her, Lyra couldn’t get the sound of Scootaloo’s wails when she’d learned her aunt was dead out of her mind. It kept echoing, over and over again.

Had anypony seen the unicorn, they wouldn’t have been able to differ her tears from the water cascading down on her.

When she was done, she dried herself off and went back to the bedroom, to see Bon-Bon lying next to the sleeping Scootaloo.

She walked over and got into bed, cuddling up with her wife and daughter.

“Should we send her to school tomorrow?” the earth mare asked as she stroked the small Pegasus’ mane.

Lyra shook her head. “I don’t think we should. I don't think she could handle school tomorrow. Plus, I think you mentioned she and her friends sometimes complained about bullies amongst themselves when they were in your store. I don't want her having to deal with that at the moment.

Bon-Bon nodded, a small frown appearing on her face as she remembered said bullies having teased a few fillies when they thought she hadn't been able to notice.

"And we’ll need to let Cheerilee about her new living arrangements,” Lyra sighed as she moved a bit of Scootaloo's mane out of her eyes.

“I’ll do it,” Bon-Bon nodded. “I’ll go to the school tomorrow on my way to work and tell her.”

Lyra raised an eyebrow. “That’s not "on your way to work", Bonny. That’s a fair way out from work. The fillies and colts go to your shop every day after school because it’s on their way away from school.”

Bon-Bon gave a small shake of her head. “She’s our daughter now. I think going out of my way a little before work is something I can manage for her.”

Lyra nodded and closed her eyes, falling into a restless sleep.

_____________________________________________________________________

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were chatting with each other, waiting for class to start and for the third member of their group.

They wanted to know why their Pegasus friend had gone with Lyra and Bon-Bon. They knew she had an aunt, but something didn’t seem right.

Cheerliee called all the young ponies to attention and was about to start class when a knock came from the door.

All turned to see Bon-Bon standing there, a solemn look on her face.

“My apologies for interrupting, Ms. Cheerilee,” she said, taking a step forward. “But can I speak with you in the hall for a moment?”

Cheerilee looked slightly confused, but complied and went out into the hall with the cream-coloured Earth Pony.

The other students started talking amongst themselves, wondering what was going on, but the two members of the CMC watched Cheerilee's face from the doorway, which they had an angle to watch from.

From what they could see, Bon-Bon was talking about something that was very sad. Cheerilee gasped, putting a hoof to her mouth.

Both fillies were shocked to see several tears leak down her muzzle. Whatever they were talking about, it was really bad.

Suddenly fear gripped both fillies. What if it was about Scootaloo? Had something happened to her after she left with Bon-Bon and Lyra yesterday?

Cheerilee walked back in and it was obvious she was sad. All the foals in class noticed it.

But as soon as Cheerilee got to her desk her face returned to it’s normal smile. She started the lesson as if nothing had happened and class went on.

This worried both fillies. What could have happened? Why wasn’t Scoots in school? Where was their friend?

_____________________________________________________________________

Lyra lay next to the sleeping filly.

Bon-Bon had gotten up a while ago to go to the school and tell Cheerilee that Scootaloo wouldn’t be there today, why and what had recently happened.

She wanted to get up too, her stomach’s growling was enough of an indication that she should get some breakfast, but she couldn’t. She couldn’t risk Scootaloo waking up on her own. The Pegasus was still distraught over the loss of her aunt and the pain was still raw.

If Scootaloo didn’t have some comfort to wake up to, she might have a nervous breakdown.

Finally, at 10:34 the filly stirred, slowly opening her eyes.

“Hey, sweetie,” Lyra smiled, moving her hoof through her purple mane. “About time you woke up. I was wondering if you were gonna sleep all day.”

Scootaloo didn’t answer, just looked away, sitting up.

Lyra put a hoof on her shoulder. “Scootaloo, we want to help you, but we can’t do that if you don’t talk to us.”

Scootaloo sighed, her shoulders slumping a little. “Sorry, Lyra. I just... I miss her.” She bit her lip. “I miss them all... so much!”

Lyra pulled her into a hug and kept her there, letting her filly find comfort in her embrace.

For a long while they stayed like that, Scootaloo basking in the warmth of the elder mare.

Eventually, Scootaloo moved a little away, her head looking down, her eyes fixed on the diaper around her flank. She looked up at Lyra, a hurt expression on her face.

Lyra pulled her closer again, stroking her mane. “You know we only put it on you in case you had another accident in your sleep, right?” she soothed.

“I... I know that,” Scootaloo said, and Lyra noticed the shame in her voice. “I’m upset about it because... I used it.”

Lyra moved her foreleg down and patted her hoof on the diaper. Indeed, it had bulged out a little, a sign of having soaked up a night’s peeing.

“It’s okay, Scootaloo,” Lyra said, nuzzling the filly affectionately. “I don’t blame you for wetting yourself and neither does Bon-Bon. We know you can’t help it right now.”

Scootaloo only sniffled, tightening her grip on the unicorn.

After a few minutes of silence, Lyra pulled a little away and smiled at the filly. “How about we get some brunch?”

Scootaloo blinked, a tiny fraction of confusion entering the sadness in her eyes.

“It’s well passed 10:30, kid,” Lyra winked. “But, first, let’s get you cleaned up.”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened at the realization of the time, then she looked away, blushing about having wet herself and needing a bath.

Lyra carefully let go of Scootaloo and got out of bed, shortly followed by the Pegasus.

After a quick shower for the filly, Lyra led Scootaloo through the apartment, levitating a saddlebag onto her back and headed for the door.

She stopped and looked back when she noticed Scootaloo hadn’t followed to the door.

“Why’re you heading for the door?” she asked, looking confused. “Isn’t the kitchen that way?” she pointed a hoof in the kitchen’s direction.

Lyra smirked. It was a kind smirk though. “Brunch is far better at a cafe or restaurant than at home. And I have a feeling you’ll like where we’re going.”

Scootaloo blushed at the idea she was being treated to something other than a simple meal, but quickly followed the unicorn out the door, which closed and locked behind her magically.

The two ponies walked through the street, headed for a small place Lyra had gone to brunch several times at. It was the same restaurant/cafe where she’d proposed to Bon-Bon two years ago.

They stopped in front of the establishment a few minutes later and Lyra couldn’t help but chuckle quietly at Scootaloo’s shocked expression.

Indeed, The Grassy Knoll was a very awe-inspiring place. A two story building, painted in bright purple, with the words The Grassy Knoll in big yellow letters with an image of a beautiful knoll like the namesake set behind it.

Lyra nodded her head towards the building and started towards it, Scootaloo following right behind, her mouth still hanging open in awe.

They entered and a bell tinkled, signalling their arrival.

A blue unicorn mare with an hourglass Cutie Mark walked up to them from behind a counter wearing a purple vest and a small purple hat much like Mr. Cake’s on her head.

“Lyra,” she smiled as she stopped in front of the pair. “We haven’t seen you and Bon-Bon for a while now.”

Lyra scratched behind her head. “Sorry about that, Colgate. I only got back to Ponyville two nights ago and thing's have been a bit hectic.” Then she grinned. “Business at the dentist still slow, huh?”

Colgate blushed. “Yeah. It’s a good thing I took this second job a long time ago. You’d think, with the amount of sugary foods Pinkie eats she’d be visiting regularly, but she’s been maybe once in the last year.”

A small noise came from below them and they both looked to Scootaloo, who was looking a little anxious.

Colgate cocked her head. “Scootaloo. Didn’t expect to see you here.” She frowned, confused. “Wait. Why are you here? Shouldn't you be in school right now?”

“That’s... a long story, Colgate,” Lyra said, trying to defuse things before Scootaloo got too upset. “We’ll have two of the usual. Give Tasty Quiescence my regards too,” she winked.

The unicorn nodded and headed back to the counter and opened a small window, calling out, “Tasty! Lyra’s back. Two of the usual. And she gives her regards.”

“You got it,” a deep stallion’s voice chuckled from the other side, followed by, “Great ta have ya back, Lyra.”

“Thanks, Tasty!” she called back and giggled at the confused look on Scootaloo’s face.

Lyra led Scootaloo down a small hallway into a large dinning area big enough for about a thousand ponies.

Round tables were spread out, a majority of them occupied.

Lyra led Scootaloo to a table near the kitchen and they sat down and waited for their orders.

While they waited a purplish grey Pegasus mare walked up to their table, wearing the same uniform as Colgate had, carrying several bottles and cans.

“May I offer the ladies some refreshments?” she asked, looking from Lyra to Scootaloo.

“I’ll have an orange soda, Cloudkicker,” Lyra smiled, then turned to the filly next to her. “Scootaloo?”

The smaller Pegasus looked down, shifting a little. "Orange soda... please."

Cloudkicker nodded, then placed two cans of orange soda on the table before moving to another table.

Lyra opened her can and took a long sip.

Scootaloo took hers and did the same, though her sip was small.

A few minutes later what looked like two large bread rolls and some cutlery were brought over to them in a purple magical aura by a pink unicorn mare with purple eyes, mane and tail.

She placed them on the table then went away.

Scootaloo looked at the bread roll with confusion. It was large as a normal bowl. The inside had been hollowed out and filled with a soup of some kind.

The smell was of onions and leaks and made her mouth water. But the bread bowl itself was what puzzled her. She looked to Lyra, an eyebrow raised.

The unicorn chuckled. “I thought the same when I first ordered that.” She levitated a spoon, filled it with some soup and sipped it.

She sighed. Oh, Celestia, how she’d missed this soup. Nopony could make a soup like Tasty.

She turned to Scootaloo, who was still frowning at the bread bowl.

Lyra chuckled. “Tasty came up with the idea. The bread is strong enough that the soup stays inside and when you’re finished with the soup, the bread will have absorbed enough of the soup that it’s nice and tasty.”

“Bowls... you can eat?” the Pegasus asked, her voice showing signs of interest.

Lyra nodded. “And once you’ve tried the soup, you’ll wonder how you spent your whole life never having tasted it before.”

Scootaloo picked up her spoon, scooped up a spoonful of soup and looked hesitantly at Lyra. After a nod, she sipped the soup.

Lyra smiled warmly as Scootaloo’s eyes widened, before she started shoveling the soup down quickly.

Lyra chuckled and went on eating her own soup.

Once the soup was all gone for both of them, they eat their bowls, Scootaloo making squeeing noises as she savoured the taste.

When they were done, Lyra put a hoof on the filly’s shoulder.

Smiling, Scootaloo got up and followed her to the front, where Lyra placed some bits on the counter, which Colgate took and put in a cash register.

Both ponies waved goodbye to her and headed out, back towards the apartment.


Once back at the apartment, they went into the living room and sat down on the couch, Scootaloo leaning into Lyra’s side.

“Scootaloo?” she asked, looking down at the filly.

She looked up, smiling. “Yeah?”

Lyra sighed. “Scootaloo, I know this won’t be easy for you... but could you tell me how your parents died.”

Scootaloo stiffened and a small sob came from her. “Okay.”

She gave a sigh and snuggled closer to the unicorn.

“Four years ago, I was living in Baltimare. It was a great life. My mom and dad were so loving. They tried their best to make sure I was always happy.”

She shifted a little, and Lyra felt a small part of her fur become moist.

“One night, we were staying in an apartment before we moved. We were gonna be coming to Ponyville to help my aunt with something. I... didn’t know it back then, but, now that I think about it, it was probably her early stages of cancer.”

“I’m guessing things didn’t go as planned,” Lyra said, her voice heavy.

Scootaloo shook her head. “That night, a bunch of crooks broke into the complex. Several other ponies heard them and confronted them, trying to stop them. My parents were among them. When they were cornered, they tried to cause a small fire. What they didn’t know was the fuel tanks for the hot water were close to them and one was leaking a little.”

She whimpered, holding Lyra closer.

“When one of them lit the match, there was a huge explosion that destroyed the first few floors. I woke up in a hospital with burns on my legs... but not just there.”

Lyra felt her blood run cold. From the way Scootaloo had said that, it was as if something else had affected her and was still doing so.

“What else happened, honey?” she asked, tightening the foreleg around the filly.

Scootaloo whimpered again, a few more tears moistening Lyra’s fur. “My wings.”

Lyra’s heart dropped. Though she wasn’t a Pegasus, she knew their wings were as important to them as a unicorn’s horn was to any unicorn.

"Th-they told me they healed several months later, but..."Scootaloo started sobbing. “I-I act like I don’t worry about it, but I’m scared! I’m scared I’ll never be able to fly. I wanna be able t’ fly, Mommy!”

Lyra was silent for a second. One, because she was taking in the fact that Scootaloo thought she’d never be able to fly, and two, she’d just called her “Mommy”. She’d been calling her and Bon-Bon by their names before.

She put her head on Scootaloo’s and whispered, “You don’t have to fear, honey. I know you’ll fly. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday, I know you’ll fly and you’ll even give Rainbow Dash a run for her money.”

Scootaloo sniffed and moved her head to look up at Lyra. “You—” sniff, “You really think so?”

Lyra smiled. “I don’t think so, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo’s head dropped.

“I know so.”

She looked up again to see Lyra with a few tears of her own.

They both held onto each other for a long while, just enjoying the warmth of the other.

Author's Note:

here's chapter four, everypony.

i tried to make this chapter longer than the others, since some have commented they're a bit too short.

i hope that doesn't make it seemed padded out. i wanted to make this chapter about scoots getting over what has happened a little. i hope i did alright.

next chapter will involve the cmc going to lyra and bon-bon's house to ask if they could tell them why scoots didn't come to school that day.

and don't tell me i cut scoots' life story short. there will be chapter later on where both Lyra and bon-bon will learn more details about that thanks to luna.

and as for the restaurant scene, Eakin, i hope you don't mind that i used the name The Grassy Knoll or the bread bowls thing. i swear, that's all i borrowed and do not take credit for those. they were all your ideas and i will not pretend they're mine and take credit for them.


anyway, please leave your comments, everypony and I'll see you next time