• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 4,079 Views, 199 Comments

Halo: Equus - AK Yearling



The UNSC Forward Unto Dawn has drifted into a collision course with an uncharted planet. With Cortana's rampancy growing, Master Chief needs to find a way home.

  • ...
13
 199
 4,079

Confrontation

Rol 'Chusufai was an Ultra serving aboard the Fear to Prosperity. His family was one of the most well-respected on Sangheilios, and his battle record was uncanny; he had been personally responsible for the death of a Spartan on Harvest, and had single-handedly -- literally -- strangled the life out of an entire squad of Human marines when all of his weapons had run out of ammunition.

Why, then, he asked himself, am I being sent on a recon mission? I should be held in reserve in case there is a fight. There is no honor in this. He looked out on his unit. It wasn't much to look at, with a dozen Unggoy, five Kig-Yar, three of his own, and -- to his chagrin -- two Jiralhanae. The last he hated so much he didn't even bother to refer to them by their proper name most of the time. He felt that the Humans' name for their kind was much more apt; so he called them the Brutes. The Kig-Yar were foul and loathesome, to be sure, but the Brutes were worse still. They held power in the Covenant, they demanded respect, and their bloodthirst was unrivaled. Honor was a foreign concept to the Brutes, and as such they often preferred to eat their enemy after killing them.

Zeal and ruthlessness were not in and of themselves to be despised, by any means. They were traits that lent themselves to effective warriors, but in the absence of respect and rigorously enforced castes, they nearly always caused heathenish displays. Were it his choice, they would not have come along, but the Shipmaster had commanded it, and so it would be.

As he trudged through the thick forests, he heard one of the Unggoy screech, "Look, in the sky!"

Presuming it would be another of this planet's avian fauna, or perhaps an unusually fast-moving cloud -- like the last five times one of the Unggoy alerted him -- he looked over lazily. Seeing the ball of flame that filled the sky, however, attracted his attention.

"By the Gods, something to investigate." He smiled a bit as the object grew closer. Halfway through its descent, a second, much smaller ball of fire ejected from the side. He recognized it instantly as a Human Drop Pod. He had seen them before, notably when he took part in a mission on the planet the Humans had named Circinius Four. It crashed to the ground a few ships' lengths from where they were. With a little difficulty, he managed to round the panicked Unggoy back into formation. "Come," he declared to the the unit, "we must go forth." The unit trudged on in that direction as the rest of the wreckage -- as it was now apparent it was -- rocked the ground some great distance behind them.

After a few minutes of marching, the group came to a clearing. Rol motioned to the others to cease advancing and go quiet. Together with his brothers and the Brutes, he glanced out and saw a rising cloud of steam in the distance. In the middle of the field in front of them were six quadrupedal creatures. He quickly determined they were sapient by virtue of their speech, the language of which he recognized as English -- a Human language. Those that fraternized with Humans were no better than humans themselves -- but at the same time this was a species that the Covenant had never encountered. How were they to know that Humans were an affront to the Gods? It was the duty of the Covenant to spread the word of the Prophets, that all life may know the glory of the Great Journey. He made up his mind. They would offer these creatures the opportunity to join them.

As he was readying himself to reveal the unit, he heard one of the Kig-Yar behind him.

"English, they speak! Human-lovers! Oh, the joy, it has been so long since I killed!" He ignited his shield and bolted past Rol into the clearing, charging a full blast into his plasma pistol.

"Fool!" Rol bounded out of cover, overtaking the rushing Kig-Yar in only a few steps, and swiftly igniting his energy sword. He plunged it smoothly through the Kig-Yar's back. He let the dead beast drop limply to the ground, and turned his attention to the obviously horrified quadrupeds. He cleared his throat, since his English was very rusty, and began to speak.

"I am Rol 'Chusufai. I have saved your lives. In return, I only ask that you tell me; what are you?"

One of them, a purple, winged one with a protrusion on its head, spoke in a terrified tone. "Did you kill it?"

"Yes. You need fear the Kig-Yar no more."

"Why did you kill it?! How could you?!"

Rol was baffled. He took a moment before replying. "I killed him because he intended to kill you, against my orders."

A different one, pale-yellow with a pink mane, spoke up with a voice that sounded as though she -- he presumed it was a she -- may be crying. "Why would he want to kill us? Couldn't you have just stopped him?"

"Kig-Yar are foolish and bloodthirsty, and I did stop him. My boot to his throat; he was treacherous."

"How... how awful!"

He motioned behind him for the rest of the troop -- minus the Kig-Yar, who would be severely punished -- to reveal themselves. "These," he motioned to them, "are my allies. They come to ensure that none we meet may threaten our ways. Thus I ask: what connection have you to the Humans? You speak their language. Have you allied with them?"

"Humans don't exist." The purple one said plainly. "They are a myth."

"Were it only so," Rol laughed, "but no, they are quite corporeal. I have killed hundreds on my blade."

"You've killed HUNDREDS?" A flying blue one with prismatic hair exclaimed.

These creatures are strange. Such color variation... is it a ranking system? "Indeed. Which of you is of the highest rank?"

"Rank?" The blue one said. "We aren't ranked."

"Technically, Rainbow," the purple one corrected, "I hold an official rank now in Equestria's royalty." She stepped forward nervously but with determination. "I am Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria."

Royalty. Normally, a Sangheili would not bow to anyone, but in the interest of diplomacy, he motioned to his troops, and fell to one knee with the rest of the unit. "Highness." He stood up again, and the troops followed suit. From behind, he heard a commotion. A Sangheili voice and a Brute voice, both speaking in their native tongues.

"I bow to nobody!" The Brute exclaimed. "We should kill them now, they speak the language of Humans! Their flesh will feed the pack!"

"You disobey orders from your superior," the Sangheili, Yur 'Veledeamee, reprimanded, "this is treason!"

"What are you going to do about it, split-jaw?" The second Brute stood next to his companion.

"That is enough!" Rol bellowed. "We are attempting to bring more into the light of the Covenant, and your bickering is not assisting! You dishonor not only my command, but the Gods themselves. Now silence yourselves, Brutes, or I shall do so for you." He waved the hilt of his energy sword in their direction. With a few grumbles, they backed down. His two brothers held their plasma rifles close and watched the Brutes from the corners of their eyes. Rol returned to face the Princess. "Apologies, Princess Sparkle."

Twilight, taken aback by the harshness of their languages, stuttered for a moment. "It's... quite all right. With... respect, what -- who -- are you?"

"I am Rol 'Chusufai, accompanied by Yur 'Veledeamee and Des 'Nulukanee. We are Sangheili. Under our command are the Kig-Yar," he motioned to each species as he identified them, "Unggoy, and Jiralhanae."

"What are their names?"

"Unimportant. They are of inconsequential rank to warrant discourse with Royalty. They will not speak to you. To the matter at hand. We are of an alliance known as the Covenant, in service to the Prophets of the Gods, our Forerunners, whose long-left gifts lifted us from the shackles of ignorance into an era of blinding greatness, and which will propel us to the Great Journey, whereupon all the faithful shall know peace and prosperity."

"Oh... I see."

"Indeed. If you forsake all connections with the Human species, we can propose your integration into the Covenant, that you too might join the Great Journey."

"Uhhhh..." the purple one drew out, "I think that we should discuss this with Princess Cele --"

A metal-on-ground sound caught Rol's ears. He looked to the ground and saw a Human grenade. "Get down!"

His two brothers bolted out of range of the blast, and he bolted forward to shield the Princess. His shields flared, and he hissed with pain from the concussive force. "Humans!" He growled with a smile as he ignited his sword. The Unggoy began to drop one after the other, and the Brutes fired their simplistic weapons randomly and animalistically. His brothers sent bolts of blue plasma flying downrange. "Finally... a fight!"


Chief exited the water slowly and deliberately. He began the process of draining his rifle.

"So what's the plan, Cortana?"

"We need to find a way off this planet. Since the only ships capable of breaking atmo are Covenant, and most likely out of commission, I think we're going to have to explore alternate routes."

"Like?"

"I'll let you know when I think of one."

Chief stopped to check over his gear. Everything seemed okay after the submarine adventure he and Cortana had enjoyed while getting to the shore. Just as long as there was no water stuck in the barrel of his rifle. He pulled the magazine and turned it upside down to empty it. Pulling the charging handle, he ejected an unspent round, which he caught and deftly put back into its magazine before reseating it and chambering it again. He drained the other two magazines and had his armor run a quick diagnostic. His shield generator was at 83% power, more than enough to last him for weeks without a recharge. His motion tracker seemed flawless, his radio functioned brilliantly, and every element of his HUD was up to date.

"Let's be honest, Chief. It's not the weirdest thing we've ever seen."

He silently agreed as he continued to walk on. Where there are horses, he figured, there are humans. Where there are humans, there's transport. He walked off in the direction that he saw the horses run. After a few minutes, he heard voices. Shouldering his rifle, he crouched behind a bush.

"... forsake all connections with the Human species, we can propose your integration into the Covenant, that you too might join the Great Journey."

Elites. He peeked over the bush and sighted an entire unit of Covenant, talking with horses. Electing to reconcile that insanity later, he prepped his frag grenade and threw it so that it landed right next to the big Elite, who grabbed his comrades and dove out of the way. The grenade exploded, taking out a Jackal and disorienting the majority of the Grunts. He took that opportunity to start peppering rounds in their direction, dropping them one after another. The horses ran away, predictably, and the Elites and Brutes began to return fire. The Grunts and Jackals had been annihilated. He rose and sprinted to a more substantial piece of cover just as a plasma grenade incinerated the bush he had been using to conceal himself. The big Elite barked orders while the Brutes, predictably, ignored them. Chief reared back like he was throwing a baseball pitch and hurled his last grenade, a plasma, toward one of the two Brutes, who were standing shoulder-to-shoulder. It stuck square on the beast's helmet, sending it into a rage. A second later, it detonated, killing both of the apes. With another burst from his rifle, Chief dropped one of the Elites. He turned his aim to face the second one, but a pull of the trigger turned up nothing. He was out of ammo.

The two Elites grinned maliciously as Chief threw his rifle to the ground roughly. The big one pointed his plasma rifle at Chief and pulled the trigger, only to find himself in a similar position. He threw it away a great distance into the forest and pulled a plasma sword from his hip. Chief charged toward him at full speed, and the Elite matched his action. As the Elite reared his arm back for a swing, Chief used all the strength he could to jump. He pushed himself higher by grabbing the Elite's helmet and extending his arms. Somehow, he managed to pull the helmet with him, off of the Elite's head. Another few bounds and he was within striking distance of the second Elite. Pulling his arm back, he swung the big one's helmet into the side of the second Elite, causing its shields to cascade down. The Elite, caught off balance, fell roughly to the ground and scrambled backwards as Chief slowly advanced toward him. With a few extra-long steps, Chief stood on the Elite's chest and pulled one leg up. Dropping his boot as hard as he could onto the Elite's face, he felt its skull give way as the beast stopped writhing beneath him. He turned back around to face the big Elite, who growled menacingly as he walked deliberately in Chief's direction. The two warriors picked up the pace as they charged each other. The Elite readied a blow with his sword, and Chief with his fist. They were feet apart when suddenly they both became immobile. Chief's vision was obscured by a purple filter, but he could see that the Elite was similarly enveloped.

"Stop it right now!" A female voice screamed.

"Cortana?" Chief asked.

"No," she replied, "that wasn't me."

"Why in Equestria are you two trying to KILL each other?!" The first called again with shock and horror plain in her voice.

"This human is an affront to the Gods!" The Elite growled.

"Cortana, can you take the power from my shields and route them into the suit's musculature?"

"If you're sure, Chief."

"Do it."

"Okay!"

His shields dropped, and his suit rang in alarm. Using all the strength he could, he struggled against the purple force that held him, and with a grunt of exertion, broke free. Another couple of wide strides brought him face-to-face with the Elite, and he used all the force he could to punch into the side of its head. Its shields collapsed, and the purple force released it. The Elite fell to the ground limply, groaning. Chief reared his boot up for a similar execution to the last one, but suddenly found himself pushed back.

"Don't kill him! He can't defend himself! He's not going to kill you now."

Chief turned to see who had been talking, and stared in confusion when he saw that it was, in fact, the purple horse. She moved and knelt next to the unconscious Elite. Five others were staring at him with terror.

Oh, what the hell?

Author's Note:

Old habits die hard.

Chapter two, my friends. Enjoy.