• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,105 Views, 22 Comments

A thousand redemptions for a thousand dead sons. - ThatRarityIsaSpy



65 standard years after the destruction of the realm of chaos, the Primarch Magnus the red makes one least gamble to destroy the Imperium. A motley band of misfits are all that stand in his way.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,105

Chapter 1

The procession was long and those standing to watch were tormented by the heavy rain that wet manes and drenched coats. All they could do was watch. Their tears added to the water that fell from the sky.

Twilight Sparkle, last of the elements of Harmony had just died yesterday.

From the crowd. A lone dragon watched. He was still short for a dragon, yet that was due to his relative young age. He stood just slightly shorter than the average pony.

"Twilight..." Spike's deepened voice choked. Choked from his tears, his anguish, his sorrow. The being most like his sister was dead, and he knew he would miss her much. He had always dreaded that a day like this would happen, and here it was, his worst nightmare was upon him. There was nothing he could do.

"Why?" Spike croaked. Why did she have to die? Why did just last year, when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, now as one being, offer her a way to extend her life-span? Why did she have to refuse? Why?!

Was it that she feared the technology the humans used to extend their own lives? Was it that she disapproved of their ways of magic, and it's instability? Or was it that she believed, she had run her course? Whatever it was, it didn't matter. He wanted nothing more than her to be alive.

"Spike...want...." Spike muttered through his tears.

"Spike...want...."

"Mr... are you okay?" A filly asked. "Is there something you want?"

"SPIKE WANTS TWILIGHT TO BE ALIVE!!!"




The massive explosion was visible from Malcador's standpoint. He instantly knew what was going on even before it happened. Going over, he watched the massive dragon roar defiantly at the heavens themselves, finally robbed of it's most precious treasures.

"Spike..." Malcador said slowly. His voice soothing to the ears even above all the din and panic the dragon was causing. "Spike... if you can hear me... listen to the sound of my voice."

The dragon roared again, almost as if that was it's ay of showing it didn't want to listen to him. It was only just interested in screaming and crying in it's own language. Something that caused a few Astartes to appear with bolters at the ready. Only Malcador's orders made them not shred Spike that very moment.

"Spike... if you can hear me... listen to me...." Malcador whispered through his mind. "Twilight is good. She is at a well deserved rest, and she is happy. Do you care for her? Do you love her? Then you should be happy for her, that she will spend eternity in a blissful slumber than another century of tiring life... calm yourself... rest... your anger will drive you to ruin..."

_____________________________________________________________________________________


"The last of the elements have died." Galaxia muttered sadly. "It seems we will have to find new bearers."

"Indeed. This can take the course of minutes, days, weeks, or perhaps eons." Sigmar said as he sat down upon his throne to contemplate what to do next. "We don't have the luxury of time anymore."

"The irony of defeating one's greatest opponent and realizing we only chipped the tip of the iceberg." Galaxia replied. The alicorn stared out the window. "What now?"

"I will task Cypher with finding the best candidates for the elements." The Emperor replied as he got up. "You think..."

"I doubt it. They will turn up eventually, and when they do, we will know because of the bond they share with one another. Cypher is need elsewhere. The eastern fringes of the galaxy perhaps?"

"Yes... right... we can't ever take our eyes off that place." The Emperor sighed. "It seems that my work grows only harder with every victory."

"Even with the greatest armies at your side, the greatest warriors, the best intellectuals and having the greatest mind, body and soul, we all have our limits. They may be far off, perhaps we may never reach them, but they exist."

"And with almost no limit, I am cursed to never sleep, never rest, never being able to enjoy the pleasures of life, only eternal toil to better the life others... that is pleasure in itself. It is the only pleasure left."

"Perhaps that is why we were always jealous of mortals. They were never cursed with this thing they call immortality that they always seek out."

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Photep

The long lines of chained slaves extended as far the eye could see, many of them groaning, weeping and moaning in their infinite pain, caused by the cruel masters that were the sorcerers of the Thousand sons, who seemed to take pleasure with their every ounce of suffering.

Save for one....

There as a particular member of the legion who was not present currently to torment the slaves. He was away, in a lone cell, at the foot of the bed of a frail and old woman. Without his helmet, one would assume he was a loyalist and not a chaos sorcerer.

"For your sake... you must eat." The sorcerer pleaded. "Please...."

"I can't..." The old woman wept. "I can't... Kertus... please... don't make me..."

"Stay alive... please..." The giant of a man begged. He never uttered an order, never a threat. He was little above going to his knees to beg at this old woman. What for? For her to eat something. For her to stay alive.

"You must stay alive! You must!" Kertus said, his calm voice did little to disguise his true feelings on the matter.

"Every moment you waste on me, ten more will die. Kertus... their lives are more important. There are tender children under cruel masters that need care, abused women who need hope, broken men who need to know there is a way out... only you can give them that."

"If you die..." Kertus said. "You know what I will do to."

"No! You mustn't!" The old woman leapt up with surprising speed for someone as ill and weak as she was. "Kertus! You promised me!"

"I can always break a promise if you aren't there to see me to." Kertus said. Saying those words for him was like chewing on a rock. He hated every syllable with every ounce of his soul.

"Kertus... why? Why didn't you save yourself? Why?!"

"Because if I had, millions would have died. You among them."

"Kertus...."

"Mother...."