• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 480 Views, 28 Comments

The City of Dreams - maxxxxxx



Three mares, three dreams, one city. Follow their lives as their future unfolds. Will it be a dream come true or a nightmare?

  • ...
1
 28
 480

A Chance Encounter

Cloud Drift and Synth continued down the street, side by side, the streets became cleaner and the kind of ponies they passed were different than downtown. They were in a tourist block, expensive shops and foods and hotels surrounded them. Cloud Drift felt the calming effect of nicotine leave her, in it's wake, a powerful craving for another cig, she knew she couldn't bum another one off Synth, but damn she wanted one. Taking a deep breath, she focused on a building in front of them, it was a small, with large windows facing the street and a fenced off area with several tables for outside dining. I had an ornate and large sign displaying it's name to any passer by: Doux de Trèfle.

“Well… I think I'm going to head to band practice.” Synth said wearily as she looked between her friend and the restaurant.

“Yeah, you do that.” Drift said absently, her eyes tracking a truck as it rolled into an alley behind the establishment.

“Be careful okay, it'll be hard for you to get me back for that cig if you're in behind bars.”

“Yeah, you just make sure you aren't seen either, your brother will be pissed if he has to deal with DCF for you're skipping school again.” She chuckled.

“Yeah, I know it. He'll give me an excuse when I get home just so he doesn't have to deal with that shit. Anyway, I'll be fine. I'll see ya round Drift.” Synth turned around and began walking towards a side street.

“See ya round.” With that goodbye out of the way, she watched from her periphery as Synth vanished behind some buildings as she rounded the corner, once her friend was out of site, Drift made her way to Doux de Trèfle.

The restaurant staff were busy inside, getting ready for another busy day, waiters prepared tables and the cooks were busy in back. As Drift approached, she could hear the sounds of heavy hooves and wooden boxes, peering around the corner down the alley where the delivery carts unloaded, she saw two large stallions hard at work removing crates from the back of the cart. She knew the drill, it was simple, so she watched carefully as they worked, waiting for an opening. Yeah, there were other ways of getting food in Manehattan, legal and free, she knew that better than most, having steered more than a few needy and hungry to them. Her stomach again growled and ached, begging for sustenance. Come on, hurry up already!

Just as she began worrying her stomach would give her away before so could grab anything, she saw her chance as both stallions struggled with a large wooden crate, carefully hauling it down the ramp and slowly guiding it to the back door. Cloud Drift quickly scanned around her, finding that the coast was clear she as quickly and quietly as she could sprinted to the cart. Most of the boxes were removed, and the few boxes left were in the back of the cart. Drift padded to a box and haphazardly tore through part of the cardboard, and shiny, crisp light green apples poured out. Damn, this place is ritzy, these things must be expensive, shit, I can see my reflection in these apples.

Sweeping them off the floor and scooping them into her foreleg, she collected her prize, grabbing one with her mouth, the sweet but tart juices flowed into her mouth from the crisp, firm fruit. It took monumental self control to not begin eating right then.

“Hey! What do you think you're doing!”

Drift spun around, several apples spilling from her bent leg as she turned. They two stallions were standing outside at the back of the cart looking less than thrilled to see her. Shit.

“I said what do you think you're doing you bitch! Put those down!” He turned to his coworker. “Go call the cops, I'll keep her here.”

“Yeah, you stole from the wrong cart drivers, lady!” He chuckled before going off to call the authorities. Then, Drift saw her chance as his back was turned. She dropped all but the apple in her mouth and sprinted full speed at them. The space was too narrow to open her wings, but she's had a lot of practice running, ducking her head low, she charged. With all her strength in her hind legs she jumped over the stallions, having higher ground on them thanks to the cart she was in, she leaped right over their heads, her hooves clicking against the ground as she landed, the impact shook her body, forcing her to bite down on her apple, breaking off a large chunk but allowing the rest of it to fall to the ground. Of fucking course! No time!

She could hear her pursuers hoof beats right behind her, her jump hadn't put her far ahead. She began running as fast as she could, frantically chewing the bite of apple as her lungs burned for more air. She bolted down side street and down alleys, she could still hear their hooves, but they were growing slower and quieter. With a deep gulp, she swallowed her apple and gasped for breath, with her mouth free, she spread her wings and without looking back behind her, she took to the air flying low and fast.

“Damn it, this sucks!” She growled. “Well, I wont be able to go around that part of town for a while.” Drift felt her wings ache and her head was light. She had done way too much running a flying and not nearly enough eating. Trying to conserve energy, she spread her wings wide and glided back down town, back to the slums, no pony would follow her there, no pony in their right mind. She was gliding just high enough to have a decent view of the city in front of her. The polished towering buildings as fine architecture gave way to cookie cutter apartments, many of which were in disrepair, and crumbling infrastructure. The air began to smell heavy of cigarette smoke, smog and urban decay. Home sweet home.
*************************************************************

The hours had past slowly, Cloud Drift had wandered around the city, avoiding the burbs and the business district. Her empty belly was only growing less tolerable as the day progressed. She sucked down a cigarette she bummed near the train station. She knew going there was risky since it was on the boarder of the business district, but it was the best place to bum change and cigs.

Today's just been one fuck up after another, starting with waking up. I hate this place. Her cigarette smoldered at it's filter as she took one last slow, longing inhale. 'I really hate this place.' She spit the smoking remains onto the sidewalk. “Wonder if Synth could hook me up with something to eat?”

“Um, Excuse me sir I-” A voice squeaked. Cloud Drift looked up to see a young mare, an earth pony with pale orange fur and a purple-pink mane timidly asking for help from passing strangers.

What's up with her? She new here? Look at her, strutting around like that, carrying that bag in this part of town. Anger flared up within Cloud Drift as she glared at the mare.

“Ma'am, do you think you could help me? I'm trying to find Exmoore Ave, do you think you could help me? I just moved here and I'm kind of lost.” She was practically begging for help from a stranger. Of course, she got blown off. A spiteful and devilish grin spread across Cloud Drift's face.

I think… I'll lend her a hoof.

Comments ( 1 )

A very good read. A very good read indeed,

Login or register to comment