• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,347 Views, 48 Comments

No Matter The Cost. - Cyan rainbow



A changeling tired of chrysalis' schemes decides to go against her in one final stand.

  • ...
4
 48
 1,347

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Celestia paced nervously around her quarters with an almost painful looking expression upon her muzzle. Achieving success throughout the current situation was absolutely critical to the safety of Equestria, for it may be the only chance she got to save the wedding and—though she shuddered to think so—Equestria as a whole. Her thoughts drifted back to Locust sleeping soundly within the private quarters she had assigned him. The thought of the immense trouble he put himself through being for nothing in the end made her heart flood with guilt to the point of outright defiance.

The sun princess’ thoughts were welcomely interrupted as the door to her private quarters swung open to reveal Luna, her pacing slowly suppressed into nothing as her worries died down.

“You called, sister?” Luna asked with a well hidden tone of worry.

“Indeed,” Celestia replied, concerned. “Please, take a seat my dear sister.”

Luna did as she was asked, though reluctantly, as Celestia began pacing once again. Her worry could not be quelled until she was satisfied, and she would be much too agitated to sit still until such a deed was done.

“I have received news from a new guest of ours that an invasion is on its way.” Luna’s look of worry morphed into outright horror at those words, and Celestia held up a hoof for reassurance. “I assure you, Luna, it is nothing we shouldn’t be able to handle ourselves. Furthermore, if done cautiously, we may be able to proceed with the wedding unheeded.”

Luna smiled at her sister’s words, prompting her to continue with a slight nod.

Celestia returned the smile. “Our guest has explained to me the plans of the enemy thus far, and how she and her army intend to infiltrate our defences. Though, the idea troubles me greatly, I believe we may be able to beat her at her own game, should we succeed in unravelling her plans.”

Celestia proceeded to convey the information locust had supplied her, her face equal parts concern and suspicion towards her sister, much to Luna’s confusion. At last, Celestia sighed as she relayed to Luna Chrysalis’ plan to infiltrate through the canterlot royalty.
Luna’s face morphed into anger as she opened her mouth to rant, likely containing the parts regarding her past that felt most important to Celestia, when the older sibling smiled and held up a hoof once again.

“I do not believe you are the suspect, my dear sister. I can tell from your eyes alone that you would not dare to harm this kingdom. However, I do wish to ask a favour of you.”

With that, Celestia conveyed her plan to the younger, her face changing through all emotions to previously cross her recent muzzle.

As Luna turned to leave, one last thing crossed her mind. She turned to Celestia, nervousness etched in her tone as she voiced her concerns. “Are you certain one of their own kind can be trusted sister? I had thought they were all operating under one consciousness.”

Celestia only smiled. “This young one is different Luna, not just mentally, but in physical appearance and magic as well. I will send him to you after he has awoken before he visits his parents so you may see for yourself.

“Very well, sister. I look forward to it.”

She nodded to Celestia as she took her exit. Celestia strolled to her balcony, and glanced outwards to the southern lands. “We will stop you, Chrysalis. We always will, no matter the cost to us.”

*

I awoke to the welcoming memory of the castle’s guest quarters, feeling the much needed rest spread relief to all my limbs. My head still snapped at my nervous, but without the intent of disorienting my physical abilities as well. I stretched and cracked my limbs, curious as to how long the sandmare had me within her embrace.

The door to my current quarters opened and I glanced towards the entrance to my room to see the warmth radiating sun princess look towards me with empathy. It was clear she worried for my state of mind after what my previous years had put me through. Why though? Was it normal for ponies to empathize with each other? I found myself welling up again at the lack of empathy over the years. Hay, there wasn’t even any sympathy in the hive, never mind empathy! Celestia must have seen my envy, as she walked up and wrapped a wing around my body comfortably.

“It’s ok, my little pony. I am here for you.”

That’s where I lost it. All those years of missed companionship and laughing with friends came pouring out in a neverending stream. I bawled until Celestia’s hooves and wing were soaked, yet she refused to even complain, let alone move away. But that only made it worse.

I must have cried for at least half an hour before I had nothing left. All those years of welling up emotions—anger, sadness, envy—all coming out at once. Celestia smiled as I finished, glancing up at her. “How can you be so caring?” I asked dryly. Her smile faltered somewhat as she realized what I’d meant.

We NEVER cared for each other in the hive. We were born, we worked, and we passed. That’s all there was. No one remembered, and no one cared. I had always lived this way, and yet somehow it had always felt wrong. But I never questioned it, for it was always the way of changelings, and they were forbidden to question the queen. And now, now I knew why I did so-I was never a changeling. Chrysalis’ had robbed me of my very identity! For that, I could never forgive her.

“My sister would like to meet you, if you are willing,” Celestia said suddenly. “She is not as informed as I am of your current situation, though I’m sure you could change her feelings towards you if you just act as yourself.” She smiled again, that warmth giving smile always penetrating my shell.

“Of course princess. I am always willing to support ponies with mentalities of yours.” I smiled at her myself, my first smile in years erasing the pain from my face.

She smiles back, as always, replying with a tone like a mother to her own son, “I’m sure you will get along with the denizens of our nation just fine. Come.”

With that, I followed her towards her sister’s chambers. She rapped slightly on the door before it opened with a soft click and groan.

“Locust, meet my sister, Luna. I will leave you two to your introductions.” Celestia left without another word.

That left me face to face with a cold look of judgement from Luna herself. She continued to glare for a few seconds before letting out a sigh and nodding with a single word, “Come.”

I followed her warily into her own quarters as she turned to regard me. “My sister says you are to be trusted, and I see she was correct in stating you are different.” I opened my mouth to reply, which she silenced with the gentle and patient hoof raise. “Your looks are obvious… Locust?” I nodded. “However, the magical energy stored within your being is also unlike I’ve ever felt emanate from a changeling. You are unique, that is apparent, though I wish to look into your memories for your true intentions, only if you are willing.”

“You may, princess.”

Luna lowered her horn to meet my own, and I found myself swirling aimlessly through my own memories. All those years of my defiance and distrust towards Chrysalis, as well as the punishments and misery with them surrounded and engulfed me. I screamed at the realism of it all, for I felt everything as if I were going through it for the first time once again. The anger I felt was just as seething, the punishments just as agonizing. I fought back, struggling to leave the memory to preserve my conscience and mind for the morrow.

A white light suddenly washed over me, calming and stilling my quivering form. Luna’s voice was heard around me, urging on my serenity. “Be still Locust. I cannot focus on unravelling your memories with you actively resisting their bearing upon your conscience. You must accept that they are a part of you, as nopony may change that, and doing so will assist you in accepting as well as overcoming your past.” I calmed, albeit slowly, with the help of her mind-healing magic and reasoning.

After an eternity of floating within my own self, I awoke to the pleased smile of princess Luna. She stared down at me, her mother-like expression betraying her past intentions. At last, she spoke, “I must admit, it was a pleasure to view your memories Locust. You are, as my sister advised, a true pony at heart.” She smiled down at me once more before continuing, “I wish to ask for thy help should the invasion breach our initial plan.”

I stared dumbfounded by her comment. Why me? She had barely met me, let alone knew my talents! I wracked my brain for any way in which I could possibly assist before Luna finally voiced my concerns.

“I could see from your expression alone that you were harmless, Locust. The memory experience was a test. I wanted to see how you would fare in the presence of physical and emotional pain caused by those who would despise you, and if you would be open enough to allow assistance in times of need. Working together is a key part to being integrated into pony society.” Luna grinned as she looked down upon me. “How would you like to help us thwart chrysalis’ scheme?”

I had never smiled as much as I had at that moment. Somepony had asked me to help defeat my biggest nemesis and all the grievance that she had caused! I couldn’t help but bound around the room in joy in a manner that would have another changeling begging for mercy. Luna only laughed.

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she replied as I regained control of myself. “I will convey your mission at a later time. For now, I wish for you to meet some close friends of mine. I’m sure they can help you fit into modern pony society, just as they did with me not so long ago.”

With that, I followed Luna out of her chambers to her intended destination. My heart and soul burst with joy as I bound after her, unable to forget the harmony she and Celestia had showed me thus far. The thought of living with ponies of this personality complexion continued to fuel my grin and joy through the entire trip before me.

Author's Note:

University suuuuucks.

Anyways, please be brutal with grammar feedback this time. I feel I messed up on some rules after not writing for so long. Also, for those wondering why Locust's different looks aren't mentioned in the earlier chapters, I just recently decided to pay for a comission at bronyCAN this year (which was a blast :twilightsmile:) and came up with the looks on the spot.

I hope to update more frequently, but with full time university, a part time job, and all the pen and paper games I'm working on modules for to play with friends, as well as the one I'm creating from scratch, I don't know if I can. So wish me luck, it'll be good to see you all again :twilightsmile: